Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 12:39   #166
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai i20 Review

ACI claims a 0-100 figure of 12.56 seconds for the i20 Turbo GDi DCT.

Thats way off from Hyundai's claim of 9.9 seconds!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:42   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
So basically, other than VW and Skoda, ONLY the new Honda City gives this USEFUL feature of one touch power windows under 20 lakhs in India??
Ford provides it on the driver side. Yes its a very useful feature!
arijitkanrar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:48   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

If that is true, the Polo automatic is extremely well tuned for a torque converter automatic!

Expected more from the i20 this time! The rear seat isn't supportive and that's a bummer! This was a complaint even from the 2008-2014 i20 we had! Thankfully ride and handling has been taken care off but surprisingly again the Polo still has a more sportier handling despite being 2 generations ahead!

The looks, features and interior quality of a car can really make a huge impression- am impression large enough to override any concerns about in-depth engineering for the common man, especially safety (let's forget ride and handling for now).
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:55   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

In Faisal Khan's review, 0-100 is achieved in 10 seconds. Please watch from 6:23 till 6:33 -
bwildrd#1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:07   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Exterior

By and large, the car feels well put together. The bonnet, hatch & doors have some weight to them.
In light of the current NCAP test results, can someone explain the extent of correlation between the weight of bonnet/hatch/doors and the structural rigidity of the car?

As far as I can understand, the general public assumes that if these parts have some weight to them then the overall build quality of the vehicle would be good as the amount of metal used in the skeleton of the vehicle would be higher.

Coming from an automotive background, I know that strength of the type of steel used and the overall rigidity of the structure depends on a large number of factors apart from the amount of steel used. Then why do we use this as an indicator for the build quality?

I understand that we do not have the crash test results for every model but such type of statements can be misleading to the average Joe and should be avoided in my opinion.

Would like to know thoughts of my fellow BHPians on this.
AutoConsultant is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:43   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
In light of the current NCAP test results, can someone explain the extent of correlation between the weight of bonnet/hatch/doors and the structural rigidity of the car?

From Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

"A bigger, heavier vehicle provides better crash protection than a smaller, lighter one, assuming no other differences. The longer distance from the front of vehicle to the occupant compartment in larger vehicles offers better protection in frontal crashes. Heavier vehicles also tend to continue moving forward in crashes with lighter vehicles and other obstacles, so the people inside them are subject to less force.

Large vehicles aren't as big a threat to people in small vehicles as they used to be. A lighter vehicle will always be at a disadvantage in a collision with a heavier vehicle. But in recent years automakers have reduced the threat SUVs and pickups pose by more closely aligning their energy-absorbing structures with those of cars."

Having said that, It is possible to design a car which is lighter but stronger with the same materials by superior and intelligent design. see attached pdf.

However, I am assuming that it is possible to derive ball park weight for each class of car which might be considered safe. Example: with the use high strength steel for a typical hatchback less than 4m and with the current design engineering standards should weigh 1xxx Kgs but that might be misleading if the design is poor.

https://www.hannovermesse.de/en/news...ars-50-lighter
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reducing weight of car using design.pdf (2.19 MB, 893 views)

Last edited by Godzilla : 12th November 2020 at 13:44.
Godzilla is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:58   #172
BHPian

The new i20 looks too small and the sillhoute reminds me of the Datsun Redi-go! Check Here

These meme says everything.

Hyundai i20 Review-capture.jpg
kamilharis is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 13:58   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

"A bigger, heavier vehicle provides better crash protection than a smaller, lighter one, assuming no other differences. The longer distance from the front of vehicle to the occupant compartment in larger vehicles offers better protection in frontal crashes. Heavier vehicles also tend to continue moving forward in crashes with lighter vehicles and other obstacles, so the people inside them are subject to less force.

Large vehicles aren't as big a threat to people in small vehicles as they used to be. A lighter vehicle will always be at a disadvantage in a collision with a heavier vehicle. But in recent years automakers have reduced the threat SUVs and pickups pose by more closely aligning their energy-absorbing structures with those of cars."

Having said that, It is possible to design a car which is lighter but stronger with the same materials by superior and intelligent design. see attached pdf.

However, I am assuming that it is possible to derive ball park weight for each class of car which might be considered safe. Example: with the use high strength steel for a typical hatchback less than 4m and with the current design engineering standards should weigh 1xxx Kgs but that might be misleading if the design is poor.

Thanks Godzilla for the explanation - all valid points. But the "assuming no other differences" statement is a huge one and we might never be able to answer this unless we have some standards decided by the government. Till then we only have the NCAP ratings as some sort of standardized testing methodology.
AutoConsultant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:40   #174
Senior - BHPian

Another model from Hyundai, that will sell well. Including from 'enthusiasts' on this forum, who will buy it for what it is marketed and with their own 'priorities' in check. And again, as usual, same enthusiasts will express shock and disbelief when GNCAP or another acceptable body crash tests the car and shares expected results.

This vicious cycle will not stop. Unless our priorities are right in what we must 'need' and what we can 'want', vehicle manufacturers, automotive journalists and online forums will keep highlighting more on the 'wants' and lesser on the 'needs'.

As the saying goes, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If we don't put more emphasis/value our lives, buy vehicles which safeguard our families & us during unexpected eventualities, why will anyone else? How is it even fair to expect anyone else to?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th November 2020 at 18:38. Reason: Typo
k_ajay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:47   #175
BHPian

Is anybody else also amazed that the i20 comes with a sunroof even when some 50L cars don't have it?
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:58   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

This is the exact reason for me to choose kicks over compact sub 4mtr suvs. Creta was over priced and did not even have VDC or ESP in any mid variants!
jeganatu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:58   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Is anybody else also amazed that the i20 comes with a sunroof even when some 50L cars don't have it?
Well, the compromised structural rigidity (purely my assumption based on the 100kg weight saving, use of "high tensile steel" and GNCAP of Seltos) had to be offset, right? Hence the sunroof to distract the Indian customer!
Porschefire is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:30   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Way back in 2009 itself i20 came with a sunroof in Asta(O) variant. Which was removed later on I guess.

Many features which they had given in 2009 is absent in the 2020 version, weird !

Last edited by kamilharis : 12th November 2020 at 15:32.
kamilharis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:59   #179
BHPian

Quote:
It is aspirational feature for the average Indian customer and helps the company in justifying the overpricing of this premium hatch.
AutoConsultant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:20   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Hi, I don't have precise answers to your question. But I did do an exercise back in Feb-2020 to see if there is any correlation between Crash test performance and Kerb weight of cars sold in India. I request you to have a look here.
Let me know if it helps.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks