Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 17:13   #211
BHPian

Re: Review: BMW 330i (G20)

I've seriously been considering the 330i M-sport, but the only thing I am concerned about is the ground clearance. I absolutely hate it if my car scrapes, and having experienced this in the OG Jazz, I am not really keen to go through that again. That was the only reason I checked out GLA and almost finalized it. But the 330i is tugging at the heartstrings and I am so torn between the 2.

What's the real world experience of folks? I live in Bangalore with it's unpredictable humps, random dug up road, miscellaneous dirt roads in the middle of the city.
Peregrine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 17:59   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What's the real world experience of folks? I live in Bangalore with it's unpredictable humps, random dug up road, miscellaneous dirt roads in the middle of the city.
In my experience, it does not easily scrape even with a full load. The chassis and suspension is stiff, and there is minimal sag. Further, the 'rough road' is almost end-to-end and ensures all crucial bits and pieces are covered.

The only thing is to ensure you 'crab' across the tall speedbreakers, even if others find it comical.

But there is only one way to find, and that is to drive it on your usual roads with a full complement of passengers.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 18:20   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
In my experience, it does not easily scrape even with a full load. The chassis and suspension is stiff, and there is minimal sag. Further, the 'rough road' is almost end-to-end and ensures all crucial bits and pieces are covered.

The only thing is to ensure you 'crab' across the tall speedbreakers, even if others find it comical.

But there is only one way to find, and that is to drive it on your usual roads with a full complement of passengers.
Thanks itwasntme, it really does help. I hope I can get rid of the "fear" in my mind about the potential of scraping. Very glad to know that the rough road package covers almost all the car. Thanks !
Old 6th March 2022, 06:36   #214
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Though the GC is less it has never scraped even with 2 adults and 2 full sized teens. Key is not to brake at the point of the hump and just crawl over it slowly.

@itwasntme what is this rough road package? Not sure if it’s included in insurance or an extra cover? I am not sure if I deliberately took this cover. It’s worth considering if priced we’ll.
FamilyTraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 09:38   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
what is this rough road package?
Its underbelly protection to protect the mechanical bits along with a slight increase in ride height compared to international models.

Last edited by SR-71 : 6th March 2022 at 09:47.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 21:00   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is the longer version of 3 and is expected to scrape more than regular 3. However to my surprise car hasn't scrapped belly or bumpers yet. The regular 3 should be better at this, thanks to shorter wheelbase. Drive a bit carefully and car should be fine.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 21:55   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've seriously been considering the 330i M-sport, but the only thing I am concerned about is the ground clearance. I absolutely hate it if my car scrapes, and having experienced this in the OG Jazz, I am not really keen to go through that again.
I own the previous gen 330i (F30 LCI), car does not scrape any speed breakers as such though any tall hump or a deep pothole - I navigate diagonally. Bigger headache for me has been the tyres. The low profile and run flats - a combination that seems fragile... Have lost 5 tyres in last 3 years/22000km to potholes. And tyres are expensive, especially the 18" ones that mine came with.

See if you can get a version with 17" or even 16" tyres. They won't look as beautiful as the 18" but will survive better, keep you safe on a long trip away from home and save a lot of money.
anandpadhye is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 10:55   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Bigger headache for me has been the tyres. The low profile and run flats - a combination that seems fragile... Have lost 5 tyres in last 3 years/22000km to potholes. And tyres are expensive, especially the 18" ones that mine came with.
Hey Anand, had no idea you had such a bad experience with your 18" RFTs. Were these the OEM Michelin 3ZP ones? Hope alloys weren't a casualty too?
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 11:48   #219
BHPian

Quote:
I've seriously been considering the 330i M-sport, but the only thing I am concerned about is the ground clearance. I absolutely hate it if my car scrapes, and having experienced this in the OG Jazz, I am not really keen to go through that again. That was the only reason I checked out GLA and almost finalized it. But the 330i is tugging at the heartstrings and I am so torn between the 2.

Off topic, I was told no more 330i available and dealership don't know when they will come. I was told to buy GL version.

Are you able to get regular 330i in Bangalore ? I am from Hyderabad.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th March 2022 at 11:04. Reason: Grammar.
niv26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 13:38   #220
BHPian

Quote:
I own the previous gen 330i (F30 LCI), car does not scrape any speed breakers as such though any tall hump or a deep pothole - I navigate diagonally. Bigger headache for me has been the tyres. The low profile and run flats - a combination that seems fragile... Have lost 5 tyres in last 3 years/22000km to potholes. And tyres are expensive, especially the 18" ones that mine came with.

See if you can get a version with 17" or even 16" tyres. They won't look as beautiful as the 18" but will survive better, keep you safe on a long trip away from home and save a lot of money.
Thanks Anand ! Yeah that's another worry. I hate it when these small pockets of fragility crop up in cars. Diagonal navigation is something I can manage I guess. 5 tyres in 22K km is a lot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
off topic, I was told no more 330i available and dealership don't know when they will come. I was told to buy GL version.

Do you able to get regular 330i in Bangalore ? I am from Hyderabad.
Yes, it's available in Bangalore with Deustche motors. Though the choice of exterior colours and trims is rather limited.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th March 2022 at 11:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Old 7th March 2022, 17:27   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Were these the OEM Michelin 3ZP ones? Hope alloys weren't a casualty too?
OEM Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFTs. Luckily alloys have survived.

Quote:
5 tyres in 22K km is a lot !
Yes and the continuous tension to watch out and avoid potholes especially the ones that suddenly pop up on an otherwise decent surface at highway speeds...
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 23:38   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Bigger headache for me has been the tyres. The low profile and run flats - a combination that seems fragile... Have lost 5 tyres in last 3 years/22000km to potholes.
Hey Anand

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Do you know if this is down to the Run Flats or Size, or probably both?

I recall GTOs review of the new S-class, where he stated the tire size on the version he got was totally impractical for India use cases.

I love the 19in rims that BMW offers internationally, but after reading your experience, I guess that's completely out of the question.
Old 8th March 2022, 09:57   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
Are you able to get regular 330i in Bangalore ? I am from Hyderabad.
Possible, yes but you will need a NOC from the HYD dealer before BLR dealers entertain you. BMW is pretty strict (at least down south) about dealer territories and registration addresses.

Quote:
Yes, it's available in Bangalore with Deutsche motors.
True, select M Sport models were available. Sport nearly impossible but depends on your luck.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th March 2022 at 11:05. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks. :)
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 11:25   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
Hey Anand

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Do you know if this is down to the Run Flats or Size, or probably both?
Even I want to find out. Many have suggested me to go for regular tubeless instead of RFTs. Now I have ordered a full size spare wheel (OEM front) so next time I can go for regular tubeless and if they survive better, then we can conclude that RFTs are the culprit. But if they also give up, then we can conclude that the low profile is the culprit.

These are expensive and time consuming experiments as we have keep one variable constant while evaluating the other

I have no personal experience of 19" rims but I suspect they will be a risky proposition on our roads.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:34   #225
BHPian

I am told the Sport variant is suspended. In Feb they had one car but not in the color of my liking. Now, even that is gone and I am being asked to look at m-sport that is going out of my budget

Last edited by SR-71 : 11th March 2022 at 18:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks