Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 11:00   #1066
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I think you misunderstood him. I believe he was talking about the 1.0 (he pronounced it as "one point oh" variant).
Sharp ears. Am still hearing it as 1.4 anyways i have booked 1.0 AT. On lighter note I hope my ears help the infotainment sound great
Old 4th February 2022, 11:35   #1067
BHPian

I also heard it as 1.4 liter the first time around. But on replaying it, he does say one point oh

So we in the safe for now. No need to fear the return of the 1.4 TSI
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:37   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Sharp ears. Am still hearing it as 1.4 anyways i have booked 1.0 AT. On lighter note I hope my ears help the infotainment sound great
I personally found the system in the 1.0 topline MT to be quite decent.
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:33   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu3000 View Post
I also heard it as 1.4 liter the first time around. But on replaying it, he does say one point oh

So we in the safe for now. No need to fear the return of the 1.4 TSI
Was thinking why did he mean 1.0 when it was already available and launched with 1.5. However should be fine as long as they don't scare the market as you say. Seriously think they should engage with market better.
Old 4th February 2022, 12:35   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I personally found the system in the 1.0 topline MT to be quite decent.
Am getting highline next week. Hopefully shouldn't be forced to spend on sub woofers.
Old 4th February 2022, 14:29   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Was thinking why did he mean 1.0 when it was already available and launched with 1.5. However should be fine as long as they don't scare the market as you say. Seriously think they should engage with market better.
I think the video was shot after the media drive of the 1.5 TSI but before the media drive for the 1.0 TSI. So Ashish was stating that the reviewers would notice the ventilated seats in the 1.0 TSI variants.

But yes, VW engages with the market in their own weird ways. I remember him telling during the Taigun launch (I think??!) that they had focus group discussions with existing VW customers on what should the Taigun have.

Would be very much interested if any of our team bhp folks were part of those focus groups
Old 5th February 2022, 21:27   #1072

Friends need a suggestion, i need some help in choosing the correct variant for my usage. I am currently evaluating 1.0 Topline AT and GT Plus.

My Requirements:
My running would be mix go city and highways. My monthly running is approximately ~1200Kms per month (40% city and 60% highway). I do a lot of Mumbai Pune travel, but occasionally would take this to longer rides as well. Should i spend those extra 2L and get a GT Plus or will the 1.0 Topline be enough for my requirements? Is power offered by 1.0 AT adequate to take it to hills? Occupancy at max would be 4 adults with luggage on long trips.
Old 6th February 2022, 12:15   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pustake View Post
My Requirements:
My running would be mix go city and highways. My monthly running is approximately ~1200Kms per month (40% city and 60% highway). I do a lot of Mumbai Pune travel, but occasionally would take this to longer rides as well. Should i spend those extra 2L and get a GT Plus or will the 1.0 Topline be enough for my requirements? Is power offered by 1.0 AT adequate to take it to hills? Occupancy at max would be 4 adults with luggage on long trips.
Hello. I have recently test driven both the Topline AT as well as the GT Plus, before I went ahead and made a booking for the GT Plus. Here are my two cents:

Your purchase decision would primarily be based on how the engine and the gearbox behave. I experienced the following:

Topline AT - Engine: The 1.0 TSI is a fun motor to drive. It is very rev happy, and begs to be driven hard. That being said, the low end torque delivery is very regular. I drive a Polo 1.2 MPI and can say that below 2000 RPM, I couldnt notice much difference between how the two. The turbo in the 1.0 TSI spools around 1800-1900 rpm. So the engine wakes up past 2000 rpm, and thats where the fun begins. The engine pulls cleanly starting 2500 rpm all the way to the redline. The engine note in the mid range and top end are nice to experience (If you like that sort of thing !!). But that is the catch with the 1.0 TSI, you need to rev the engine to enjoy it. Low end torque is good enough for city commuting but not that much fun. And obviously you rev the engine and your FE drops correspondingly. I dint take the test drive car onto the highway but I assume it will be able to cruise without much effort (Thanks to the tall gearing). But yes quick overtakes and hill duty will need usage of the mid to top end quiet a lot.

Topline AT - TC Gearbox: I dont have enough experience to do a blow by blow comparison of the TC and DSG gearboxes. DSG is quicker but imperceptibly so compared to the TC. The only observation was with respect to the paddles. Using them would force the gearbox into manual mode (Obviously!). Now the TC would return to auto mode automatically in a few seconds after paddle usage (Not so in the DSG).

GT Plus - Engine: The 1.5 TSI has a different character. It doesnt rev as easily as the 1.0 TSI, nor does it push all the way to the red line (Shorter torque curve). But what it does have is low end torque (Bigger displacement engine). The turbo spools quicker (Around 1700 RPM), but frankly the car is very drivable even before the turbo kicks in. In city conditions, you wouldnt need to rev the engine. The pre-turbo torque is enough for puttering around. on your local roads. And when the turbo does kick in, the torque delivery is more mature and linear in nature. The more you press on the A pedal, the further you get pushed into your seats You have total control on the power/torque delivery. I again, couldn't take the car out on to the highway, but I assume the low end and mid range would be enough for effortless cruising. The torque figures I believe should be enough to do hairpin buds with a full load, at any gear. On top of the reduced amount of revving required, the 1.5 TSI has ACT as well. The car's auto start stop, low revs and ACT should result in fantastic FE.

GT Plus - DSG Gearbox: The 1.5 TSI engine is a gem of an engine. It doesn't frankly need the DSG gearbox to cover its minimal faults. I again cant exactly point at any specific pros/cons of the DSG (Lack of experience). Just one point as I mentioned above. If you use the paddles on the DSG, the manual mode doesnt revert back to auto on its own. It stays in manual till you force it back to auto. Also ,reliability wise we need to get the maximum warranty and be mentally prepared for a gearbox failure at some point.

End of the day, I think your choice should come down to how you drive. Do you like revving the engine and keeping the pots on boil or are you a sedate driver who keeps the revs low. In a nutshell;
  • The 1.5 TSI can be revved
  • The 1.0 TSI needs to be revved

Cheers.
Tanu3000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 20:10   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
The only observation was with respect to the paddles. Using them would force the gearbox into manual mode (Obviously!). Now the TC would return to auto mode automatically in a few seconds after paddle usage (Not so in the DSG).
As far as I know, it returns to auto in DSG as well, if you don't use the paddles for a considerable amount of time.
FrAgile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 22:00   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pustake View Post
I own a Taigun 1.0L Topline AT. With 5 people (3 adults, 2 children who weigh as one adult), a fully packed boot (you can check my photo in the review post for reference) didn't pose any challenge to my car in the hilly roads of Yercaud, even in the steeper sections, where it was mostly good roads and some broken stretches. I did not find myself revving unnecessarily and it was mostly (99% of the time) on automatic too, except when I was trying out the paddle shifters.
asmr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 08:45   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
GT Plus - DSG Gearbox: The 1.5 TSI engine is a gem of an engine. It doesn't frankly need the DSG gearbox to cover its minimal faults. I again cant exactly point at any specific pros/cons of the DSG (Lack of experience). Just one point as I mentioned above. If you use the paddles on the DSG, the manual mode doesnt revert back to auto on its own. It stays in manual till you force it back to auto. Also ,reliability wise we need to get the maximum warranty and be mentally prepared for a gearbox failure at some point.
That is not the case with my 1.5GT. The engine runs within specific band. So with paddles or when I use a stick to go manual, if the engine revs fall below a threshold the gear is moved down and car automatically goes into Auto. I need to use the stick once again to go manual.

Haven't revved it hard in manual to see if the gear level shifts +1, if the revvs are too high, but definitely true the other way round.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th February 2022 at 08:50. Reason: Quote tags fixed
vinitbarve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 15:05   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Owners of 1.5 GT M/T - what is the fuel efficiency you are getting in city and highways?
Old 8th February 2022, 18:25   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Owners of 1.5 GT M/T - what is the fuel efficiency you are getting in city and highways?
Pls refer to the post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
Taigun real world Fuel Efficiency numbers for my car (GT1.5).
vinitbarve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 19:07   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
Pls refer to the post below
Thanks. Hope these are for MT?
Old 8th February 2022, 19:15   #1080

I noticed a question on FE. I've been experimenting with different driving conditions to optimize the 'Kitna deti hai' question although that was not the reason I bought the Taigun! Just some cheap thrills

The best I've ever got is 27.1 kmpl (see attached photo) for a 77km stretch from Bangalore city to Chennai. Those who know this stretch will be aware that there is a good downhill component as well, as you get close to Krishnagiri. I did this on cruise control (~80% of the journey) at 80 kmph.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_0536.jpg
dhananjay33 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks