Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2023, 05:21   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Took delivery of my Kushaq 1.0 Ambition AT. Previous cars being 2010 Ford Figo and 2013 Ford Ecosport Tdci, the requirement was to move from MT to AT. Preference was to have TC gearbox and stay away from DSG or the CVT. Hence booked the Sonet Diesel HTX AT waited for 3 months and then with no sight of delivery, shifted to Kushaq.
Kushaq was never on my list considering all the earlier batch issues, then started to see more of them on the road and the look started to grow on me. Went in for test drive in 1st week of January and decided to wait for the 2023 model which was alloted in 2 week's. The delivery got delayed due to the car lease and some road work close to home.

Initials impressions:
- Engine refinement is good at city speeds. Gear shifts are reasonably smooth.
- Creep function is super aggressive and this was not the case with the test drive cars.
- not a fan of START-STOP function, default should have been set to Off.
- Ride quality at lower speed is better than the Fords.
- Steering is light at low speed, not sure if the steering feedback and weight would match the Fords at higher speed.
Congrats on your new ride and wishing you many happy miles in it!
Since you were an Ecosport user, want to get your impressions on the rear seat comfort especially the width compared to the Ecosport. Is it similar or wider?
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:26   #3107
BHPian

Hi,
I am one more ECOSPORT owner now migrating to a KUSHAQ.

I am inquisitive about the mileage we are getting in 1.0L TSI AT in city and highway. Any hints from the current users.

I get conflicting answers saying the 1.5L TSI AT is more efficient both in city and highway due to the DSG. Is this true ?
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:38   #3108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPope View Post

I get conflicting answers saying the 1.5L TSI AT is more efficient both in city and highway due to the DSG. Is this true ?
Be it city or highway the 1.5 will give you better FE ONLY if you use it more sedately than a 1.0 driven in the same stretch. The engine never lets you do that and I doubt that the 1.5AT will ever be more efficient if driven back to back by the same driver on the stretch in the same traffic condition. On the highway, the DSG has a seventh cog which means constant cruising + ACT will end up in very good FE, but again when driven at the same speed with a 1.0 in parallel. But driving the 1.5 in a sedate manner is a challenge I have not been able to overcome so far.

Over the last 8k kms I did, I had never really used more than half the throttle. Still the acceleration was impressive. Off late, I am addicted to switching to manual mode and accelerating in 3/4th gear and what a pull and feeling The engine note with the turbo in full spool at 4k RPM is beyond anything else. I do this a few minutes before reaching home so that the turbo gets enough time to cool down and one must be careful not to cut throttle abruptly in this scenario since that will lead to backpressure in the intake which will damage the turbo compressor in the longrun. Maybe a blow off valve would be useful here, not sure if the engine already has one.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 21:42   #3109
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
- Steering is light at low speed, not sure if the steering feedback and weight would match the Fords at higher speed.
You will never get the same 'feel' with the steering as the 2010 Figo. Even your ecosport wouldn't have matched that.
This is a bad reference point for expectation. No car that you buy today in India will match the HPS of your old 2010 Figo.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 10:04   #3110

(Up/Down)grade from Polo 1.5 TDI highline to Skoda Kushaq 1.0 MT Ambition

8 years & 100k kms later it was time to change the car as my polo started to spend more time in service centers. And VW service in Kolkata is so pathetic every time I sent my car to the service center I became more determined for a switch.

Although the service center let me down, I fell in love how the Polo drives. It has got an unparallel handling. So while searching for a new car I was searching for one with similar fun driving characteristics within a budget of 15 lakhs. Sedans ( tried slavia, city) were too long for my parking, creta felt more suitable for chauffeur driven. Hector felt too big as I was upgrading from a hatchback. Tried new Breeza as well. Build quality is flimsy. Did not give me confidence. Same goes for Venue. To be honest I was ready to settle for a Polo TSI, and was cursing VW for discontinuing it.
Then tested the Taigun. It was nice, familiar cabin, handling. But that big chromes in the front was a turn off. Also I am never a fan of digital instrument cluster. Something about those analog speedometer I just love. They also did not offer me a good price for my old car. Kushaq looked better, got my analog instrument cluster, and they gave me almost 40k more for my old car. So booked the Kushaq in September. After two months wait, got my car end of November.

Now some of the features I miss from my old polo:

1. Window control from the car key. Absolutely fabulous feature. A 15 lakh car must have this. I don't like going back to the car, keying it in to close the window.

2. OneTouch window control for all windows.

3. That wonderful flat bottom steering wheel.
The kushaq's steering wheel is nice, but ergonomics of the Polo steering wheel was better.

4. The touch ac control is not good, i still have to take my eye off even after 4 months driving. Polo's physical buttons were better.

5. 1.0 TSI seems underpowered at low rev until the turbo kicks off especially when I compare it with my 1.5l TDI.

6. The automatic engine shut down in traffic seemed too aggressive. When in bumper to bumper traffic, you cannot take your feet from clutch. Even if I take foot off for two seconds the engine shuts down. It's annoying.

7. Quality of materials and plastic seem inferior to polo.

8. Instrument cluster for my 8 year old polo was more posh and cleaner than this 2022 Kushaq. The MID could have used some more pixels.

8. Instrument cluster doesn't light up unless you switch on the headlight. This seemed to be a bug with my car, need to get it checked during my first service.

Now some good things:

1. Handling is great. Although polo felt better, probably because of its low centre of gravity.

2. Pocket Hercules of an engine. The tiny 3 cylinder 1 liter packs so much punch! I could do good speeds on Durgapur expressway without touching red lines.

3. Very confident handling on high speed, the steering weighs up nicely. The super build quality and extra weight keeps the car planted.

4. The engine is so versatile. It gives you super mileage if you don't push it, but when you do push the engine, it surprises you.

5. Leg space was a problem with polo, upgrading to the Kushaq solved it.

On a summary Kushaq is a nice rounded car with killer looks and I am happy with the purchase. But it shows me how good and complete the Polo was. Undoubtedly polo was the best hatchback of our generation.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th March 2023 at 18:22. Reason: Rule #11
nilanjanpaik is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 16:36   #3111

Hello everyone,
It's my first post on TeamBHP and I am looking for advice regarding my next car. I own a 2013 Skoda Rapid 1.6 Diesel with MT and after exchanging the same the best quotes I could get for Brezza ZXI+ MT is 12.52 lakhs on road (including extended warranty upto 5 years/1 lakh kms and 11,200 worth of accessories) and for Skoda Kushaq 1.0 TSI Ambition MT is 12.7 lakhs on road (including 10,400 worth of accessories).

Things in favour of Kushaq:
1. 5 star NCAP safety raiting.
2. Solid build quality.
3. Premium looks(both exterior and interior)
4. Powerful and fun to drive engine
5. Premium touchscreen infotainment and UI
6. Nice speakers
Cons:
1. Only 2 airbags with Ambient model
2. Engine vibrations
3. Gear knob on manual version feels jerky and noisy while shifting as compared to both my Skoda Rapid and Brezza

Things in favour of Brezza:
1. 6 air bags
2. 360° camera
3. Better camera quality
4. Better road view and commanding driving position.
5. Cabin feels roomier than Kushaq mainly due to its more vertical windows.
6. Very refined 1.5 ltr engine and also feels punchier than Kushaq's 1.0 turbo at lower rpms and lower speeds.
7. Other features that Brezza has over Kushaq but don't mean much to me personally are: sunroof, HUD, 'hybrid system'

Cons:
1. Poor interiors and plastic quality.
2. Unknown NCAP safety rating.
3. Okay-ish Infotainment system UI and speaker quality.

Apart from the points mentioned above another important factor is the resale value, maintenance cost and ease of repair(in terms of spare parts and repair shop availability) where Maruti Suzuki is the obvious winner.

Overall Brezza looks like a more financially sound choice here but Kushaq appeals more to the heart. As far as the requirements are considered, the car will be driven mostly in the NCR region for short 10km commutes, 50-60km once or twice a week outings within NCR and twice monthly highway trips of 350-400kms. I am an active driver and enjoy weaving through traffic during commutes within NCR and keep the car below 120kmph on expressways and around 80-100 on other highways.

Looking forward to and open to suggestions and corrections from fellow BHPians.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th March 2023 at 06:49. Reason: Corrected the model year
Nazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 19:55   #3112
BHPian

Recently Noticed that the virtual cockpit in some of the newer Slavias/Kushaqs were having a horizontal tachometer in the simplified view with digital speed readout. I have a July 2022 manufactured Kushaq Style 1.5 DSG with virtual cockpit which does not have the same and I could not find any option to activate this. Is this something that has been added recently and can owners activate this from the dealer? It seems like a useful addition to the simplified view.

Attaching an image of the same found in the latest Skoda Kushaq Brochure.Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_2023030119450253_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
Abhinav_2502 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 00:07   #3113

Quote:
Took delivery of my Kushaq 1.0 Ambition AT. Previous cars being 2010 Ford Figo and 2013 Ford Ecosport Tdci, the requirement was to move from MT to AT. Preference was to have TC gearbox and stay away from DSG or the CVT. Hence booked the Sonet Diesel HTX AT waited for 3 months and then with no sight of delivery, shifted to Kushaq.
Kushaq was never on my list considering all the earlier batch issues, then started to see more of them on the road and the look started to grow on me. Went in for test drive in 1st week of January and decided to wait for the 2023 model which was alloted in 2 week's. The delivery got delayed due to the car lease and some road work close to home.

Initials impressions:
- Engine refinement is good at city speeds. Gear shifts are reasonably smooth.
- Creep function is super aggressive and this was not the case with the test drive cars.
- not a fan of START-STOP function, default should have been set to Off.
- Ride quality at lower speed is better than the Fords.
Congratulations

Does your vehicle has a 2023 manufacturing? If so, can you confirm if your vehicle is compatible with E20 fuel?
How much discount did you get on your Kushaq Ambition 1.0 MT?

Thanks in advance
Old 6th March 2023, 17:58   #3114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepster88 View Post
[*]Powerful AC is must, as I live in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, temperature easily reaching to 45 in summer. It's scorching in afternoon already!
I would suggest you to not consider Skoda/VW cars as the AC is definitely not a chiller atleast in 1.0L engine models. Even after multiple updates from Skoda/VW, the performance is sub par than what you would get in a Hyundai/Honda.
Old 7th March 2023, 19:42   #3115
BHPian

Was out of station, hence the delay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Congrats on your new ride and wishing you many happy miles in it!
Since you were an Ecosport user, want to get your impressions on the rear seat comfort especially the width compared to the Ecosport. Is it similar or wider?
I have never been seated in the rear seat of my Ecosport. My family feels that the width is almost the same, its strictly a 2.5 seater. The rear leg space is more due to the larger wheelbase. The under thigh support is slightly less, could be a feeling because you sit slightly higher on the Ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
You will never get the same 'feel' with the steering as the 2010 Figo. Even your ecosport wouldn't have matched that.
This is a bad reference point for expectation. No car that you buy today in India will match the HPS of your old 2010 Figo.
True, the Figo was no match for the Ecosport with the HPS. Between the Ecosport and Kushaq, it seems that Ecosport would be winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazy View Post
Congratulations

Does your vehicle has a 2023 manufacturing? If so, can you confirm if your vehicle is compatible with E20 fuel?

Thanks in advance
The manual talks about E10, but mentions that a label within the Fuel lid would have more details, haven't yet checked it out.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 11:07   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazy View Post
Congratulations

Thanks in advance
The label at the fuel lid mentions E5,E10,RON95, minimum RON91.

I procured mine through a corporate lease, hence some discounts were restricted.
When negotiated in Jan for 2023 model, there was HDFC card offer + Maintenance package + EW +Corporate (15k) + Exchange bonus.
sansvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 13:04   #3117

Hi All,

Need some information about some accessory fitment in Skoda Kushaq 1.0 Style - Brilliant Silver.

1. The lower chrome garnish available for the doors can be fitted on the metal door just above the black cladding or is it needed to be put only on the black cladding of the doors ? Please provide any pictures on how does it look on Silver Kushaq.

2. Also, ASC informed me that the dual tone horn fitment is not compatible with Style variant due to some reason I am not able to recollect now but is available only for Ambition. Is this true ?
If so, then how do we upgrade the horn in Style variants if we want to ?
sbhowmik_5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 17:14   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhowmik_5 View Post
Hi All,

Need some information about some accessory fitment in Skoda Kushaq 1.0 Style - Brilliant Silver.

2. Also, ASC informed me that the dual tone horn fitment is not compatible with Style variant due to some reason I am not able to recollect now but is available only for Ambition. Is this true ?
If so, then how do we upgrade the horn in Style variants if we want to ?
Don’t know about 1.0 style but I replaced my cars horn to dual tone on my 1.5 mt style during my first service.
Old 13th March 2023, 05:04   #3119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjeevan View Post
Don’t know about 1.0 style but I replaced my cars horn to dual tone on my 1.5 mt style during my first service.
Thanks for that info. Now, I remember the reason he provided, so the person from ASC informed me that Style variants have anti-theft alarm system and the dual tone horn available from Skoda will disable this feature if installed. Hence its compatible for now with Ambition or below variant. For Kushaq Style variant a new dual tone will be available in near future.

Not sure but if you have installed in 1.5 Style then it should be good for 1.0 Style as well as both have the anti theft alarm feature.
sbhowmik_5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 07:12   #3120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Any mention of figo brings a smile. 12 years of close relationship and can't forget for ever.
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed