Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2021, 20:21   #961
BHPian

Re: Kia Sonet : Official Review

The only other difference I found is the leg room space in the rear seat and front seat. The width and height of Seltos and Sonet are almost similar (1790/1800-Width). Seltos is a bit lengthier. I could tell this difference since my dad owns a Seltos and I have a Sonet. I tried to align both the vehicles in a straight line to see the difference.

The other difference is in the features which you have rightly pointed out.

Last edited by chetancm7 : 4th February 2021 at 20:27. Reason: few grammatical mistakes
chetancm7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 20:22   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Dear members, I am looking for a small SUV for city run abouts. Was looking at a nicely loaded automatic car, no such fuel type preference.
Between the Sonet top end and theSeltos mid variants, I would pick the Sonet for the safety features on offer (ESP, VSM, 6 airbags).
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 21:36   #963
BHPian

Got a call and e-mail from my SA stating the car has been allocated. Can't believe the long wait is coming to an end finally.
Old 7th February 2021, 23:19   #964

Accessories / Modifications for / to the Kia Sonet in Delhi / NCR

Dear Forum Members,

This is my first thread on the forum and I seek the advice of the forum members regarding modifications / accessories for the Kia Sonet. I am a resident of Delhi and I had booked the Sonet Diesel 6AT HTK+ with Frontier Kia at Safdarjung Enclave. The vehicle has arrived and is currently undergoing PDI at Gurgaon prior to delivery on 12 Feb 21.

1. I seek to get the following done in the vehicle and seek answers to the questions listed agaianst eack type of work desired:-

(a) Modify the rear seat to increase swab & add headrests as well as centre armrest - intend to get then done from Rahul @ Palika Bazaar as reccomended in this forum. Could Forum Members suggest other reliable places in Delhi to get this done ?

(b) Replace existing IVRM with Auto Dimming IVRM - This requires 12 V input to the IVRM. Given that Sonet is new in the market, Could Forum Members reccomend a reliable place in Delhi where this modcould get done by professionals who know their way around the Sonet's fuse box ? Also, would such a mod via the fuse box render the extended warranty void ? If so, would it better to run a cable to the 12 V socket below the display (and above the gear lever) to power the IVRM ? Can such a connection be drawn directly from the battery.

(c) I seek fit the Honeywell car air purifier (I already own it) in the Sonet - I seek a reliable mod shop who can secure the wires of the above mentioned IVRM and thepurifier upto the available 12 V socket.

(d) I also seek a good shop that could also fit 3D mats, "Diesel" sticker on the fuel cap and Floot mat for the boot.

(e) Is the fitment of a pin type gear lock possible for the Sonet 6AT HTK+ ? If so, where in Delhi could I get this reliably fitted ?

Would be most grateful if the Forum Members could guide me on a one stop shop for all these requirements or 02 shops - one for the rear seat mods and one for the balance mods.
Old 9th February 2021, 16:19   #965
BHPian

I have tentatively booked a HTK+ DCT with Naara Kia in JP Nagar. What's the best deal people in Bengalooru have been able to extract for this model?
I tried pretty hard and could only get them to back off on the insurance part.
The waiting period is supposed to be 3 months+ as of now.
Old 13th February 2021, 15:54   #966
BHPian

And she's here!

Kia Sonet : Official Review-img_20210213_112004.jpg

Timeline

Date of booking - Nov 20
Changing booking from HTK+ 1.2 to HTX 1.0 - Dec 22
Date of allocation - Feb 6, 2021.
Date of vehicle reaching Chennai - Feb 8, 2021
Date of delivery - Today, 13th Feb, 2021 (as requested).

The service from Capital Kia, Chennai has been stellar, other than the discussion about the insurance where they openly said they are asked to get the customer to pay. My SA threw in the 3D mats for free as "his way of making up for it", and I didn't want to go up against them for a few thousand rupees.

Detailed initial ownership thread is under construction. Thank you to everyone (especially the person who gave the information that skewed my purchase from HTK+ to HTX) who helped me with my various queries, especially regarding the 1.2 NA engine and its power (rather, lack of it).
DeathPig is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 15:03   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I have tentatively booked a HTK+ DCT with Naara Kia in JP Nagar. What's the best deal people in Bengalooru have been able to extract for this model?
I tried pretty hard and could only get them to back off on the insurance part.
The waiting period is supposed to be 3 months+ as of now.
No,I don’t think any sort of freebies or deal will be given on this product as of now! Specially in Bangalore by naara. They might throw in a couple of freebies at Max!

The best deal that you got is the insurance part, I’ve been getting queries from people in my circles about this and dealers have barely stopped being snobby about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
And she's here!

Attachment 2121322

Timeline

Date of booking - Nov 20
Changing booking from HTK+ 1.2 to HTX 1.0 - Dec 22
Date of allocation - Feb 6, 2021.
Date of vehicle reaching Chennai - Feb 8, 2021
Date of delivery - Today, 13th Feb, 2021 (as requested).

The service from Capital Kia, Chennai has been stellar, other than the discussion about the insurance where they openly said they are asked to get the customer to pay. My SA threw in the 3D mats for free as "his way of making up for it", and I didn't want to go up against them for a few thousand rupees.

Detailed initial ownership thread is under construction. Thank you to everyone (especially the person who gave the information that skewed my purchase from HTK+ to HTX) who helped me with my various queries, especially regarding the 1.2 NA engine and its power (rather, lack of it).
Congratulations! This is a beautiful colour I would’ve picked this as well if only my other car was not red!
Waiting for the thread!
Old 15th February 2021, 22:37   #968
BHPian

Took Delivery of a GTX+ Black Sonet last week ! Smooth and transparent booking experience followed by a timely delivery of the car in less than 10 weeks due to a cancelation!

Initial impressions are fantastic. The ride is a bit firm but should improve once Michelin footwear is freely available in the market. Everything else about the car is excellent including the Bose music system, ventilated seats and headlights! Overall a very satisfied customer so far !
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sonet : Official Review-20210121_152357.jpg  

Dieselite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 02:14   #969
BHPian

Please see the plight of a customer who brought Kia Sonet GTX+ in good faith, It caught fire during drive due to engine overheat and no warnings blinked, the customer and his family were locked in and was tough to get out of the car.

Folks at Kia India are so arrogant that they are not even responding even after legal notice was sent to them.

See his pain and agony on his twitter handle

https://twitter.com/anshul_gangawat?s=09

Almost 3L Kia cars were recalled in US for risk of engine compartment overheating and catching fire and they were fined heavily by US NHTSA (link below).

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0500781_1.html.

KIA needs to do something about quality before things go out of hands

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th February 2021 at 13:49. Reason: As reported
arcotsrinivas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:02   #970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcotsrinivas View Post
Please see the plight of a customer who brought Kia Sonet GTX+ in good faith, It caught fire during drive due to engine overheat and no warnings blinked, the customer and his family were locked in and was tough to get out of the car.
Of course heart goes out to the owner who is now sitting with a charred scrap metal that used to be around 13 lakhs worth earlier. I hope he gets an amicable closure and resolution to his troubles. Good that there was time for all to come out safely.

However - I wonder what forensic experts/CSU actually managed to pin-point to this being a fire caused by engine overheat. There is hardly anything left of the car to work with. Its just raw metal that didn't melt. The fire could have been caused by anything. Incorrect wiring connections at dealership, improper accessory fitments, even something as trivial as rat-damaged wires causing a short circuit. Rather remarkable that someone was able to categorically prove that this was caused by engine over-heating . I haven't heard of a fire caused by engine overheat in a long time.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th February 2021 at 12:10.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 08:18   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Of course heart goes out to the owner who is now sitting with a charred scrap metal that used to be around 13 lakhs worth earlier. I hope he gets an amicable closure and resolution to his troubles. Good that there was time for all to come out safely.

However - I wonder what forensic experts/CSU actually managed to pin-point to this being a fire caused by engine overheat. There is hardly anything left of the car to work with. Its just raw metal that didn't melt. The fire could have been caused by anything. Incorrect wiring connections at dealership, improper accessory fitments, even something as trivial as rat-damaged wires causing a short circuit. Rather remarkable that someone was able to categorically prove that this was caused by engine over-heating . I haven't heard of a fire caused by engine overheat in a long time.
I don't think that it can be a cause from faulty wiring etc as Anshul's unit is a top of the line GTX+ which comes fully loaded with all features including Bose Audio System and no other acceorries which need wiring modification are required at all.

KIA in the US had 3100 engine fire incidents in 2019 which had 103 people injured and one death Multiple fines have been placed on KIA by NHTSA

Folks at KIA are forcing him to claim Insurance for a 2 month old car instead of replacing it as goodwill as it seems to be a manufacturing defect, They are also not even declaring the cause of fire to the Insurance Company hence Anshul has to call for Forensic Investigation.

Is KIA fearing a Recall if they admit about the manufacturing defect?
Old 17th February 2021, 11:53   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that it can be a cause from faulty wiring etc as Anshul's unit is a top of the line GTX+ which comes fully loaded with all features including Bose Audio System and no other acceorries which need wiring modification are required at all.
That's a bit speculative. My car is also a top of the line trim. It didn't really need any mods either. However - some day we should meet & I'll show you the sheer amount of electrical modifications that are already present in it. And none are superficial either. So the accessories and mods are purely related to a person's imagination, not what the car came with. I'm not saying there were mods of course - I don't know. I'm just saying, this possibility shouldn't just be discounted by default.
Quote:
KIA in the US had 3100 engine fire incidents in 2019 which had 103 people injured and one death Multiple fines have been placed on KIA by NHTSA
Those though - were cars with completely different power-trains than what is present in the Seltos/Sonet AFAIK. Elsewhere in the world I don't think there are stats to prove an inherent issue in the cars/designs.
Quote:
They are also not even declaring the cause of fire to the Insurance Company hence Anshul has to call for Forensic Investigation.
Thats what I was referring in the OP too. What is left of the car based on which one can conclude on the root cause? Its open to speculation really. Nothing is left. Some forensic expert hired by the victim, giving a verdict that it is not the victim's fault, will always be looked at with a pinch of salt.
Quote:
Is KIA fearing a Recall if they admit about the manufacturing defect?
This I think would be a very low probability. For a rich organization like Hyundai-Kia - recalling a few million cars for safety fixes isn't a big deal. In fact helps their brand value further. Internally of course they may be investigating further to find if there really is an issue. If they casually go ahead and accept that this customer's case was due to a design/manufacturing issue - imagine the questions that other million customers would ask KIA about their own cars. Without a categorical evidence - I'd not accept this as my fault if I was KIA myself.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:42   #973
BHPian

No updates in this thread since last 2 weeks!

Wonder why people in this forum are not considering or recommending the Sonet as an option due to its price and recent Kia/Hyundai issues.But,still I loved the Diesel AT over the Seltos due to being lightweight and had better pull in higher speeds as well and I'll prefer this over the Nexon and XUV300 just for that Diesel AT.

If we are considering the replacement for our 7 year old City,the Sonet is the one which I consider over other C-SUV's just for its Diesel+6-speed TC AT combo.

BTW,a known guy had bought Sonet GTX+ 7DCT and he is telling that the FE he gets is around 10 Kmpl and one of my dad's partners had purchased a Sonet GTX+(not sure it is Diesel or Petrol)despite having a 2015 Creta Diesel MT and 2016 Crysta 2.8AT at home.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 2nd March 2021 at 20:45.
car_guy1998 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:56   #974
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Please see the plight of a customer who brought Kia Sonet GTX+ in good faith, It caught fire during drive due to engine overheat.

KIA needs to do something about quality before things go out of hands
This is just one off incident. Such off case incidents can happen to any vehicle. Here the same happening to a 10 day old Brezza. Perhaps Suzuki also needs to do something about quality

https://m.mouthshut.com/review/Marut...ew-uputmpmsuqn

Last edited by anb : 2nd March 2021 at 22:25.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:18   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
BTW,a known guy had bought Sonet GTX+ 7DCT and he is telling that the FE he gets is around 10 Kmpl.
This is normal for the small sized turbo petrol motors. Drive them a bit enthusiastically and you're in for poor mileage figures.

This, probably is the only downside of the small sized turbo petrols, aside from the fuel cost!
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed