Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 22:32   #916
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashwin View Post
Totally on the same page. The red inserts ruined it for me. The Topline doesn't have the red inserts but 20L for a 1.0L doesn't make the most sense.
Hi Hashwin, the Sales person in VW showroom said they can order the replacement part after 2-3 months once they are avaialble and these can be replaced. I feel it's unfair for customers to pay for it when I already paid you 21L for the 1.5L DSG..
Old 29th November 2021, 06:41   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I wanted to have an in-depth look, after reading pages and pages of complaints about the interiors of these cars on this forum.
How would you compare the door bonnet build with those of rapid or polo?
Any observations on switches and ac vents?
Old 29th November 2021, 14:47   #918
BHPian

[quote=84.monsoon;5204885] My recommendation to my friend is therefore going to be to go for the Kushaq Ambition with the seat covers from the Style trim - the SA confirmed these were readily available.

Perfectly penned. I suggested the same to my friend who was confused between Taigun and Kushaq for 1.5 dsg, to pick Kushaq. Upgrading from Rapid he was unhappy with the quality of plastics, especially the black top of Kushaq. Taigun was equally bad. But while Taigun looks ‘techy’ Kushaq looked like a mini Karoq from both front and back and I believe that there is a 40k discount.
Also 4 years maintenence pack and 6 years warranty is more reassuring considering he’s getting the dq200 box. I also drove the Xuv700 petrol automatic and felt the performance is stronger than the VAG cars, more effortless too. Stability was also good. Features were extensive and I felt the plastic quality on dash to be better too, though it wasn’t put together the same solid way as Vw. ADAS features worked well too. Especially the adaptive cruise and lane keeping. It even braked from 110 - 60kmph when I hit a patch of water on the highway at speed and showed a message that I was carrying too much speed for the surface. I felt the 360 camera to also be of good quality. But for the waiting period and reliability concerns with a new Mahindra it would have been my first recommendation.

Adding my pics :

PS : The last pic I posted is the Octavia. Though it felt really solid and had excellent plastics, the black plasticky dash top looked cheaper than the previous octavia which had a leather look dashtop. I think that leads many who are upgrading from Polo / Vento to feel the same about Kushaq.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-3127a1db2645414eb68ca944047bcf5e.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-e4900cd114b74ab4b98dd8f19d1f31cf.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-d6e88f16b6064b39b9739f38338e672e.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-cce1b5a578374c769b66c0048ed834a1.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-0430311418f9420e99387769c6ea9046.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-1a9b5d8e2e004077875eb5a9a92d229e.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-040415ca29ea4b9fab106eee2c1d84a4.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-c6b3f84d13414299946418739bf439eb.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-7d4e1caeea654ceb82d20b761fd9659e.jpeg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-fc07657e23d44288a82282dbd691029a.jpeg  

Last edited by spkrnh : 29th November 2021 at 14:53.
spkrnh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 15:58   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
But while Taigun looks ‘techy’ Kushaq looked like a mini Karoq from both front and back and I believe that there is a 40k discount.
Are you referring to 40K discount on Kushaq? What trim? I had posted my experience on the Kushaq thread and the SA was offering the corporate discount of 15k only on the Style 1.5 AT trim.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5205446 (Skoda Kushaq Review)
Old 29th November 2021, 16:23   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post

The features on offer, the slightly premium pricing and most importantly the interior fit and finish (or rather the lack of it) are deal breakers in my opinion. The MG Astor has taken the game forward in terms of features and interiors apart from being priced on par with the Taigun. Adding salt to the wound is the fact that VAG brags about 95 percent localisation, yet couldn't really undercut rivals in terms of pricing or outgun them in terms of equipment. An OTR price band of around 11-17L would have been ideal for this car.
While the Astor definitely has better quality interiors and a few more features, there are a few red flags I think. The fact that the only official media exposure was under ideal conditions at the BIC and the official ARAI mileage ratings are nowhere to be seen seem a little strange to me.

Add to that the fact that some essential equipment is missing from the Astor and the backseat isn't as good (for 2) as the VW twins, I'd personally stay away from it at this stage. For similar money, the Europeans offer best in class powertrains, suspension tune and fuel efficiency while offering almost all the necessary equipment with an interior that is more than acceptable.
thechinmay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 17:09   #921
BHPian

How does the features on the 1.5 Manual compare between the Kushaq and Taigun? I heard from many reviews that the Taigun 1.5 manual skimps on many features. Would like to know how is it in Kushaq.
Old 29th November 2021, 17:17   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
How does the features on the 1.5 Manual compare between the Kushaq and Taigun? I heard from many reviews that the Taigun 1.5 manual skimps on many features. Would like to know how is it in Kushaq.
On the Kushaq, it's the top end. Gets everything, except digital instrument clusters. And it's costlier by around 1.2 lacs or so.
ridehard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 17:29   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The Taigun 1.5 manual is based on the highline trim(mid variant now) it skips on projector headlamps, cruise control, lcd infotainment unit, better looking 17 inch alloys and sunroof when compared to 1.5 automatic, known as GT Topline(top variant now)

Kushaq 1.5 has manual variant based on style trim(top variant) so you get all the features which the Kushaq 1.5 AT has.

When 1.5 manual variants of kushaq and Taigun are compared, kushaq has ventilated seats, projector headlamps, 6 airbags, better looking 17 inch alloy wheels, better sound system with woofer and cruise control over Taigun. Maybe i might have missed a feature or two

What Taigun manual has is low price!

But interestingly Taigun 1.0 AT Topline has ventilated seats which Taigun 1.5 Gt Topline doesn't have.

Last edited by yesyeswe : 29th November 2021 at 17:34.
yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 17:45   #924
Senior - BHPian

I saw what I think was a Taigun in that Gold-Yellow color combination yesterday. While it looked typical VW with a very neat design with clean lines, it looked truly small. It looked even smaller than Ecosport. In fact the Kushaq felt much taller and visually a size bigger.

Is it just my eyes playing tricks or is the Taigun smaller visually than Kushaq?
Old 29th November 2021, 19:21   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I saw what I think was a Taigun in that Gold-Yellow color combination yesterday. While it looked typical VW with a very neat design with clean lines, it looked truly small. It looked even smaller than Ecosport. In fact the Kushaq felt much taller and visually a size bigger.

Is it just my eyes playing tricks or is the Taigun smaller visually than Kushaq?
I saw a few Taiguns on the road and agree with you that it does look relatively small. I don't understand what's happening with the so called CSUV segment - size is getting compact but prices are hitting through the roof! I can't imagine myself paying 18-20 big one for this segment a few years ago. Inflation or semi conductor shortage could be blamed but I guess the companies are also trying to milk the "SUV" craze to the fullest.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 29th November 2021 at 19:32.
Old 29th November 2021, 20:01   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I saw a few Taiguns on the road and agree with you that it does look relatively small. I don't understand what's happening with the so called CSUV segment - size is getting compact .
I dont think anybody wanting a 'big looking car' will shortlist Taigun, there is XL6 and Alcazar available in comparable budget range. Taigun is a loser there.

Taigun has a strictly half 5th seat, uncomfortable for long drives, but 5th seat in most cars would be uncomfortable for long drives.

Luggage space is good, Smaller than Creta but I have checked both Venue and Sonet, its larger than both of them.

What differentiates Taigun (1.5 GT) by huge margin is the drive and handling, the pleasure you get when you push the accelerator is unmatched in the segment (have driven Creta 1.4 Turbo, Astor 1.3 Turbo Sonet 1.0 turbo for comparison). For Taigun ride quality is comparable to Troc, it will leave you with a smile on highways when you decide to accelerate.

So decide what you want, this is certainly not a car if you need an imposing road presence, but definitely in contention if you are starved for parking space, need nimble handling in traffic of Bangalore or Mumbai wirh a terrific ride quality

Last edited by vinitbarve : 29th November 2021 at 20:03.
Old 29th November 2021, 21:48   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashwin View Post
The lack of virtual cockpit in any variant of the Taigun or Kushaq is a turn off. Any word of this being offered in the future?
The Taigun top-end variants do offer the digital cockpit on the 1.0 and the 1.5 engine lines. However this interpretation of the digital cockpit is quite different from the one found in the Octavia and the Audi cars. This one is a single dial type of cockpit and displays only one parameter instead of having the classic two dials on two sides that can be customised to display two different bits of information. All in all, I found this this version of the digital cockpit to be quite inferior to the one on the Octavia. Also, it is flanked on either side by static information displays that are quite large and prominent and it hard to miss the fact that this is only a partial digital cockpit. I find this combination of analog and digital quite a let down - the Harrier has a similar mixed cockpit that looks downright ugly, at least on the Taigun even the static bits light up in the same color and pretend to be digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
How would you compare the door bonnet build with those of rapid or polo?
Any observations on switches and ac vents?
I would say the bonnet is about the same weight as that of a Polo. Remember however that Polo is a much smaller vehicle and has a smaller bonnet area. So the density of the material in the Polo must be higher. As for the doors, I thought the Polo's were a tad heavier though even they did not have the Thunk that the previous Jetta or the current Octavia has. The previous generation Octavia (the first MQB car we saw in India) had a lighter build compared to the current Octavia or the Laura that came before it.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 03:22   #928
BHPian

I got an opportunity to click some images of the steering wheel and dashboard while visiting the service centre for the regular service of my Ameo DSG. Couldn’t click more as there came a bunch of other customers for delivery of their Taiguns. Saw 3 of them getting delivered in half a day.

Steering wheel looks much better than the one coming on new Škoda cars (IMHO).

Volkswagen Taigun Review-561ff6bdd7284fe6b12f39f4d138e167.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-e295382325b040caa95603488ab26f24.jpeg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-55bfa91a416f4beeb243308ec911fe94.jpeg

Lot of reflective parts in the cabin. The AC unit for example:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-b557266a171e407db25f8f156395cac8.jpeg

Wireless Charging for QI enabled phones:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-8c14dcff0267416180810379eb0d911a.jpeg
SuperSuri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:20   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
The Taigun 1.5 manual is based on the highline trim(mid variant now) it skips on projector headlamps, cruise control, lcd infotainment unit, better looking 17 inch alloys and sunroof
Taigun GT manual does get the same 10 inch infotainment system as the GT Automatic with wireless apple carplay and android auto.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 12:51   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
Taigun GT manual does get the same 10 inch infotainment system as the GT Automatic with wireless apple carplay and android auto.
What I meant was the digital cockpit, I don't know what VW calls it in their marketing terminology.

Most Viewed