Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2021, 23:25   #856
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Would definitely suggest to refill your tank before it reaches this low. Best practice will be to tank up when it's at quarter level. Fuel pump failure may not arise early but over a period of years it might/will give away. Welcome to the world of VW
Five years in VW world, 95,000 km done. Always filled up when low fuel warning light comes on, and continue driving for about 20km until a convenient petrol pump comes on the way. Not at quarter tank remaining. No problem so far due to this practice, not anticipating either.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 14:03   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
That sounds ridiculous. 10 years with my ritz and never faced any issue, mostly refilled when the tank has bottomed out. Anyone co-VW owners, with a view on this, will be grateful if you can share your experiences.
I own a 10 year old Polo and I mostly get fuel refilled when last strike is left along with warning light for Fuel. Till now I have not seen anything which has caused issue related to this.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 14:24   #858
BHPian

I have set a simple rule for refuelling. I don't refuel until MID shows range as 5kms. Have been following this practice for 6 years of Polo ownership, no issues whatsoever.
RD150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 15:04   #859
BANNED

Quote:
Would definitely suggest to refill your tank before it reaches this low. Best practice will be to tank up when it's at quarter level. Fuel pump failure may not arise early but over a period of years it might/will give away. Welcome to the world of VW
A very valid point. The fuel pump is known to heat up and fail if the fuel levels go low. Consistently allowing fuel levels to drop to very low levels before refueling have been the cause of fuel pump failure on a lot of VW / Skoda vehicles (the forum has quite a few cases on the same point) - one such thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...oda-fabia.html (Diesel Pump Failure - Skoda Fabia)

It is advisable to fill up when the tank is around the quarter level.
EV NXT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 23:37   #860
BHPian

Quote:
That sounds ridiculous. 10 years with my ritz and never faced any issue, mostly refilled when the tank has bottomed out. Anyone co-VW owners, with a view on this, will be grateful if you can share your experiences.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
VW Polo GT TSI Owner since Dec 2014 - I've never filled the tank before the orange fuel light glows (ok! may be once or twice). No issues with the fuel pump .

But I've noticed that the car does cut off a little bit when the fuel is almost empty, and the power delivery is sometimes jerky.

Note: I always use HP Power petrol; since 2014.
Old 15th November 2021, 08:33   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP Tanmay. Congrats on the Taigun and wish you many happy miles with it.
The Taigun comes with Wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay, so you will not need a cable to connect it, please check again.
Not all the variants, the Taigun comfortline gets a wired android auto / apple car play.
Old 15th November 2021, 08:43   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
I own a Vento since 2013 and now a Taigun. 80% of the time in my Vento rarely did I fill up petrol when the distance to empty showed more then 30 km or so! Never I faced this fuel pump issue! Might be stars have been smiling at me so far! However, I am not sure about Taigun as I filled up petrol only once after taking delivery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay2612 View Post
Yes I did try that but some issue in connecting the phone in wireless mode. Hence waiting to check in wired mode as I read in Android Auto forums to check that once.
Download 'Android Auto for phone screens' from Google play store. (a) Open the app, (2) go to settings, (3) enable Wireless Android Auto, (4) then open the Kebab menu, (5) find developer setting and tap the same, and (6) select 'Add wireless projection to settings'. Now wireless projection should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
The Chennai dealer charging a cool 10K for "Logistics"! God only knows how much the insurance is padded.
This is towards 'Miscellaneous handling charges' which would otherwise cost us 2x if we were to deal with those Government departments directly! On the insurance front, I really fought hard with the dealers to bring it down by around Rs.11k by compromising all India cashless claim and make the dealer forego part of his insurance agent discount.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2021 at 14:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Old 15th November 2021, 18:30   #863
BHPian

Quote:
The logic behind the “fill before last 5% rule” (as told by a kind driver who taught me how to drive 35 plus years ago), used to be “there could be some sediments / dirt / rust settled at the bottom of the tank. This could get sucked in to the system and we end up with choked fuel flow.”

Now this was another era and I am sure fuel quality has improved tremendously today and chances of impurities settled at the bottom are low, NOT totally ruled out though.

But as a rule, I fill up before I hit 10%, unless there is some compelling reason like “no gas station found” or “wallet is empty”.

Last edited by CLIX : 15th November 2021 at 18:38. Reason: typo
CLIX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 11:19   #864
BHPian

My friend is expected to get his delivery of Taigun in Kerala in the first week of December. Apparently the dealer EVM is going to get close to 400 Taigun's in the next couple of weeks and most of them are 1.5.

To those who are not aware, EVM has close to 10 showrooms spread across various districts of South Kerala. I think they are the only dealers in those districts. I don't think there are more than one dealer of VW in any district in Kerala.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 15:51   #865
BHPian

Excellent review by Sujai and Ganesh.

One query that comes to mind is that of engine braking. As some of the cylinders shut off on inclines, isn't that a safety problem in a way?
Old 16th November 2021, 16:48   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
Excellent review by Sujai and Ganesh.

One query that comes to mind is that of engine braking. As some of the cylinders shut off on inclines, isn't that a safety problem in a way?
When you are coming down an incline and your A pedal is not pressed, all cylinders are 'Shut' as in not using fuel. Transmission will hold the gear or shift down if you are applying brake. The cylinder deactivation is for highway cruising when the vehicle is maintaining a steady speed that just 2 cylinders can handle.
Old 16th November 2021, 17:06   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
When you are coming down an incline and your A pedal is not pressed, all cylinders are 'Shut' as in not using fuel. Transmission will hold the gear or shift down if you are applying brake. The cylinder deactivation is for highway cruising when the vehicle is maintaining a steady speed that just 2 cylinders can handle.
Hey Kosfactor,
Even when the a pedal is not pressed, fuel continues to flow into the chambers as in idling. That pressure keeps the speed under control. The blog mentioned that cylinders are deactivated on an incline also. (But that's not all. Even on a long 120 km/h cruise, the cylinders get deactivated on flat ground and at the hint of the slightest slopes)

Last edited by SJ410 : 16th November 2021 at 17:08. Reason: Quoting from the blog
SJ410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 17:13   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ410 View Post
Hey Kosfactor,
Even when the a pedal is not pressed, fuel continues to flow into the chambers as in idling. That pressure keeps the speed under control. The blog mentioned that cylinders are deactivated on an incline also.
When you are coming down a gradient \slope in gear, engine will be spinning at 3-4 times the idling speed powered by gravity alone. You can imagine what happens if you add fuel into it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 18:45   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
When you are coming down a gradient \slope in gear, engine will be spinning at 3-4 times the idling speed powered by gravity alone. You can imagine what happens if you add fuel into it.
The compressed fuel-air mixture acts as a control for the speed in the form of engine braking. You do not go faster because of the combustion of the fuel in the chamber. I guess that is the point of engine braking and it is pretty effective.
SJ410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 14:26   #870
BHPian

Fuel pumps are submerged into the fuel tank. This is what will happen if you run your fuel level too low:

One, usually the suction filter of the fuel pump would filter out any debris in your tank. However, if your fuel level has gone way too low, the suction filter will suck up mostly debris and cause blockage of the fuel.

Two, fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel. So you risk obliterating your fuel pump completely should it completely run out of fuel and start sucking in air.

Three, even though your fuel tank has baffles, fuel moves around in the tank when one brakes or accelerates aggressively. If the fuel level is too low, you again risk pulling in air.

While there is a low fuel light, most manufacturers will always suggest that you should not reach such a low level to refuel. Hence it is always best to refuel before the low fuel light comes on.
Newtown is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks