Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 16:34   #631
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

The only other reasoning I can think of - VW is using the same steering wheel as Topline AT and GT+ DSG for the sake of paddle shifters, and hence the dummy cruise buttons.

Could have just given the cruise control function too - would have been a nice value add. Makes sense if it just a mistake in the brochure.

Highline MT should be having the other wheel I posted above, shared with the GT manual.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th September 2021 at 16:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 16:43   #632
BHPian

Taigun pricelist from B.U.Bhandari, Pune:

Volkswagen Taigun Review-taigun_pricelist.jpg

Checking with SA what is this "Depot Charges" and what is included in the "Accessories".
mandarpotdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 17:05   #633
BHPian

The European Siblings would have hit it out of the park if the Taigun and Kushaq had dropped around 2015 (when Creta was just creating this market of CSUV in the 15-20L price range). Even 2018-19 would have been a brilliant time to launch, given that outside of Creta and the Brezza no other product existed in this category and a bit long in the tooth XUV 500 and Storme just above this category.

Now? In a crowded market - Creta, Seltos, Astor coming up, Breeza, the Hector, Harrier, upcoming XUV 700 (though the later 3 are just above the Kushaq / Creta category), it needed a compelling value proposition if Vision MQB IN was going to move volumes.

Without it, it is back to the very small "Enthusiast market".

The value proposition could have been feature laden (Which these cars are not), price (definitely not on par with what the competition offers) or a mix of these two.

I seriously wonder what the boffins at VAG think - and no, "safety" is not a reason for costs to go up - the Astor is rumored to be a 4-5* rated car and likely will be 10-15% cheaper than the VAG offerings WITH an entire laundry list of more features.

I hope for the next product in the MQB IN line up whichever segment they may be, the VAG group reaches out to the mass market beyond the niche enthusiasts. A product that is feature laden with good driving dynamics, priced competitively is what the doctor ordered. Kia, SAIC, M&M, TaMO and Hyundai get it, it appears as though VAG so far hasn't understood what makes the Indian market tick.
Old 24th September 2021, 18:19   #634
BHPian

The car looks stunning! ( Still in this segment, my first preference on mere looks is Seltos ) and the price is as expected. I guess this is going to be the default choice of many enthusiasts who care less on features. Sincerely hope that Skoda Kushaq's issues are not carry forwarded here. I think it is going to grab some market , perhaps it is gonna be the most selling VW car in India if they do it right
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 18:25   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Without it, it is back to the very small "Enthusiast market".

The value proposition could have been feature laden (Which these cars are not), price (definitely not on par with what the competition offers) or a mix of these two.
Not only the enthusiast but the safety conscious as well. The number of people who did not board the Kia-Hyundai bandwagon on this count is significant I would guess. For this enthusiast and/or safety conscious, they have a much needed option regardless of how well or badly these two cars ultimately end up doing.

I also wonder that if they had planned to clone Kia-Hyundai on all strategical counts why would have anyone bought their cars given Kia Hyundai have a far greater reach and a roomier cabin. Looks would then have been the only differentiator.
abhishek_hch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 20:30   #636
Senior - BHPian

This isn't the Volkwagen I'm used to. Doors don't have that 'solid' quality. In fact the driver side door was 'rattly'. Contrary to what people spoke of, the bonnet does flex when pressed. And I'm pressing it gently there. The roof liner does look tacky. I'm out checking the car. Shall post more observations once back home

Last edited by Sebring : 24th September 2021 at 20:35.
Sebring is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 21:08   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Can you please share a clear image. This one is not visible at all. Thanks
I hope this works. Apologies for being a noob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Taigun Pricelist 2021.pdf (114.8 KB, 303 views)
armumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 21:25   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The only other reasoning I can think of - VW is using the same steering wheel as Topline AT and GT+ DSG for the sake of paddle shifters, and hence the dummy cruise buttons.
I checked out Taigun few hours before and the Highline car on display has the exact same steering controls as the GT Plus. The Cruise Control buttons were present and the SA was very confident that they are not dummy buttons!

I am only hoping that VW does not do the reverse and remove this later to make the brochure correct

For me, Highline ticked almost of the boxes with cruise control and paddle shifters on offer, but I am going to miss the additional 4 airbags & LED headlamps. I can live without sunroof, leather seats, ventilated seats and the other smaller convenience features.

Last edited by TheWanderer : 24th September 2021 at 21:35.
TheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 21:41   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Contrary to what people spoke of, the bonnet does flex when pressed. And I'm pressing it gently there.
It is even more shocking that it does flex right next an edge of the panel, where the tendency to deform is lesser because of the bend in the sheet mental.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 21:58   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It is even more shocking that it does flex right next an edge of the panel, where the tendency to deform is lesser because of the bend in the sheet mental.
I have heard and seen videos about this but i didnt believe as thats not typical VW.
Let the forum share more info on this.
I was little hesitant in sharing those videos but now it seems its true.
Old 24th September 2021, 21:59   #641
BHPian

Cost cutting very evident from all the reviews. A 20L car without noise insulation under the bonnet...wow! Will be a niche product.
WindRide is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 00:40   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the bonnet does flex when pressed.
I believe that's an MQB trait. As I mentioned before on the Kushaq thread, our MQB Octavia does it too and I don't think it's specific to the Kushaq/Taigun. Then again, our Polo does feel better screwed together than the Octavia in many places. The deformation of the hood may or may not have something to do with the headform impact tests introduced in Europe around the time, although I'm not entirely sure how much of a role the exterior sheet metal has in that too. Rattly doors are an area for concern, though. They're definitely not something you'd expect from a Volkswagen. The roof liner looks particularly nasty and unfinished and I won't be surprised if people have it replaced in the aftermarket very soon.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 08:15   #643
Senior - BHPian

When Sonet was launched, I was there 'first day, first show'. The bonnet was so heavy I couldn't lift it. Felt really solid. I was really impressed. But later, in a few weeks, the TD vehicle that came in had very 'flexy' steel being used. Even here, this Taigun is definitely not the one journos have test driven. For example look at the spare-wheel footwell of the showroom display model and the one in our review. No paint there now. So changes have been made. The 'plastic chrome' used for the GT badging and even in the light enclosure looked very garish. Passenger side roof lights had jammed and were not switching off. The infotainment had 'packed up' in a just a few hours of customers using it. Cabin, being on the low side, ingress/egress isn't 'slide smooth' for passengers. Even the boot had depth, not width. so you need to lift the luggage and place it in. Rear seat could have been wider. Right now, just the two of us could sit in comfort. It's not a three seater. Driver seat headrest was a wee bit high, and I couldn't adjust it for my comfort. From outside, the car looks stately but this isn't the VW I knew. Then I headed to the Polo, sheet metal quality is great. So is everything else, inside and out. That car is a proud Volkswagen, and still carries their legacy.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_7258.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_7240.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_7248.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 25th September 2021 at 08:35.
Sebring is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 08:19   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

The Taigun Vs. Kushaq confusion?

Volkswagen Taigun Review-2.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 09:46   #645
BHPian

Quote:
This isn't the Volkwagen I'm used to. Doors don't have that 'solid' quality. In fact the driver side door was 'rattly'. Contrary to what people spoke of, the bonnet does flex when pressed. And I'm pressing it gently there. The roof liner does look tacky. I'm out checking the car. Shall post more observations once back home
https://Youtu.be/r6m3B6l3eHA
Company which wants 10% market share and which committed strategic blunder already by not bringing the diesel is beset now with such quality issues along with EPC (for now it is Skoda). This is not VW to say the least. They have managed to kill the solidity. 'Managed' because it was not possible to kill the solidity of VW earlier. Had it been any other Indian manufacturer, reactions would have been much adverse. Would be surprised if XUV700 does not take advantage of this as the target audience is an overlap.
VRSriram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks