Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 15:56   #286
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
re: Hyundai i20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
The pricing is absolutely atrocious coupled with the bad looks and proportions. The older i20 was a stunning looker.
Totally . We will surely miss the stunning yet classy looking Elite-i20. Specially the rear of its facelifted version looked so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
The novelty factor may help the new i20 in the initial 2/3 months. After that, it will fizzle out. It makes much much better sense to buy Venue/Sonet over this, if one has to buy a Korean.
I too hope the bling-crazy Indian car-buyers in this segment will realize the value of other solidly-built products like Polo, Altroz(the turbo-petrol cant come soon enough), Free-style etc.

By the way, it also makes sense to buy the Magnite, Altroz, Nexon or XUV3OO(prices reduced), if you are budget constrained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
2020 Hyundai i20 Advanced light weight K platform detailed, claims to be structurally stronger.
Well, we have seen many such claims by Hyundai-India in the past. Remember their claims about 2020 Creta's "SuperStructure" :
2020 Hyundai Creta SuperStructure Can Carry 2 African Elephants

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/2020-hyundai-...can-elephants/
But the Seltos with essentially the same platform(chassis, engines, gearboxes etc) barely managed to get 3-stars in GNCAP crash-safety ratings.

Such claims don't mean anything.
Napalm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:33   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
But the Seltos with essentially the same platform(chassis, engines, gearboxes etc) barely managed to get 3-stars in GNCAP crash-safety ratings.

Such claims don't mean anything.
Is it a fact that the Creta and Seltos share the same platform and materials used? (I know they share the same engine and gearboxes).
Old 14th December 2020, 20:25   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualDriver View Post
Is it a fact that the Creta and Seltos share the same platform and materials used? (I know they share the same engine and gearboxes).
I think this is pretty much a forgone conclusion when the Creta's Teambhp official review says this :

"Under the skin, the new Creta is the same vehicle as its biggest competitor and sister car, the Kia Seltos. They share the same platform which includes the powertrain options, type of suspension, and various structural and mechanical components. So what differentiates these two cars from different brands of the same company? It's the styling, features and tuning of some mechanical components."

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Hyundai Creta : Official Review)

Same is the case with Venue & Sonet too, because Sonet's official Teambhp review says :
"Like the Seltos & Creta, this is almost identical to the Venue under the skin."

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Kia Sonet : Official Review)
Napalm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 00:32   #289
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic to see the new i20 off to a good start!

It’s even better to see the demand for the top variants! The new i20 happens to be the only car in its class (4 metre premium hatchbacks) to offer crucial, important, life-saving safety features like side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, Hill Hold, TPMS etc. on the top variant (which are, of course, dismissed as “bling” and “gizmos”).

Other cars in this class of 4 metre premium hatchbacks, including the so-called “absolutely safe” one, cannot even dream of offering things like side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, Hill Hold, TPMS. No wonder then, that haters of Hyundai (who also happen to be fanboys of other brands) often refer to such crucial active & passive life-savers as “bling” and “gizmos”.

Hyundai should offer the superb Asta(O) variant with the 88 PS 1.2 Kappa CVT and 120 PS 1.0 Kappa Turbo-GDi iMT powertrains. It is already offered with the other three powertrain options.

Quote:
No, they don’t! Apart from the engines, gearboxes and other powertrain components, everything is different between the Creta and Seltos. Same with the Venue and Sonet.

Not only are the “top hats” on top of the platform between the above mentioned cars different, but the platforms themselves have several differences. I have carefully analysed the differences between them and will post it sometime later.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th December 2020 at 08:27. Reason: Language and bold lines toned down. Talking down other brands’ while supporting a specific brand can also be fanboyish.
RSR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 18:37   #290
BHPian

A friend booked the Sportz model of i20 1.2. We had a test drive before deciding on the car.

Some notable points :
* Styling of the car is mixed bag. Looks great from some angles and not so attractive from some other (especially the super busy rear end)
* The stylish wheel caps on Sportz model actually looks better than the diamond cut alloys in Asta ! Especially on darker colours. Personal opinion though.
* Interior quality is good. Fit and finish is famed Hyundai level. Though I must admit that the perceived ambience hasnt improved over the elite i20, like it did over the first gen car. Plastics are all hard. Too many styling bits.
* Touchscreen system in Asta is straight from the Creta 2020. As expected works well.
* Digital console is gimmicky. It isn't very information extensive to require the all digital setup.
* Bose music system surprisingly didnt sound as impressive. Altroz has got a better setup. Even my Creta's Arkamys sounds bit better.
* 1.2 petrol feels improved. It isnt exactly rev friendly like say a Swift 1.2 but is decent for city drive. Elite i20 petrol was anemic. This isnt. Even with 4 people onboard. Gearshift is butter smooth. Clutch is fine. 1.2 petrol is a good option to have honestly. Engine felt noiser than my Creta's 1.5 setup. Though I would give benefit of doubt to the poor maintenance and abuse of the test drive vehicle.
* Seat comfort is top notch. Liked them. The rear seat experience is great too. Good headroom (i am 5'11"), excellent legroom and decent underthigh support. Verna feels hilariously poor in comparison !
* Ride felt settled in the short drive. The suspension 'should' handle the highway undulations better than the previous generation. Steering isnt sporty and has got play around the centre. Practical setup overall.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Review-img20201215162844.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Review-img20201215162903.jpg  

Turbokick is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 00:45   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
* Bose music system surprisingly didnt sound as impressive. Altroz has got a better setup. Even my Creta's Arkamys sounds bit better.
That's interesting, can you say what about it felt unimpressive when compared to the other audio systems?
Old 16th December 2020, 08:54   #292
BHPian

I really like european variant fully digital speedometer rather than Indian version. Is it possible to retrofit it? Any link to other forums discussion on the same?
I took delivery of new i20 Asta (O).
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 11:49   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Fantastic to see the new i20 off to a good start!

It’s even better to see the demand for the top variants! The new i20 happens to be the only car in its class (4 metre premium hatchbacks) to offer crucial, important, life-saving safety features like side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, Hill Hold, TPMS etc. on the top variant (which are, of course, dismissed as “bling” and “gizmos”).

Other cars in this class of 4 metre premium hatchbacks, including the so-called “absolutely safe” one, cannot even dream of offering things like side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, Hill Hold, TPMS. No wonder then, that haters of Hyundai (who also happen to be fanboys of other brands) often refer to such crucial active & passive life-savers as “bling” and “gizmos”.

With all due respect Sir, don't you think you are sounding a bit absurd here? As one of the most informed members in this forum, I'm sure you know how important a stable body shell is to safety along with Airbags to save the passengers in the event of an accident. Using words such as "Crucial, important, life saving safety features that are only found in the i20" is very much misleading, coz all those features you just mentioned becomes mere "BLING" when you have an UNSTABLE BODY SHELL & an UNSTABLE FOOTWELL AREA. Now I know the i20 isn't tested yet, so it can go either ways. But seeing how the expensive Seltos has fared with barely 3 stars, and lil brother i10 NIOS with just 2, we know what priority Hyundai gives to safety. So until it's tested, i20 in my sceptical mind is still very much an unsafe car. The moment this car scores better Safety rating I will agree with everything you have shared. Seeing how Hyundai has been behaving until now, we all know how that goes.

Again saying other cars can only dream of ESP, TC etc.. well the Seltos has all those too and it's brakes fail to work at times and you know that thread on our forum too. Kia has failed to acknowledge or make a proper recall on the same. Priorities! So yeah, if brakes fail with all these features, these features merely become BLING.

A week back one of my friend who owns the Seltos GTX was complaining the headlights seem poor in performance, I thought he was wrong, until I checked the Tbhp thread where many are complaining about the same. You can't upgrade the LED headlamps either. That's when I realised, oh there's another BLING! Seltos has so many lamps infront but still fail to illuminate the road properly means you know what the priorities are.

So there you go, there's a reason why people are saying there's more BLING to Hyundai/Kia than the actual stuff. Comparison to Seltos was just to show my concerns about the brand.

And please don't belittle other brands, coz Hushhh, they provide more VALUE to your as well your families LIFE at a lower cost than these Koreans. I have my respect for them.

I saw many people complaining that the i20 is overpriced. But I would say the i20 is value for money provided this car had 4/5 star safety. But until proven, the i20 is overpriced and most probably UNSAFE.

I know I'm sounding harsh here, but we have had enough isn't it? I was also keen on the new i20 until GNCAP results came out for other Hyundai's & Kia's. We too deserve safer cars when we pay for it. I hope I'm proven wrong and this car scores better though the chances are slim. End of rant.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 15:01   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
* 1.2 petrol feels improved. It isnt exactly rev friendly like say a Swift 1.2 but is decent for city drive. Elite i20 petrol was anemic. This isnt. Even with 4 people onboard. Gearshift is butter smooth. Clutch is fine. 1.2 petrol is a good option to have honestly. Engine felt noiser than my Creta's 1.5 setup. Though I would give benefit of doubt to the poor maintenance and abuse of the test drive vehicle.
I don't think they have tuned the engine. The fact that the new i20 weights 100 kilos lesser means it has better power to weight and torque to weight ratios.
SansGT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 16:03   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
With all due respect Sir, don't you think you are sounding a bit absurd here? As one of the most informed members in this forum, I'm sure you know how important a stable body shell is to safety along with Airbags to save the passengers in the event of an accident. Using words such as "Crucial, important, life saving safety features that are only found in the i20" is very much misleading, coz all those features you just mentioned becomes mere "BLING" when you have an UNSTABLE BODY SHELL & an UNSTABLE FOOTWELL AREA. Now I know the i20 isn't tested yet, so it can go either ways. But seeing how the expensive Seltos has fared with barely 3 stars, and lil brother i10 NIOS with just 2, we know what priority Hyundai gives to safety. So until it's tested, i20 in my sceptical mind is still very much an unsafe car. The moment this car scores better Safety rating I will agree with everything you have shared. Seeing how Hyundai has been behaving until now, we all know how that goes.

So there you go, there's a reason why people are saying there's more BLING to Hyundai/Kia than the actual stuff. Comparison to Seltos was just to show my concerns about the brand.

And please don't belittle other brands, coz Hushhh, they provide more VALUE to your as well your families LIFE at a lower cost than these Koreans. I have my respect for them.
Thanks for the reply, I have been wanting to point out the absurd post and secretly hoping someone else 'bells the cat' as I don't have a penchant for condescending discussions and follow ups. Totally agree with what you said.

Quote:

First of all, massive respect for you sir after you shattered the myths related to platforms of Hyundai Cars in India but don't you think that you actually went quite over the top (that's a understatement seeing the edit and the warning from the mods under your post) in this post of yours?

A quick glance on carwale.com shows that the so-called "absolutely safe" one sells at 8.7 and 10.13 lacs on-road Delhi (1.2P and 1.5D respectively) while the full of safety features, that are so earth shattering and Moon-high that others cannot even dream about them, sells at 10.41 and 12.62lacs on road Delhi (1.2P and 1.5D both manual), a good 1.7 and 2.49 lacs cheaper respectively. And at that price the i20 can't even dream about giving its owners a safe structure!! And please don't give me that BS that the i20 hasn't been tested blah blah blah.. For God's sake, the sister Seltos at 21lacs on road barely managed to scrape through 2 stars! For all anyone cares, we have a history of poor performing Hyundais for the 'samajhdar' or the 'wise' to guess the reality!

A senior BHPian like you, at least, should not be the one belittling other brands, safe or unsafe, reliable or unreliable, desi or videshi if you can't encourage people to open up to our Indian manufacturers at least not pull 'em down.
And thanks to people with their condescending narrow-minded thinking who believe anything Indian is low quality that the so-called safe one is so affordably priced and their brothers and sisters as well throughout the line-up. No wonder the foreigners are milking us Indians and our own Indian brands with competitive products are watching us getting milked.

I so hope the so-called safe one with its upcoming model gets a real top-end variant to shut such negative comments, and i know even then it will be much more affordably priced, a price that suits a premium hatchback.
Candy$Cars is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 18:50   #296
BHPian

Quote:
That's interesting, can you say what about it felt unimpressive when compared to the other audio systems?
I felt the sound output while being in the rear seat isnt that great. The surround sound effect isnt there. The Bose unit in Creta/Seltos is distinctively better aurally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
I don't think they have tuned the engine. The fact that the new i20 weights 100 kilos lesser means it has better power to weight and torque to weight ratios.
Yeah. right. Better power : weight is helping the performance. Honestly the 1.2 variants like Magna/Sportz are only ones which are priced ok. Being a decent engine makes it better now.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 19:48   #297
BHPian

Quote:
The new i20 happens to be the only car in its class (4 metre premium hatchbacks) to offer crucial, important, life-saving safety features like side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, Hill Hold, TPMS etc. on the top variant (which are, of course, dismissed as “bling” and “gizmos”).
These indeed are crucial safety features and it is great that a car from this segment is offering them and hopefully others will follow. These should not be considered as bling or gizmos. I personally only identify following as bling :
1. Large Touch-Screens. (Soon we may see a 10-inch display in an Alto )
2. Connected Car tech.
3. Luxuries like ventilated seats, Sunroof(may be air-purifier) etc.
4. Wireless mobile-charging.

Quote:
Other cars in this class of 4 metre premium hatchbacks, including the so-called “absolutely safe” one, cannot even dream of offering things like side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, Hill Hold, TPMS.
I think the Ford Freestyle has 6 air-bags.

Anyways, I am assuming you are referring to TATA Altroz. IMHO, this expression "cannot dream of" is not fair. Consider this. The Nexon has ESP as standard(even in base variant), and that includes :
- Electronic Traction Control
- Roll-over-Mitigation
- Emergency Brake assist
- Hill Hold Control
- Electronic Brake Pre-fill
- Brake Disc Wiping
Source: https://cars.tatamotors.com/suv/nexon/features.
Nexon even has TPMS too.
If this is possible with Nexon, which is probably just half a segment above Altroz, that too with a decade-old Indica-based platform(X1 I think), then it is not unfathomable to think that the Altroz with a brand new(ALFA) platform can be added with at least some of the safety features that you have mentioned(side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, Hill Hold, TPMS).

It will be more of a business decision rather than capability that decides whether an OEM gives such features in a particular segment. As per my knowledge all future sub-4 meter TATA products(including next-gen Nexon) will be based on this ALFA platform.

I understand the vehicle's platform needs to be capable of having such features. But unless there is a known limitation with any platform, it is always possible to add such safety features to a car in future.

Quote:
No, they don’t! Apart from the engines, gearboxes and other powertrain components, everything is different between the Creta and Seltos. Same with the Venue and Sonet.

Not only are the “top hats” on top of the platform between the above mentioned cars different, but the platforms themselves have several differences. I have carefully analysed the differences between them and will post it sometime later.
I am not sure I understand. Are the below statements/quotes from official TeamBhp reviews of Creta & Sonet incorrect? or these have to be interpreted differently? Because "platform" may mean different things to each individual.

Looking forward to your posts to clarify this and hopefully after that, you will also petition the moderators to change these statements from the official reviews of Creta & Sonet if they are incorrect.

I am sure the huge number of Creta-owners will be happy if Creta scores better ratings in GNCAP than Seltos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Creta's Teambhp official review says this :
"Under the skin, the new Creta is the same vehicle as its biggest competitor and sister car, the Kia Seltos. They share the same platform which includes the powertrain options, type of suspension, and various structural and mechanical components. So what differentiates these two cars from different brands of the same company? It's the styling, features and tuning of some mechanical components."
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Hyundai Creta : Official Review)

Same is the case with Venue & Sonet too, because Sonet's official Teambhp review says : "Like the Seltos & Creta, this is almost identical to the Venue under the skin."
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Kia Sonet : Official Review)
Napalm is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:59   #298
Senior - BHPian

2020 Hyundai i20 continues testing after launch, spied In Delhi

Hyundai i20 Review-smartselect_20201222105627_chrome.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-smartselect_20201222105641_chrome.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-smartselect_20201222105649_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:43   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
2020 Hyundai i20 continues testing after launch, spied In Delhi
that's not Delhi... Mathura Road, Faridabad IMO. Technically that NCR.

The car must be traveling to Hyundai Tech Center in the city.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:47   #300
Senior - BHPian

No chrome on taillights. Is this a new variant? Wish the chrome on the new i20s taillights were removable

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks