Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2021, 14:53   #301

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

I just cancelled my pre-booking of Style AT 1.0 and asked for a refund on the advanced amount. Pricing was fine with me, but totally disappointed with 2 airbags in the Style AT variant :( I have no idea which car to buy now! Probably Honda City makes sense?
pocketaces is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 14:53   #302
BHPian

Offering 2 airbags is a MAJOR miss on part of Skoda when their USP is build quality and safety over competition. By this logic if Taigun comes with all 6 airbags, digital instrumentation and a couple of more features in GT line, and they price it with a premium over its Skoda sibling, it'll reach close to 19.99 lacs which is the same price where a CBU T-roc was launched an year back. What is the use of all the localisation if the difference in the final pricing is so little, and more than that at almost the same length and engines, the made in India tax benefit itself should create major difference in both these cars.

Skoda probably didn't want to loose their margins in the top model Auto and at the same time didn't want to breach the Koreans' top model pricing of 17.6 lacs so they ended up with the most stupid decision of removing the airbags in Top model automatics.
prateekchanana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 14:56   #303
BHPian

Suddenly the T-Roc looks like such good value. If only this new batch was also priced at 19.99 lakh ex-showroom.

Well, these days they are not pricing their products individually but the prices are such that they fit the group or they are to make the other product look good

For example, they priced octavia at such a premium that suddenly this Slavia/Virtus will fit into the old octavia territory. (already positioned the car above rapid) They had models/drivetrains that they could have brought in for the octavia that could have decreased the base price significantly, but then cars under "INDIA 2.0" are more important at the moment.
Similarly increased the price of this new batch of T-Roc just so that the 1.5 DSG of these new cross siblings look good value!

On a side note, we should thank the koreans, their products are the reason we have so many variants of Kushaq including the top MT.
shishir333 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:01   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post

[*]In comparison, in terms of looks; Seltos looks can give a run to 50 lakh cars a run for the money. Kushaq does not stand a chance. [/list]
Totally subjective, looks varies from person to person. For me Seltos is simply overdone and at night those DRLs looks like serial lights in the wedding. For me among all SUVs till 50 lakhs Compass looks the best. But then some might hate it totally. So for a person like me who likes the minimalist European design Kushaq is much better looking than Seltos.
sunikkat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:04   #305
BHPian

Okay, lets face the facts now.

Skoda/VW as a brand positioned above Hyundai/Kia in India and pricing above them is always expected. Many of us expected Skoda to price the Kushaq from 9.99 lacs to 15.99 lacs and a big disappointment making us to hate Skoda and Kushaq. To be frank, I too expected 1.5 TSI MT to be priced within 17 lacs on road bangalore.

If we stop and think about it the pricing are not that bad compared to Creta/Seltos. Most of us are ok to pay bit more for Skoda than Hyundai or Kia. Yes, I agree there is no comparison on feature list on Kushaq with Korean twins. But features were never an USP for Skoda cars except Superb and still managed to sell dated cars in quite numbers. Rapid saw 3 generations of Hyundai Verna and we know which one we choose for a drive.

However, reality is different. A Skoda/VW car will never ever outsell any Hyundai/Kia cars atleast in India. The truth is Skoda/VW knows this too. They never aimed for Hyundai/Kia volumes with Kushaq, they will be aiming atleast 2.5k to 3k sales per month which is a blockbuster for the brand. Kushaq is competing in a hot segment and if they're able to capture 20 to 25% of that segment market then Kushaq is a big hit for them.

Negatives: Overall product is good but it has few rough edges as mentioned by our mods. Budget quality roof liners, rear bench shoulder room, Diesel engine, under body protection( though available as accessory), basic rear camera. Omitting 6 airbags on Style AT variants is a stupidity at its peak. I really don't care about PANORAMIC Sunroof, 360 degrees cameras, electronic parking brake, electric seats, remote start, air purifiers, 32inches touch screen which has game consoles built in etc. But majority of this segment buyers expected these features. (Hyundai/Kia corrupted many of us with features)

On paper Kushaq doesn't make sense over Creta and Seltos. On the bright side, we have new player in this segment and worthy one.

Once XUV7OO launched we may feel Kushaq is VFM (Purely my thoughts)
Karthik.thm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:15   #306
Senior - BHPian

I was actually eyeing Kushaq as a second car in the family. Current stead is Ecosport S TDCI (July 2018 model, bought preowned in June 2020). Me and dad would both require cars for our commutes (which are a mix of highway and city), by end of 2022 and both prefer fun to drive cars.

So I just prepared this chart of comparison between a Ecosport and Kushaq. I have tried to list even the smallest differences between both cars. Some of the parameters are from perception of Tbhp and other online reviews (example ride and handling balance). I came out quite disappointed with Kushaq. If it can't compete with a sub 4 meter C-SUV, it needs all the luck in the world wrestling with it's segment competitors.

PS- In no way am I suggesting Ecosport to be a better car overall. It's also an apples to oranges comparison (sub 4 meter C-SUV vs 4.2m C-SUV, TSI vs TDCI etc). But it's just a comparison from my perspective (and I am sure there will be many who will be looking at Kushaq as a second car, and will compare it with their existing car) :(

Edit- Don't know why the font became a bit brushed off once I uploaded the snap. Sorry for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-es-vs-kushaq.jpg  

Last edited by 07CR : 28th June 2021 at 15:17.
07CR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:17   #307
BHPian

I’m not sure what their target segment is now because Skoda seems to have positioned themselves out of every niche. Or at least, for just about every audience, there seems to be a better alternative unless you are specifically obsessed with a European brand with these dimensions i.e. unless you specifically want a Skoda/Volkswagen of this particular size/form factor and engine combo, it’s hard to see why anyone wouldn’t pick from a number of alternatives - Creta/Seltos for their turbo petrol engine and overall interior, Harrier/Hector for the turbo diesel manual and size and presence and plusher interiors, or even the TRoc for the same 1.5 engine but far superior interiors and CBU at a relatively small premium. Not to mention the incredible value that the Honda City now seems to offer in comparison, more than ever (I refer to a sedan because the Kushaq seems closer to a hatchback on steroids than an MUV let alone SUV). The only people I can see for whom this is the only option are those who want a Creta/Seltos but refuse to buy one due to braking/safety concerns or aesthetics.

And tangentially, because six months ago this is one of the cars we briefly considered waiting for (along with the Safari, Alcazar and new XUV), I have to say I’m still delighted we went with the 2021 Hector Plus auto top end at 18.8 before the last price hike. Y’know one is always wondering if one will fall prey to buyer’s remorse - not one bit here. No matter how many people seem to critique the 1.5 turbo petrol engine, it works just great for us and never seems underpowered at all, albeit with two of us on board. Cruises so calmly at 1600-2000 rpm and with the nice interiors, phenomenal sound system and bells and whistles as well as the excellent service schemes, the whole package overall is incredible value for money. Terribly glad we moved on it when we did.

Would I buy this today? I’d have seriously considered the 1.0 AT (because I wouldntve been willing to take a chance on the 1.5s DQ200) but I think, given it’s form factor and the pricing, I’d probably rather buy the Rapid Auto and use the difference on a few holidays. Or maybe even a nice new Triumph Trident to round off the garage ��

Last edited by RT13 : 28th June 2021 at 15:19.
RT13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:17   #308
BHPian

The only VFM model is the 1.5 MT. Everything else is overpriced. the 1.0 Style is so ridiculously priced inspite of that engine supposedly being 100% local
lina is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:18   #309
BHPian

I was considering the Skoda's Kushaq because of the quality brought by them in the 10 to 12 L market (Rapid). I am from Coimbatore, TN and it is known for many car enthusiasts. Last time when I drove from Bangalore to Coimbatore (in April 2021), I spotted ~ 50+ Rapids from the time I entered the city to my home and I was actually amazed. That was the time I was seriously considering an upgrade with a budget of ~15 L. Requirements were simple, Should be either a Honda, VW or Skoda. Should have a reliable auto transmission, seating for 4 adult and a kid, boot space of ~ 400 L, good service network in Bangalore. Though I had Kushak in my list, I went ahead and booked The New Honda City. (I like sedans more than the SUV's). Looking at the pricing, space (rear and boot), I dont think I would have went and booked a Kushak. The pricing can now even push people looking for a family automatic car towards City. SKODA missed a golden opportunity.

Last edited by vasi_raju : 28th June 2021 at 15:20. Reason: Missed content
vasi_raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:21   #310
BHPian

Equipment wise, the base spec Kushaq is at par with the base + 1 Kia Seltos. Price wise also, they are nearly the same. Why is it then, that it is being referred to as overpriced? Am I missing something?

Skoda Kushaq Review-d4a5c0eec21a418dbb03eb204cc7c470.png

Skoda Kushaq Review-16b5e664cc0f4d95bba86e29722dfab1.png

Last edited by Aditya : 28th June 2021 at 20:55. Reason: As requested
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:27   #311
BHPian

With the pricing out for the Skoda Kushaq, the comparison with the Hyundai Creta, the leader of this segment is obvious. Though I have not driven the Skoda Kushaq my instincts tell me that it would have a more taught feeling with a slightly superior ride and handling, as well as build quality over the Creta. These views may change with my driving the car as well as the myriad of car testers and reviewers who are doing intense and detailed tests of the two this very moment!
My key points of observation based on analyzing the features that the top end turbocharged petrols endowed with speed DSG auto boxes are as below
Final Comments: Though the two top of the line turbocharged petrol models with 7 speed DSG auto boxes are similarly priced and bring in similar value as well
1. The Creta brings in more value with safety features like 6 airbags and all 4 wheel disc brakes.
2. Though the rear passenger space is greater in the Kushaq, the Creta makes up for it with a bigger boot.
3. Comfort features wise both are well-matched with features such as ventilated front seats, the top class entertainment system with 10 inch touchscreens, etc.
4. Size wise the Kushaq is a fist shorter and less wide than the Creta
5. The Creta has that brilliant panoramic sunroof that the Kushaq has given a miss
6. The Kushaq engines are a tad superior to the ones in the Creta by a margin of around 5% in power and also bring in technology like Active Cylinder Technology which switches off 2 of the 4 cylinders when the load is low or when you are cruising so that you can save on precious fuel!
Overall I don't see too much of a value difference between the two and buyers should take a call on the lack of which features are deal-breakers for them, test both the cars and make an informed judgment
Viewers can make changes to the value that I have attributed to the various features and come to their own conclusions.

Name:  Creta VS Kushaq.PNG
Views: 5173
Size:  29.9 KB

Last edited by niranjanprabhu : 28th June 2021 at 15:30.
niranjanprabhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:31   #312
Senior - BHPian

King says Choose What Really Matters

Skoda Kushaq Review-20210628_152649.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:43   #313
BHPian

Seriously only 2 Airbags on the top end model Automatic version ? If thats true then Skoda needs to get an award for this foolishness. This is totally unacceptable !

Last edited by Mr.Perera : 28th June 2021 at 15:44.
Mr.Perera is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:46   #314
Senior - BHPian

I had pre-booked Kushaq Active variant in Carbon steel color. Initial plan was to check the price and decide on variant and color.

Update
Variant - Same Active
Color - Changed to Tornado red

Final decision after the test drive next week.
Latheesh is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 15:47   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Why should Skoda under cut Creta, I don't understand. Are we saying Skoda should undercut the competition even if they have to sell for a loss. The era of cheaper cars are over all over the world at least in the short future.
1) Because offering VFM cars in a price conscious segment is the best way to grab sales.
2) Because the competition (read Korean twins), have firmly established themselves as aspirational products for many Indians.
3) Because the competition is loaded to the brim with many features, whereas the Kushaq can't even compare to some of the sub 4 meter cars in terms of equipment.
4) Because the Kushaq is a strict 4 seater, while competition is a way more comfortable 5 seater.
5) Because the competition has a very reassuring after sales service history and reputation.
6) Because the competition has a history of reliable cars and components (relatively Skoda's history is well known).
7) Because the competition also offers diesel (even automatics), to lure potential Kushaq customers
8) Because the Kushaq isn't your typical European quality Skoda car, corners have been cut and these are clearly visible for the India specific model.
9) Because the engines (1.5 TSI) offer similar levels of performance compared to competition (going by the figures of various auto journos).

Skoda is in for a rude shock, if they think their badge alone should help them command a price premium over the Korean twins.
07CR is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks