Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2024, 11:33   #2116
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I will run 2 more tanks, one with HP's power95 and another with BP's normal petrol. Then it will be time for some decisions to be made.
It takes at least 2 tanks of the same RON fuel to be able to feel a perceptible difference. Consider deferring your decision to after 4 tanks, 2 of each RON.

On the post of the high fuel consumption - While your commute is slow and in congested conditions, if it is also through a lot of dust, do check the condition of the air filter.

Last edited by Newtown : 13th March 2024 at 11:40.
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 20:57   #2117
BHPian

Been a while. My Taigun TSI automatic (non sunroof, ventilated seats)with ac set at 21.5 has done just about 7.8K since March 2022. Couple of long drives Del- Himachal. Avg economy with a sedate foot and cruise mode thrown in, driving at 90 gave 15 per litre. In Delhi city traffic drive hard, its 7.8, drive aaraam se it's 10.8-11.2.

But what gets my goat is the one touch window not working on the driver's side. Am an ex Polo TDI owner and can't believe this window issue. Just got 2nd service done and seems ok now. But front left seat doesn't have that feature, is what the SA told me. Is that correct folks? Further, the SA asked for the screenshot of my Iphone, since i had complained about the random non / suddenly stop charging issue for the last 2 years. Appears that Iphone 12 and above are not supported for wireless charging in the Taigun. Anyone else knows this ?

Also if someone would advise what more additions can be done which don't void the warranty.
darthvader5000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 00:26   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
I will run 2 more tanks, one with HP's power95 and another with BP's normal petrol. Then it will be time for some decisions to be made.
Time for a small update as mentioned

I just got back from a ~750km round trip. Here are the mileage figures.

Onward Journey Mileage (All readings from the Cluster)

Total Distance Travelled: 412 kms
Kodathi/Sarjapur Road to Manipal Hospital Mysore: 17 kmpl (Included a 10 km detour from the expressway due to a faulty air pressure alarm) Moderate use of cruise control
Manipal Hospital Mysore to Hotel Coorg Gate (Makkuttam Ghat descent starting point): 15.5 kmpl
Makuttam Ghat section to Home: 15 kmpl
Home to Ancestral Home and Back: 14.7 kmpl

Average kmpl on MID: 14.8

Return Journey Mileage (All readings from the Cluster)

Total Distance Travelled: 330 kms
Home to Makkuttam Base: 16.5 kmpl ( Moderate use of cruise control)
Makkuttam Base to Hotel Coorg Gate (Makkuttam Ghat Descent starting point): 13 kmpl
Hotel Coorg Gate to Poojari Fish Land Mysore: 14.2 kmpl
Poojari Fish Land to Kodathi/Sarjapur Road: 15.2 kmpl ( covered mys blr express way using cruise control set at 100kmph and occasional bouts of 120s to overtake)

Average kmpl on MID: 15.1

This is the only time I have driven conscious of the Mileage or the speed. We normally follow the herd and don't track the details extensively. The drop in mileage seems to be only a "when driven in city" experience from the look of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
On the post of the high fuel consumption - While your commute is slow and in congested conditions, if it is also through a lot of dust, do check the condition of the air filter.
This could be true for my daily drives in the city. I drive through no roads but craters and dusty roads, and the notorious Sarjapur/Marathahalli traffic. I had got it cleaned 3 months ago, but my engine bay is already dirty. I think the carters and unscientific speed breakers are also causing the issues with suspension mounts.

Few other things came out during the drive and the wheel balancing/alignment that I got done.

1. The driver side window one side up/down has gone kaput again
2. The winding motors for all the windows will need to be checked. They are all noisier than the noisy.
3. The suspension mounts need to be looked into / replaced as per the FNG mechanic.
4. Brakepads are wearing out faster. Likely has life for another 3k kms. (21.5k kms as of today)
5. The LED DRLs seem to be yellowing. Will wait until July to see if it really is the case.

Still confused if I should think of an upgrade or lateral shift next year.

Last edited by drive.helios : 18th March 2024 at 00:27. Reason: Grammar
drive.helios is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 10:07   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
It takes at least 2 tanks of the same RON fuel to be able to feel a perceptible difference... do check the condition of the air filter.
That's an excellent suggestion. I will check it, though it has been only a month of commute in that route. And I filled my tank with BPCL standard petrol and guess what happened? The average mileage on the screen shot up by a full 1kmpl. Same route, same traffic, usual driving style. Of course, I will wait to see the tank full to tank full numbers but nothing could be more damning as a proof for the bad quality of XP95/IOCL in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
what gets my goat is the one touch window not working on the driver's side... Anyone else knows this ?

Also if someone would advise what more additions can be done which don't void the warranty.
I used to have this issue which was resolved sometime back. But the problem has returned. In the past month itself, I had 2 instances where when I pressed the down button, the window didn't move at all. I had to restart my vehicle and drive for a few meters before the one touch worked again.

Also, I have noticed that if I stopped the window roll down mid-way, there seems to be a threshold beneath which the one-touch UP function will malfunction. I need to roll the window fully down and manually raise it up fully.

Could you please specify the additions you want to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.helios View Post
Time for a small update as mentioned
I just got back from a ~750km round trip. Here are the mileage figures.
... The drop in mileage seems to be only a "when driven in city" experience from the look of it.
Was your car fully loaded for the trip? My average mileage numbers, when calculated in an Excel table using the tank full method, are generally lower than what I see on the MID by a good margin. I use the MID numbers only for an overall sense of the trend.

Last edited by asmr : 18th March 2024 at 10:08.
Old 18th March 2024, 10:17   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Was your car fully loaded for the trip? My average mileage numbers, when calculated in an Excel table using the tank full method, are generally lower than what I see on the MID by a good margin. I use the MID numbers only for an overall sense of the trend.
Not fully loaded. 2 of us and just 2 laptops bags and a small suitcase one way. Add 10-20kg more for return lug. I have not yet used an excel sheet to calculate the mileage. But I'm certain that with the remaining fuel I could do one more 350km trip.
Old 20th March 2024, 18:19   #2121
BHPian

Carwale seems to have details on a new Taigun variant:

Volkswagen Taigun Review-volkswagentaigunrightfrontthreequarter3.jpeg

Quote:
Ahead of its launch, which will take place tomorrow, 21 March, the details of the Volkswagen Taigun GT Plus Sport variant have been leaked. The model will be available across two engine and two transmission options.

On the outside, the new Taigun GT Plus Sport will get darkened LED headlamps, Carbon Steel Grey roof, red GT branding on the grille, fender, and rear profile, dark chrome door handles, and red brake callipers on the front axle. Also up for offer will be a blacked-out finish for various elements such as the grille, diffuser, trapezoidal wing, new 17-inch alloy wheels, and fender badges.

Inside, the model will come equipped with black leatherette upholstery with red stitching, aluminium pedals, black headliner, glossy black dashboard, Sport steering wheel with red stitching, and an embroidered GT logo on the front seat backrest. Further, it receives blacked-out roof lamp housing, sun visors, and grab handles.

Under the hood, the Taigun in the GT Plus Sport form will be available with the same 1.0-litre and 1.5-litre TSI turbo-petrol engines paired with six-speed manual, six-speed torque converter automatic, and seven-speed DSG units. The 1.0-litre trim will generate 114bhp and 178Nm, while the 1.5-litre trim will develop 148bhp and 250Nm.
Torque_Curve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 12:14   #2122
BHPian

14000 km update (692 days into ownership)

Previous updates:
1) 1st day update: Click here (Volkswagen Taigun Review)

2) 2100 km update- Click here (Volkswagen Taigun Review)

3) 7000 km update- Click here (Volkswagen Taigun Review)

4) 11000 km update (Getting car coded by CodeMyVag) - Click here (Volkswagen Taigun coding | Unlocked hidden features)

Latest Update:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_7952.jpg

Being a car that is mostly driven on weekends, it is still 1000 km ahead of my daily (IGNIS )

Mostly last few months have been uneventful, Just a few pointer:

a) Fuel Economy has been consistent at about 10-12 in city, 16-18 on the expressway.

b) The interior creeks for the first 2-3 bumps but then it is silent. I have mentioned this before as well. It is like, the plastic parts expand and need a bump or two to settle down (?).

c) Calcutta is a land of unmarked random bumpers, few weeks back, out on a midnight drive, I was driving at 70 ish kmph and BOOM, 8-10 inch high unmarked bumper. Spotted it too late, the car most definitely got some air time. It was a pretty hard one. Luckily no visible damage to the tyres or any visible damage to the under body. Got the tyre inspected the next morning, got a green light here.

d) Door rubber makes squeeky noises. This is a known issue and VW had applied some sort of tape to fix it but it is back again, will be addressed in the next SC visit.

e) The driver side power window switch console creeks and the window, when open makes rattling sound. I suspect this was caused when they fixed the power window motor issue 6-7 months back.

f) I replaced the wipers to frameless wipers. They look better but i suspect they cause a lot of wind noise at speeds north of 140. Not like it matters in day to day conditions anyway. (more on this here (Volkswagen Taigun Review))

g) The paint has a lot of swirl marks, need to get the car detailed soon!

h) DSG has been working alright till now (:

Signing off with a picture i took last night.
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_2560.jpg
omranga98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 11:04   #2123

My Taigun GT manual’s clutch pedal got stuck halfway and wouldn’t return to its normal position. Gears weren’t engaging as well. It was on a joy drive at night, with kids, this ordeal unveiled. Luckily after sometime, we were able to pull back the clutch to its original position and got back home safe. Upon reaching, the clutch pedal went in once again.

Took it to the SVC the next day, they said they want to keep the car for about a week and then record a video as in when the issue happens and then report it to VW and plan the next course of action. Since I was away from my hometown, I have now taken the car and planning to give it to SVC near my place for warranty claims. It’s surprising, they don’t have a clue about this issue yet. I have heard quite a handful of cases in my Taigun owners WhatsApp group about the same issue as well as here on TeamBHP, where the dealers have changed, Clutch Master cylinder, slave cylinder and even the flywheel for someone.

I picked the manual over the DSG to have a peace of mind. But at the moment, no gearbox from VW 2.0 cars is foolproof.
Petronius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 20:06   #2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The DQ250 is a wet clutch unit, and has a much higher torque handling limit (400NM).
And in percentage terms, it is capable of handling 60% more torque than the Dry Clutch DQ200.
This is why it is typically used in VW's larger 2.0TSI/1.8TSi engines.

I can think of couple of reasons for using the DQ200:

1. The peak Torque output of 1.5TSI Evo Engine is 250NM.
This matches well with the DQ200's peak torque handling rating.
When we try to match 250NM Torque with the DQ250's rated capacity, it is grossly lower than what the DQ250 can handle.
From an engineer's point of view, it simply does not make sense to skip the DQ200, and use the DQ250.

2. Cost. I am guessing that the DQ250 would be substantially more expensive.

Correct me if I'm wrong? Isn't DQ200's torque handling capacity 200 nm? Thought the number reflects the max torque it can handle
i e
DQ200 can take upto 200NM
DQ250 can take upto 250NM
DQ371 can take upto 371NM

looks like I'm missing something here.
Old 16th April 2024, 15:06   #2125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
My Taigun GT manual’s clutch pedal got stuck halfway and wouldn’t return to its normal position. Gears weren’t engaging as well.
The very same thing happened to my friend who purchased a Skoda 1.5 Manual. Their SVC determined the problem to be the clutch plate wearing off and quoted about 98,000 for a full replacement. Being a wear-and-tear part, it is not covered under warranty. He does accept that he's heavy-footed and the SVC says that frequent incorrect gear changes can do such damage.

My Taigun or those of two friends who own a Taigun and a Kushaq - all automatics - have not faced any such issues. There was a lot of apprehension around these DSG 200 gearboxes when they were launched - despite both Skoda and VW assuring us that they have been fixed. But I haven't seen complaints in the Skoda/Taigun or Slavia/Virtus AT variants (both DSG and Torque-Converter models).
the_90s_car_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 15:36   #2126
BHPian

Great Article! City fuel economy figure is quite impressive for a turbo petrol in the chaotic Kolkata traffic. I reckon a swift 1.2L petrol wouldn't have returned more than 12/14 kmpl under same conditions in city. Taigun is a great car with that superb 1.0L tsi and fab onroad dynamics only marred down by patchy fit and finish issues which is shame for an automaker like VW. Hope VW sorts out all these small but irritating issues at the earliest.
Old 16th April 2024, 16:42   #2127

I genuinely feel Taigun is a brilliant car. But still feel both VW and Skoda are lacking in understanding the Indian market.

Here are the few points I've noticed
  • Pricing - Though it is TSI engine it still is 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engine. Considering its size and claiming it as 95% built in India, it should have been priced much competitively. The size of the car is also smaller when compared to the competitors.
  • Fit and Finish - It lacks that German fit and finish.
  • Interiors can be much better. They can offer much plush cabin at this price point. Atleast in top variants.
  • Features - While all the competitors when launching a car try to bring in first in class features to out smart the others both VW and Skoda are only trying to match the features list what's already there in the market. So just with in a matter of months with some other car launch it feels outdated.
  • Lack of engine options - Both 1.0 and 1.5 are Turbo engines and can't expect higher fuel efficiency (especially within the city traffic). Maybe they should consider having 1.5 diesel which can be used in slavia, Virtus, Kushaq, Taigun and new sub 4mtr car. Or may be CNG options. (As we already know they are in plans to bring back diesel with superb )
  • Service centre - We still get to read horrible stories of service centres. Hope they make it more customer friendly

Both build quality and driving dynamics are always topnotch and it continues to be.
I beleive these are the points that are worth considering.
While all the other SUV's and crossovers are doing great in terms of numbers both VW and Skoda fell short in the game because of the above points (My opinion)

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th April 2024 at 17:06. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Manoj Chander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 17:30   #2128

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_90s_car_guy View Post
The very same thing happened to my friend who purchased a Skoda 1.5 Manual. Their SVC determined the problem to be the clutch plate wearing off and quoted about 98,000 for a full replacement. Being a wear-and-tear part, it is not covered under warranty.
Sad to know your friend’s ordeal. I guess the SVC folks just replace parts on a trial and error basis. In our Taigun owner’s WhatsApp group, few members reported the same issue. For some the SVC folks have changed slave cylinder and for some both slave and master cylinder and for some they changed the flywheel as well. And worse part is the issue resurfaced for couple of people. Read a similar post from a Slavia 1.5 MT owner here at team-bhp. So I guess the SVC don’t have a clue on this issue yet. I’m just hoping I’m not stranded on the road someday.
Old 18th April 2024, 17:50   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.helios View Post
I'm certain that with the remaining fuel I could do one more 350km trip.
Happy to report that after making some adjustments to my driving style, I'm seeing considerable changes in the mileage. What used to be 8-9kmpl is now 10-11 kmpl. Still using HP Power95. The last highway run of about 1200 kms gave me 16kmpl one way including driving through the ghat roads and highly populated Kerala roads and the return trip yielded 16.6 kmpl. Express way runs are now much better with approx 18kmpl coming out. When my significant other drives, the mileage on Mid is a lot better. She's even more light footed and brakes better than I do. I brake a tad bit early and slowly and prolong the braking. I need to make this habit go away.

I've just hit 23k kms with this run and my 2nd anniversary service is due in the next 2 months. I have noticed a few things that I need to fix. I get the wheels realigned and balanced every 5k kms and the last one, the mechanic told me that the suspension bushes may need a replacement. I'm surprised at the short life of the same. The right side DRL has started yellowing, I'm going to push for a warranty replacement for both the headlights. The hard grabs on the rear left side came off the socket for the second time, going to ask for a replacement for the same as well or fix it properly. All the window winding motors are way too noisy and I will push for it to be looked at and replaced it needed. The one touch up down has started acting up again. I had reported a noise from the front left side which the SC brushed off last time saying it's from the dashcam wiring. It is not. It needs to be looked as well. I'll also need to replace the brake pads. I'm looking at a considerable bill even after having the SVP plan. Not very happy about the quality and build even though the ride and handling is still heart warming.

Has anyone noticed how the audio volume changes when connected via Bluetooth and via Android auto for Samsung phones? AA significantly reduces the audio output and has been increasing the volume by 2 points more.
Old 18th April 2024, 20:39   #2130

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Team-BHP experts,

I am in the market for a 20-25 lakhs range car and looking for a good driving performance machine but not able to decide between Kushaq 1.5 DSG vs Taigun GT though both are from same platform. Appreciate insights from this forum.

About usage, I will be driving around 60-70 kms per day along infamous ORR and whitefield for my work, I usually go early morning one way and try to take as much as less peak traffic on the way back, I know the mileage pinch.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th April 2024 at 10:41. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
Aradhya30 is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks