Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2022, 10:53   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallav167 View Post
3> How much will be the approx. difference in fuel efficiency between iMT and CVT as compared to manual ones? Is it negligible or considerable?
While I cannot give a comparison of fuel efficiency between models, based on my 1 month usage IVT in Bangalore city gives me around 9 to 11 mileage. Please note I have not been travelling in heavy traffic these days. Also mileage can increase after first service.
But IVT is such a bliss to drive, it’s so silent, smooth and peaceful. Speeds up to 90 to 100 is easily attainable. I cannot think about driving my Octavia manual anymore in the city.
At the same time it’s not fun to drive, if that’s your requirement too. But for that matter none of i20 is really fun.
Go for IVT, you will thank me later - expect for the fuel efficiency may be
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 14:06   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
At the same time it’s not fun to drive, if that’s your requirement too. But for that matter none of i20 is really fun.
I think turbo is little more fun to drive but it is not available with IVT and that's the reason the confusion continues between iMT and IVT. But thanks for your suggestion, I will definitely keep IVT on top of my priority.
Old 27th January 2022, 15:15   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think turbo is little more fun to drive but it is not available with IVT and that's the reason the confusion continues between iMT and IVT. But thanks for your suggestion, I will definitely keep IVT on top of my priority.
I found IMT to be very confusing, but it’s a good trade off between Manual and Auto. So based on your requirements, it’s either best of both worlds or neither here nor there kind.
Don’t know for others but I feel having a combination of Manual and IMT in your garage is going to be super confusing. Or am I thinking too much?
Old 27th January 2022, 16:04   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1> Does Turbo engines requires higher maintenance cost (in longer run) as compared to the naturally aspirated ones? I heard that there are chances of turbo failure in longer run?
2> How is the long term reliability of iMT? Does it has higher maintenance cost (Service+ part failures) as compared to manual ones?
3> How much will be the approx. difference in fuel efficiency between iMT and CVT as compared to manual ones? Is it negligible or considerable?
4> How much is the difference in fuel efficiency between Turbo and naturally aspirated engines? Is it almost negligible?

I know I am asking for too many details, but since I have always owned naturally aspirated petrol cars, I am not very confident about the upkeeps of Turbo and Automatics.

Thanks,
Pallav
There is an entire thread dedicated to your first question https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...nes-india.html (Maintenance of the new breed of turbo-charged petrol engines in India)

Now IMT is relatively new in our country so long term reliability will need to be seen in the long run. AMT which is a more complicated form of IMT has been around for a while now and I have not seen much issue with reliability

My 1.0 turbo IMT gives me 15 kmpl in city and 20 on the highway. I am a sedate driver and don't venture out in peak hours.

I only had MT cars before this and the shift to IMT has been a great boon in traffic.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 14:55   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Thanks... the above thread is quite helpful. I think I have gone through it last year but that time I was seriously looking for a Turbo car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
My 1.0 turbo IMT gives me 15 kmpl in city and 20 on the highway. I am a sedate driver and don't venture out in peak hours.
I only had MT cars before this and the shift to IMT has been a great boon in traffic.
This is what I was looking for. I am now sure that iMT definitely provides better FE over IVT or any automatic. This added with better torque makes it the best proposition to purchase iMT. I am focusing on FE, because I will probably ditch my Seltos for daily office commutation once I get i20 which is 35 Kms each day.
Otherwise, my wife's uses of 2nd car is not more than 250 Km / month.
Old 29th January 2022, 18:17   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,
I have a question that is bothering me for a few weeks. It is related to my confusion on which of the available engine options in i20 should I go for.

I am looking for the suggestions of the rookie Team Bhpians as it will help me in taking a better-informed decision.

Thanks,
Pallav
I suggest drive both the CVT and the iMT - the CVT is the 'more normal' automatic and the iMT is an acquired taste for most folks (the latter being new)

The Turbo will be more FTD but the fuel efficiency will be dependent on the driving style (more sensitive) while the CVT will be the one to have in back-to-back traffic scenarios. (But will likely return consistent fuel efficiency numbers)

Switching between the CVT and your MT Seltos may be an easier ask as compared to iMT <-> MT (one may go for changing gears without depressing the clutch)

Since you will be in for a long ownership, go for something that appeals most to you from a overall comfort and drive perspective.
kedar_GT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 18:31   #427
BHPian

I would say go for the 1.2 CVT if you are after fuel efficiency. I have driven the 1.2 manual and the engine isn't anything to write home about. You would be changing the gears more to keep it going but the CVT can mask the engine's such short comings providing decent driveability without compromising the FE.

As for the 1.0 turbo, turbo petrols are not known for their fuel efficiency. My Polo GT (1.2) delivers around ~12 in mixed conditions and I am a sedate driver, these days.

Test drive the short listed variants that will help with the confusion better.
corvus corax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:42   #428
BHPian

The 1.2 CVT is the most reliable option out of these 3. I would not recommend a DCT to anyone, period. Granted the CVT is least fun to drive but it would be my pick for a long term, hassle free ownership
Old 31st January 2022, 17:27   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I was looking for. I am now sure that iMT definitely provides better FE over IVT or any automatic. This added with better torque makes it the best proposition to purchase iMT. I am focusing on FE
You are right regarding better FE with the Turbo IMT combination. IMT has a good feature in that it allows you to choose the gearing that you want for best FE, keeping the advantages of no clutch driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post

Switching between the CVT and your MT Seltos may be an easier ask as compared to iMT <-> MT (one may go for changing gears without depressing the clutch)
I was in a very similar situation, Having been driving MTs all these years, switched over to IMT and found my Left leg always pressing the floor while changing gears, but after 2/3000 kms this unconscious response died away. After about 6 months while driving my wife's new Ford Figo MT, I often forgot to press the C pedal with not so nice consequences. But after a few 100 KMS this response quickly faded. Now I switch between the cars without any issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
As for the 1.0 turbo, turbo petrols are not known for their fuel efficiency.
This is a informative article on direct comparison of NA and turboed engine FE. In summary "Modern engines using well matched turbos and other technologies like direct fuel injection are capable of exceeding the performance of larger naturally aspirated engines across the full rev range – from just off idle all the way to the redline. Their immense bottom-end power and intrinsically higher thermal efficiency also allows them to develop much better real-world fuel economy."
Old 31st January 2022, 17:59   #430
BHPian

Quote:
is a informative article on direct comparison of NA and turboed engine FE.
I can show you other articles that state otherwise. Moreover, comparing a 2 litre four cylinder engine with an 1 litre three cylinder engine isn't fair because engines with higher displacement happen to be on the more efficient side of the spectrum.

Last edited by corvus corax : 31st January 2022 at 18:02.
Old 1st February 2022, 14:38   #431

Quote:
I found IMT to be very confusing, but it’s a good trade off between Manual and Auto. So based on your requirements, it’s either best of both worlds or neither here nor there kind.
Don’t know for others but I feel having a combination of Manual and IMT in your garage is going to be super confusing. Or am I thinking too much?
I have an Amaze diesel MT and a Sonet iMT together in the garage. I don't find it confusing or bothersome switching between the two cars. Maybe it's different for others, but I feel like one can easily readapt between the two.
Nikhil0812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 15:55   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil0812 View Post
I have an Amaze diesel MT and a Sonet iMT together in the garage. I don't find it confusing or bothersome switching between the two cars. Maybe it's different for others, but I feel like one can easily readapt between the two.
Probably we adapt after few drives.
Even with i20 IVT, couple of times I stalled Octavia MT when I slowed down the car for stopping but did not press the clutch.
My worry with MT and iMT combination is mistakenly I do a high speed gear change in MT without pressing the clutch
Old 5th February 2022, 18:12   #433
BHPian

Recently brought home i20 asta(o) diesel. Looking for a boot mat. Any recommendations?
Also, has anyone installed screen protector for the head unit? Is that required and any recommendations?
Old 5th February 2022, 18:37   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Recently brought home i20 asta(o) diesel. Looking for a boot mat. Any recommendations?
Also, has anyone installed screen protector for the head unit? Is that required and any recommendations?
The boot mat at the dealer is very good quality and reasonably priced too, around 1200.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 06:16   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My worry with MT and iMT combination is mistakenly I do a high speed gear change in MT without pressing the clutch
Generally this would not happen as the gear change mech would not allow it. Speaking from my own experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Don't see why you need a screen protector, it's not like it's a mobile phone with rough use etc.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks