Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 20:48   #751
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj112 View Post
The 2 cylinders switching off while having stopped on traffic lights was clearly perceptible & seemed as of the car had shut down. Though on slight push of the accelerator they were back up. Similar on both the cars, but clearly perceptible in terms of vibrations & slightly disquieting to me.
All four cylinders (ie, the engine itself) should switch off at traffic lights, unless you had the Auto-start stop feature disabled.

Sure that wasn't the case and it was only going to two cylinder mode?

Quote:
For me they are in the consideration set only because of the good engine & lack of options in Sedans in the 15-20L range.
If you can wait - Slavia will be unveiled towards the end of this year with the launch happening by late Jan or Feb. Virtus will be unveiled around that time with the launch happening in April.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th October 2021 at 20:52.
Old 12th October 2021, 22:19   #752

Quote:
Sure that wasn't the case and it was only going to two cylinder mode?
May be that is what happened. If so, it was too soon for the engine to switch off (at times as soon as 10 secs). Even the SA had no idea (Maseyy Cars - Gurgaon) about the feature/ frequency.
Separately, sot sure of the impact on the engine with the frequent on n off

Quote:
If you can wait - Slavia will be unveiled towards the end of this year with the launch happening by late Jan or Feb. Virtus will be unveiled around that time with the launch happening in April.
Yup, have been following both, however considering how Skoda stretches the launch for 6 months + the Chip issue expected to continue, i feel post initial niggles, Slavia will be a viable option only around Apr/May at the earliest.
Having sold off my Superb last year & managed due to WFH, i doubt i will be able to stretch till then ,with office likely to open in the next couple of months. Just missed a pre worshipped Octavia L&K 2019 last week (in great condition), life would have been great if that would have worked out.
Thanks for the reply & suggestion though.
Old 13th October 2021, 12:24   #753
BHPian

As pointed out the other BHPian, The engine shuts down completely based on if the Start/Stop system is on or off when the vehicle comes to complete stop.
However there are other parameters checked before the engine is shut down. I have been driving TRoc and have experienced. This is from the Troc owners manual.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-whatsapp-image-20211013-12.18.09-pm.jpeg

Also the 2 cylinder mode or Active cylinder kicks in when in cruise mode or when there is not much load on the engine.

Quote:
Test drove the Kushaq 1.5 AT & the Taigun 1.5 AT back to back today.
[*]The 2 cylinders switching off while having stopped on traffic lights was clearly perceptible & seemed as of the car had shut down. Though on slight push of the accelerator they were back up. Similar on both the cars, but clearly perceptible in terms of vibrations & slightly disquieting to me.[/list]

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2021 at 19:15. Reason: Typo
CarSprit_ssk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:42   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenath13 View Post
To the potential Taigun buyers here, what is the popular colour choice for all of you ? ...
@sreenath13 Here's my 2c on colour choice.

- Betweent the Carbon Steel Grey and the other colours on offer, the black plastic panels on the Taigun exterior are highlighted less in the Grey. [See if that matters to you.]

- My second choice was Red. That colour is a fun colour IMHO. The conrtasting black plastic panels made the vehicle look rugged and "off roader-ish". However, Red, I thought was a bit too bright for me. Still a very nice shade.

- Grey was my top choice; was more understated [as I wanted] and the black plastic panels blended in well. To me a polished clean Grey looked better than the Red.
CLIX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 16:09   #755

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
@sreenath13 Here's my 2c on colour choice.

- Betweent the Carbon Steel Grey and the other colours on offer, the black plastic panels on the Taigun exterior are highlighted less in the Grey. [See if that matters to you.].
Thank you for sharing ! Yeah I have had some time to look at most colours since I posted. You are right about the grey plastics, they blend well with carbon steel and for me I feel them contrasting with body colour is better. For now I am stuck on Curcuma Yellow(bling!, I know ) but with the praise for red I heard from others, I will see if red is available to check out in flesh.
sreenath13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 00:24   #756
BHPian

just came across this article on Taigun being available on subscription model

https://www.carwale.com/news/volkswa...gram-in-india/
Old 16th October 2021, 22:01   #757
BHPian

Visited a VW showroom to test drive the 1 lit MT Topline (was'nt interested in the AT). Need to let go of my Ford Fusion 1.6 petrol ( which simply still rocks) since it finishes 15 years early next year.

Having also been a proud Polo TDi owner for 8 years now, first thing was to open and shut the driver side door to listen for the 'thump'. I felt, there was a noticeable lack of the same. I then rapped against the metal door and it did feel not as solid as my existing Polo.

Insides. The plastic is overt and very Maruti like and i quite didnt like that. Sound, not a fan of it any more ( apart from subtle music or oldies) so was nt very observant, but seemed ok to me for my hearing pleasure. A few raps here and there on the dashboard seemed like a wee bit below the Polo again in terms of solidity. AC vents seemed std fits from Polo to here. The aircon panel again, glare in its finish and seemed rather tacky. Infotainment panel, did not bother much, but was concerned about google maps, which i was told, the inbuilt apps pairs to one's mobile and pairs the google map screen from the phone to the display. That seemed acceptable, though it would drain my phone battery. 02 charging points just below the aircon panel, micro usb. So iphone users need to get a cable and also check the outputs of the micro usb ( has anyone checked that or is it a std, am sorry am not aware )

The Drive. Pert engine. Turbo kicks in at around 60 kmph and the car leaps, though not as much as a TDi does.That said, from a red light , acceleration, manual shift ups were a breeze and smooth. Engine sound throaty. I could'nt make out it's 3 pot or a 4 pot and frankly i could'nt care since it behaved superbly (just saying) since it's mostly going to do city drives with maybe a couple of long drives (600 km plus) on vacations to the mountains twice a year. When driving fast, i normally downshift whilst slowing to enable better handling and control) and the car felt totally so whilst still raring to go when throttled. The suspension seemed fine else id have noticed some thing amiss. The drive was on a metaled road on a fri afternoon with traffic and then some spaces with open roads. I personally like the hand rest both front and rear.

Rear space legroom seemed bigger than the Seltos. My Beagle lover to panker all over so that is important to me ( he goes with us on all vacations)

I am personally a fan of VW and prefer them to all else in this and lower segments since the safety, cost of ownership and solid feel on any expressway at all speeds is something one cannot put a value on. And VW once sold, the dealership does not want to see your face for the next 12 months ( unless you have a problem). First service is about 9k plus. But, most other brands ( i dont know about Kia and MG) want the mandatory 1k, 6 monthly and 12 monthly servicing ( your warranty is void otherwise) which costs more than an annual VW service. Please correct me here if it's not.

That being said. I just read the Astor review today. Sounds better VFM. Dont know about the build quality and cost of ownership. If someone could advise. But personally, i dont trust 'chini' products and i have this thing about them going down the GM way down the line. Notwithstanding that, would appreciate comments in favour of the Astor.

Pricing. I think,VW has reduced features in the AT simply to keep pricing under control. Sunroof is a friggin waste in India, unless one drives only in the mountains given our pollution and noise levels in the city. Exit of hot air when aircon is switched on is pretty much not worth the cost. The wife (drives the Polo to work ) does nt care for too much for ventilated seats since the aircon does a good job. Between LEDs with DRLs on a AT v/s Halogens on the same model MT, not sure if its really matters. Personally i find LEDs bad since most Indians drive on high beam whether in the city or on the highway (and i dont know why the RTOs dont ever challan and teach people/ put hoardings on this) and they can really blind the opposite lane driver. Last is digital display on the AT v/s the std on the MT. Individual choice. Nice to have, but would'nt miss it. 6 airbags should have been std on all , but again a pricing issue i guess

So given the above I am, being a loyal VW owner again tempted to go for the 1 lit MT ( Highline or Topline) is my reason for posting here. Also anything favouring the Astor or any other brand for that matter. Not a M&M fan since my mechanic for the last 29 odd years gives me inputs on these, similarly Skoda is a no.

Would appreciate comments and suggestions.

Last edited by darthvader5000 : 16th October 2021 at 22:03. Reason: spello
darthvader5000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 14:40   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
02 charging points just below the aircon panel, micro usb. So iphone users need to get a cable and also check the outputs of the micro usb
The ports are USB-C type ports (newer type) and will fit the iPhones! It will be the older Android phones that will need an adapter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
I am personally a fan of VW and prefer them to all else in this and lower segments since the safety, cost of ownership and solid feel on any expressway at all speeds is something one cannot put a value on.
That being said. I just read the Astor review today. Sounds better VFM. Dont know about the build quality and cost of ownership. ... But personally, i dont trust 'chini' products and i have this thing about them going down the GM way down the line....
Since you already have a strong preference for VW, my suggestion would be to just go ahead with them. However good other brands may seem in some areas, I feel you will miss the VW driving dynamics and this will always come and bite you every time you drive it enthusiastically (This is nothing persons, most of us tend to remember negatives much more than positives) Whether you want to go with Taigun now, or wait out for 6/12 months to get niggles sorted out, or want to consider alternatives like upcoming sedan or TROC is your choice based on your budget, time constraints and body style preference.
TheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 19:53   #759
BHPian

Here goes my Taigun's first long trip review on the Dasara weekend

Volkswagen Taigun Review-ganesh.jpg
Car: Taigun 1.5 DSG GT
Drive: Mumbai-Wai-Satara- Pune- Mumbai, about 550 KMs

Attached summary of my trip

Volkswagen Taigun Review-trip-summary.jpg

The drive was smooth, acceleration was linear. Turbo lag was noticable but very subtle (unlike venue/ Sonet turbo, where the lag felt much more prominent). The best part of the drive was the power, the car begs to be driven fast. Overtaking/ accelerating at 120-130kmph felt easy. D mode was at times found lacking in power while overtaking/ need for sudden acceleration. But the S mode would bring that delight with a butter smooth acceleration.

I drove in D mode for 95% of the trip, used S mode for faster accelerations/ overtaking or brakings before toll/ signals. Used Manual mode at the toll queues, drove in M1 and to move to higher gears and optimize fuel efficiency, where I drove to M7, while mechatronix went for D6.

Will be good to hear joshmachine's feedback if this qualifies right usage of modes on the DSG

Seat cushion was exceptionally good. Cushion at the hamstrings as well as the back was comforting. My friend who just bought a Safari too agreed that the seat design was better than Safari and felt really comfortable.

We have our driver seat closer to the steering. With the 2 dimensional steering adjustment, digital display visibility could be adjusted. Didnt notice any blind spots during the drive.

I was not a fan of the sun roof, and having a car sunroof was incidental than a choice. But drive in the evening felt nice and more spacious with a Sunroof.

Digital display is adequate. I was initially disappointed, but now getting used to the functions.

Left side top displays "Auto On Off Mode". I keep this mode on in the city, off on highways. Dont want the engine to turn on/off on toll queues, dont mind the engine turning off on the traffic signals.

Right side bottom, displays the cruise control statuses. Will put up a separate post explaining left side controls on the steering and Cruise control mode. One con, that Newtown/ Neville pointed out, the total car KMs are not displayed when the cruise control is activated.

Luggage space is large and more than what we need, dont have a comparison benchmark here.

Screen clarity and size is very good, still getting used to the functionality

Cons -
1. My maruti's widest part was the bumper, hence that was the impact area for any of the scratches. Taigun's widest part is its door lining, scratched there are likely to be more prominent and expensive to clean.
2. There is a scope for the sunroof to remain partially open; without the anyone noticing it. So do ensure if it is properly closed.
3. I didnt like the one touch AC System. The buttons were sensitive and an inadvertent touch would result in change in AC settings.
4. There are times when I miss the front view camera, especially till I get a full sense of the car dimensions.
5. I like the old age Keyed cars, where the key had a designated slot to store it. Not unusual for both of us to be searching for the key.

Worst part of the drive, Wife refused to vacate the driver's seat, she drove as much as I did during the trip (on my old car the ratio was 75/ 25 in my favour). Looks like I will have part away more with my driving time.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-wai.jpg

Now the fuel efficiency part...

About 70% on Highways; 20% in cities (includes bad toll queue at Navi Mumbai, Moderate/Low queues on other roads; 10% on interior roads mix of kuccha roads and asphalt 2 lane roads.

Trip average of ~15 KMPL

Peak average ~23.5 KMPL, on Pune Vashi strectch (it involves a downhill)

Volkswagen Taigun Review-peak.jpg

Eco - mode display appears at the right bottom next to the fuel remaining symbol as "eco"
Eco Mode was up for short spans, seldom exceeded 1 min. Any acceleration or braking or change of gears led to disabling the Eco mode. one hardly feels any change in driving when the mode is on.

My return trip fuel efficiency was 19.3, Pune to Dadar drive involves down hill from Lonavala to Khalapur, hence higher efficiency, but got compensated due to long queue at the Vashi toll bridge

Last edited by vinitbarve : 17th October 2021 at 19:59.
vinitbarve is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 21:09   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
A Taigun GT Plus MT in the offing? Seen in the portal:

Attachment 2211150
Just reviving this question and checking if anyone has heard of or is aware of any plans VW might have of a Topline/GT Plus MT in the near future.

As it is, it's baffling why VW should think that anyone desirous of that excellent 1.5 engine in its manual form should be content without the features that the Kushaq counterpart carries!

I remember seeing an interview with Ashish Gupta and his struggling to give a convincing answer on this point. With the 1.5 manual being, arguably, the most "driver's car" in the Taigun line-up, doubt if enthusiasts should have a problem coughing up the premium for those features, especially the 6 airbag set-up, among others.
RPM1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 13:03   #761
BHPian

I took delivery of my Taigun on Dussehra. I am an atheist and don't care of all these special days, but at best would have got the delivery just 2 days earlier anyway. So obliged to request by mom.

Still, taking delivery on these "special days" does have its perks:
Volkswagen Taigun Review-1.jpg

Yours truly looking very happy.
Volkswagen Taigun Review-2.jpg

And the correct team-bhp sticker to be put on this car
Volkswagen Taigun Review-3.jpg

Some long drives coming up in Diwali time, will update with the experience.
mandarpotdar is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:02   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
Here goes my Taigun's first long trip review on the Dasara weekend
---
I drove in D mode for 95% of the trip, used S mode for faster accelerations/ overtaking or brakings before toll/ signals. Used Manual mode at the toll queues, drove in M1 and to move to higher gears and optimize fuel efficiency, where I drove to M7, while mechatronix went for D6.

Will be good to hear joshmachine's feedback if this qualifies right usage of modes on the DSG
Vinit, great to see your first trip with the Taigun

Thanks for calling me out but I am no expert to qualify your usage of the DSG per se

However, from my own personal experience, I can very well relate to your drive and comment that majority of trips can be comfortably done in the "D" mode, without breaking a sweat.

You have mentioned that you switched to "S" mode while braking before toll/signals. In my view, there is no particular need to switch to S for braking in general. The S mode typically tends to hold on to those gears for bit longer as compared to the D mode, but that shouldn't be clubbed with braking in general. You can continue to use the D mode and apply brakes before approaching toll booth/signals.

The use of Manual mode is rather more efficient for engine braking or for slow-speed/crawling traffic, as you have rightly done.
As and when you want to increase the speed with clear roads ahead, it might be ergonomically better to switch back to D or S modes and let the gearbox decide the best speed for you instead of manually changing to higher gears such as M6 or M7.

Hope this helps!
Enjoy your car and keep on posting many such experiences with lots of pictures.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:16   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbarve View Post
My return trip fuel efficiency was 19.3, Pune to Dadar drive involves down hill from Lonavala to Khalapur, hence higher efficiency, but got compensated due to long queue at the Vashi toll bridge
Great trip report. Those are some great mileage figures. I generally average about 19-20 kmpl on the Pune - Mumbai journey with moderate traffic in my Polo GT. Better figures in a crossover with ~50% more power is really impressive.

I really think this is one major advantage in favour of the German twins. With the cylinder deactivation tech, the real world mileage seems to be much better than the direct competition - especially on the more sporty variants.
Old 18th October 2021, 15:23   #764
BHPian

I don't know if I am late to the party but here is a spec comparison I did for myself. I am in the market for a AT car for about 18L on road in Gurgaon. The options are Taigun 1L Topline (and all segments below), Kushaq 1L Style AT, Creta SX IVT and Seltos HTX IVT. All petrol models since NCR has a 10 year rule. Not that I intend to keep the car for that long but resale drops when your car has only 2-3 years left before the RC goes for renewal.

My choice was Taigun 1L Topline AT for reasons below:
1. None of the other cars offer 6 air bags.
2. Cosmetic feature wise also, all cars get Electric Sunroof but Seltos does not get wireless charging. Creta does not wireless android auto apple car play. Taigun and Kushaq get both. Case in point, Taigun gets all.
3. Creta loses out on telescoping steering which all three get.
4. Both VAGs do not get air purifier which Koreans get. It is a miss but I would weight wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play over that.
5. Yes, Taigun & Kushaq have not been crash tested but Seltos has it does not inspire confidence. I would be very surprised if Taigun Kushaq scored the same as Seltos but even then, some advanced safety features of multi-collision breaking, brake assist are definitely an advantage in the VAGs.
6. Another safety feature according to me is auto dimming IRVM, which also the Creta loses out on. All three have those.
7. The window switches do not have background light in Koreans (Creta def.), but the VAGs have.

Some advantages of the Koreans
1. I prefer the linear acceleration of CVT/IVTs over ATs with TSI engines so the Koreans score well here for me.
2. Re-sale. Koreans should sell well by a mile. Seltos' after sales figure are promising.
3. ASS. Hyundai has 6 dealers in my vicinity in Gurgaon. Kia has 2. Skoda & VW, 2 each.
4. Service cost. It is a given I guess.

The only and really the only reason I am hesitant in buying is to know if Taigun is also exhibiting EPC failure traits. I can never buy Kushaq knowing it does because I will never have the peace of mind in driving it on highways.
kaustubhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:29   #765
BHPian

I would like to offer some suggestion on the insurance bit for any prospective buyers of VAGs. If you prefer return to invoice insurance on the cars and I personally would advice so also since vehicle thefts are extremely common in NCR, negotiations will help. VW Sohna quoted 61K for the fully covered protection from Bajaj Allianz, whereas Skoda Mega Mall quoted 78K. I spoke to another dealer of VW MG Road who after drawing final chart, gave me a 50% discount and quoted 38K from Tata AIG.

Catch? Yes. My VW Udaipur dealer told me VW has a tie-up with United Insurance and Bajaj Allianz all over the country, which means cashless insurance claim everywhere. Tata AIG has tie up with that particular dealership which meant cashless treatment in that station but not elsewhere. I was not ready to take that risk because it defeats the very fundamentals of cashless claims. I asked my VW dealer in Sohna to give me a decent quote from United, which after discussion, was finalized at 40K (full coverage). This is 1L Topline/Style.
kaustubhp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed