Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2021, 12:43   #256
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Very impressed with the short reviews of the 1.0 that have come out lately. Looks like Skoda will be expecting 80%-90% of the volumes to come from the turbocharged offering.

While I do agree that the pricing is off by ~ a lakh, given that the 1.0 is available across trims and brings the much-needed peace of mind with the AT, Skoda has played it "clever" to offer a decent overall package for a wide range of budgets and requirements.

Can we crown the emperor yet? Well, not apparently, and not at least till the sibling makes his appearance
Old 28th June 2021, 12:44   #257
BHPian

I didn't expect the competitive pricing from Skoda as they indicated the premium pricing multiple times earlier but they have gone overboard on the 1L TSI variants. It is not only overpriced but also lacks many features that rivals offer for the same price. So it looks like the 1.0 TSI AT variants are dead on arrival. However, the 1.5 TSI pricing seems reasonable. Although the 1.5L TSI pricing is on par with the competition, it is justifiable for the given specs.

I think Skoda wants to sell fewer high variants and make more profits than sell many lower variants and make less profits. Certainly, they don't want Rapid rider to happen here.

Here's the on-road price in Bangalore.

Skoda Kushaq Review-skoda-kushaq-price.jpg

Last edited by swoosh : 28th June 2021 at 12:47.
swoosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 12:46   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
To be more clear, feeling solid and actually being solid are also not inter-related. The Kia Seltos was said to be solid by almost every reviewer (including here). All of us know where that story ended. Meanwhile, the Honda City is a 5 star rated car (ASEAN NCAP). Cannot say the same about the Rapid or any "tank like feeling" VAG offering in the segment.

As for Tata and its perceived lack of finesse, the company's 5 lakh rupees car is rated 5 star by GNCAP while fellow members are hoping that the 20L Kushaq somehow scores at least 4 stars. I will chose misaligned panels over such pretensions every time.
Well, made for India Honda city hasn't been tested yet, plus Tata decided not to send their flagship Safari & Harrier for testing. No car maker is a Saint. They all make compromises at one place or the other. In the end, its up to the customer to vote with their money.
giri1.8 is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 12:56   #259
BHPian

Suddenly, Thar top model diesel automatic looks value for money compared to Kushaq Ambition 1.0 automatic. Priced almost the same, both being practically 4 seaters.
SidR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 12:58   #260
BHPian

I thought they'd go with aggressive pricing with a 2L gap in the middle, gauge the market and launch a 1L monte carlo or onyx and/or an 1.5L active/ambition in the gap down the line. Looks like they've gone the other way and priced it to maximize profits. As it stands now, the 1L Style TC AT is priced like the Creta 1.5L IVT and a full lakh above the Seltos IVT. Apart from the long wait times, there isn't much going against the Creta/Seltos in comparison with this.
Old 28th June 2021, 12:58   #261
BHPian

A 5 star and very detailed review as usual.

Disappointing price points across variants except for the base one.

What could be the rationale not to give 6 airbags on the Top AT variants? Modern pricing models are not cost + so why wouldn't they understand that people will pay extra for 6 airbags (versus 2)? I have a feeling that within 6 months we will see the variant/features distribution matrix updated.
Old 28th June 2021, 12:59   #262
BHPian

IMHO, it is Venue/Sonet competitor at Creta/Seltos price.

Skoda should have cut the length, and fought head-on with Venue/Sonet or fill the car to the brim with features and fight with Creta/Seltos.

If these guys had priced Citroen Aircross, it would have been competitor for X5.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:01   #263
BHPian

I don't see that beautiful black color on the marketing material, are they saving that for a later date ? Skoda have pulled a rider on the Kushaq too by keeping the base variant 2-3 Lacs away from the mid variant which will make the jump kind of lame for most people. I'm just disappointed that we don't get the 1.0 AT model under 15 Lacs on road.

Looking forward to the Taigun now, I guess it will go the T roc - Karoq way, with the former offering 10% less of a car for 25% less of the money. Fingers crossed.
Old 28th June 2021, 13:01   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
Here's the on-road price in Bangalore.
So we pay 19.72 Lakh for 1.0L TSI AT and get 2 airbags?
A King without his crown I say!

Last edited by RaghuVis : 28th June 2021 at 13:01. Reason: Spelling
RaghuVis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:06   #265
BHPian

It feels like Skoda has done a Nexa here. Less Premium Product at Premium Pricing.
In addition to that the product is a notch smaller and is missing features w.r.t. competition.
Even if we consider the build and handling to be strong points, the ASS experience and higher cost of ownership can't be ignored.
Well Skoda still needs to learn VFM!!
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:07   #266
Team-BHP Support

After confirming that the AT does not get the 6 airbags and only gets 2 airbags this is now the one and only deal breaker. It's a massive miss to price a car at a premium and then miss out on a feature that is assumed fundamentally present in a top end variant.

So much so that we had to get Skoda to confirm if the brochure was an error. GTO or myself neither could believe this and GTO had to confirm if brochure had a typo!

Only reason for me now to not buy or recommend a Kushaq would be the AT missing 6 airbags. The 1.5L price premium was easily swallowed for the Skoda / Euro car attributes but not this.
Vid6639 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:08   #267
Senior - BHPian

Ouch. That pricing hurts. I was eyeing the 1.0 style AT as a potential replacement for my brio back home. But at these prices it will be tough. Will wait for discounts to kick in.

P.S : Just noticed the difference between OTR of Kolkata and Bangalore. Its a whopping 2.12L
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:15   #268
BHPian

I was cautiously optimistic until yesterday on the overall product given that the pricing was still to be announced. Indeed very premium pricing but not unexpected.

What has shocked me most is that (Only MT) against what I thought would be a given on the high end torque converters and DSG's. Oh what a let down. Imagine buying the "Top End" variant with lower safety features. Skoda and Mr. Hollis may have a rationale but wow this is so disappointing.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:15   #269
Senior - BHPian

All production version review videos were showing 3 point seat belt for the rear middle passenger but the brochure says lap belt only (in all variants)!

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th June 2021 at 13:17.
Latheesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:16   #270
Team-BHP Support

More than the premium pricing, the way they messed up the safety specifications across MT and AT variants are appalling, and Skoda definitely managed to beat Hyundai in this aspect. Missing airbags for automatic variants are a real joke!
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks