Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 00:53   #316
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
re: Hyundai i20 Review

I just returned from a road trip covering approx 1000 kms and the turbo petrol DCT returned a fuel efficiency of 17.5 kmpl. This is with 30% city traffic and rest highways. Diesel should return upwards 20 kmpl easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaydieselboy View Post
I need some advice on petrol vs diesel. I want to buy this but confused about petrol mileage. This looks great.
Striker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 07:35   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
I just returned from a road trip covering approx 1000 kms and the turbo petrol DCT returned a fuel efficiency of 17.5 kmpl. This is with 30% city traffic and rest highways. Diesel should return upwards 20 kmpl easily.
17.5 kmpl is not bad, but seemingly you were enjoying the engine & ride than driving @ 90 kmph (approx). If driven sedately & AC use is limited, I have no doubt the smaller (though Turbo-ed) petrol engines can deliver stellar efficiency figures.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 22:12   #318
BHPian

I am in the market looking for a good hatch for my wife. The requirement is for an automatic petrol. In my quest to finalise one, I've test driven the Ford EcoSport, Tata Nexon, Venue, DCT, Vitara Brezza AT and i20 turbo DCT.

I had almost finalised i20 without even a TD, looking at the numbers on paper and expecting performance from Hyundai. When I test drove it, I was shocked by its lackluster performance. There is no turbo grunt in the engine. My 10 year old i10 with TC did better. The gearshift is jerky, worse than an AMT at times. The gearbox is reluctant to downshift even when dead slow resulting in the engine lugging at low speeds. The gearbox tends to stay in the 2nd ratio. The engine is not as refined as expected from Hyundai. Poor NVH level in an 11.5 L hatchback. Cancelled the booking.

The TD car had its check engine light on and the executive had no clue about it. How on earth are they hired without having any knowledge about cars? I still hope that it was just this car and not the product as a whole which has these issues. I might go for another TD before I write it off my list.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2021 at 07:03. Reason: Typos
sheelz is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd January 2021, 04:58   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
The TD car had its check engine light on and the executive had no clue about it. How on earth are they hired without having any knowledge about cars!!! I still hope that it was just this car and not the product as whole which has these issues. I might go for another TD before I write it off my list.
I would definitely blame the poor vehicle maintenance by the Dealerships. It has happened to me twice! In the 1st instance, it was Volkswagen Ameo and on the other BMW. A close friend had a Polo GT TSi and after driving that I really wanted to get a Diesel DSG and in comes the Ameo 1.5 TDI DSG. I was shocked seeing how lethargic that gearbox had and it showed similar symptoms as the i20's TD you mentioned above. The dealer forced me to check out the Vento TDi DSG when I gave them the feedback and voila! The performance was exactly how I expected furthermore, they offered me one of their executives DSG Ameo and again it was exactly how a DSG ought perform.

The next up was BMW, it was a 320d and again the same issues, slow shifts, poor acceleration and higher engine noise. Furthermore, surprisingly, the car was holding gears unnecessarily even when I didn't wanted it & trust me, I vouched never to drive a F30 gain after that horrible experience and Yes! Now I own a LCI and it has been a sheer bliss!

Please take a TD of a car at some other dealership, I am sure you drove a car which had some unsorted issues. Furthermore, even VW guys had said & I somewhat agree to them, these hatchback and CS ATs are highly driven due to the frequent TDs of different customers and all have their own way of driving moreover there are several customers who has recently forayed into the segment and are often driving an AT for the first time which results in major abuse of transmission.

Best of luck with your purchase! Cheers.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:38   #320
BHPian

Quote:
I was shocked by its lackluster performance. There is no turbo grunt in the engine. My 10 year old i10 with TC did better. The gearshift is jerky, worse than an AMT at times. The gearbox is reluctant to downshift even when dead slow resulting in the engine lugging at low speeds. The gearbox tends to stay in the 2nd ratio. The engine is not as refined as expected from Hyundai. Poor NVH level in an 11.5 L hatchback. Cancelled the booking.

The TD car had its check engine light on and the executive had no clue about it. How on earth are they hired without having any knowledge about cars? I still hope that it was just this car and not the product as a whole which has these issues. I might go for another TD before I write it off my list.

I suggest you test drive this car at some other dealership. I didn't have this experience during my test drive although I bought 1.2 petrol because of budget constraint. I liked both engine smoothness and gearbox behaviour.
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:15   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......There is no turbo grunt in the engine. My 10 year old i10 with TC did better. The gearshift is jerky, worse than an AMT at times. The gearbox is reluctant to downshift even when dead slow resulting in the engine lugging at low speeds. The gearbox tends to stay in the 2nd ratio. The engine is not as refined as expected from Hyundai. Poor NVH level in an 11.5 L hatchback. Cancelled the booking.
Not just Hyundai. Jerkiness is inherent in all DSGs/DCTs, especially at crawl-speeds in traffic and through first 3 gears. Wonder why people say DSG/DCTs are smooth boxes. Faster-shifting, they may be but smoother? Naaw. Want smoothness, go for TC. Or, better still, CVT. Here's the new i20 DCT vs. Baleno CVT acceleration shoot-out video. I'm surprised that Baleno CVT is faster. This video is put out by Overdrive and not a newbie wannabe youtuber, so I would take their word for it. I know magazine's do have biases but they can't lie about numbers.

Some people have suggested you try a different car at a different dealership. You may try but I doubt because new i20 is barely 3/4 months old. How much might this have been abused?
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 02:06   #322
BHPian

I just took a test drive of the i20 Turbo DCT today. The car sure feels well put-together and I really felt super easy right into the test drive. Since I'm not very used to driving automatics, I took my time to familiarise and respond to the DCT.

1. Extremely smooth to drive
2. Telescopic and Tilt steering + good seats - easy to find a perfect driving position
3. Digital instrument cluster, something i usually hate, is designed so well. Very easy to read
4. Turbo petrol in S/ Manual mode was thrilling!
5. Cabin refinement, especially for a 3 cylinder engine
6. Audio qualtiy was really good!
7. Steering feels way better compared to the prev-gen i20
8. Gear ratios are spaced beautifully and power is always available in the S or Manual Mode

Dislikes:

1. DSG is quite jerky in D mode in the lower revs.
2. D mode shifts very soon and the turbo lag was super irritating! I loved using the S mode where the revs were mostly above 2k rpm
3. Lag in throttle response in D - maybe also magnified with the turbo lag.
4. Price - super expensive!
5. Crash rating (rather the lack of it) and general concerns reg. the same with Hyundai/ Kia
6. Interiors, though well appointed, felt a bit too plasticky to my liking

I have mentioned only the most important aspects I observed during the test drive as all the general positives and negatives have already been mentioned in plenty. I have to say the sunroof really did not make a big impression. As a driver, my head is always ahead of the sunroof and though it may increase the cabin brightness, I really felt not much of a difference as I'm anyways facing the bright road ahead. Maybe as a rear passenger it might make a difference. So I realised Sun-roof will never be a deal-breaker for me.

Overall, the car felt amazing with good space and being super easy to drive. I sure will not purchase this car owing to my poor experience with my Eon, the concern over Safety ratings and the price. But otherwise, it sure is a compelling product!
freakmuzik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 23:02   #323
BHPian

Ok so the i20 threw up its first problem around a month back. The request sensor stopped working and I had to lock/unlock the car from the remote only. The weird part was that the while the sensor didn’t work while locking/unlocking it did produce a beep when the sensor was pressed while the door was open. This told me that the sensor was working and the problem lay somewhere else.

The workshop however had different ideas. They replaced the door handle under warranty a couple of days back and now even the new handle is working only intermittently. It has a mind of its own. It works perfectly sometimes and doesn’t work at all on other occasions (this is exactly how the problem originated the first time).

I have a slinking feeling that its not really the handle at fault but some kind of a BCM/ECU issue with the car. Any ideas?
Potenza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 20:31   #324
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
I have a slinking feeling that its not really the handle at fault but some kind of a BCM/ECU issue with the car. Any ideas?
My wife took the car out the other day (alone) for the first time and she called with the exact same problem - unable to lock the car using the request sensor on the door handle, even with all doors closed. Asked her to go back inside, restart the car and then try locking again, luckily problem was resolved. Thought of it as a one-off issue or some kind of mistake from my wife since she is a newbie.

Will keep a watch out for this issue and report back.
Striker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 00:20   #325
BHPian

Any experience/link to heads up display accessory unit for new i20?
Really wanna try specially with navigation directions display.
Old 13th February 2021, 10:49   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
My wife took the car out the other day (alone) for the first time and she called with the exact same problem - unable to lock the car using the request sensor on the door handle, even with all doors closed. Asked her to go back inside, restart the car and then try locking again, luckily problem was resolved. Thought of it as a one-off issue or some kind of mistake from my wife since she is a newbie.

Will keep a watch out for this issue and report back.
Keep an eye on the problem. My car has been to the workshop again yesterday and they found out that its not really a door handle/request sensor issue. Apparently there’s a device called SMARTRA which seems to be the problem but they havent been able to say for sure.

I’m waiting for a few days for them to get back before I escalate this topic further.
Potenza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 14:56   #327
BHPian

My TPMS sensor started showing low pressure warning in dashboard. I filled up air at petrol pump to 34 in all 4 tires. Warning didn't go and reading was 31 in 1 tire and 32 in other 3 tires.
Filled air at different petrol pump second day. Machine was already showing 33 and topped it to 34 in all 4 tires.
Warning still didn't go away.
Visited workshop, they filled 39 in all the tires. Drove car for 1km, it showed 37 in all the tires in dashboard reading.
No more Warning in dashboard.
As ride was bumpy and harsh with so much pressure, reduced air pressure. Now shows 35 in all the 4 tires.
Learning:
1. Dashboard reading can have 1-2 psi difference with pump
2. Fill more air to remove warning. Then u can reduce pressure I guess.
i20 doesn't have tpms reset button.
Old 5th March 2021, 15:21   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Once a leader, but now the 'Premium' 2020 Elite will fight it out with Tata Atroz for the second position in coming months and was never in winning position since its 2020 launch.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 5797
Size:  153.8 KB

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th March 2021 at 15:45.
Old 5th March 2021, 15:34   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Once a leader, but now the 'Premium' 2020 Elite will fight it out with Tata Atroz for the second position in coming months and was never in winning position since its 2020 launch.
My observation is this.

From the time of Getz, Hyundai is on a path to pushing the ceiling as to how much someone is willing to pay for a premium hatch - there was an i10 Asta with Sunroof, Mk1 i20 Asta (O) with 6 airbags etc and now this i20.

After announcing that they cannot match or compete with Maruti some years back, Hyundai has left the lower end of the price band to Maruti in most segments where they are competing.

With a gap of ~3L in comparison to Altroz and Baleno, they are once again pushing the ceiling.
Old 8th March 2021, 20:17   #330
BHPian

Mat Watson of Carwow reviews the the new Hyundai i20.
ATRONIX is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks