Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2024, 16:32   #2746
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Hello Friends,

With a very sad heart posting this pic of my beast bruised by a careless bus driver. I was standstill at an intersection on a service road. The bus came from road on left and passed me for going toward the road where I was coming from. All these are undivided roads.
He steered too quickly after the front half of bus passing, the rear track moving closer to my car and scuffing through before I could do anything. Of course he fled the scene immediately.

Damages:
1. Scuffing along bumper's right side housing the lights
2. Scuffing / rubbing on the piano black finishes of lights housing
3. Scuffing marks on headlight lens
4. A minor crack on the headlight lens at underside , not visible in front.

Pic attached

What should I do?

I have a zero dep insurance which should cover this entirely I believe. However, I will lose my 50% NCB - have not made a claim in last 15 years on my cars.

My car is due for 6month service in this week and I can get it taken care of via insurance there. However, I am concerned around the downtime that bumper painting will bring in.

I am also thinking how much of restoration may be possible via a detailer? I'd want to avoid a big work and downtime if reasonable result is achieved.

Looking for advise from fellow bhpians.

Thanks in advance to all.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-car-damage.jpg  

Old 30th January 2024, 17:51   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Hello Friends,

With a very sad heart posting this pic of my beast bruised by a careless bus driver. I was standstill at an intersection on a service road. The bus came from road on left and passed me for going toward the road where I was coming from. All these are undivided roads.
He steered too quickly after the front half of bus passing, the rear track moving closer to my car and scuffing through before I could do anything. Of course he fled the scene immediately.
….
Really sad to see this. At times I fear others contribution to own misfortune. As a car lover myself, I know it must be hurting bad. However, now it’s water gone by and the damage is done.

I would have the damage assessed and weigh out the losses in insurance premium. 50% NCB (commendable) on OD premium does not add up to much. In case the repair estimates are more, which in all probability would be, I would let go of my 50% NCB. Other governing factor in my case would be my very average income.

We pay the premiums for such events and nothing wrong in claiming the same. You would reach the 50% NCB again in some time.

Way forward would depend on various individual factors like
a) I can afford the repair costs comfortably.
b) I love the fact that I have certain NCB, it depicts me as a safe driver.
c) I can/ cannot tolerate a few imperfections on my car.
d) Insurance add ons, NCB protect etc.

There is no one correct way ahead. My point of view on this. I know it is not of much help but just a few pointers.

Take care
FLYBOYSID is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 18:18   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOYSID View Post
Way forward would depend on various individual factors like
a) I can afford the repair costs comfortably.
b) I love the fact that I have certain NCB, it depicts me as a safe driver.
c) I can/ cannot tolerate a few imperfections on my car.
d) Insurance add ons, NCB protect etc.

There is no one correct way ahead. My point of view on this. I know it is not of much help but just a few pointers.

Take care
Thanks FLYBOYSID for your kind words. Yes it does hurt a lot to see ones beloved car getting damaged for no fault of own. Thanks for your very balanced suggestions also. I checked the policy and I did not have an NCB protect. My last car insurance claim was in 2008 and it feels emotionally bad to let go that tag. But practically it makes sense to use insurance for below reasons:

1. Yes OD NCB discount is about 10-11 k now and will reduce significantly down the line. This is the day I paid insurance for and an additional premium for Zero Dep. Why put money from pocket then?

2. More so because the headlight lens has cracked and later can throw fogging issues.

3. I'd love my cars to be perfect as much as possible practically.

So, likely I'd use insurance. How should I go about it? I have an appointment for 6 month service on 1st Feb. Is it okay if I just report this for insurance then and there? Or is it required to be reported within one day?
I believe I should expect a downtime of 3-4 working days at least.
Old 31st January 2024, 14:43   #2749
BHPian

Update on my above post regarding Safari bumper damage:

1. Took the car to TMSC. The approx. estimate given is 16k which includes Bumper repaint, Headlight replace and bezels etc.
2. It was not making sense to let go 50% NCB for such an amount - current policy NCB discount itself is 11000+. It may still be 8-9k next year and subsequent years.
3. The deal breaker was however the time span of 8-10 days that SA quoted.. Really Tata? a bumper job and lights replacement taking 10 days- most vulnerable and common scenario perhaps.
4. Anyway that along with NCB loss for 13 k advantage after removing voluntary deductible and consumables etc. - together convinced me not to go for it.
5. Also, on my way I tested some scratch remover/rubbing spray stuff at the fuel bunk and that is taking away most of the scuffing. If I can seal the crack on headlight lens which is not visible and at underside only, all shall be good cosmetically. Some minor paint touch up may also help. Overall not worth the losses plus idle time which can increase further.
6. Was disappointed with typical lackluster Tata attitude and many customers crying of long idle times for their cars, scared me away as mine is nothing major.

Overall feeling was of the staff (except reception) doing a favour to customer. Extended warranty with new cars come with restrictions and makes good case for older used cars. I miss how easily I could get all my issues solved in my previous car at a fab FNG.
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 16:00   #2750
BHPian

Quote:
So, likely I'd use insurance. How should I go about it? I have an appointment for 6 month service on 1st Feb. Is it okay if I just report this for insurance then and there? Or is it required to be reported within one day?
I believe I should expect a downtime of 3-4 working days at least.
There is no need to report the incident or do an immediate claim unless a third party is involved. Do it when you have time. Fill in the dates as relevant when you give your car for repairs. The workshop guy will guide you through it.

Yes a down time of 3-4 days would be the minimum I would envisage. Post the job do not make any payments or fill feedbacks unless you are satisfied with the job.
FLYBOYSID is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 00:12   #2751
BHPian

This has been a long-time pending item for me. Need to upgrade both the high beam and low beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
Is it okay to for a white LED light for the high beam? My main complaint is for the low beam actually. I seldom use high beams.
I think I am clear on the high beam. H7, 4600K and 55W seems to be the specification. Were you able to find a good option for low beam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I had upgraded both my low & high beams.
Can you please tell us which LED was used for the low beam?
Old 5th February 2024, 08:48   #2752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLurkerForLong View Post
I think I am clear on the high beam. H7, 4600K and 55W seems to be the specification. Were you able to find a good option for low beam?

Can you please tell us which LED was used for the low beam?
Last weekend upgraded to H7 for high beam at Tata. For low beam I was told by Tata that H11 is the required LED and unfortunately it was not in stock. They had to open the entire assembly to see the required model. Initially they though it would be H5 for low beam. However, it turned out to be H11 for low beam. One of the differences between H5 and H11 is the diameter of the cooling fan, hence it won’t fit physically in the existing assembly. Mine is pre-facelift, pre-ADAS Feb-2023 Adv Persona Safari.

The low beam assembly was tightened using a one-way screw and required lot of efforts for them to open it up.
IAmGroot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 11:12   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGroot View Post
Last weekend upgraded to H7 for high beam at Tata. For low beam I was told by Tata that H11 is the required LED and unfortunately it was not in stock. They had to open the entire assembly to see the required model. Initially they though it would be H5 for low beam. However, it turned out to be H11 for low beam. One of the differences between H5 and H11 is the diameter of the cooling fan, hence it won’t fit physically in the existing assembly. Mine is pre-facelift, pre-ADAS Feb-2023 Adv Persona Safari.

The low beam assembly was tightened using a one-way screw and required lot of efforts for them to open it up.
Thanks. Mine is the same as yours. How much did the high beam replacement cost and what brand was it? Also, did they provide a quote for low beam?
Old 5th February 2024, 13:33   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLurkerForLong View Post
Thanks. Mine is the same as yours. How much did the high beam replacement cost and what brand was it? Also, did they provide a quote for low beam?
Rs 6,700 for H7 high beam, Blaupunkt brand with 2 years warranty. Existing bulbs were from Philips. For Low beam they did not give a quote since they did not have in stock. Verbally the person told me it should be similarly priced. Tata provides headlamp upgrade as official accessory, hence one can go ahead without worrying about after-market warranty etc.

In case you are planning, set aside few hours for the job to be done. It took 4 hours in my case. The removal of front grill and bumper took a long time and had to be done very carefully. I stood there the entire duration just to ensure they do it right. Although, the very reason they had to bring down the front grill was to access the low beam assembly and then found out that it was not in stock.
IAmGroot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 21:06   #2755
BHPian

Oh, I have got the existing high beam bulb replaced with "Blaupunkt Velocity Power 12v 110W H7 LED Lamp" while taking the delivery of the Safari after 3rd service is completed and it took just about 30 mins for the whole job. I had to just rotate the front right wheel to the left extreme and the left wheel to the right extreme so that the technician can access the socket for the high beam.

Total cost was 7000+ (6700 is the cost of the bulb plus some 300+ is fitment charges).

The light is very powerful and I need to be careful using it within city limits.

Pratim.
pratim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 21:23   #2756
BHPian

Attaching the packaging of the high beam bulb and and photo of the car with all front lights on. Apologies for the poor quality of the photo.

Pratim.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20240202_204142.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20240205_205908.jpg  

pratim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 22:36   #2757
BHPian

My car is at a Tata Motor service center currently for the 6 month service and the repairs that I posted few posts back. I was thinking it'd be good opportunity to get the high beam lights upgraded to what everyone has suggested above - H7110W BlauPunkt.

Surprisingly the SA told me that this job is not carried out at service center. He was not even aware of it and was suggesting me some after market outlet. When I insisted that it's a TaMo official accessory, he said then I should go to the dealer showroom.

Is that correct? For all the folks who posted the upgrade above - was it done at the dealer showroom?

Thanks!
Old 7th February 2024, 09:21   #2758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is that correct? For all the folks who posted the upgrade above - was it done at the dealer showroom?

Thanks!
That's right the headlamp upgrade will be done at the Sales showroom, from the accessories section. You can get the bulb adjusted at the service center, if you are not happy with the fitment, but has to be bought in the showroom and not service center.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 14:54   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
This is a genuine Tata Motors accessory. See the photo I posted above. It says so.

Then, I got it done at the service centre since the accessories section is located at the service centre in case of KHT, where I get my vehicle serviced.

Cheers
Pratim
pratim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 19:31   #2760
BHPian

A big hello to all the gurus here. I have so far enjoyed about 10 months/11k kms of trouble free ownership of my Safari Red Dark edition XZA+. As many of you would have noticed, I always advocate people to post good experiences with Tata ASCs. Because I firmly believe they are improving and will eventually make the mark.

But today I write here to seek advice. Today, while driving back from work, the display flashed a ‘Drive Control System Fault’ followed by the ‘CEL’ light a few seconds later. The car is driving smooth as always but all three terrain lights are ‘on’ on the selector knob. I am also unable to change drive modes Eco, City and sport. Transmission is working fine in Manual mode too.

I am hoping it would be a not so major issue and that the ASC would be able to handle it comfortably. Any insights into the issue are welcome. Service/ repair booked for Sunday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks