Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2023, 19:38   #1936
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadd7027 View Post
Awesome!! I am also targeting the same variant and gearbox.

Can you share the AC performance, anything to be worried ?
Any tricks for getting the discount is also appreciated
The AC is a chiller. My hands felt really cold post the test drive. The temperature was set at around 21 degrees. I think the initial AC niggles were sorted.

I would also appreciate tips for getting discounts
Old 1st August 2023, 19:59   #1937

Quote:
I am also targeting the same variant and gearbox.

I got the same variant and gearbox last month. AC seems average - while the cooling is fine, it is noisy at medium-high fan speeds and the airflow from rear vents seems less - both these things combined mean there is a trade-off to be made between noise and rear passenger comfort when it is hot outside.

While I intend to get this checked in next service, other users have reported the noise part with their 1.0 Taiguns and hence I am not very hopeful of seeing an improvement.
Autosaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 11:12   #1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosaur View Post
I got the same variant and gearbox last month. AC seems average - while the cooling is fine, it is noisy at medium-high fan speeds and the airflow from rear vents seems less - both these things combined mean there is a trade-off to be made between noise and rear passenger comfort when it is hot outside.

While I intend to get this checked in next service, other users have reported the noise part with their 1.0 Taiguns and hence I am not very hopeful of seeing an improvement.
Thanks for your feedback. Have you taken the delivery of BS6-P.2 or its a BS6-P.1 ?
As per the SA the BS6-P.2 has absolutely no issues. However, such forum discussions are making me think twice b4 I go ahead with Taigun 1.0 AT
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:36   #1939

Quote:
Awesome!! I am also targeting the same variant and gearbox.

I have been in touch with Whitefield one but no offers. I will check with JP nagar branch as well.

Any tricks for getting the discount is also appreciated
The AC worked pretty fine on a hot BLR day. But I was a little surprised (not in a good way) with the power delivery of the 1.0. I'd heard it was as peppy as the 1.2 TSI, but the gearbox kinda mellows the power delivery. The engine is quite noisy too - need to look at ways to dampen the bonnet maybe. Efficiency in the first couple of days has been between 6 - 6.6 kmpl - not happy with this too (The octy feels better now at in city efficiancy now)

On discounts - look for a color/variant they might have in stock for over 90 days - they consider that old stock - Also helps if you own another VW/Skoda (loyalty bonus).
rarit26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:19   #1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarit26 View Post
The AC worked pretty fine on a hot BLR day. But I was a little surprised (not in a good way) with the power delivery of the 1.0. I'd heard it was as peppy as the 1.2 TSI, but the gearbox kinda mellows the power delivery. The engine is quite noisy too - need to look at ways to dampen the bonnet maybe. Efficiency in the first couple of days has been between 6 - 6.6 kmpl - not happy with this too (The octy feels better now at in city efficiancy now)
These insights are extreamly helpful !!

Thats adds into my confusion between Taigun 1.0 AT and Elevate CVT

Background : I drove my friends Grand Vitara AT (Mild Hybrid) and with 4 folks was finding it really difficult to overtake the trucks/trailers, so forget about cruising cars. I had to plan those well in advance and then work with paddles. This became really cumbersome, and I realized I was not enjoying my drive. No sure if that's the case only with that car but 102 BHP seems less.

Then I decided I need an "adequately powered car" also my budget is 17L Exshowroom. So I cant venture 1.5s of Taigun or Seltos

I understand Taigun is Turbo v/s non-turbo and gearbox difference. If a take a look at the specs the Honda has a few more horses and Taigun has 40 NM more.

My understanding Honda will be have a slight advantage on ASS and reliability and city drives. However, if its performance will be similar to GV AT (Mild Hybrid). I will have to drop from my probables and go for Taigun

Would love to hear some expert opinions here. Will Honda CVT provide similar performance in line with Taigun 1.0 AT ?
Old 2nd August 2023, 17:04   #1941

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. Have you taken the delivery of BS6-P.2 or its a BS6-P.1 ?
As per the SA the BS6-P.2 has absolutely no issues. However, such forum discussions are making me think twice b4 I go ahead with Taigun 1.0 AT
Vehicle is June23 manufactured so BS6-P.2.

Even before the purchase, I expected the AC to not be great due to all that has been written about it and the test drive. Post puechase I am not surprised with the issues but still not regretting buying the Taigun.

This is my second VW, I guess most folks who buy VW in India know it won't be the best in terms of features, service experience, VFM and yet they buy a VW as it excels in other areas that matter to them more (For me: Safety, Handling, Styling, Clever design touches and a reliable paint job clinched the deal in that order).

One more thing do check out the Lava Blue color if you take the plunge with Taigun. I wasn't sure initally but now can confidently the color just works on Taigun. Wish there are more Lava Blue Taigun's on the road so I can look at them rather than just sitting inside one.
Autosaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 18:50   #1942
BHPian

Quote:

Even before the purchase, I expected the AC to not be great due to all that has been written about it and the test drive. Post puechase I am not surprised with the issues but still not regretting buying the Taigun.

How bad is the AC? Since you are in Bangalore and it feels inadequate, I am not sure if we can manage Delhi peak summer with VW AC. Can you please shed more light on AC performance (what temperature you set, do you like polar climate or moderate?, etc.)

I am confused between Elevate (head) and Virtus (heart). Need to get some clarity on some doubts before I take the plunge.
Old 2nd August 2023, 19:16   #1943

Quote:
One more thing do check out the Lava Blue color if you take the plunge with Taigun. I wasn't sure initally but now can confidently the color just works on Taigun. Wish there are more Lava Blue Taigun's on the road so I can look at them rather than just sitting inside one.
Great thanks for the inputs. I am also blown away with Lava Blue colour
Since you are a long term vw Owner in Bengaluru.

Can you guide me which dealers/service centers are good in the city whom I can reach out ?
Old 2nd August 2023, 20:02   #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer... View Post
How bad is the AC? Since you are in Bangalore and it feels inadequate, I am not sure if we can manage Delhi peak summer with VW AC. Can you please shed more light on AC performance (what temperature you set, do you like polar climate or moderate?, etc.)
I like moderately cool cabin, the AC should be able to manage that for Delhi summers but with a noisy blower at high fan speeds. For comparision, this AC feels similar in how fast it cools to my Polo TDI (but weaker than a Dzire). Peak summers in Gurgaon/Panipat were manageable in the Polo.

Quote:
Great thanks for the inputs. I am also blown away with Lava Blue colour
Since you are a long term vw Owner in Bengaluru.

Can you guide me which dealers/service centers are good in the city whom I can reach out ?
I moved to Bengaluru recently - my long term Polo ownership is spread across a few cities but not Bengaluru. Here after researching Team-BHP and speaking to a few folks, I zeroed in on PPS Motors for the purchase. Till now the experience is good, can't comment on service experience yet.
Autosaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 10:36   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer... View Post
My friend has been using the Taigun 1.0 AT in Delhi summers (2 seasons) no complaints as such. I do not think you should bother about AC so much, go with your heart.
TJ02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 16:16   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarit26 View Post
An actual comparison would be between the 1.0 TSI and the 1.2 TSI in the Polo. Comparing the 1.2 TSI in the Polo with the 1.0 TSI in the Taigun is not fair. The Taigun is 200+ kilos heavier than the Polo.

It also depends on which AT gearbox you were driving. The DSG in the Polo GT TSI would obviously be better than the TC in the Taigun. The 1.0 TSI is a 3 pot compared to the 4 pot 1.2 TSI. Thus the refinement of the 1.0 TSI is less compared to the 1.2 TSI.

Where the 1.0 TSI shines is in its torque characteristics. Compare the torque curve of the 1.0 TSI with the 1.2 TSI. And you will note the difference and come to appreciate why the 1.0 TSI is such a celebrated engine.

Turbo petrols are thirsty engines and low mileage is part of the territory. It doesnt help that VW doesnt sugarcoat the mileage display either.

Cheers.

Quote:
Would love to hear some expert opinions here. Will Honda CVT provide similar performance in line with Taigun 1.0 AT ?
Both the Honda 1.5 iVtec CVT and Taigun 1.0 TSI AT are completely different animals. One is a high revving NA engine with a smooth gearbox with a subdued rubber band effect. The other is a small turbo petrol begging you to stay in the mid range along with a quick shifting Torque Converter. The only thing they have in common are similar power/torque figures.

I would suggest to take a test drive of both and decide accordingly. They have their own drive characteristics and appeal. Check which one suits your driving style better.

Cheers
Tanu3000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 10:54   #1947

As this forum has umpteen posts about unreliability of the DSG gear system, I want to understand if opting for the Taigun 1.0 TSI Topline AT or 1.5 GT Plus Manual variant make the choice a reliable/troublefree option.

Apart from the Aircon and window switches, are there any major niggles and issues reported for the non-dsg variants?

When I took a test drive recently, Sales rep admitted that there were issues with the service before but it has improved a lot recently. He also said that the overseas models like Tiguan need outsourcing of parts resulting in service delays, but the Taigun is built in India and hence such problems will not surface with it. But again, it's difficult to trust SA's anyways. Their only objective is meeting sales targets.

I loved the handling of Taigun and the slick DSG shifts but worried about all the negative posts about VW.
Old 7th August 2023, 08:44   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticMind View Post

Apart from the Aircon and window switches, are there any major niggles and issues reported for the non-dsg variants?
I would like to give my 2 cents. I have been a comparatively long time VW owner based out of Bangalore. I purchased the VW Polo 1.2 MPI in 2014 (Based on the PQ26 Platform), which I used for 8 happy years. Finally sold it in March 2022, as the 1.2 MPI engine just wasn't cutting it for me any more.

I replaced the Polo with the VW Taigun GT+ DSG (Based on the MQB-A0 IN Platform) in May of 2022. And I couldnt be happier.

Talking about niggles, there are a few to report. It does boil down to the basic differences between the 2 platforms (PQ vs MQB). We in India have been used to the PQ platform (Polo/Vento). The structure, design as well as functionality was similar. As far as I understand, VW has only used the PQ platform in the mass market segment in India since the launch of the Polo. So our benchmarks on what a "Volkswagen" should be are based on that platform.

Now talking about the MQB-A0 platform, that's where we see the difference. It is completely different with respect to its structure/design & functionality. I have sat in the Taigun/T-Roc & New Tiguan. All based on the MQB-Ax platform. They are all similar in feel. That being said the Indian suppliers who are contributing to the Taigun (As its highly localized), are not up to the quality levels of the initial PQ25 yet. It shows in how plush the T-Roc and Tiguan (CBUs) are in comparison to the Taigun.
  • The roof liner was shoddy on launch, they had fixed it by the time I purchased my GT+
  • The power window motors are too slow
  • The driver side one touch up-down needed a service patch to work properly
  • The steering wheel lacks essential buttons (Mute, Call Connect/Disconnect)
  • The AC cooling is not comparable to other brands (21C in Taigun is 24C in my wife's Baleno)
  • The seat upholstery is underwhelming and downright shoddy in some places.
  • The seat cooling function is noisy I have heard (Even though my GT+ doesnt have it).
  • The boot floor is extremely flimsy

All the above point to a new/fresh baked product that needs further improvements. I am confident that the facelift will address most if not all of them.

But its not a bad car by any margin.
  • Its a safe car. I am happy to know that in the event of an impact, the body shell will protect me and my family.
  • The car looks fast, feels fast and is fast. Its one of those cases, where the show matches the go. Actually I have shocked other drivers on the road with how quickly I can cover gaps.
  • The engine is devastatingly good. Drive around town below 2000 rpm, no need to scare anybody on the road Find a rowdy driver on the road and an open stretch? Show them who is boss, above 2000 rpm
  • The DSG gearbox is sublime. The shifts are imperceptible and right when you need them. Upshifts are quick to conserve on fuel economy and downshifts are purposeful on accelerator input. The Taigun in Sports mode is a different animal altogether. You can keep up with serious cars with serious torque very well in sports mode.
  • The suspension is perfectly balanced, soft enough to be comfortable, but hard enough so the car doesn't bounce around at any speed.
  • The ergonomics are perfect, everything is where it should be. The attention to detail is amazing. For eg, the USB C ports are backlit, to ensure you can plug in your devices properly in the dark. Contrast this with other cars where even the window switches some times are not backlit.
  • The seats are firm but comfortable.
  • The ICE is lovely and with Android Auto, extremely useful and precise. No bugs in it whatsoever.
  • I love the "White" cabin lights compared to "Yellow" ones in cars in this segment. Gives it a cold/futuristic look throughout. This perfectly blends with the new steering wheel (Which I absolutely love) and the red ambient light.

My core memories with the Taigun have always been with driving it. Confusing much bigger cars (Harrier/Compass/Innova/Fortuner etc) as to why they struggled so much to overtake me on the highway. Hitting 110 Kmph and realizing the 1.5 TSI is just getting warmed up.

Now coming to the elephant in the room "The DQ200". Yes it has been a problematic gearbox. Mechatronics failure, multiclutch failure, entire gearbox replacement are the trending terms on TeamBHP.
But it does feel like VW has made changes to it over the years to improve its reliability.
  • The 1.5 TSI doesn't launch as briskly as you would expect. Looks like they have done this to reduce stress on the DQ200.
  • The user manual mentions braking at signals instead of shifting to neutral. Looks like the gearbox coding has been changed to disengage the clutch on Braking.
  • The gearbox doesnt keep switching between D1 and D2 in bumper to bumper traffic. Looks like VW prefers slipping the clutch in D2 compared to frying the mechatronics with frequent D1-D2 transitions.

I still may have a DSG failure at some time, or I may not. But as of now I think the "Probability" of having a DSG failure is similar to having a similar failure in any other car. I can live with that. I still have extended warranty and engine/gearbox cover addon just in case.

Manufacturers make mistakes, but they do learn from them as well. VW is still trying to leave the ghost of DQ200 failures behind.

The Taigun is a car that wont appeal immediately to people. It has to be lived/experienced for one to fall in love with it. Difficult to do that, while looking at the brochure/trying to fit 3 people in the rear/reading about DSG failures or over a short/long test drive. But it deserves your affection, because VW delivers on its promise to you. A good looking, sophisticated, robust, safe car that is fun to drive.

So there you have it, my 2 cents (Actually 5 cents, looking at the length of this post).

Cheers.
Tanu3000 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 18:04   #1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
I would like to give my 2 cents. I have been a comparatively long time VW owner based out of Bangalore.
Cheers.
Amazing details and thanks for the explanation.

As I am actively looking to get one. Can you recommend me a preferred dealer and ASS in Banglore based on your experience ?

I stay in Whitefelid but open to get it from any dealer and ASS who offers best service.

Also, What are your thoughts on the resale of VW's 2.0 cars ?
Old 7th August 2023, 19:57   #1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
I would like to give my 2 cents.
Your 2 cents value is more like 2K$'s to me. Thanks a bunch for the useful information.

As per cartoq, the next facelift is due probably end of 2024, which is more than an year away. That too, the changes expected are very minimal and mostly cosmetic in nature. I will not be waiting so long to buy my next car.

Not to be fussy, but any inputs for these questions will be really helpful.

1. Should I consider a 1.0 AT with Torque Convertor tech or a 1.5 manual to eliminate any chance of DSG failure. My current car is an Innova and I don't look forward to car breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, that too leaving my family stranded - Not an experience I am looking for. Hence this question.
2. Used to hear a lot about sensitivity to quality of fuel in the past. Does the current gen VW's handle inferior quality fuel during highway drives without breaking down?
3. Has VW A.S.S improved over the years and are they considerate about customer satisfaction. To narrow it down, my question would be about service centers in Bengaluru.

Appreciate any inputs on these questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks