Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 13:58   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Overpriced Hyundai's New i20 shows a 13 % drop in volumes (Y-O-Y) in Nov sales.

Far away when compared to the leader in this segment. Shows sales as 9096 units though claiming 25+k bookings .

Link
I think the numbers are not as bad considering it was launched on 5th Nov (numerically 1/6 of the month had passed). The success of stupid pricing has to be seen on long term basis as company has clearly pitched it against Toyota Glanza & above all else.

1st month sales are barely an indication of success of vehicle from top brands.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 21:00   #272
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is absolutely atrocious coupled with the bad looks and proportions. The older i20 was a stunning looker. Then came those ugly digital instruments. The novelty factor may help the new i20 in the initial 2/3 months. After that, it will fizzle out. It makes much much better sense to buy Venue/Sonet over this, if one has to buy a Korean.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th December 2020 at 23:00. Reason: a, an , the added
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th December 2020, 22:54   #273
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at new i20 today. Here are my few observations :
1. Door felt light, more in tune with Maruti than VW. As compared to its predecessor, new i20 felt like lacking in heft of doors. This was an unpleasant surprise.

2. Boot hatch also felt lighter. The overall quality feel while operating hatch of outgoing car was simply absent. The variant we saw was Asta, penultimate trim, it had a provision of recess to close hatch. Didnt' feel as well built as the asking price commands it to be. Rear windshield didn't have any sort of rubber insulation from inside the hatch. When the trim touches a million rupees or cross the magical million rupee price tag, things could have been better. Still I am sure Hyundai would have worked well for NVH, credit where its due though this is more of an anticipation. OT : I had a ride in Sonet DCT top end trim, the level of cabin insulation Hyundai/Kia provides is simply class leading. I bought grand i10 over Liva and Swift due to this part of excellent cabin insulation.

3. Front seats : Surprisingly comfortable! They are pretty high set for a low slung hatchback. Perhaps excessive underthigh support for those who are not very tall. Appreciate this fact, Ciaz owners would find solidarity here. However, same problem in i20 as I faced in Venue : If I am seated on co-driver seat, my left elbow room is very poor. Else a departure from what I expected from Hyundai. Space is not a concern. Decent size of footwell as well.

4. Rear Seat : Quite low. Not so good underthigh support. But the penultimate trim doesn't get adjustable rear headrests ! Why Hyundai ? IIRC, the first generation Santro had rear adjustable headrests and Zen didn't have it. Really weird and cunning way to push for top trim. Lower seat means those upgrading cars like Wagon R/Celerio/Santro will find the rear slightly claustrophobic. Just my view.

5. Front Bumper chin is quite low. Car also looks overtly aggressive for a small car. Steering wheel felt excellent to hold, very, very premium. Hyundai knows how to improve or provide segment best touch points. Car is quite low overall. Swift for example doesn't feel so low.

Overall, from my brief view of i20, it doesn't feel that it commands such a hefty price tag. The tough or robust feel of previous generation is lost. And I fail to understand what all the hype is all about. If I am in market for a small car and having spare million rupees, I would switch my mind to get Sonet.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:00   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Overall, from my brief view of i20, it doesn't feel that it commands such a hefty price tag. The tough or robust feel of previous generation is lost. And I fail to understand what all the hype is all about. If I am in market for a small car and having spare million rupees, I would switch my mind to get Sonet.
While the Sonet is the best all-rounder within 4m rule today, by a large margin, your assessment of the i20 is not realistic/complete without a test drive.

Once you drive the car you'll be astounded by the eerie silence of the cabin and Fiat-like, flat, pothole gobbling ride quality, trust me I put it to its paces. The cabin felt as good as the Elantra in terms of ride and NVH, the steering had plenty of feedback and the interior ergonomics (driver side) is comparable to luxury brands.

All said I agree the car has lost weight, I mentioned it on the driving impressions a month ago, but the sheet metal is just as sturdy as the last gen and the car is sure footed even more despite the weightloss. The only minus of the i20 is the poor torque and horrible DCT configuration, otherwise it deserves every rupee of its asking price.

Last edited by dark.knight : 6th December 2020 at 22:01.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:32   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The only minus of the i20 is the poor torque and horrible DCT configuration
Do you mean the turbo lag here, i.e., poor low-end torque, or just poor torque in general? Many reviewers have given good reviews about the torque at 2k+ RPMs, so I was wondering why you feel the torque is poor.

Also, did you find any particular issues with the DCT configuration? Or is it the general heating issues that have been reported for it, especially on the Venue?
CasualDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:56   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualDriver View Post
Do you mean the turbo lag here, i.e., poor low-end torque, or just poor torque in general? Many reviewers have given good reviews about the torque at 2k+ RPMs, so I was wondering why you feel the torque is poor.

Also, did you find any particular issues with the DCT configuration? Or is it the general heating issues that have been reported for it, especially on the Venue?
Torque is poor, I mean low-end grunt of course, mid-range is strong on the i20 but I don't care about mid-range or the i-Vtec 100 kmph @ 8000 RPM, it may please childish YouTube reviewers but what'd get my blood going is 8000 kmph @ 100 RPM, now that'd be an engine.

I know I'm exaggerating quite a bit but I suppose it's partly my personal preference, I was able to handle Maseratis, Lambos etc with ease and BMWs seemed slow to me, I want brutal low end acceleration, blinding 0-40 figures, surprisingly I feel at home with the old-school, mechanical linkaged cars like Getz, Alto, 800, Santro etc which have fantastic accelerator pedal calibration and sharp throttle response. The car must pin me into the back seat in the first 0.5 mm of accelerator input or I hate the car.

To try to answer your question as accurately as possible, I was cruising at 40 kmph, and pressed the gas pedal, no response, and a linear, slllooowwww rise in speed, sick of that I went pedal to the floor, again RPMs rose and maybe 2 seconds later the car jerked into motion violently.. for 1 second, and again went on its way.. slow. I laughed at the driveability and literally asked the salesman " is that all this turbo engine and 7 speed DCT has to offer?". In fact I trashed the car verbally so much that I didn't get a call-back to gauge interest on the model.

Hyundai has nailed the haptics, interiors, build and NVH, 100%, but gearing ratios, DCT programming, engine tuning - a miserable failure these days. If one drives the Getz and current i20 back to back it won't be a contest, the Getz would've crossed the 1 mile line before the i20 even started.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 17:08   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
To try to answer your question as accurately as possible, I was cruising at 40 kmph, and pressed the gas pedal, no response, and a linear, slllooowwww rise in speed, sick of that I went pedal to the floor, again RPMs rose and maybe 2 seconds later the car jerked into motion violently.. for 1 second, and again went on its way.. slow. I laughed at the driveability and literally asked the salesman " is that all this turbo engine and 7 speed DCT has to offer?". In fact I trashed the car verbally so much that I didn't get a call-back to gauge interest on the model.
That's interesting. When I test drove the DCT, there was a 1-second delay when I went a bit hard on the accelerator. After that, it shifted to a lower gear and at around 2.5k RPM, acceleration was nice and fast.

But I don't really have a lot of experience with high-end cars, so my "fast" might be your "slow" .
Old 9th December 2020, 09:12   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I don't really have a lot of experience with high-end cars, so my "fast" might be your "slow" .
Maybe, but its not that I like speed either, I hate speed-demons who are aplenty on the roads and they like to push a car beyond its limits at the risk of others (don't care about them), so I get that speed never has a limit, people in Ferraris get bored of their rides after sometime.

However what I'm pointing to is easy, steady torque.. the Santro just touches 15+ by merely leaving the clutch, the Getz was easy cruising at 80/100 at merely 1500/1800 RPM, and since it had a cast-iron engine, even at those revs one could merely hear a tiny whine and not a grunt. Hyundai cars used to be easily driveable in city which is what I loved about them, I didn't care for 2-3 kmpl lesser fuel economy.

Hyundai cars today have fallen far from the apple tree, their legacy. Today their engines grunt and groan uncomfortably as it moves, their gearing is taller and hopelessly configured and peak torque is in the range of the worst engine on earth for me, the i-Vtec.

I just want to caress the A-pedal with my feet and watch the car effortlessly touch the ton and cruise without a care in the world, I think only the Kona would satisfy me in that regard, because I'm sick of driving the automatics, Audi was slow (albeit much faster than mass-market automatics), VWs are slow, Ford DCT was a cruel joke and even the Elantra while it has fantastic pull from 2nd gear onwards, it still leaves me a lot to desire in the 0-60 region which is what I do 99.99% of the time.

We need engines made for India, not Europe or America where one can hit triple digits by slamming the pedal to the floor and stay there for more than 10 minutes at a stretch. Indian engines need early, brutal torque, all concentrated on the 0-80 mark.
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 14:48   #279
Senior - BHPian

2020 Hyundai i20 Advanced light weight K platform detailed, claims to be structurally stronger.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 10th December 2020 at 14:49.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 18:16   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
2020 Hyundai i20 Advanced light weight K platform detailed, claims to be structurally stronger.
4 stars or more in the Indian GNCAP frontal offset collision test . Thats all that matters these days.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 22:39   #281

Looks like the big 10.25" screen does not have support for Android Auto in fullscreen! It only uses 2/3 of the screen, unlike the 10.25" screens in the Creta and Seltos which have widescreen support.

A video I found that shows this:

If there are any owners of Asta+ variants, can they confirm this? I wonder if a firmware update will fix this. If not, there is no point in advertising a huge touchscreen which only uses 2/3 of it - it will probably be smaller than 8-inch ones!
Old 13th December 2020, 23:50   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the big 10.25" screen does not have support for Android Auto in fullscreen! It only uses 2/3 of the screen, unlike the 10.25" screens in the Creta and Seltos which have widescreen support.
The Kia Sonet’s 10.25 inch touchscreen also does the same thing. Both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay cover only 2/3rd of the screen.
Old 14th December 2020, 05:50   #283
BHPian

Quote:

A video I found that shows this: https://Youtu.be/loDvj9gZuPo?t=740

If there are any owners of Asta+ variants, can they confirm this? I wonder if a firmware update will fix this. If not, there is no point in advertising a huge touchscreen which only uses 2/3 of it - it will probably be smaller than 8-inch ones!

I confirm the 2/3rd screen usage. I have Asta (O)
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 12:07   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The Kia Sonet’s 10.25 inch touchscreen also does the same thing. Both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay cover only 2/3rd of the screen.
Wow. A 10.25" screen that is worse than an 8-inch screen... I thought most people preferred Android Auto / Apple CarPlay over in-built infotainment? How is this not being flagged by reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I confirm the 2/3rd screen usage. I have Asta (O)
Thanks for the confirmation! I've seem some posts online where people have tried switching off "Allow split screen" for Android Auto in General Settings. Could you try that and see if it works?

Well, this is something for potential buyers to keep in mind. It is crappy implementation of software, especially considering all the "tech" that Hyundai / Kia boasts of. Hopefully a firmware update fixes this, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 14th December 2020, 13:29   #285
Senior - BHPian

2020 Hyundai i20 gets 30,000 bookings in 40 days since launch and already delivered 10,000 cars.

Hyundai i20 Review-smartselect_20201214133034_chrome.jpg

Quote:
We are delighted to receive around 30 000 bookings for the all-new i20," said Tarun Garg, Director - Sales, Marketing and Service - at Hyundai India.

Garg also added that 85% of the bookings are for the higher trims of the new i20 which goes to show the expectations that Indian buyers have from their new vehicle purchases. "After a stellar festive season, we are happy to share, that 10,000 customers have already taken delivery of the all-new i20," he added.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 14th December 2020 at 13:34.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks