Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 11:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Shadowfax- Lord of all Horses, the BMW 330i Sport (G20) Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqil View Post
They are cp pistons 10:1. Your b48, is 11:1. I bought through vac motorsports. Google them. I bought them at a discount and they cost me 80k rupees. If you want to buy pistons. Buy them through realstreetperformance. Ask for moe and tell moe you are aqil's friend and request a low invoice. Pistons will cost you whatever they will. But the low invoice on paper will help alot with customs.
B48 stock is quite reliable as it is. It can handle 400whp. Can't say about 20i b48 due to high compression ratio, compared to the 2019 30i.
Quote:
1: use high octane fuel.(octane boosters don't do jack. Trust me)
2: spray chargepipe to lower IAT. This method is tried and tested. And tuners often spray methanol and water in 50:50 ratio, to advance ignition timings and/or not have to retard a lot of ignition time if Spraying nitrous.
3: add an intercooler to lower IAT.
Thank you so much Aqil for all the help! I agree the B48 engine is extremely reliable, it's just that in the 20i guise the engine requires extremely clean fuel to run reliably. Regarding the pistons, I was planning to lower the compression ratio to 10:1 but I'll take note of the information you have provided and decide later. In regards to fuel and knock, my current setup which is Power99 + 1% proctane evo (Can't go any higher in terms of octane/fuel quality than this) with the 91ACN tune gives me perfectly clean logs. No knocks whatsoever and almost no timing corrections even in the extreme heat of Rajasthan. I will definitely consider the WMI kit that you speak about which seems to be a good solution to make up for the octane issue with higher octane maps. As for the intercooler, I've seen comparisons of the CSF intercooler vs the stock water to air intercooler of the B48 and the results weren't too great so I'll stick to the stock intercooler.

Btw, do you have any videos of your tuned 330i in action? Would love to see the performance that you're getting with the beast!
Old 7th December 2020, 12:12   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Thank you so much Aqil for all the help! I agree the B48 engine is extremely reliable, it's just that in the 20i guise the engine requires extremely clean fuel to run reliably. Regarding the pistons, I was planning to lower the compression ratio to 10:1 but I'll take note of the information you have provided and decide later. In regards to fuel and knock, my current setup which is Power99 + 1% proctane evo (Can't go any higher in terms of octane/fuel quality than this) with the 91ACN tune gives me perfectly clean logs. No knocks whatsoever and almost no timing corrections even in the extreme heat of Rajasthan. I will definitely consider the WMI kit that you speak about which seems to be a good solution to make up for the octane issue with higher octane maps. As for the intercooler, I've seen comparisons of the CSF intercooler vs the stock water to air intercooler of the B48 and the results weren't too great so I'll stick to the stock intercooler.

Btw, do you have any videos of your tuned 330i in action? Would love to see the performance that you're getting with the beast!

Anytime brother.
Csf makes heat exchanger. And i didn't know 20i had an intercooler already.
If you lower you CR to 10:1 from 11:1, the ecu might throw a code. Maybe, just use the WMI if you Don't plan on a bigger turbo?
I have a few videos on YouTube. Channel is called mm performance. There's a couple of videos on there of some pulls.
My 0 to 100 on stage 2 is just under 6 seconds. The tune is more noticeable in the 0 to 180/200 pulls. That's where it has shaved off more than a second or 2 compared to stock.
If I was in rajasthan, I would definitely look more into lowering IAT than upgrading internals. Especially, for the stock turbo.
Ecu corrects timings taking into account a lot of factors. Timing correction doesn't necessarily mean, "knock retard". If your ecu isn't retarding any time, you should probably up you boost a bit or increase time. Or just try 93octane stage 1. Log and if clean, go stage 2 91ACN.
If you are not getting any timing correction, I would say you don't need anything, unless going stage 2.
Aqil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 13:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Anytime brother.
Ecu corrects timings taking into account a lot of factors. Timing correction doesn't necessarily mean, "knock retard". If your ecu isn't retarding any time, you should probably up you boost a bit or increase time. Or just try 93octane stage 1. Log and if clean, go stage 2 91ACN.
If you are not getting any timing correction, I would say you don't need anything, unless going stage 2.
That's the strange bit, 91ACN tune has no knocks or timing retards on my current setup (Tested in 44 degrees heat) whereas the 91 regular and 93 tunes both pull a lot of timing (-3,-4.5) degree timing even in winters (11-15 degrees). Since I'm planning to stick to Stage 1 only, I'll plan out an upgrade to a WMI setup if I need more power in the future (260bhp, 380nm at the crank if enough for now :P).
Old 10th December 2020, 15:16   #49
BHPian

Re: Review: BMW 330i (G20)

I test drove this one and found a basic problem illustrated by the picture below.
BMW needs to address this. Suspension was very ordinary ride quality on the same roads where a c220d was very good
Attached Thumbnails
Review: BMW 330i (G20)-20201208_140948.jpg  

Review: BMW 330i (G20)-20201208_141003.jpg  

MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 20:10   #50
BHPian

I will keep it simple, currently we have 2 cars in our garage
a) 2015 Toyota Fortuner
b) 2019 3.2 Ford Endeavour.

Now, the Fortuner is up for replacement and i have a budget of around 35 Lacs.

The requirements are it should serve my 60 year Dad (retiring soon and mostly chauffeur driven) and me. It will be mostly city driven as we have Endeavour for highway trips. Buying a BMW is a dream for me and top of my bucket list. I have been eyeing 330i for a while now.

Now, i have a few question for the fellow bhpians and if they shed some light i would really appreciate. Thanks in advance.

1) The price on carwale is 47 lacs INR on-road in Ahmedabad. Can I negotiate a deal around 40 lacs INR ? What are the discounts generally offered on 3 series ?

2) What would be the average maintenance cost per year ? I could manage around 40k to 50k for maintenance.

3) My dad is fine seating on front seat while chauffeur driven so how are the suspension on 3 series and comfort on front seat.

4) If you guys have any other suggestion i would gracefully listen or i might say read

Any heads-up from a fellow 3 series owner would really appreciate.

Thank you.
sachin2612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 20:48   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin2612 View Post

4) If you guys have any other suggestion i would gracefully listen or i might say read

Thank you.
Since the car would be used by both your father and yourself, I would suggest that you go for the 330i Long Wheelbase instead. The added rear legroom would really make your dad happy while he's being chauffeured around and in terms of driving pleasure, it shouldn't be too different from the regular G20 330i.

Last edited by dealer : 23rd January 2021 at 20:50.
dealer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 21:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Since the car would be used by both your father and yourself, I would suggest that you go for the 330i Long Wheelbase instead.
Appreciate your suggestion. But paying 8 lacs extra for a few centimetre of extra legroom is not worth according to me.

Last edited by sachin2612 : 23rd January 2021 at 21:08.
Old 23rd January 2021, 23:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) The price on carwale is 47 lacs INR on-road in Ahmedabad. Can I negotiate a deal around 40 lacs INR ? What are the discounts generally offered on 3 series ?

2) What would be the average maintenance cost per year ? I could manage around 40k to 50k for maintenance.
Hi Sachin. While I'm fairly certain you'll be able to crack a deal close to 40 OTR for the 330i, I don't believe 40-50k a year would cut it for maintenance. For the first few years, it will, but not thereafter. You'd need to budget about 1 lakh per year for servicing it at the authorised workshop. In the first few years, it'll cost less than that, and roughly near that much as it get older.

Quote:
3) My dad is fine seating on front seat while chauffeur driven so how are the suspension on 3 series and comfort on front seat.
The new 330i has a wonderfully sorted suspension, not too soft and not too firm. You'll like it a lot, and so will your dad. As far as I recall, the 330i Sport misses out on the Sports seats, which offers extra side cushioning and is something you don't know you need until you've tried it. Try getting the M sport variant, the extra toys will make it feel younger for longer.

Quote:
If you guys have any other suggestion i would gracefully listen or i might say read
Here's what I'd do if I were you

A) I'd do my utmost to negotiate a deal with BSI built into it. That takes the maintenance cost worries out of the equation for the duration of the car ownership

B) I would highly encourage you to look at the Camry hybrid as well. It's a truly remarkable car, and I think perfect for your needs. The new Camry is a different breed to the old one, and a great mix of reliability, efficiency, space, comfort, and luxury. It's cheaper than the 3, and really does suit your needs to the fullest.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 09:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Here's what I'd do if I were you

A) I'd do my utmost to negotiate a deal with BSI built into it. That takes the maintenance cost worries out of the equation for the duration of the car ownership

B) I would highly encourage you to look at the Camry hybrid as well. It's a truly remarkable car, and I think perfect for your needs. The new Camry is a different breed to the old one, and a great mix of reliability, efficiency, space, comfort, and luxury. It's cheaper than the 3, and really does suit your needs to the fullest.
Thank you for the insightful information, sir.

I am in a no hurry so i will surely check out all the other options before making a purchase. Of late reading a lot of praise of Toyota camry from GTO and many other bhpians. Will sure give a look into it.

By the way, how is your redhead doing sir ? Is she still going strong ? I have been searching for a used bmw for a while now but i can not find one with 25k kms or under on odometer. (In Ahmedabad)
Old 24th January 2021, 10:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Changes to the BMW 3-Series line-up

BMW has made changes to the 3-Series line-up. The 320d Sport variant has been discontinued yet again. The diesel version is now available only in the 320d Luxury Edition variant.

Review: BMW 330i (G20)-320d-1.jpg

The 320d Sport was discontinued back in March 2020 when the 330i Sport was introduced. The variant was re-launched in August 2020. At present, along with the 330i Luxury Line, the 3-Series is available in 330i Sport and 330i M Sport trims.

The 330i is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces 255 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 400 Nm @ 1,550-4,400 rpm. The 320d comes with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that develops 188 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 400 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. Both engines come paired with an 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission.

Review: BMW 330i (G20)-320d-2.jpg

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

330i Sport - Rs. 42.60 lakh

330i M Sport - Rs. 49.90 lakh

320d Luxury Edition - 47.90 lakh

Review: BMW 330i (G20)-320d-3.jpg

Review: BMW 330i (G20)-320d-4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 24th January 2021 at 10:06.
ChiragM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 10:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in a no hurry so i will surely check out all the other options before making a purchase. Of late reading a lot of praise of Toyota camry from GTO and many other bhpians. Will sure give a look into it.
With very good reason too! I helped my boss find a Camry (previous-gen), and that thing put me off. It was practical, sensible, but so sanitised and boring to drive. This new one is a different gravy entirely though. They've added some spicy meatballs to the mix for extra flavour! (veg manchurian balls if you're vegetarian, which I'm assuming you are)

Quote:
By the way, how is your redhead doing sir ? Is she still going strong ? I have been searching for a used bmw for a while now but i can not find one with 25k kms or under on odometer. (In Ahmedabad)
Red is doing absolutely fine I've barely driven her over the last year, only some 5-6000 kms since lockdown. There will be an oil change due in some 4000 kms, so I'll take that opportunity to do a check on everything else as well and keep her ticking over smoothly. She's been a dream, very fuss free.

Finding a used BMW can be a very tricky proposition; the diesels will be generally driven a lot, and the petrols are a rare breed. It takes time to find the right one, but keep on hunting. With some luck, the right car will come your way!
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 22:41   #57
BHPian

After spending a ridiculous amount of time on this forum and on youtube reviews I've taken the plunge and booked my 330i Sport. Do note that I had a hard time hunting it down. You could find sweet deals only if they are available at the dealer. The closest I found was at Pune. I tried some places in Kerala and most of them didn't have the base model. Looks like they r reducing production to make way for LWB, if the dealer does not have it in stock they might not give deep discounts.

Also a huge shout out to @itwasntme. Your comments were really helpful in my decision.

Quote:

Thank you.
astrodex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 16:09   #58

A tasty bit of equipment present on the new 3 series Grand Limousine is the heads up display. Could it be retrofitted onto a regular G20 330i.

On a side note can you mirror your phone screen onto the smaller 8.8inch display in the Sport model? I have tried it on a larger 10.25 in display in the higher models.
Gabriel 219 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 21:34   #59
BHPian

I planning for 330i M sport in next 6-8 months( currently drive a 2 year/10k km old Passat Highline). Is there a chance BMW 3 will get a HUD in 2021 ? Or do we have to wait for LCI.
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:28   #60
BHPian

Well, in a turn of events got a call from SA this afternoon. The demo car which i drove last month is about to put on sale.

Demo car are big no as per most Bhpians but this car has only done 4400 kms and under 1 year old. When i test drove the car last month, it was on immaculate condition. When i told him about the wear and tear of the demo car he said it is the least driven car on their stable because the demand for performance petrol sedan is non existent in Ahmedabad. Half of the kms are done on highway as per SA for company use.

He told me the OTR price will be under 40 lacs. Now with the sports variant being discontinued the M sport 330i retails for around 55 OTR.

Should i consider it and if yes what would be ideal cost for the demo car ?

Hope for bhpians to shed some light.
Thank you in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks