Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2023, 21:13   #1951
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadd7027 View Post
As I am actively looking to get one. Can you recommend me a preferred dealer and ASS in Banglore based on your experience ?

Also, What are your thoughts on the resale of VW's 2.0 cars ?
As far as I understand, there are 4 VW dealers in Bangalore. Palace Cross /Apple Auto (Whitefield) /Elite Motors (Hosur Road) /PPS Motors (Nagavara). I have had dealings with only 3 of them. I bought my polo from Apple Auto in 2014 and gave it for service there for a few years. The service experience initially was decent but it dropped off after 3-4 years. I then shifted to Elite Motors for service and have stuck to them since then. I am going to them for the servicing of my Taigun as well.

They are a "Comparatively" honest lot, do their job well and take care of all complaints (If any) in a timely manner (Routine maintenance gets completed on the same day). They occasionally try to push useless stuff on you, but will take it back if you insist. They do have a bit of a margin in their service quotes, but I willingly pay that because I know that all my issues are taken care of. Their mechanics though competent, are a bit dirty though and I have had cases of them mildly soiling my car seats. But overall I am satisfied with them.

I bought my Taigun from PPS motors. Their sales dealing was extremely quick and efficient, and I had a good experience with them. I do not have service experience with them.

I would suggest to try the one closest to you first. As Bangalore is a big city and getting around is painful. You can then see how things go

Regarding resale, I dont have too much of an opinion. I see that the Polo is holding its value in the second hand market. It probably would hold true for the Taigun/Virtus as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticMind View Post
Your 2 cents value is more like 2K$'s to me. Thanks a bunch for the useful information.

1. Should I consider a 1.0 AT with Torque Convertor tech or a 1.5 manual to eliminate any chance of DSG failure. My current car is an Innova and I don't look forward to car breakdowns in the middle of nowhere, that too leaving my family stranded - Not an experience I am looking for. Hence this question.
2. Used to hear a lot about sensitivity to quality of fuel in the past. Does the current gen VW's handle inferior quality fuel during highway drives without breaking down?
3. Has VW A.S.S improved over the years and are they considerate about customer satisfaction. To narrow it down, my question would be about service centers in Bengaluru.
I am glad to be of help to a fellow Bhpian

1. This is a difficult question to answer without knowing your current/future usage. Looking at your response, I think highway drives may be a priority? In that case going for the 1.5 TSI manual would be better. Less gear shifts and you get use that explosive engine to its full extent. City drives dont do justice to the 1.5 TSI. I barely can cross 2000 rpm in normal day-to-day driving with the GT+.

2. The recommended octane level for the 1.5 TSI is 95, though it can run on 91 octane as well. If you do go for the 1.5 TSI, I would suggest to feed it 95 octane as the difference in performance/efficiency/behavior is noticeable.

Occasional suspect fuel should not be a problem, but you have to keep an eye on the fuel quality of the petrol you are feeding it. The 1.5 TSI is a highly specialized engine with very fancy high pressure fuel injectors. It is not a "Fill and Forget" engine. If you have regular highway runs on known roads, I would suggest having established CoCo petrol pumps for your car's fuel stops.

3. In short it has gotten better. I have answered this above in more detail above.

Cheers
Tanu3000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 01:02   #1952

Hello BHPians,
Requesting your 2 cents on a dilemma. This is a question I have also asked on the City hybrid thread.

Context:
I drive almost 20 km everyday in peak traffic (through HiTech city area in Hyderabad) with a monthly airport ride (70 km roundtrip) on the plush ORR. I am deciding between VW Taigun 1.5L DSG and City ZX hybrid. I'm currently driving a 2018 manual Jazz and while it's a great practical package, it makes me frown every time I see an empty patch and try to floor the pedal. So, having a fun engine-gearbox combination is an absolute necessity for the new steed. Some of the factors weighing in on my mind for both these are are:
Taigun:
Pros:
  1. On-demand torque on tapping the accelerator.
  2. Ride and handling of the Taigun, seems to be perfectly balanced between city and highway needs.
  3. 5* Safety.
Cons:
  1. Given how I drive in traffic 90% of the distance, with multiple patches slow moving bumper to bumper traffic, DSG is the elephant in the room.
  2. Interiors that are designed for 2013. Only the design and feel. Not sure about the longevity, and future rattling.

City Hybrid
Pros:
  1. Hybrid technology which seems to give the best of both worlds, an EV-like behaviour in the city with an ICE-like range.
  2. The plush feeling as soon as I enter the cabin.
  3. Aspirational value of city while growing up as a gen Z kid.
  4. The hybrid seems to negate the rubber band effect, which was the only con of the petrol City CVT.
Cons:
  1. Lack of exclusivity, with the City looking similar to Amaze.
  2. Lack of luggage space. I'd be making monthly airport trips with an extended weekend's worth of luggage for 2 people.
  3. The low seating will make me suffer from the high beams of oncoming traffic. City drivers these days seem to be using them on well-lit undivided patches, with no regards for the other bikers and drivers.

Conundrum:
While the number of reported DSG incidents seem to have reduced now, I'm not sure if that's true or the recent victims are just being silent about it, as they've signed up for the risk while buying. At this stage of my life and career, I am apprehensive to spend time on dealing with DSG failures and of landing in a spot where I don't have a car in my garage . Should I avoid having a DSG as the only car in my garage? Also, should I factor in the Honda hybrids being a new technology within India and the service engineers not being experienced to handle the issues? Please advise.
Old 9th August 2023, 10:14   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro_phoenix View Post
While the number of reported DSG incidents seem to have reduced now, I'm not sure if that's true or the recent victims are just being silent about it, as they've signed up for the risk while buying. At this stage of my life and career, I am apprehensive to spend time on dealing with DSG failures and of landing in a spot where I don't have a car in my garage . Should I avoid having a DSG as the only car in my garage? Also, should I factor in the Honda hybrids being a new technology within India and the service engineers not being experienced to handle the issues? Please advise.
DSG failures have reduced but extended warranty should keep you covered for 6 years for now with an option to extend further in future so I wouldn't stress too much over it (I have a vento TSI DSG & Slavia DSG )

I would suggest you try the Virtus GT as well , I loved the Virtus but went with Slavia only because wife found the rear seats more plush.

Honda City is not bad but honestly I could never feel connected to the car while driving
Gotham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 18:23   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
Conundrum:
Hello,

Let me start with a disclaimer, I own a Taigun GT+ DSG.

I have another perspective on your conundrum. The DQ200 failure should not be the only thing that you should consider, the incidence of which are decreasing but they are not at zero yet.

Driving through 20km of peak traffic daily will murder your fuel economy. The GT+ DSG hates bumper to bumper traffic and you will get mid single digit mileage during your drives. I live in JP Nagar/Bangalore which has a hellish mix of bad roads and worse traffic. My Taigun returns 6-7 kmpl mileage if I drive around for an hour within JP Nagar.
Adding insult to injury is the 95 Octane petrol that you will be feeding the 1.5 TSI which is 7-10% more expensive.

I do empathize with you about open stretches of road, trust me I do. But your use case is going to be frustrating with the 1.5 TSI. On the other hand, I am not sure if the Honda City Hybrid can provide you with the torque hit that you will get with the Taigun GT DSG.

I suggest getting a cheap beater (if you have parking) for your commute and getting the Taigun GT+ DSG for your airport/reasonable traffic drives.

Cheers.
Tanu3000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 20:28   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
As far as I understand, there are 4 VW dealers in Bangalore. Palace Cross /Apple Auto (Whitefield) /Elite Motors (Hosur Road) /PPS Motors (Nagavara). I have had dealings with only 3 of them. I bought my polo from Apple Auto in 2014 and gave it for service there for a few years. The service experience initially was decent but it dropped off after 3-4 years. I then shifted to Elite Motors for service and have stuck to them since then. I am going to them for the servicing of my Taigun as well.

They are a "Comparatively" honest lot, do their job well and take care of all complaints (If any) in a timely manner (Routine maintenance gets completed on the same day). They occasionally try to push useless stuff on you, but will take it back if you insist. They do have a bit of a margin in their service quotes, but I willingly pay that because I know that all my issues are taken care of. Their mechanics though competent, are a bit dirty though and I have had cases of them mildly soiling my car seats. But overall I am satisfied with them.

I bought my Taigun from PPS motors. Their sales dealing was extremely quick and efficient, and I had a good experience with them. I do not have service experience with them.

I would suggest to try the one closest to you first. As Bangalore is a big city and getting around is painful. You can then see how things go

Regarding resale, I dont have too much of an opinion. I see that the Polo is holding its value in the second hand market. It probably would hold true for the Taigun/Virtus as well?

I am glad to be of help to a fellow Bhpian

1. This is a difficult question to answer without knowing your current/future usage. Looking at your response, I think highway drives may be a priority? In that case going for the 1.5 TSI manual would be better. Less gear shifts and you get use that explosive engine to its full extent. City drives dont do justice to the 1.5 TSI. I barely can cross 2000 rpm in normal day-to-day driving with the GT+.

2. The recommended octane level for the 1.5 TSI is 95, though it can run on 91 octane as well. If you do go for the 1.5 TSI, I would suggest to feed it 95 octane as the difference in performance/efficiency/behavior is noticeable.

Occasional suspect fuel should not be a problem, but you have to keep an eye on the fuel quality of the petrol you are feeding it. The 1.5 TSI is a highly specialized engine with very fancy high pressure fuel injectors. It is not a "Fill and Forget" engine. If you have regular highway runs on known roads, I would suggest having established CoCo petrol pumps for your car's fuel stops.

3. In short it has gotten better. I have answered this above in more detail above.

Cheers

I have had my 2021 polo GT tsi serviced from PPS (both Nagawara and HAL) a couple of times now. While the service experience has been decent, they tend to add some useless services and additional charges if you are not careful enough. While Elite Motors near E-city is kinda close to my place, I have heard a lot of negative reviews about them. I was going to buy Taigun GT Plus as my second car from Elite but, they never arranged test drives even after multiple follow-ups and visits to the showroom. I bought the Kushaq Montecarlo DSG instead from Tafe Access at HSR.
Gurudatt28227 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 15:16   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatt28227 View Post
I have had my 2021 polo GT tsi serviced from PPS (both Nagawara and HAL) a couple of times now. While the service experience has been decent, they tend to add some useless services and additional charges if you are not careful enough. While Elite Motors near E-city is kinda close to my place, I have heard a lot of negative reviews about them. I was going to buy Taigun GT Plus as my second car from Elite but, they never arranged test drives even after multiple follow-ups and visits to the showroom. I bought the Kushaq Montecarlo DSG instead from Tafe Access at HSR.
I have a nice anecdotal story for my Taigun purchase. I had a very good Pre-Sales experience with Elite Motors, at the JP Nagar outlet. I was in touch with a brilliant SA who knew VW cars and could give me the difference in engine characteristics between the 1.2 MPI and the 1.0 MPI in the Polo, which is rare. I had 4 long test drives, where they got the Taigun GT+ DSG to my home in JP Nagar twice and the Topline AT twice. Each test drive lasted near 45 minutes to an hour.

So after all that good experience, I went and bought the Taigun GT+ DSG from PPS Motors Nagavara.

Elite Motors (JP Nagar) did not get a Taigun GT+ allocation for 5 months straight (Jan-2022 to May 2022). By April 2022, I was frustrated and made multiple bookings at Apple Auto and PPS Motors to broaden my chances to get the car. PPS motors got an allocation and were able to deliver my Cherry red Taigun GT+ in May 2022 itself. I never took a test drive from PPS motors at all

Cheers.
Old 13th August 2023, 14:43   #1957

I having this issue with installing VW Play apps on my Taigun, when I hit download, it says “error” right on the button that supposed to show a % progress of the download. This was working before but I had to reset the whole system and ever since then, I am having this issue. Here is what I have tried so far :
  1. Tried forcing DNS on my internet connection to see if its a connectivity issue with broadband
  2. Tried using hot spot with two different providers (Airtel & Jio)
  3. Logged out of the VW system and tried again
  4. Tried this over three days now, that probably rules out any service down time hopefully

An image of the error :
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_0226.jpeg
Old 16th August 2023, 22:51   #1958

I did a test drive on Taigun 1.0 AT (TC) followed by 1.0 MT. The AT experience was good.Pardon me but I have a question, on the 1.0 MT had anyone tried the 2nd gear speedbreaker test? How does it clear?
My decision to go for Taigun is paused after driving the MT. Could it be that the clutch plate in the test vehicle is worn out or is it just lag and normal behaviour because the test vehicle I was driving was struggling.
Old 17th August 2023, 12:31   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhswift13 View Post
The AT experience was good.Pardon me but I have a question, on the 1.0 MT had anyone tried the 2nd gear speedbreaker test? How does it clear?
I have a Kushaq 1L manual, once you get used to the gear it will be able to glide through speedbreaker in 2nd gear as well. I will suggest to upgrade to an AT if driving will be majorly in City.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 14:07   #1960
BHPian

I own a 7 year old Vento TSI...( Had a Baleno 1.6 before that )
Always felt the Baleno ( Bridgestone 250) was far more silent and better handling than my Vento MRF zvtv..
That said..the present crop of cars from VW seem distinctly lighter ..almost Hyundai ishc.. compared to the Vento.
My Vento has had zero issues..other than the Aircon condenser packing up at around 60k km..and replaced under extended warranty.
I can almost predict the occasional lunge the car makes when the gear drops from 3 to 2..and I instinctively take my foot off the accelerator! Rare..but can happen especially when coming down a long incline and the over a speed breaker...looks like the Germans never expected "bumps" after a slope!
To hear of the horror stories of the present series of cars..puts me in a dilemma...what to buy next!!?
Old 17th August 2023, 14:22   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel990 View Post
I own a 7 year old Vento TSI...( Had a Baleno 1.6 before that )
Always felt the Baleno ( Bridgestone 250) was far more silent and better handling than my Vento MRF zvtv..
That said..the present crop of cars from VW seem distinctly lighter ..almost Hyundai ishc.. compared to the Vento.
My Vento has had zero issues..other than the Aircon condenser packing up at around 60k km..and replaced under extended warranty.
I can almost predict the occasional lunge the car makes when the gear drops from 3 to 2..and I instinctively take my foot off the accelerator! Rare..but can happen especially when coming down a long incline and the over a speed breaker...looks like the Germans never expected "bumps" after a slope!
To hear of the horror stories of the present series of cars..puts me in a dilemma...what to buy next!!?
Hi Daniel,

I would suggest you go through one of my earlier posts https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5599820 (Volkswagen Taigun Review)

I upgraded from a VW Polo to a VW Taigun GT+. I had few of the same observations as you do. And we are very much correct in them.

But the primary point is the cars have changed and so has the yardstick. For example, if we take your observation of the cars being lighter. The current crop of VW cars now have to adhere to new norms of pedestrian safety that weren't applicable before. Thus the body panels need to be softer to prevent injuries to pedestrians.

Look at the big picture

Cheers.
Tanu3000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 16:03   #1962

Posting a quick message for the benefit of those asking questions about the AC performance in the 1.0. I will follow this up with a fuller review of my experience over the last 9-10 months (6000 Kms with my topline AT).

Living in Delhi NCR, I too had my reservations about the AC performance, however, am happy to report after witnessing a full delhi summer + a couple of trips to RJ, that the AC performance is sufficient.

Is it the quickest to chill the cabin? No.
Is it the most silent? No.

But, does it cause any problems? Also, no.

The trick is to bear the noisy blower on full speed, lowest temp for the first 5-10 mins and then take it to a silent 19-21 degs + blower on 2-3 (or even Auto mode with 20 deg will do this after 10 mins).
This is similar to what one will need to do in most vehicles.

I’ve faced no AC cutoffs in traffic jams (barring when engine auto cut off is switched on).

I have even had rear passengers occasionally tell me to decrease the blower speed or increase the temperature 20-30 mins into the ride coz of how cool the cabin got.
tabadhtodh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 19:23   #1963
BHPian

Quote:

Context:
I drive almost 20 km everyday in peak traffic (through HiTech city area in Hyderabad) with a monthly airport ride (70 km roundtrip) on the plush ORR. I am deciding between VW Taigun 1.5L DSG and City ZX hybrid. I'm currently driving a 2018 manual Jazz and while it's a great practical package, it makes me frown every time I see an empty patch and try to floor the pedal. So, having a fun engine-gearbox combination is an absolute necessity for the new steed.
Your usecase seems perfect for the MG ZS EV. Why I am suggesting this:

1. Oodles of power on tap. No gear shifts, no optimum engine RPM. You will be hitting silly speeds in no time.

2. Your usecases are primarily city based. You don't have to worry about low mileage due to traffic. No range anxiety as well.

3. No DSG worries.

4. Pricing wise it's similar, excite variant is a good option if on a budget.

Only reasons to avoid:

1. You do long drives to areas without charging infra. You can check this on plugshare.

2. You don't have a covered car parking. Just a 15A plug point is enough to never worry about charging again but if you cannot get it, it's not worth it.
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 10:02   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post

Now talking about the MQB-A0 platform, that's where we see the difference. It is completely different with respect to its structure/design & functionality. I have sat in the Taigun/T-Roc & New Tiguan. All based on the MQB-Ax platform. They are all similar in feel. That being said the Indian suppliers who are contributing to the Taigun (As its highly localized), are not up to the quality levels of the initial PQ25 yet. It shows in how plush the T-Roc and Tiguan (CBUs) are in comparison to the Taigun.
[list][*]The roof liner was shoddy on launch, they had fixed it by the time I purchased my GT+[*]The power window motors are too slow[*]The driver side one touch up-down needed a service patch to work properly[*]The steering wheel lacks essential buttons (Mute, Call Connect/Disconnect)[*]The AC cooling is not comparable to other brands (21C in Taigun is 24C in my wife's Baleno)[*]The seat upholstery is underwhelming and downright shoddy in some places.
]

Now coming to the elephant in the room "The DQ200". Yes it has been a problematic gearbox. Mechatronics failure, multiclutch failure, entire gearbox replacement are the trending terms on TeamBHP.
But it does feel like VW has made changes to it over the years to improve its reliability.
  • The 1.5 TSI doesn't launch as briskly as you would expect. Looks like they have done this to reduce stress on the DQ200.
  • The user manual mentions braking at signals instead of shifting to neutral. Looks like the gearbox coding has been changed to disengage the clutch on Braking.
  • The gearbox doesnt keep switching between D1 and D2 in bumper to bumper traffic. Looks like VW prefers slipping the clutch in D2 compared to frying the mechatronics with frequent D1-D2 transitions.

Cheers.
Congratulations on the new car, i had a similar dilemma when looking to replace my 2014 vento TSI and ended up with a 2017 pre owned Polo GT. Also own a taigun and a virtus in the family.

Yes roof liners have been shoddy since the first revision of the Polo/Vento around 2013 I think. Glad they fixed it.

Agreed even my polo has the all windows single touch up down function which works with the key also, MQB-IN only has the function on the driver side, key functionality has to be coded in.

Did not like the new wheel (subjective), but it's also missing these essential functions that you have mentioned.

IMPORTANT FOR YOU -The AC cooling parameters can be coded in to improve it by leaps and bounds. Talk to your local VW tinkerer. I think it was mellowed down by VW to have better FE figures early on. They did upgrade the software but only 1 parameter.

Seat bolstering is way superior than polo vento for my body type. Seems way to soft in polo Vento

DSG revision 2 is what we have had now since 2017 I believe. My vento had the D1-D2-D1 issue which was meant to be fixed by a software flash by VW.

The revision 2 in my polo feels more robust in my experience so far of about 55k kms, the one in my vento conked off at about 90k kms (Dual Clutch at 80k kms, Mechatronic at 90k kms)

Try out a car with a DSG remap, it makes a big difference. My polo has both the ECU and the TCU remapped. To trick to maintain warranty is to map the TCU directly by pins instead of the OBD port. In my car doing this did not leave any logs in the event logger.

And lastly. Enjoy your VW. Despite being lighter in build than previous VW cars, it's still better than everything else on sale. Also VW cars are like Lego sets, there's a world of improvements you can make using OEM parts.
hellraiser_yank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 11:57   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.helios View Post
Took Helios to the 7500 campaign
1 year service update

KM Driven : 12000
Major Issues: None
Minor Issues: Software updates for AC and Driver side window one touch

Service booking experience: PSS VW, Old Airport Road
1. PPS VW missed to pick up the car after i booked the service to get both the minor issues sorted in early May 2023. The team wrote back saying i could either schedule a new one or drop by when it is convenient for me to visit. Decided to wait until July for the 1 year service to get both these updates and other changes done.

2. 1 Year service appointment: I was surprised to see no booking for me even after intimating the CS executive a month in advance about the date. The CS executive messed up and booked the service at Nagawara centre. After a short exchange of my displeasure, the DGM services ensured that the car was attended to on the same date, and without much delay.

The car did not have a lot of issues that needed fixing, the staff committed a 5 hours time for delivery and i decided to wait until it is done. I was out of the centre in about 5.15 hours. I got the usual one year service done with a full engine oil replacement, along with the software updates. i also got the sunroof mechanicals lubed. I had asked previously if the cabin air filter was worth it. Even though it did not fetch any response, i went ahead and made that change at Rs.999. i have not seen a lot of difference after swapping it. The washing leaves a lot to be desired for, but at that point I did not care. the roof liner was soiled a bit as well. No wheel alignment was done as their machine had some issues. I need to get this done. I have been closely following the threads about Madhu's and will make my first visit in some time.

3. Staff behaviours: Very approachable and patient, and i think there is a reason why a lot of folks say that the Old Airport SC is a better one to take your car to. The team is going through an overhaul with some of the old timers leaving as per the service manager, but they are definitely try to make it up.

Other Shenanigans with the car

1. Sunfilms from Garware : Detailed post here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5545987 (Front windscreen sunfilm?))

2. De-chromed the car as i wanted. i had been using wraps from the first week, but have now got them painted properly. I absolutely love how the no chrome version looks. Costed me 6K to get this done for the front, read, door handles,roof rails and mirror covers. I am now considering the alloys to be dipped or painted to black to complete the cosmetic changes.

3. Helios has picked up a lot of swirl marks in the last one year - i did not opt for PPF or ceramic when i got the car. I am considering a ceramic coating now, but unfortunately left rear door has a dent, thanks to some driver to decided to park too close and bang open their door and leave a huge dent. PPS VW has quoted 11k to fix this and paint. i am still thinking if we should do this or go ahead and do a minor wrapping.

4. Since i cannot get the ceramic coating done immediately, i decided to take the car to the Turtle Wax centre in Sarjapur Road and got a wash and wax done. They claim that the wax will stay on for 3-4 months if i only pressure wash.

Leaving some pictures after the de-chroming and waxing. the swirl marks are quite visible even now unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-helios2.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-helios1.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-helios4.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-helios3.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-helios5.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-helios6.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-helios8.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-helios7.jpg  

drive.helios is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com