Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2021, 13:31   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
This is a forum, I am talking to you, you are talking to me. The forum nature; gives us the freedom of expression, ...... if you can elaborate on the usage of the word 'shortchanged'.
Pretty clear its my personal opinion. I'm not forcing other members to not discuss the Altroz v Rapid. Quoting what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
I'd rather not compare the Rapid with the Altroz on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
if you can elaborate on the usage of the word 'shortchanged'.
Like I said earlier. How would it look if decade old products from other brands would be sold with some touch ups here and there? In my point of view, I wouldn't consider the Rapid. Plus Skoda makes Tata's A.S.S. look like saints.

You have an OEM on one side who's put in some efforts to provide a product relevant to current trends. And another who is selling a decade old one, with a bland design, no guarantee on safety (doesn't matter how much proven a sibling or a variant from another continent is on that front) and sticking a vfm tag to it.

As far as saying aspirational set of buyers being shortchanged, some may feel the forum is the right place to get expert opinions. And suddenly an outdated product gets thrown into the mix here. With pathetic after sales. It's those buyers I'm speaking about.

End of the day, members are free to compare the Altroz to the Rapid. No need to misquote me here.

Last edited by TROOPER : 24th January 2021 at 13:42. Reason: Typos
TROOPER is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 13:56   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

There was this segment called entry level sedan, Logan and Indigo , Etios, Sail etc were in this segment - The value conscious i20 / premium hatch buyer was perhaps their market however we know what happened afterwards. Is Rapid rider trying to revive this segment? Does Skoda has the brand presence among this demographic to pull an Altroz buyer into their showroom? Time will tell.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 14:21   #108
BHPian

People have been comparing base variants of next segment cars with top variants of lower ones for ages, but in current times things end just there IMO, what actually is selling out there are feature rich cars.

Today's customers buy features along with cars, many want convenience and bling features (nothing wrong) and few look for safety features. Altroz meets both these requirements, Rapid base variant doesn't.

Very few may pick Rapid and i am sure Tata will not mind that, they definitely wouldn't have considered Rapid as a competition while pricing Altroz.
S.MJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 15:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Tata Motors has launched the Altroz i-Turbo in India. The car is priced between Rs. 7.74 lakh - Rs. 8.86 lakh.
Tata has done an excellent job here on two aspects
1. Variants
2. Pricing

A lot of manufacturers in recent times offer a turbo variant as a halo or top of the line offering. Tata has resisted this tendency and instead put out the iTurbo in three variant including a fat free basic version with steel wheels and all. In doing this it have side stepped comparison on the performance front and actually stole a march on competitors by offering performance as a differentiator in the base model comparison.

This also means that their initial petrol model is no longer a weakness rather simply a low power option for customers who couldn't care much for performance.

As a result of the variants it also means that the pricing is very competitive as well and they do not have to bend over backwards to sell the iTurbo.

Good stuff from Tata. Hoping they improve the long game aka service side of the story similarly!

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 17:28   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent, honest pricing . This value-for-money price further helps make it among the top choices in the premium hatchback segment. Turbo power + better performance + a few other niceties are a steal for just Rs. 60,000 more. In EMI terms, that is absolutely nothing. Again, I feel terrible for those that bought the wheezy NA petrol last year.

Would be a very tough choice for anyone deciding between the Altroz turbo-petrol & turbo-diesel. With new age cars, we are seeing that the pricing between the turbo-petrols & diesels is very slim. But it is quite a lot on the Altroz, simply because the turbo-petrol is so well-priced and the diesel's premium was too much. Because I'm not that price-sensitive, I think I'd still go for the Altroz diesel only. As improved as the turbo-petrol is, the turbo-diesel is the superior engine in my books.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 18:59   #111
BHPian

On the automatic front, I feel that Tatas chose the wrong technology. The DCT they have chosen now is a mix and mash of 2 different vendors. For a group that sadly has a reputation for not getting things right the first time around, a safer, older and very reliable technology like the Torque Convertor would have been supremely appropriate. It would have suited the Petrol and the Diesel engines of not just the Altroz but of the Nexon as well. A good 6 speed unit would have helped them get a wonderful automatic for their most desirable cars as well as helped them reduce costs due to volumes. Today potential customers will have to rely on a wholly new DCT for the turbo petrol and a terrible AMT for the diesel. Tata's biggest bugbear has been their poor choice of technology in the powertrain departments. The unnecessary despeccing of petrol and diesel engines for the Altroz, which actually costs the company and ensures that they are never segment leaders in the 4 meter hatchback segment, when it comes to engines and gearboxes.
niranjanprabhu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 22:25   #112

Long time reader, 1st post here.

I am looking to replace my Fiat Punto, 2nd car being a Vento 1.6 mpi. I am totally confused between Polo 1.0 TSI, Rapid Rider plus, and Altroz Turbo petrol.

I haven't got the chance to drive Altroz yet but have driven Nexon. Driving wise, I loved Polo and Rapid. One needs to consciously upshift as the car just races without that dragging/wheezing sounds.

Problem in Polo, if 3-4 adults sit, is a bit cramped. No other issue there. Would have bought Polo in a second had it the cabin space of Rapid or Altroz.

With Rapid, I wish it was a smaller car, which I am actually looking for. Rapid is actually, at 9.30 OTR in Delhi, value for money, if anyone is looking for a sedan.

While all these fall within the budget, and though waiting for test driving the Altroz, grateful if anyone could help.

Thanks.
Hungry_joe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:38   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

The Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol will go on sale shortly.
Hi, Aditya! Thank you for your excellent review. 2 questions:
1. Are there any blind spots in the car (A-pillar, etc..)
2. Any word on the Auto transmission launch?
Old 25th January 2021, 11:44   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the last couple of years - I feel Tata is doing things rather cunningly & ending up playing the right cards at the right time. Good market & competition survey in some products is evident. Nexon & Altroz are certainly at the top of this list. And that shows - both are selling while not at all being "cheap" to buy compared to the peers. In fact Nexon is pricier than competition in some aspects on paper!

I always had this feeling that they are buying time on the i20's arrival with a Turbo and optimistic pricing. The way they got the reviews done via all media and then released the pricing is also rather cheeky! Every video channel went on talking about i20 / Polo being out of the world (for whatever reason or payment). And now comes the Altroz pricing. Polo TSI and i20 TGDI had played their hands and now can only watch how market reacts.

For the price at which this car is launched - there can be 0 complaints. Its a fantastic all round package. And now with this - Tata has a real ace up the sleeve. A joker in fact! The MT variants are priced so competitive that the impending (?) DCT whenever it comes - is definitively going to undercut the AT/DCT prices of the Polo/i20. And by a margin that nobody can ignore! Remarkable strategy & timing is what we can say now. Whether this just happened by coincidence or it was all ruthless planning - we'll never know for real.
Reinhard is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 12:32   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Over the last couple of years - I feel Tata is doing things rather cunningly & ending up playing the right cards at the right time. Good market & competition survey in some products is evident.
Couldn't agree more, while keeping the safety quotient intact, they are now focusing on mileage, power, and refinement aspects. Also they are working on the latest trends of auto industry, which is evident from this (Tata Motors receives 98 patents in 2020). Most of these new patents are related to the megatrends of connected, electrified, sustainable and safe (CESS) automobiles.

Talking about the right time, they are focusing on improving fuel effciencies while the current fuel prices are skyrocketing!
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 12:34   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And now comes the Altroz pricing. Polo TSI and i20 TGDI had played their hands and now can only watch how market reacts.
Polo 1.0 TSI manual OTR in Delhi comes to 8.40. Tata guy mentioned 8.50 OTR for Altroz. Not driven it yet. Just saying that Polo manual is priced well in comparison to Altroz as well as Nexon XM, I think, which comes at 8.80. With Rapid too in the picture for me, as mentioned in my post above, totally confused.

PS: Reinhard: I have read so many of your posts, though I don't own any Tata vehicle. Thanks for that.
Hungry_joe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 13:11   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry_joe View Post
Polo 1.0 TSI manual OTR in Delhi comes to 8.40. Tata guy mentioned 8.50 OTR for Altroz. Not driven it yet. Just saying that Polo manual is priced well in comparison to Altroz as well as Nexon XM, I think, which comes at 8.80. With Rapid too in the picture for me, as mentioned in my post above, totally confused.
Then I must say I may be wrong or there is a significant price difference in Pune & NCR.
In Pune -
Polo Highline Plus 1.0 MT (Cheapest TSI) = 9.7 L OTR
Altroz XT iTurbo MT = 9L OTR

POLO GT TSI 1.0 AT = 11.58L OTR
Altroz XZ+ iTurbo MT = 10.38 OTR. If I add about 70K for a DCT - I would still be around 55K cheaper than the Polo.

(Of course, I'm only speculating. Can be wrong about the DCT pricing altogether. I just see that they have a chance to achieve an under-cut here. And I'm not saying the 1.2RT is equal on all aspects to the 1.0 TSI. What I mean is - the price gap is significant enough to make the 1.2RT feel sufficient for regular use.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry_joe View Post
PS: Reinhard: I have read so many of your posts, though I don't own any Tata vehicle. Thanks for that.
Cheers mate!
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:48   #118
BHPian

The Altroz iTurbo in this blue shade looks very much like an evolution of the blue shade that was available for a time on the Vista Quadrajet and Vista 90bhp Safire. I am sold!!!

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-48227200780dea622eb7ac2f700ce0f09cf74.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-press23jan2101.jpg

The pricing is pretty decent and in my books the Altroz is far ahead of the:
  • Polo GT TSI with regard to the VW being less roomy on the inside, being a 10+ year old design, and having a star less than the Altroz in safety. Am I nitpicking? Maybe, but hey when I can save more than a Lakh on the top trim by going for an Altroz, why can't I nitpick!
  • Hyundai i20 T-GDI with regard to the Hyundai looking like a fast and sleek soap box with a droopy snout. Just my humble personal opinion and no offence to its owners' tastes. Also, ever since the Hyundai Creta braking issue and the manufacturer's silence on it came to my notice, I feel very uneasy about Hyundai cars. The 2nd gen i20 was the best looker of the lot.
Miel is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 19:12   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
[*]Polo GT TSI with regard to the VW being less roomy on the inside, being a 10+ year old design, and having a star less than the Altroz in safety. Am I nitpicking? Maybe
Regarding cabin space definitely it no way is nitpicking, Polo back seat is really cramped, for Indian families rear space does matter.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 22:46   #120
Senior - BHPian

ALTROZ Video Brochure is here

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed