Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2021, 15:51   #316
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Just booked Sonet GTX plus diesel AT!

Just in case Skoda is reading this thread.
You may not be alone. After making the family wait for 6 months and getting an egg on the face now, Sonet is the front runner for me as well. I am trying to put a case for Honda City but wife wants a higher seating car. Whatever decision we may end up with, it's a disappointment with the way Kushaq turned out. The lack of 6 airbags in AT was the final nail in the coffin for Kushaq. If only Skoda was getting the message

Warm wishes for your upcoming Sonet. Which color did you go for and what is the waiting time?

Last edited by headbanger : 28th June 2021 at 15:53.
headbanger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:52   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

So I just prepared this chart of comparison between a Ecosport and Kushaq. I have tried to list even the smallest differences between both cars. Some of the parameters are from perception of Tbhp and other online reviews (example ride and handling balance). I came out quite disappointed with Kushaq. If it can't compete with a sub 4 meter C-SUV, it needs all the luck in the world wrestling with it's segment competitors.
I think your sheet needs a few updates and is showing the Ford in much better light than in reality.

I have an Ecosport and have driven many of them so this is from a fellow Ecosport owner.

1. The build quality of the Skoda will be far better than Ecosport. The Ecosport has poor plastics, that are not even fitted properly. Open up the plastics on pillars and dash and you will find really poorly made stuff. It will rattle within a year or 2 which has driven me nuts. Going by the review here as well as knowing the Ecosport inside out, I can assure after 2 years that even a cut cost Skoda will fare better than the Ford.

2. The Ford is equally bad in 3rd passenger and I would not give additional marks to Ford for 3rd passenger at the rear.

3. The Kushaq does have a reversing camera with static guidelines like the Ecosport.

4. Also ride and handling while the Ford is good, the setup was by no means comfortable. It was too stiff and even after 2 rounds of softening, it is still firm. The Ecosport has a shorter wheelbase and will nowhere be as composed with the larger Kushaq. Again if you read the review, the Kushaq will have more mature handling vs the Ecosport which was fun but by no means perfect.

5. Another huge negative against the Ecosport is performance. The 100BHP Diesel is very old school, doesn't like to be revved and the absolute biggest gripe I have is that it is a 5 speed unit with sort ratios. The Kushaq 1.0L if anything like the Rapid, is exact opposite. Supremely revv happy, brilliant mid range and an effortless cruiser with 6 gears.

Personally, if I didn't have so many cars already, I would sell my Corolla Altis and Ecosport and get a Kushaq 1.0L AT which replaces both into 1 car. My only gripe is that damn stupidity of Skoda to give only 2 airbags in the Kushaq AT!
Vid6639 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:53   #318
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I think TPMS, 6 airbags will be optional on auto variants.
Old 28th June 2021, 16:02   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
But the 2 airbags is just too much even if it is built like a Tank.
Two airbags in a superior shell may well be a better bet than 6 in a tin can.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:05   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think your sheet needs a few updates and is showing the Ford in much better light than in reality.

I have an Ecosport and have driven many of them so this is from a fellow Ecosport owner.
Quote:
1. The build quality of the Skoda will be far better than Ecosport. The Ecosport has poor plastics, that are not even fitted properly. Open up the plastics on pillars and dash and you will find really poorly made stuff. It will rattle within a year or 2 which has driven me nuts. Going by the review here as well as knowing the Ecosport inside out, I can assure after 2 years that even a cut cost Skoda will fare better than the Ford.
I am not sure about this. This is a pre owned car, which has completed 3 years already. TBH, there is still no rattle (touchwood), anywhere in the car, neither do I find my roof liner/sunroof compartment flexing with slight touch of my hand as seen in the EVO India review of Kushaq.

Quote:
2. The Ford is equally bad in 3rd passenger and I would not give additional marks to Ford for 3rd passenger at the rear.
By no means is the Ecosport a comfortable 5 seater, but from whatever pictures I saw in some journos reviews, where they seat 3 adults on the rear bench, it clearly is visible that the third person in very uncomfortable on the bench in Kushaq. Relatively, IMO, my mom (healthy build), sis and BIL (healthy build) seat much more comfortably on the rear bench in ecosport. Maybe as the Ecosport is wider than Kushaq, the interior space could be a bit better?
Quote:
3. The Kushaq does have a reversing camera with static guidelines like the Ecosport.
Ecosport gets the dynamic guidelines, with much better camera display.

Quote:
4. Also ride and handling while the Ford is good, the setup was by no means comfortable. It was too stiff and even after 2 rounds of softening, it is still firm. The Ecosport has a shorter wheelbase and will nowhere be as composed with the larger Kushaq. Again if you read the review, the Kushaq will have more mature handling vs the Ecosport which was fun but by no means perfect.
I agree ride quality over broken roads is pathetic in Ecosport. But stated earlier, I was talking only about the fun to drive factor. Me and dad are prepared to forego the ride quality, if the car offers the best high speed manners and steering is a delight.

Quote:
5. Another huge negative against the Ecosport is performance. The 100BHP Diesel is very old school, doesn't like to be revved and the absolute biggest gripe I have is that it is a 5 speed unit with sort ratios. The Kushaq 1.0L if anything like the Rapid, is exact opposite. Supremely revv happy, brilliant mid range and an effortless cruiser with 6 gears.
I agree, I might be wrong here. I have taken the figures from ACI, while personally I am happy with the motor, I have no practical experience of the Kushaq. It's just theoretical comparison.

Also I didn't meant to say the Ecosport to be a better car. It's just the overall parameters we have compared for both cars, and IMO, I simply don't find paying premium of over 3L for the Kushaq Style AT.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th June 2021 at 16:24. Reason: fixing the quote tags. Thanks.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:06   #321
Senior - BHPian

Pricing is fine - the low entry point is really to shut the industry rags, and it works!
Except for the 6 air-bags missing, its a fine package. I hope they soon realise their mistake and relaunch with 6 airbags for the Style. The initial disappointment will be done soon after.
I am OK without TPMS - not a deal breaker. Rest is beautiful (including a bit of hard plastics, its a sub-20 lakhs car guys).
Equus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:08   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I was actually eyeing Kushaq as a second car in the family. Current stead is Ecosport S TDCI (July 2018 model, bought preowned in June 2020). Me and dad would both require cars for our commutes (which are a mix of highway and city), by end of 2022 and both prefer fun to drive cars.

So I just prepared this chart of comparison between a Ecosport and Kushaq. I have tried to list even the smallest differences between both cars. Some of the parameters are from perception of Tbhp and other online reviews (example ride and handling balance). I came out quite disappointed with Kushaq. If it can't compete with a sub 4 meter C-SUV, it needs all the luck in the world wrestling with it's segment competitors.

PS- In no way am I suggesting Ecosport to be a better car overall. It's also an apples to oranges comparison (sub 4 meter C-SUV vs 4.2m C-SUV, TSI vs TDCI etc). But it's just a comparison from my perspective (and I am sure there will be many who will be looking at Kushaq as a second car, and will compare it with their existing car) :(

Edit- Don't know why the font became a bit brushed off once I uploaded the snap. Sorry for the same.
Thank you for sharing the comparison. Have a question on the rear seat comparison? Is Kushaq rear seat smaller than even Ecosport? Have you looked at the dimensions of both cars? If so, pls share.
Old 28th June 2021, 16:11   #323
BHPian

Is there a team-bhp review on City 5th Gen, I couldn't locate one? After the Kushaq price reveal, looking for other options.
Old 28th June 2021, 16:11   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Do wonder which world folks cribbing about the pricing are living in! Skoda will not undercut Hyundai on price. And the Kushaq is a car in the same segment - even if marginally narrower and shorter. The pricing, which is in line with the Creta and Seltos has come out exactly where I expected it to be. The only thing which shocked me is the absence of 6 air bags in the Style AT and Style DSG variants - surely AT buyers would also want the entire gamut of safety features - so it does seem to be a miss. If I were Skoda, I would have priced the Style DSG at ₹18 l but provided the 6 air bags.
Summed up PERFECTLY! While I agree Skoda could have gone for an aggressive pricing but again it wouldn't have made much of a difference to the janta which prefer cars with diwali lights to a safer (I bet on it) and dynamically superior alternative. Everybody starts to crib but the truth is even after the crash tests we see loads of Seltos and Creta ownership reports even here (no offence to owners).
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:13   #325
BHPian

I personally think the Kushaq pricing is spot on, and being a traditionalist without an eye for gizmos and extra points for solid build and dynamics, i would buy this any day over the Koreans. I mean no offence to owners.

The 2 air bags on the auto is a goof-up which i expect Skoda to sort out quickly.

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 28th June 2021 at 16:15.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:19   #326
Senior - BHPian

It is clear that Skoda has been very optimistic with the pricing and left lot of prospective customer disappointed. However, leaving aside the price, after checking the team bhp review and few video reviews on Youtube, there is NO objective reason to really like the Kushaq over the competition.

For a 20Lakh car, not having 6 airbags, TPMS and rear disc brakes when safety could have been the only USP of this car looks like a self-goal.
On top of it, the analog MID looks at least a decade old and similar to my Vento which is such a turn off in today's world (Honestly, if there is one thing I could change in the Vento, it would be the analog speedo and MID. I just hate it and you can't avoid it as it is always in your face ). Electric seats is a deal breaker for me considering the segment/price point. Also, the touch and slide AC controls are an absolute no-no for me.

Other than these deal breakers, there are numerous compromises made -
No underbody protection on a SUV???
No panaromic sunroof
No electronic parking brake
No paddle shifters
Smallish boot
Less space for 5th passenger.
Extremely dull looking door pads
No one touch for the 4 power windows
Lot of cheap plastics all around
No fancy features like 360 camera or air purifier etc.

As I said above, apart from the people who are fans of 'European build and finesse', this is not going to find any takers. Apart from the handling (subjective), the only USP could have safety but we don't have the NCAP crash test results and on top of it, SKoda has removed side/curtain airbags from the topmost variant.

If Skoda wanted to produce an under-specced and overpriced car, it's a mystery why they spend 8000 cr on the India 2.0 project, created a cheaper India-specific platform and achieved 95% localization. May be the goal of India 2.0 project was only one thing - higher margins and profit. But, I feel this strategy is going to backfire big time. For now, Koreans will continue to rule.

Last edited by adimicra : 28th June 2021 at 16:24.
adimicra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:20   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
You may not be alone. After making the family wait for 6 months and getting an egg on the face now, Sonet is the front runner for me as well. I am trying to put a case for Honda City but wife wants a higher seating car. Whatever decision we may end up with, it's a disappointment with the way Kushaq turned out. The lack of 6 airbags in AT was the final nail in the coffin for Kushaq. If only Skoda was getting the message

Warm wishes for your upcoming Sonet. Which color did you go for and what is the waiting time?
Thank you for the good wishes.

Yes, Sonet looks so much better proposition now. My son was eagerly waiting for Skoda Kushaq but is now disappointed, both from price and lack of 6 airbags in Style AT variant perspectives. Anyway, he always had his eyes on Sonet and after today's rude shock, he immediately called up Kia and booked a black GTX plus diesel AT. He has been quoted 4 month-waiting period.

Happy new car hunting!
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:20   #328
BHPian

First of all, I never expected Skoda to price Kushaq low, which is fair. A set of buyers may not agree with the pricing strategy of Skoda for Kushaq, while another set won't mind paying this price. But, the missing safety and feel-good features, will affect both these groups.

The price for a Skoda product, is ok. But for this price, if the features offered are bare minimum, then there is a problem. Of late, all new skoda launches are feature-rich and as usual they are sturdy and have never skimped on safety elements. It has put Skoda above the Korean / Japanese players. Here it looks like the marketing research is done by their competitors.

I still feel Skoda isn't clear about their product-positioning. It's neither here nor there segment. Either they should have built a product, with elements, at par or above the Seltos / Creta tribe, then they could have even hiked the price by 50 / 100 K, it was par for the course. Here, this product in terms of features / interior is unlike a recent launched skoda, and trying to be in mass segment with premium pricing, is unfathomable. Though the torque and power might be comparable to the Korean siblings, competing with 3-pot 1.0 engine, along with a noticeably smaller foot-print, isn't really an intelligent move.

Had I been Zac Hollis, either I won't enter mass segment or if I decide to be a player in this zone, I will give all possible features the competitors offer, apart from the renowned Skoda engine and transmission. Then I would have had the audacity to say 'The King has arrived'. Because Skoda has to bear in mind the so-called 'friendly' service centres.

I do drive an 1.8 TSI Octy and love the driving dynamics and I was in the hunt to buy Kushaq for my wife. The size was perfect for me as it was replacing our second car, but even before the price was disclosed, I was a bit apprehensive about missing features. Now, I feel that a good product has been given the stick.

Again, Zac, if possible sack your market research company and the team who gave you this idea of pricing for this product.

Will I buy another Skoda product? Of course I will, if you give me compelling reasons to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
Is there a team-bhp review on City 5th Gen, I couldn't locate one? After the Kushaq price reveal, looking for other options.
You can check Trackday's review on his 5th gen V CVT. His review is awesome and is very handy for everyday user.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2021 at 07:37. Reason: Back to back posts.
K.grg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:26   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
This is the closest
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4852640 (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ty-review.html (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review)
dipen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:27   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Summed up PERFECTLY! While I agree Skoda could have gone for an aggressive pricing but again it wouldn't have made much of a difference to the janta which prefer cars with diwali lights to a safer (I bet on it) and dynamically superior alternative. Everybody starts to crib but the truth is even after the crash tests we see loads of Seltos and Creta ownership reports even here (no offence to owners).
All of the above theory will hold truth if Skoda doesn't roll out discount packages or upgrades the missing features within next year or so for Kushaq.

There is a considerable forum here which sees Skoda undercutting Hyundai or Kia as sacrilegious from a brand perspective. Truth be told, it's only the safety or the lack of it that is missing from Hyundai/Kia ensemble. For all its worth, I don't see a Kia Seltos lesser aspirational than Kushaq. If only Seltos had the safety rating which it truly deserves, all this talk of Kushaq belittling Seltos on brand power would have turned otherwise.

I can understand the likes of higher priced niche vehicle like Octavia to score brand brownie points but not in the sub 20L segment.
headbanger is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks