Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2023, 00:17   #2011
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiswas27 View Post
Now this part is not supposed to fail so early, so the hunt for its cause ensued.
Finally they concluded that the part shorted due to water ingress from the plastic tray which is positioned just below the windshield and houses the wind screen washer nozzles.This part is constructed in two parts and are joined in the middle as can be seen in the attached picture. When its raining or using the windscreen washer or even washing the vehicle the water that flows off the windscreen collects in the tray before draining. the joint of the parts which is in the middle had developed a leak and some water was trickling down and falling directly over the servo motor which is situated exactly below the joint.

The solution was application of butyl tape to seal the leak.

The ASC acknowledged that this is the first time they have encountered such an issue.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
I too experienced such issue, water entered on my ABS control module connector and ASC accused me for driving in flood and even didn't acknowledged the warranty initially, later after intervention by VW corporate team and quite lot of noise and even doing an RCA myself along with service folks I was able to prove to them on water leaking through these plastic drain parts directly to the abs module connector even in a light rain or exterior water wash.

Something is really wrong with these drains, even in light rain I was able to see quite lot of water nearby battery tray, ECU , fuse box and ABS modules.

As you can see this image, all these water was accumulated in a test where we poured just few cups of water over the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-20221212_093035.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20221224190017_gallery.jpg  

Adam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 01:06   #2012

My first post in the forum. Been reading endlessly, pages after pages on the forum and tons of videos to understand what car I want to buy and what parameters to consider. This has been going on since 6-8 months roughly. It’s been just me alone, researching, buying the car for myself. Still, a noob, still don’t understand a lot about cars and accept lot of knowledge might be superficial.

I’ve decided to get the VW Taigun TSI 1.0L AT Topline. I did make a booking at Bangalore Motors but still looking for better offers. Unfortunately, I am not able to find the color I want in the passing by version which has more offers since dealers want to clear stocks, hence choosing the newer expensive (by 30K) and with lesser discounts.

Reasons (I like to think) to get a car:
1. Roughly. 50-50 miles on highway city. Looking so much forward to tour and do great trips.
2. Was frustrated with mobility in the city, with ride hailing services expensive and auto being too bad on the back and tiring. I’ve done a lot of bus rides as well. Led me really tired and having feeling zero flexibility
3. I come from a mindset groomed by upbringing where spending feels hard.
4. Deciding on a car of this budget (~20L OTR) was very tough, especially making this financial decision alone

Needs:
1. Safety was first priority, considering my dreams of doing lot of highway miles
2. Decent bootspace
3. Middle passenger headrest
4. Good seat ergonomics, thigh support
5. Was looking for a big vehicle for my ego satisfaction I think, Harrier, love the design, but just too expensive and no petrol, also with EV coming in, it’s just too expensive.
6. Good ride and handling
7. Low NVH, learnt this acronym and this really connects to me, as I don’t like noisy cabin or noises in general
8. Great design was really important, IMO Taigun is one of really well exterior styled vehicles for the body type and size of the car. I loved Kushaq and loved it’s front grill and mean face, but it felt like an eyesore which seemed will become unlikeable over time. Taigun’s front looked boring to me earlier, probably because of smaller form factor, but it grew on me, and I understood why, The whole body is really well sculpted and has a timeliness design. Anyone looking for a great long term classic this is the one.
9. Small but a sunroof for the airy cabin feeling
10. All sorts of cameras, parking sensors (not getting 360 or lane assist on Taigun)
11. I thought being able to see the bonnet helps in driving, but it didn’t make sense in the Elevate, but makes a difference on the scorpio.

Questions for everyone:

1. I am having doubts of whether I should opt for 1.5 DSG, I did not take the TD because it’s expensive and reading the forum about expecting issues on DSG in India. I also didn’t consider that I really want that much power, in the TD 1.0 felt alright. I am sure I will like 1.5 DSG more, but price plus the DSG gearbox issues scare me. Any suggestions?
2. Should I go for ceramic coating (not considering PPF) or not? If I follow the sacred instruction of right way of washing the car and doing wax/sealant sprays at home myself, can this help me preserve the newness for long?
3. Also was considering doing a ceramic coating DIY at home
4. What VW accessories are good to get? How are the mats? seat attachments? Car cover? (what I really liked on the website is the Beetle miniature cars)
5. Please recommend a pressure washer please + leaf blower please
6. Seen reviews of dashcams, not able to makeup my mind, I want to cover front, rear, may be even sides, with good quality and features. Please recommend.
7. Should I take SVP and Extended warranty?: I am getting a 4 year car lease, where I get tax exemption monthly for maintenance (consider if things don’t work I might leave the org in between as well)
8. Please recommend a set of accessories to get immediately after getting the car, I don’t want to over spend but kind of close on most of the things

Hoping to keep sharing my journey with my first car on this forum.
theoldcamper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 18:40   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldcamper View Post
My first post in the forum. Been reading endlessly, pages after pages on the forum and tons of videos to understand what car I want to buy and what parameters to consider. This has been going on since 6-8 months roughly. It’s been just me alone, researching, buying the car for myself. Still, a noob, still don’t understand a lot about cars and accept lot of knowledge might be superficial.
Hi Theoldcamper,

I tried to find this out, but I dont think you mentioned it.
  • Is this going to be your first car?
  • Do you know driving?
  • Where do you stay in Bangalore?
  • What cars did you consider before finalizing on the Taigun Topline?
  • Is it necessary to spend 20L OTR on your car purchase?
Do let us know.

P:S: I stay in Bangalore and I own a Taigun GT+ DSG.

Cheers.
Old 3rd November 2023, 19:34   #2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
Hi Theoldcamper,

I tried to find this out, but I dont think you mentioned it.
  • Is this going to be your first car?
  • Do you know driving?
  • Where do you stay in Bangalore?
  • What cars did you consider before finalizing on the Taigun Topline?
  • Is it necessary to spend 20L OTR on your car purchase?
Do let us know.

P:S: I stay in Bangalore and I own a Taigun GT+ DSG.

Cheers.
Yes my first car. My dad has a manual hatchback, on which I learnt driving.

I am proficient in driving, never have done highways yet. In Bangalore, I’ve driven only once for 3-4 hours using a rental car.

Started from Maruti fronx 1.0L TC, loved the drive, first time I drove automatic, it was so effortless compared to manual. The TC was expensive 16-17L OTR. I skipped a heartbeat. Found everything alright. Was super new to car hunt experience compared to now. This was earlier this year.

On the same day test drove Tiago and Punch AMT top models. Loved the nifty feeling of tiago, so easy to manoeuvre it in city traffic and have good understanding of all sides. There was too much and engine and wind noise creeping into cabin. Awful. Cabin felt alright. AMT head nod make me just say no.

Altroz I walked around felt just alright.

Punch’s AMT felt too significant during gearshift, felt like it was struggling to change gears. Overall cabin felt nice, loved the while treatment and huge space feeling inside.

Since, my impression was made by Fronx driving experience I was not clear whether to go for anything in the hatchbacks or micro SUVs. Mainly due to poor Automatic transmission feedback. AMT was a no no.

Didn’t even go look for hyundai hatchbacks because of safety reasons.

I loved harrier and harrier wasn’t in petrol, I dreamt for many months looking for petrol harrier on youtube and google searches. I also loved the design of Jeep compass.

Honestly, I was avoiding car purchase or extending it as much as I can.

Then many months went by. Then I’ve been watching some news of Harrier facelifts that made me go back to searching for cars. As I found no petrol, also came a realisation that Harrier AT is going to be very expensive and what I want is in 32L OTR range.

Practicality sinked in, I started looking at all cars in the 15-20L segment since i figured either get a 7-9L OTR car or go all the way to 20L, because being in mid something or the other felt missing.

My philosophy being, always ready to pay extra if the extra is worth it even if that means going over budget a little.

Seeing the market and the world, everything is going to be expensive going forward as it has been, for cars as well. Hence I didn’t want to force the issue of budgeting too hard.

So recently within a month, I found Honda elevate as a good contender, once I sat in the vehicle, it doesn’t wow, the front exterior is great, side is a bummer and read is alright. The part which made me instantly say no were poorly designed seats, there is poor thigh support on driver and read seats as well. Another dislike was NVH levels and noisy engine. Great suspension though, the model I was looking for came down to 20L otr. And it did not make sense to spent this much for what the issues were.

I was avoiding VW/Kushaq because of what I hear from everyone that it is not fuel efficient, expensive maintenance and poor ASS reviews. Also for some reason VW never attracted me in las 8-10 months of search. Kushaq I loved, but avoided going yo showroom because of same reason.

But after my high hopes going down the drain for elevate, considering it had great ASS and low maintenance tag, I started looking out.

That’s when Grand Vitara,/HYryder, VW and Skoda came into picture.

Love the GV exteriors, looks big. Also love how KIA seltos looks. Took TD of GV felt just alright, it didn’t wow me, it was the strong hybrid model. Went past a big pothole as SA insisted I go fast over it. The entire car jumped in air it felt. didn’t give me good confidence. But generally its nice to drive it. No major feedback, interiors were just alright not a fan. Small boot also was a downer.

Next on same day went for walk around of Skoda and VW. Loved the experience of VW showroom and the SA, the guy was very enthusiastic, he eventually made me make my mind by giving me the best TD experience.

Both Skoda and Kushaq felt similar except power delivery. My initial love for Kushaq’s front mean grill went away as I felt it will be eyesore, as it became already for me. Taigun’s clean looks kept growing over me.
Taigun did feel stiff but I’ll take it over less stable highway ride.

Is it necessary to spend 20L OTR. Hard question, safety wise what I am looking to do which is more highways, definitely yes. Considering the entire safety package, paired with the performance. I know I am an enthusiast at heart, just never got my own car for years to do so.

Price wise it doesn’t bode well to be honest, I am sure I tried to convince my mind, but It’s not breaking my bank. I see it as an opportunity to make more money. As any big purchase for salaried person will eat some savings. I am in early 30s. And stay in South Bengaluru.
Old 3rd November 2023, 21:05   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Is it necessary to spend 20L OTR. Hard question, safety wise what I am looking to do which is more highways, definitely yes. Considering the entire safety package, paired with the performance. I know I am an enthusiast at heart, just never got my own car for years to do so.
Now that is a more comprehensive answer. So you have driven elsewhere, just not in Bangalore.

You want a safe car, automatic, reasonably good performance characteristics, good NVH, decent fuel economy and reliable ASS. Sadly you wont get it all

Taigun/Kushaq are the only mid size SUVs which have 5 stars in GNCAP. Other cars (Elevate, New Seltos) could be 5 star rated, but we don't know that yet.

Performance & fuel economy are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Any performance driven turbo petrol engine (VW/Skoda/Creta/Seltos/Astor) is going to be thirsty, unless you coast all the time. If you want fuel economy, you will have to get the naturally aspirated engines (Creta/Seltos/Astor/Elevate) and drive with a light foot. Or you can go all out and get a mild/strong hybrid (GV/Hyryder).

NVH levels across the segment are comparable, but I heard the Koreans/Japanese (Creta/Seltos/Elevate) do a better job of it than the European/Chinese (Taigun/Kushaq/Astor).

Reliable ASS: As long as you are staying in a tier 1 city, servicing any of the above brands/cars should not be an issue. If you dont like service at one, you can switch to a different one. Some will be 20% more expensive, some will be 20% cheaper. Some will be far away, some will be close by. Some will try to rip you off, some wont I would suggest not to make this a criteria, if you stick to tier 1 cities. If not, then its a completely different discussion.

Let us know, what is really important to you. By your previous post, it looks to be sorted performance/drivability. Are you willing to give up the other aspects for this? or do you want a balance?

Cheers.

Last edited by Tanu3000 : 3rd November 2023 at 21:15.
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 00:19   #2016

From what I understand most aspects other than safety and driveability also gets covered in Taigun. Found good mileage as well depending on how one drives. Since, Ill also enjoy time to time, I am okay with low FE time to time.

I am okay for hit or miss ASS, something as you said can be worked out by changing service centre.

Can’t have all, probably for the right reasons. Constraints usually allow for some things to be better than others. Which imo is a win.
Old 4th November 2023, 08:07   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
From what I understand most aspects other than safety and driveability also gets covered in Taigun. Found good mileage as well depending on how one drives. Since, Ill also enjoy time to time, I am okay with low FE time to time.
You seem to have your heart set on the Taigun Lets talk Taigun then. I had a previous post comparing the engine/gearbox of the Topline and the GT Plus here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5251651 (Volkswagen Taigun Review)

This was my observation more than a year back, before I took delivery of the GT+. I have now driven it for 12K kms.

I believe there must be a 3-4 lakh difference between the OTR prices of the Topline and the GT+ variant. I believe the feature list difference between both of them is much narrower now (With the addition of ventilated seats/electric adjusted seats etc). But this price difference is more than justified.

The 1.5TSI/DSG is a brilliant combo and makes the Taigun a very potent vehicle. The 150 HP figure is not that important, as you will never travel at 215 kmph to make use of it. The important bit is the 250 NM that is available between 1700 RPM and 3500 RPM. It makes the car amazingly quick/fun to drive even within city limits. The higher price is well justified for someone who enjoys a spirited drive. If you can afford it, you will never regret buying a more expensive/powerful car.

That being said, I did realize that the GT+ seats are more supportive compared to the Topline variant. They have better under thigh support, especially for the driver. Strange but true

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I have been a VW owner since 2014 in Bangalore. I bought my Polo 1.2 MPI in 2014 and sold it in 2022, replacing it with the Taigun GT+.

Cheers.
Tanu3000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 14:20   #2018

I think price difference is a lot. It does seem it’s worth the difference.

In your opinion, for someone who will cover 40-50,000km in let’s say 2 years time. Would you say the mileage on the 1.5DSG will actually be cheaper than the 1.0AT, considering the price difference?

For me it’s tempting to get the DSG but reliability raises concerns, do you think the 7 year warranty shall do the trick? Another point is total cost of ownership. That becomes quite steep, also add the accessories, cleaning, care etc.

Honestly it’s confusing, both gearbox failure concern and breaking the budget if I save more money on fuel and some more with 1.0L. Happy to then rev hard than sedate.

Been reading through your posts, happy to catch up sometime. I also stay in JP Nagar.

I started going through DSG posts and rethinking just to be sure, also don’t want to do a TD of DSG, unless I feel ready financially. It makes sense to think through this one. Please look at my last reply to your reply.

What do you think?

Last edited by theoldcamper : 4th November 2023 at 14:38. Reason: Added missed pointers
Old 4th November 2023, 14:37   #2019

+
Been reading through your posts, happy to catch up sometime. I also stay in JP Nagar.

I started going through DSG posts and rethinking just to be sure, also don’t want to do a TD of DSG, unless I feel ready financially. It makes sense to think through this one. Please look at my last reply to your reply.
Old 4th November 2023, 16:15   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
What do you think?
40K - 50K kms in 2 years is a lot. Wouldnt you be better off with a diesel in that case? But yes, we barely have any diesel cars left and those that are, have worrying DPF issues. Concerning the Taigun, do note that the 1.5TSI is More fuel efficient than the 1.0TSI. The 1.5 TSI has ACT (Active Cylinder Technology) and along with the auto start stop feature it can be a frugal engine.

I suggest you read my previous post, which is an ode to the Taigun GT+. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5599820 (Volkswagen Taigun Review).

Its pretty comprehensive and should give you a good take on ALL aspects of the Taigun GT+.

Quote:
+
Definitely. Do drop me a DM.

Cheers.
Old 5th November 2023, 00:51   #2021

Quote:
40K - 50K kms in 2 years is a lot. Wouldnt you be better off with a diesel in that case? But yes, we barely have any diesel cars left and those that are, have worrying DPF issues. Concerning the Taigun, do note that the 1.5TSI is More fuel efficient than the 1.0TSI. The 1.5 TSI has ACT (Active Cylinder Technology) and along with the auto start stop feature it can be a frugal engine.
I did read your post, supremely written. Thank you! I also spoke to an acquaintance and found that bumper to bumper traffic it’s rather stressful to DSG. Considering all factors and my realistic needs, I see that 1.0AT will be better fit and more than enough.

I might have overestimated the mile clocking figure. Only time will tell. I think I am happy with my decision.

What I am struggling is to bring down the pricing. The Lava blue color is what I want, and available only on the newer updated models and these come with little to no discounts. 21.30 OTR is what I’ve got the best till now, includes insurance 45K, rest the usual. Excluding SVP & warranty.

1. What’s the idea time to buy this year considering what I wrote above?
2. Should I take SVP and Max Warranty both or either one? I thought may be there are less troubles with AT gearbox and taigun so can avoid the warranty extension now.

Not able to PM you, don’t see an option, is it because, I am newly approved member? See if you can PM me?
Old 5th November 2023, 07:27   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
1. What’s the idea time to buy this year considering what I wrote above?
2. Should I take SVP and Max Warranty both or either one? I thought may be there are less troubles with AT gearbox and taigun so can avoid the warranty extension now.
The DSG gearbox doesnt enjoy traffic, thats true. I mitigate this, by shifting to manual mode whenever I am in bumper to bumper traffic, to relieve the stress on the gearbox.

You have your heart set on the Lava Blue topline variant. The dealer SA probably understands that. This is also the latest and greatest color that the Taigun comes in. Nothing that you can do can bring down the price by any significant margin

What you can do is make multiple bookings across dealers across the (Do a minimum of 3). No need to visit them, just call them and pay the booking amount to show you are serious. Now you can pitch them against each other. That should give you some sizeable reductions (If at all, as Lava Blue is hot selling right now).

Regarding time of purchase, it wouldnt matter in your case, as you want a hot selling item. It may have mattered, if you wanted a white or grey Highline, as dealers have rows and rows of them in their stock yard that they want to liquidate.

SVP purchase is up to you. It does save you from service cost inflation as well as random ripping off at the service center. But you have to pay for 4 years upfront. I dint choose it for my purchase, as I rather prefer dealing with the service center (As I have been a long time VW owner).

Extended Warranty was a must for me (DSG ). Nothing wrong in getting it, if you can fit it in your budget. Just brings more peace of mind.

Cheers.
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 09:24   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think price difference is a lot. It does seem it’s worth the difference.

In your opinion, for someone who will cover 40-50,000km in let’s say 2 years time. Would you say the mileage on the 1.5DSG will actually be cheaper than the 1.0AT, considering the price difference?
I may have missed it somewhere but I did not see a reason why you dont want to consider the Virtus/Slavia over the CSUVs if you are going for the VW products. They have more space, especially boot space, same features and are a tad cheaper than their CSUV equivalents. Plus they would be a bit more enjoyable to drive on the highway.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 11:36   #2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I may have missed it somewhere but I did not see a reason why you dont want to consider the Virtus/Slavia over the CSUVs if you are going for the VW products. They have more space, especially boot space, same features and are a tad cheaper than their CSUV equivalents. Plus they would be a bit more enjoyable to drive on the highway.
Agree, I agree, I also like the looks of Virtus/Slavia a lot, they offer decent ground clearance. Although never drove any sedans, only sat in them, they never pulled my attention. I also like to think I like taller rather big sized vehicles like Land rover, Safari.

And I cannot get those both for reasons of price and them being too big for city. Similar is the reason for sedans, they are too lengthy to operate within city, also difficult to park. Also, I like sitting on a higher ground.

I absolutely loved the hatchback feeling of Taigun while on the driver’s seat. I actually forego the big suv size factor (seltos does look tad bit bigger, voluminous), just because how great everything is on Taigun.

I think sedan vs suv is just a very subjective, biased thing in addition to the city realities for me.
Old 5th November 2023, 11:42   #2025

Quote:
You have your heart set on the Lava Blue topline variant. The dealer SA probably understands that. This is also the latest and greatest color that the Taigun comes in. Nothing that you can do can bring down the price by any significant margin
I made only one booking, the vehicle is actually available. But I am trying to get absolutely best price. Talking to multiple dealers. It also seems that particular vehicle is only 1nos in their stock. Been a week to this info, it hasn’t been sold, my guess is people don’t want to get lesser discounted one. Hence, I’ll try to get some more discounting.

I’ll skip the svp and warranty for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks