Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2022, 19:51   #1171

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
The instrument cluster does go dark when one enters a reduced illumination zone like an underground parking but remains bright during sunlight. This is really bizarre but the dealer says it's a design thing. And it's rather irritating to say the least.
So is there anyways this can be taken up with VW to tweak the software so that this doesn't happen. @ Mods.
The kushaq use manual says this.

According to it, this dimming of instrument cluster in poor lighting conditions is not a bug. Its a feature. It is intended to force you to turn on the headlights.
sandeepss1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 19:59   #1172
BHPian

Driving is a pleasure. Points I have noted :-

1.FE - 8.5 in AT mode in New Delhi's traffic. Normally on 3rd gear.
2.Instrument Cluster lights- They go off in underground parking. Have already posted about this.
3. Body metal is much lighter than erstwhile VW products.
4. Interiors plastics are lower quality compared to VW standards.
5. Doors somehow need a push to close. No the light handed closing action am used to on the Polo TDi.
6. The trip meter doesn't seem to reset for each trip. If I don't re set it, it shows cumulative km run on the right hand bottom since the last trip reset button.
7. Each time I touch the brake pedal and push it about 1/2 an inch there is some kind of feedback on the gear knob. It's like a gentle throb inside the knob. One has to be holding the knob to sense this.
8. Throaty sound of the engine is quite 'nawice'! and it doesn't feel like a three cylinder (I dislike using the word pot for a cylinder in an engine. Find it kind of disrespectful).
9. The sliding forward function in the front arm rest is a nice touch.
10. The car has a tendency to drive in D2 when a third gear can easily do the job, so the paddle shift at such times is handy to slide her into M3. Downshifting wise, she doesn't have a problem. Eager to please.
11. Used the cruise control function at 50 when i got a reasonable stretch, just to test it within the city. Full maza (fun).
12. I hope all the alloy rimmed owners of the Taigun are aware of the lock placed on the rim nuts and how to unlock/remove the former.
13. Am using standard petrol (not speed). Will speed fuel help?
14. The steering wheel is too smooth to hold. Hands tend to slip. Some amount of rough finish would have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
Congratulations man! How's the experience thus far?
The dealership told me that the wiring harness for the two headlamp assemblies are totally different and will require a JUGAAD which would void the warranty. This because I had asked him the same thing (to be done prior delivery). So I'd suggest let it be for now. VW played smart and let it rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunj View Post
Hey all,

Has anyone here tried swapping out the halogen headlights on the GT variant for the LED units that come with the GT+? I'm talking about the entire headlight assembly, complete with the projectors, DRLs etc. Is this swap even feasible?

Last edited by Aditya : 31st March 2022 at 21:16. Reason: Hinglish
darthvader5000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 06:47   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepss1980 View Post

I'm betting its the injectors. Because Indian petrol pumps are generally unethical and the fuel quality is low. This is a very normal problem for me when i have to fill from Ghaziabad side.

The usual fix for this is run one tank of fuel with injector cleaning additive - like STP, Indian Oil or HPCL additive. You can read this thread here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...es-thread.html (The Fuel Additives Thread)
The fuel quality issue can be ruled out because the fuel used is of top quality(actually we work in a petroleum refinery and have a COCO outlet just in the work premises where top quality fuel is directly supplied from refinery). The other aspects needs to be checked
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 22:34   #1174

The FE seems to be highly sensitive to AC controls. If you switch from Auto to any other mode with even moderate fan speed and temperature, FE seems to drop sharply. Almost by 1.5-2.0 Points per L. Same thing on Highway as well as city.
tanmay2612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 23:58   #1175
BHPian

You're saying its best to leave it at auto? One would think that the lowest rpm for the blower coupled with 21/ 22 degrees or even 23,would be better. What's the auto mode temperature cut off set at, if known ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay2612 View Post
The FE seems to be highly sensitive to AC controls. If you switch from Auto to any other mode with even moderate fan speed and temperature, FE seems to drop sharply. Almost by 1.5-2.0 Points per L. Same thing on Highway as well as city.
darthvader5000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 00:24   #1176

Quote:
this is very interesting. have you tested this ?
Old 13th March 2022, 00:41   #1177
BHPian

I spoke to VW today on this. Someone way up the food chain.

Explained the issue/irritant to him. He understood and empathised with the same. Post discussions he added that the tech team would be in touch.

Got a call from the tech guy and it was also explained to him that if the instrument cluster lights are ON during day time by default, there is no reason for them to go OFF in low light conditions when the ambient light is still good enough (ambient lighting was shown on video). Thence, the need to switch on headlamps, to light up the instrument cluster lights is un warranted and results in unnecessary battery usage whilst also eating into headlamp bulb life. He asked me to send a video of the same, which was done.

Suggested the following solutions:-

1. Tweak the software to let them be ON at all times,as an option for the customer in a service visit.

2. Tweak the software so that switching to PARKING LIGHT mode gets the instrument cluster lights ON.

They said they would take this up and revert.

Quote:
The kushaq use manual says this.

According to it, this dimming of instrument cluster in poor lighting conditions is not a bug. Its a feature. It is intended to force you to turn on the headlights.

Last edited by darthvader5000 : 13th March 2022 at 00:42. Reason: Typo
darthvader5000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 05:48   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
This is quite an update if true. Fuel efficiency is actually bothersome with price of car and fuel ( though my view is that it is the taxes that are making both look pricey). Am getting around 8 to 10 kmpl in city and guessing around 14 on highway. Definitely want it to be around 12 and 16 respectively.
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 13:12   #1179

In the ICE setting, under 'Car' --- 'Instrument Cluster' - there is a setting called speed warning. Its unchecked in mine.

Does anyone know if these is the same as the speed chimes we are discussing here?
I have not taken the car outside Delhi NCR yet, so haven't been able to test it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjanKatna View Post
I tried searching for it again and didn't find it!!!! will try once more else ask my service/sales guy once.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th May 2022 at 14:51. Reason: Broken quote tags
AnjanKatna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 15:30   #1180
BHPian

Has anyone here used Proctane Evo with their Taigun or any VAG vehicle that requires a RON95 fuel? Could you please share your experience with that octane booster or any other brand you might have used? Thanks in advance for your time.

Cheers,
Asmr
Old 14th March 2022, 13:34   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjoySinha View Post
I own a Highline. Regarding the illumination in the Instrument cluster, I also initially found it very irritating that it did not light up in a Non-Parking light/Non-Headlight ON mode. But to my surprise, on a few occasions I found the instrument cluster lighted up by itself in those condition.
The issue needs further examination as we sometimes require the instrument panel to be illuminated even during bright sunlit days. The SA were also clueless when I pointed this out to them. Maybe they are still in the learning stage.
Would like further clarification on the issue.
Hi, yesterday i tried to cover the instrument cluster using a handkerchief during the daytime and immediately the lights goes off. Later in the evening when it was dark outside, i did the reverse this time and use my mobile flash directing towards the instrument cluster and it lighted up. There seems to be an ambient lighting sensor. However as mentioned by other members also, at least these shall be connected to the parking lights.
awaiting for updates over this issue.

Thanks!
jazzy47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 14:20   #1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
You're saying its best to leave it at auto? One would think that the lowest rpm for the blower coupled with 21/ 22 degrees or even 23,would be better. What's the auto mode temperature cut off set at, if known ?
Quote:
this is very interesting. have you tested this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
This is quite an update if true. Fuel efficiency is actually bothersome with price of car and fuel ( though my view is that it is the taxes that are making both look pricey). Am getting around 8 to 10 kmpl in city and guessing around 14 on highway. Definitely want it to be around 12 and 16 respectively.
I will find a specific route to check this and report on numerical basis for same in coming days.

But i have observed on recent trip (+200Km one way) when AC was maintained at Auto with temperature set at 21-22 the fuel efficiency was coming as expected (~around 17-18 Kmpl on high way run) but with temperature at 21-22 and blower at level-3 i was getting around 15-16 kmpl. There is a significant improvement in cooling levels when moving from Auto mode to manual.

Wanted the communities observations as well, if they have found similar trends.
tanmay2612 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 17:48   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
I will find a specific route to check this and report on numerical basis for same in coming days.

Wanted the communities observations as well, if they have found similar trends.
I did about 750 kms of round trip of which 90% was NH. BP speed for onward and XP95 for return. Used cruise control a bit. Didn't cross 100 kmh even once. AC was in manual mode hovering around 20. FE was around 15 to 16 kmpl. Next trip is sometime away but your point is worth checking out. Hope I remember to check. Also wanted to highlight XP95 was from coco and felt little better on engine.
Old 14th March 2022, 20:42   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Also wanted to highlight XP95 was from coco and felt little better on engine.
May I ask where is this IOCL COCO outlet in Chennai?
Old 14th March 2022, 21:10   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
May I ask where is this IOCL COCO outlet in Chennai?
This was at srirangam. I gather IOCL coco in chennai is at Indira nagar, alandur and SP koil. Seems Xp95 in chennai is not available at many places. Woodlands stocks only normal and XP100 and suggested gayatri agencies near mylapore. However haven't been there. Currently using BP at trustpuram and HP near prathap plaza after kodambakkam Bridge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks