Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2021, 15:38   #136
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

After watching the reviews of Kushaq, I can say that Skoda cannot beat the koreans in size, fit and finish, features, or in network reliability. There are a couple of areas where Kushaq can shine : one being price point and other is build quality. Looking at the sales of Seltos, even after reveal of crash test ratings, shows that the former point is more important to buyers and will decide the fate of Kushaq in India. So, if Skoda sensibly prices, at least, the 1.0L manual and automatic variants, it could sell in decent numbers. Also, considering size and price point of the car, Kushaq has to pull customers from <4m cars, koreans >4m psuedo suvs, and even all new honda city because of their extreme value for money V-CVT.

NCAP ratings/build quality and pricing this cheaper than competitors will decide its fate. Fingers crossed for Skoda.
SidR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 16:22   #137
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kushaq 5 colours walkaround video
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 16:34   #138
Senior - BHPian

Most reviews during preview launch drive weren't happy with the 1.5 in terms of handling, pitch, drive. Has there been any review assessments in the current detailed drive. Have we observed any relative comparision or improvement from then and now.
Old 27th June 2021, 17:07   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Skoda Kushaq 5 colours walkaround video
All except red! red one in the video is from the March unveil (indoor shots). We do not have the proper real life video of the red till now.

Last edited by Latheesh : 27th June 2021 at 17:08.
Old 27th June 2021, 17:23   #140
BHPian

Autocar India has reported slightly better steering feedback and firm suspension of 1.0 TSI while 1.5 TSI has softer suspension, which indicated that 1.5 TSI is aimed at prospective Creta/Seltos buyers while 1.0 TSI will attract the enthusiasts. Also now the only driver-side glass is equipped with one touch and remote up/down, which is clearly a downgrade from decade-old Rapid/Vento/Polo. In my view, all four windows remote up/down is a way more practical and useful feature than a sunroof.
Old 27th June 2021, 18:57   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
I am curious as to why people go around claiming "solid build quality" and "European finesse" or "European build" to refer to the most unreliable (and unsolid, in a sense) cars in the Indian market? Is there any objective basis to claiming that made-in-India Volkswagen and Skoda cars are somehow superior in build quality to Hyundai, Kia, Maruti, Tata etc.? Or is it just anti-Indian, anti-Asian prejudice? Just from my experience, I have felt most Indian cars under Rs. 20 lakh that I've sat in or driven to feel more or less similar in how "solid" they feel, i.e. they feel solid enough, nothing fantastic, but nothing horrendous either. I am inclined to think it's a purely psychological thing, and if this very same car came with an MG or Ssangyong badge, the reviewers would use terms like "solid" and "well built" with less abandon.
*Long Post Alert*
In my opinion, build quality can be literally categorised into 3 departments.
1. Powertrain and auxiliary systems.
2. Outer shell and Chasis.
3. Interior/Exterior plastic quality, fit and finish like panel gaps etc.

Now each manufacturers have their strength and weakness. I guess the general perception of brands are like this:

1. TATA/MAHINDRA :
Category 1. : Usually good but for some niggles here and there, especially Tata, and they have also improved over the years. Mahindra have generally been a reliable brand in terms of powertrain.
Category 2 : Structural build quality is their strength IMHO. Recent NCAP ratings validates this.
Category 3 : Not the best usually, but has improved leaps and bounds over the years. Altroz and xuv300 are good examples of this improvement but even then competition are setting bars high.

2. Maruti/Hyundai

Category 1. : This is their strength. Reliability is the middle name of Maruti and Hyundai has been equally good.
Category 2 : Not the best. One can argue that, it's not that they're incapable of being good here but are just catering to market sentiments by keeping price in check by cutting cost here. Still the market priorities are slowly changing and I really hope they notice this.
Category 3 : Again, usually they are best in interior build but for some obvious cost cutting in plastic quality. But Sonet, Seltos, Verna, new i20 have set some very high standards here.

3. VAG/Ford/Honda
Category 1. : Honda/Ford are usually good here but atleast in case of VAG there were products that had issues (like the DSG) and usually are more expensive to maintain. Ford has made an effort to control their service cost, VAG has tried to come up with more reliable products.
Category 2 : Here, however, they do really well. The "classic door thuds" that journalist rate is roughly related to this category- structural integrity.
Category 3 : In terms of interior build and finish they usually have a simplistic approach unlike the Korean twins. But never the less, the quality is usually on par if not better.

The build quality usually refers to the last two categories, and also I feel that the VAGs are slowly closing the gap in first category.

Now , Kushaq :

Category 1. : 1.0 powertrain is tried and tested. In 1.5 L Dq200 makes a daring comeback. But Skoda swear on their life that they have improved it for the Indian conditions. We might have to wait and see. That said, even Hyundai/Kia DCTs have reported issues.
Category 2 : Unless NCAP does the test, we can all have our own theories about the modified MQB-AO IN platform. But going by Skoda's modus operandi in the past it will really be a heart break if Kushaq scores anything less than 4 stars.
Category 3 : Yes, in the EVO India review he spots a few places where the quality could have been better. But if we nitpick, I think, we can surely find some places in Venue/Seltos. But final verdict on this will be when Kushaq reaches a bigger audience.
Vin_Redline is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 19:03   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, please ignore all the 0 - 100 tests by others as almost all of them have been done on wet / damp roads. The early part of this week had continuous rains in the Mumbai area.
That's a valid point. But, I have seen atleast Autocar mention it as "not as per testing standards" when runs are done under wet conditions. They have not mentioned so for Kushaq.

Just had a look at the full data by Autocar

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_20210627185719__01.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-421182

The VBOX 0-100 timings are slower by a second compared to Skoda claim for 1.5 TSI (both MT & AT). It could be due to not fully dry roads. Another factor is the recommended fuel for newer TSI engines is 95 octane, not sure if Skoda claim is based on regular fuel.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 19:13   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Excellent review. But contrary to popular opinion - I'm not getting positive vibes about this Skoda from the review. Sure it looks to be an enthusiast favourite - and that's really evident from the engine and driving dynamics posts.

........... and that plastic for closing the boot - all seems a from a segment or two below.
About this part, I'm not sure if you've ever observed a Skoda car properly, in the boot. The rubberised-plastic dangle handle on the boot hatch has existed from the 2009 Skoda Fabia and has been the same even in the Rapid and even in the Laura. Also is in the Octavia. There's nothing about it which is specifically seeming from a segment lower, wouldn't even bother going lower than that.

Has never failed (i know since we've used it so much in both my Fabia and to date, in the Laura).

Last edited by Aditya : 28th June 2021 at 05:10. Reason: As requested
k_ajay is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 19:19   #144
BHPian

The quality of the seats is a lot to be desired.
They could have atleast provided some solid firm cushion for the seats. So many reviews mention about the fit and finish.
hareshjethwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 20:05   #145

When is the publishing of 1.5 DSG review from Team-BHP planned? A tentative date would be useful. Also, the salesperson from Skoda Udaipur couldn't confirm whether 1.5 DSG would have 6 airbags, so that can only be confirmed by tomorrow. If it has been skipped for the Monte Carlo version, it would be a big let down.
Old 27th June 2021, 21:49   #146
Senior - BHPian

I really hope Kushaq (and later Taigun) make the market treat 3 point seatbelts and headrests as table stakes for all passengers. This side of the Germans, it is nigh impossible to find the rear middle passenger treated to both these safety elements in India, for some unfathomable reason
Old 27th June 2021, 22:06   #147
BHPian

I am in the market to replace my Toyota Liva Petrol car (which is turning 10 next month - 92K on ODO) with a similarly reliable problem free upgrade. Never wanted to look outside Toyota products but as of now there are no options (Yaris is probably on its exit route).

So I have shortlisted the Skoda/VW twins, the Citroen C21, next gen Brezza and the MG Astor.

In the background of the impending launch of Skoda Kushaq, I started evaluating the product with respect to my requirements and budget and looks like it would be out of my shortlist due to the following reasons:
a)Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Ambition MT which is the comparable variant with the basic variant of Kushaq is priced at 9.99 lacs ex-showroom. Skoda Kushaq being a Crossover/"SUV" with many additional features like ESC, could command atleast a premium of atleast 50k. So, my logic says that basic variant of Skoda Kushaq will be priced close to 11 Lacs Ex-showroom and will be a stretch on my budget.
b) The mileage figures of 1.0 TSI is very dismal (based on overdrive reports) and add to it the anticipated heavy maintenance cost as it is a Direct Injection with Turbo engine.

Now my list gets pruned to next gen Brezza, MG Astor and Citroen C21 in that order as my preference is 1.5 Litre NA engine over Turbo engines.
Old 27th June 2021, 22:59   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I really hope Kushaq (and later Taigun) make the market treat 3 point seatbelts and headrests as table stakes for all passengers. This side of the Germans, it is nigh impossible to find the rear middle passenger treated to both these safety elements in India, for some unfathomable reason
In theory these are important and I am not going to question that but in reality the seats of Kushaq are so narrow that only 2 headrests will be usable anyway. The third person you can fit will at the most be a baby. Seatbelt is important, no one needs flying missiles in the cabin in case of a collision. However, for these things to be usable, car makers have to make seats wide enough to seat three.
Old 27th June 2021, 23:02   #149
Senior - BHPian

Great detailed review! I keep saying this, no one and absolutely no one can come close to covering the smaller details as our very own reviewers in Team Bhp! Thank you!

Secondly, I sense a bit of a negative tone here from many members. Some feel that the Kushaq should be priced 2-3 lakhs cheaper than the Creta and the Seltos. Some seem to call out the missing smaller features etc. And some one even went on to state that the Kushaq’s doors don’t close as well as the Polo, from the reviews!
I find these comments a bit needlessly negative, especially when most of us haven’t seen or felt the car as yet!
Here is a car that is supposedly as good as competition, has decent equipment, two good engines and on top of everything seems to be quite good on all fundamentals like build quality and driving dynamics. Sure the car looks visually smaller, and it is actually a tad smaller than the competition on all dimensions, but it also has the longest wheel base. So there are good bits and some bad bits as well, like any other car.

I had stated earlier that Skoda must price this car a bit more competitively to grab some eyeballs, and also because the car is a bit smaller and our market reacts to size and stance. I would think it would be great pricing by Skoda if they can find a sweet spot between the likes of the Sonet, Ecosport and the Creta, Seltos twins. Also, the 1.0 turbo petrol can be priced extremely competitively too. So while most of us agree that Skoda cannot and should not charge a premium over the Creta and the Seltos, a slightly lower starting price will go a long way in attracting new customers.

And I’m not a Skoda fan or anything like that, in fact I have 2 Hyundais at home, a 1st Gen Creta and an Elite i20. But I did own a Skoda Rapid earlier and I had my fair share of issues too, but nevertheless absolutely enjoyed the car.

All I want is good, credible competition to the Creta and the Seltos. Both the Korean cars are so identical in their attributes that there isn’t much difference between them, so there is a need for some alternative. I see the Kushaq and the Taigun to be more like the how the Polo has always been different from the typical Japanese and Korean hatchbacks, timeless in design, fun to drive, and fundamentally sorted in most aspects.
Skoda and VW are not going to take big time market share from the Koreans, but if they were to get to a 7000-8000 number combined, then it’s not bad at all.

And as customers we need some alternatives, so let’s be open to these cars and wait and watch a bit before we give out decisive statements.

Last edited by motorworks : 27th June 2021 at 23:07.
motorworks is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 23:49   #150
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking that the Kushaq with it's capabilities is not going to be a threat for the Creta or the Seltos but rather for the beleaguered Jeep Compass. Because if you look at it, compared to a two wheel drive Compass, the Kushaq offers all of the Compass strengths and some more especially in terms of rear seat space, powerful petrol engines and a more premium interior. At a much more value for money price.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks