Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2022, 09:54   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: BMW 330i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp25 View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with mods on the 330i. Was interested in an exhaust upgrade and maybe a tune.
From my research:
Exhaust upgrade - As far as BLR dealers go, any exhaust modification will violate warranty (as and when any related issues show up) unless you go for the BMW M Performance Exhaust (MPE). The MPE is essentially an endcan (axleback) and comes with the actuator as well. Will be fitted by the BMW dealers themselves with full bill & warranty. From YT videos, the sound is good without being too intrusive or with that irritating drone at cruising speeds.

There are a dizzying array of aftermarket ones like Armytrix etc. However, I could not find much on-ground idea of these in BLR.

Tunes:
Again, there is a lot of international tuners like Dinan, bootmod3 etc + piggybacks/chips like Burger Motorsport's JB+ & JB4. Best to connect directly with them internationally for their local contact recomendations.

My knowledge is limited to BLR circles. NCR is crazy in this respect though.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 11:52   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
From my research:
Exhaust upgrade - As far as BLR dealers go, any exhaust modification will violate warranty (as and when any related issues show up) unless you go for the BMW M Performance Exhaust (MPE). The MPE is essentially an endcan (axleback) and comes with the actuator as well. Will be fitted by the BMW dealers themselves with full bill & warranty. From YT videos, the sound is good without being too intrusive or with that irritating drone at cruising speeds.

There are a dizzying array of aftermarket ones like Armytrix etc. However, I could not find much on-ground idea of these in BLR.

Tunes:
Again, there is a lot of international tuners like Dinan, bootmod3 etc + piggybacks/chips like Burger Motorsport's JB+ & JB4. Best to connect directly with them internationally for their local contact recomendations.

My knowledge is limited to BLR circles. NCR is crazy in this respect though.
Thank you for this info! Upon checking with my Infinity dealer in Bombay, they do not sell the MPE for the 330i. I was told they only do it for the M340i. That is a bummer.

With regards to warranty, at least to my knowledge of owning and modding the exhaust of a Mustang in the US, it would void the warranty if they can prove that the issue was caused by the exhaust system. I installed a Borla catback system and took mine to the Ford dealership every time for service and had no issues whatsoever. Typically exhausts can't really cause any engine/transmission issues unless there is some sort of blockage and back flow.

Not sure how India deals with aftermarket installs as I am certain they are less common than abroad.

I guess I will have to look at third party options for which I dont have any leads.

Appreciate it though!
Old 25th May 2022, 12:47   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With regards to warranty, at least to my knowledge of owning and modding the exhaust of a Mustang in the US, it would void the warranty if they can prove that the issue was caused by the exhaust system.
You are correct in assuming that it would void the warranty if it can be proven to be the cause of a consequent issue, which isn't too likely.

Quote:
Not sure how India deals with aftermarket installs as I am certain they are less common than abroad.
Bombay has a few high-quality shops to serve the car community. And even if you don't find one dealing in the components you want, you can always get it shipped in from say Bangalore or Delhi (although it's quite likely available here too).

There's a whole suite of exhaust options for the G20 330i (IPE, Armytrix, Milltek, and so on). I've heard the catback IPE and Armytrix on an F30, and it sounds the business. Costs a pretty penny though!

From a tuning perspective, I've generally found Quantum to be quite good. They've worked on a bunch of BMWs here, and they've got happy customers. There's e-tuners as well, but I have no experience with them, frankly. There are a few others like Wolfmoto, and Code6, but again, I have no experience with them, or idea of them, so I'll stay mum.

And then there's the DIY approach, like Bootmod3, which I went for (Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i) (and a few others on this forum, like dealer).

It's a flexible platform that gives you control over which tune to run, and it's easy to flash. I get that it's not for everyone though.

Quote:
I guess I will have to look at third party options for which I don't have any leads.
Here's a few shops in Bombay that could help you in your quest. I've dealt with Redline Autohaus a lot, and recommend them for the quality of their work and options, and the pricing, which is very fair.

Redline Autohaus

N1 Autoworks

4S Auto

Have fun!
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 13:37   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

From a tuning perspective, I've generally found Quantum to be quite good. They've worked on a bunch of BMWs here, and they've got happy customers. There's e-tuners as well, but I have no experience with them, frankly. There are a few others like Wolfmoto, and Code6, but again, I have no experience with them, or idea of them, so I'll stay mum.

And then there's the DIY approach, like Bootmod3, which I went for (Crossing the thin redline into madness. Meet Red, my old new BMW 328i) (and a few others on this forum, like dealer).

It's a flexible platform that gives you control over which tune to run, and it's easy to flash. I get that it's not for everyone though.

Here's a few shops in Bombay that could help you in your quest. I've dealt with Redline Autohaus a lot, and recommend them for the quality of their work and options, and the pricing, which is very fair.

Redline Autohaus

N1 Autoworks

4S Auto

Have fun!
Oh my god. Thank you so much for this!! You have literally given me everything I need!

Now I am drooling at the thought of having these mods!

From what I've read, MY2020 and after have had their ECUs locked which means BM3 may not work, however that is exactly what I am looking for! I have emailed their support to see what they say regarding this and hopefully something works out.
Otherwise I guess I will look at Quantum who seem to have a shop in Bandra off Perry Road. (Not sure how legit they are)

For exhausts I looked online and they all look so pricey. I am sure here with the import duty and tax its probably exorbitant. Any rough ideas on what an upgraded exhaust would cost?

I guess I might go tune and later down the line get the exhaust and in the mean time unplug the valve on the stock exhaust.
Old 25th May 2022, 13:55   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh my god. Thank you so much for this!!...Now I am drooling at the thought of having these mods!
Welcome, mano!

Quote:
From what I've read, MY2020 and after have had their ECUs locked which means BM3 may not work, however that is exactly what I am looking for! I have emailed their support to see what they say regarding this and hopefully something works out.
Yes, I recall this being the case with the M340i, so it can almost certainly be so with the B48, but I think you might just be in luck. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Otherwise I guess I will look at Quantum who seem to have a shop in Bandra off Perry Road. (Not sure how legit they are)
Which shop is that? Quantum has a few dealers in Bombay, and I think it'll be fairly safe to go with them, but definitely plump for someone with experience, who can help you out if something goes awry (which I doubt it will), and possibly source the exhaust down the line.

Quote:
For exhausts, I looked online, and they all look so pricey. I am sure here with the import duty and tax its probably exorbitant. Any rough ideas on what an upgraded exhaust would cost?
That they are, no two ways about it. I remember the IPE exhaust (full system with downpipe and quad exhaust setup, valvetronic) costing in the ballpark of 2 lakhs, and the Armytrix exhaust (identical setup + an upgraded turbo and intake, absolutely mega, sounded like a 6 cylinder) costing about 3 lakhs.

My opinion; Armytrix is epic, but costs a crazy amount of money. Check out IPE, or even Milltek (if they have something). Here's a small taster of the IPE exhaust on the B48. And as always, remember that videos don't do justice to how they sound in real life, it should sound even nicer than this.

Quote:
I guess I might go tune and later down the line get the exhaust and in the mean time unplug the valve on the stock exhaust.
Yes, that would be prudent. If I were you, I'd explore getting the ECU+TCU tune (the latter from xHP) to begin with, and look at an exhaust down the line. You could even look at a catted/catless downpipe (from say Wagner) for a bump in performance, and sound as a midway step.

Full disclosure; I myself couldn't justify spending the big bucks for an exhaust setup on my 328i (read, I didn't want to get divorced), and got my catless downpipe + exhaust done at this shop, Mark Performance. I'm quite happy with the work he did (I paid approx. 50k total), and will keep that setup on the car until the time I sell it off.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 14:10   #321
BHPian

Quote:

Which shop is that? Quantum has a few dealers in Bombay, and I think it'll be fairly safe to go with them, but definitely plump for someone with experience, who can help you out if something goes awry (which I doubt it will), and possibly source the exhaust down the line.
The shop is Road Rash Performance

Quote:
That they are, no two ways about it. I remember the IPE exhaust (full system with downpipe and quad exhaust setup, valvetronic) costing in the ballpark of 2 lakhs, and the Armytrix exhaust (identical setup + an upgraded turbo and intake, absolutely mega, sounded like a 6 cylinder) costing about 3 lakhs.

My opinion; Armytrix is epic, but costs a crazy amount of money. Check out IPE, or even Milltek (if they have something). Here's a small taster of the IPE exhaust on the B48. And as always, remember that videos don't do justice to how they sound in real life, it should sound even nicer than this.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=xLPBJdBUzxg
Jesus Christ that is expensive as hell. Makes me miss the bolt on catbacks from Borla for under 1L. That IPE exhaust sounds bloody amazing tbh, you wouldn't think that's from 2.0 4 cylinder.

Quote:
Yes, that would be prudent. If I were you, I'd explore getting the ECU+TCU tune (the latter from xHP) to begin with, and look at an exhaust down the line. You could even look at a catted/catless downpipe (from say Wagner) for a bump in performance, and sound as a midway step.

Full disclosure; I myself couldn't justify spending the big bucks for an exhaust setup on my 328i (read, I didn't want to get divorced), and got my catless downpipe + exhaust done at this shop, Mark Performance. I'm quite happy with the work he did (I paid approx. 50k total), and will keep that setup on the car until the time I sell it off.
Honestly this might really be the way to go for me. I'll definitely hit up that shop and ask what can be done!

Thank you so much man, you've been of tremendous help! Given me a lot to think about and day dream about!
rbp25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 16:03   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bombay has a few high-quality shops to serve the car community. And even if you don't find one dealing in the components you want, you can always get it shipped in from say Bangalore or Delhi (although it's quite likely available here too).
Looks like you've woken up the sleeping turtle / Shih Tzu.

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 16:26   #323

Quote:
Oh my god. Thank you so much for this!! You have literally given me everything I need!

Now I am drooling at the thought of having these mods!

For exhausts I looked online and they all look so pricey. I am sure here with the import duty and tax its probably exorbitant. Any rough ideas on what an upgraded exhaust would cost?

Hey, in case you decide to get an exhaust upgrade let me tell you that be it Armytrix, IPE, Stone, etc. all use the same design for the B48 engine and same 304L grade steel for manufacturing process, the only major differences being the design of the valve remotes. I would suggest to look at RES system as its the best priced of the lot. I'm running a turbo back RES system on my F30. The dealer who sells all these brands in Delhi himself acknowledged that Armytrix and IPE charge extra because of their brand value. So your due diligence is required before you pull the trigger.

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th May 2022 at 16:59. Reason: Removing spaces from before commas :)
AD03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 16:52   #324
BHPian

Hello everyone. I am holding a booking for 330i Sport Alpine White. Delivery due next week.
Another dealer called and informed that he can make the 330i Sport available in Phytonic Blue in the next 2 months. Now I'm terribly confused and need some help as to which would be better?
If I have to withdraw my booking from the former dealer, will it yield to a complete loss of booking amount?
Is the blue of BMW significantly better and more attractive than white? I know its subjective, but I'd like to ask regardless.
Old 25th May 2022, 17:12   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskiratarora15 View Post
Is the blue of BMW significantly better and more attractive than white? I know its subjective, but I'd like to ask regardless.
Hi, admittedly I'm biased () owning a Mediterranean Blue MY20 330i Sport but I feel blue is better and more eye-catching. Phytonic Blue is what they had on the then X3, X1 & F30 3 Series. It's brighter & shinier than my Mediterranean Blue. I believe BMW globally is moving to the Phytonic Blue for the 330i.

As for the refund, I think you are entitled to 100%. Do you have a formal receipt from your current dealer with the T&C stated? What are the current timelines for the Alpine White?

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th May 2022 at 17:14.
Old 25th May 2022, 17:16   #326
BHPian

I loved the mediterranean blue on your car from the photos. Phytonic blue, I’ve seen on X1 and X3 and they seemed a bit dull.
The T&C doesn’t say much. Right now I’ve only paid the booking amount with the finance and everything still at play here.
Old 25th May 2022, 18:47   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am holding a booking for 330i Sport Alpine White. Delivery due next week.
Another dealer called and informed that he can make the 330i Sport available in Phytonic Blue in the next 2 months. Now I'm terribly confused and need some help as to which would be better?
If I have to withdraw my booking from the former dealer, will it yield to a complete loss of booking amount?
Alpine white is amazing to look at and easy to maintain though I may be a little biased

Saw a pythonic blue X3 at the showroom recently and it looks great but might be painful to maintain.
petrolhead777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 19:33   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

The rubber sound is very high on certain surfaces. Mine is the same on glossy garage tiles.

So this sound is more prominent if you have Auto Hold disabled, coz apparently some internal drum brakes are engaged and we are trying to turn the wheel in the process. So disabling that made everything quiet.

Also, took it out for a spin and in some really bad entrances to places (Decathlon, are you listening.. ) it does scrape so I guess I have to live with it..
sharathm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 21:31   #329
BHPian

Quote:
If you ask my wife, hell yes! She made me wait 8 months to get a phytonic blue X3 last year, instead of "settling" for a white one that would have come 5L cheaper

Phytonic blue needs bright sunlight to come into life and does look a bit black'ish in low light. It is much harder to maintain than a white one for sure, I see dust specs on the bonut within hours of it getting cleaned. But as they say, "heart has its own reasons of which reason knows nothing about" so go ahead with the one that appeals to you.
CosmicWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 23:09   #330
BHPian

Thank you for your input everyone. I have confirmed Alpine White owing to maintenance issues of the blue color. Cannot wait for its arrival!!
jaskiratarora15 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks