Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2021, 06:11   #661
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

The service package is definitely a shamshow by VW.

My GT costs me about 8.5k for a 15k kms service, while my friends 1.0Tsi is about 7.5k for the same service.

They are claiming a 30~ Paise/Km cost which ends up being about 5000 for the service which isnt true at all.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 09:45   #662
BHPian

Hi Gm all. In your opinion which tranny should I go for AT or MT? What do I lose from opting for a MT over an AT

There’s a ₹1.60 lakh difference between the two Topline 1.0 variants and I’m wondering what am I losing out on if I choose the AT over the MT.

Perspective - I’m over 60; live in a Mumbai wester suburb; don’t do the B2B office commute; drive at least once a month to Pune; drive daily but never more than say 15km at a stretch on average, most times just like 6-7kms
Old 26th September 2021, 10:44   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
Hi Gm all. In your opinion which tranny should I go for AT or MT? What do I lose from opting for a MT over an AT

There’s a ₹1.60 lakh difference between the two Topline 1.0 variants and I’m wondering what am I losing out on if I choose the AT over the MT.

Perspective - I’m over 60; live in a Mumbai wester suburb; don’t do the B2B office commute; drive at least once a month to Pune; drive daily but never more than say 15km at a stretch on average, most times just like 6-7kms
I am not sure about the traffic in Mumbai suburb, but if you drive mainly around the city in dense traffic, then go for automatic transmission especially with the 1.0L engine.

I don’t like pressing the clutch in dense Bangalore traffic. Sometimes it hurts quite a lot despite my car has one of the smoothest and soft clutch.

Advantage of AT
1. Easy to drive around the city.
2. Your left leg will thank you.
3. Unlike the 1.5 DSG, 1.0 has Aisin (Toyota) gearbox and are reliable.
4. Most people opted for automatic (except AMT gearbox variants), don’t want to go for manual for their next car.

Disadvantages of AT
1. They are slightly thirsty compared to manual.
2. AT in general is slightly complex compared to MT and not many have expertise outside the authorised service centre.
3. Hardcore enthusiast will not like AT except maybe ZF or DSG gearboxes.

I don’t recommend 1.5 DSG. The transmission on the 1.5 is bound to fail in our traffic conditions. They are also very expensive. Personally, I recommend you to go for 1.0 automatic.
amvj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 10:55   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
The service package is definitely a shamshow by VW.

They are claiming a 30~ Paise/Km cost which ends up being about 5000 for the service which isnt true at all.
First of all they claimed 37 paise/km for the Taigun 1L TSI version which comes based on the service package being offered (22k for 4 years). Second, the claim of 30 paise/km was for the 1L MPI version of the Polo and not the TSI version.

It is actually good from VW that now they have atleast given an online tool to calculate service cost and show the service guys to adhere to that, recently I saved 4k for a friend of mine who was being charged 15.5K for a 3 year run Polo TDI based on that service calculator.

Service Cost Calculator Link.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 12:31   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post

3. The mid variant seems extremely stripped down for something called the "Highline". Atleast getting the set of LED lamps would have been a saving grace.
Absolutely agree with this. LED headlights is definitely a deal braker for a car worth around 17 lakhs. Maybe they understand that they will never achieve the numbers to get a certain amount of profit so they went with these kind of absurd configurations. But that will lead to lower sales. I think their strategy team is either too arrogant or simply don't understand the basics. Then i maybe wrong. After all, they must be top notch executives. q
Pras92003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 14:00   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anis Ahmed View Post
3. Anti-pinch power windows (all 4)
4. One-touch up/down windows (all 4)
I simply can't understand why they would delete features like this that make a Volkswagen a Volkswagen
ashwin1397 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 17:01   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1397 View Post
I simply can't understand why they would delete features like this that make a Volkswagen a Volkswagen
I am with you on this one. I am just hoping (dreaming) that they may bring it back in the next upgrade (or at least bring it as optional package). I am willing to pay for it !!

Last edited by xrules : 26th September 2021 at 17:01. Reason: had too many dots in the end.
Old 26th September 2021, 17:04   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrules View Post
I am with you on this one. I am just hoping (dreaming) that they may bring it back in the next upgrade (or at least bring it as optional package). I am willing to pay for it !!
Agreed! I would pay for the dual horn that they used to offer in the older cars as well.
ashwin1397 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 19:55   #669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

drive daily but never more than say 15km at a stretch on average, most times just like 6-7kms
I just think A/T is invaluable for the convenience. If its in your budget (both purchase and ongoing) then you should definitely select the convenience of A/T. Western suburbs, like most other parts of Mumbai are absolutely horrible for driving, what with perpetual digging up, metro work and jams for whatever else is the flavour of the season.

I drive less than 5 kms one way to office in Mumbai, occasionally drive to Pune etc too from Mumbai and I would not buy an M/T ever again. Simply swear by the convenience of automatics.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 20:22   #670
BHPian

Today had some time to visit showroom near by. It was empty. Though this showroom does see lesser footfall but i was expecting few more folks.

As it was relatively empty got some time to see the cars closely.

Most of the points are already covered by all folks. I will try to add my 2 cents which could have been done better. Red, silver & yellow color was on display. Red is a good pick.

Tyres:

Goodyear Tyre profile on GT+ (205/55/R17) will fetch lower value in case of upgrade straight out of showroom.

Reason: No other company apart from Pirelli has availability in India for stock to stock change.

I would definitely recommend an upgrade to better rubber.

Chrome: Volkswagen has overdone chrome. It's not in their DNA. Dechrome option is required.

Owner Manual: Yes it is same for Taigun & Tcross. It is a small thin booklet 147 pages in total.

Sunvisor: This is not extendable. Which is a bummer in my opinion for a car at this price. What happen to practicality?

Lights & switches These look ancient and qualify for lowest benchmark across in the segment and below. Tactile feel of switches is very shoddy.

Plastic: Hard plastics every where. Expected as TROC has the same. Next generation TROC will see generational shift in interior. No offence AC vents looks and feel cheap.

Subjective color combination: Silver GT+ with red color insert interiors didn't gel. There is no cohesiveness. I just don't get it.

IVRM: Has limited visibility with middle headrest raised. If the middle passenger happens to be tall then expect some discomfort in have a clear view.

Having pointed out the above points there are lot of positives too. Those are already covered on review and previous post.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4903.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4901.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4906.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4908.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4909.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4910.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4913.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4911-1.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4916.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4917.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4938.jpg  

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img4927.jpg  

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 26th September 2021 at 20:26.
CircleOfLife is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 10:58   #671
BHPian

Quote:

AT without a doubt.

The 1.0 is mated to a trouble-free, no-nonsense AT gearbox that should serve you well in all sorts of conditions. You also have paddle shifters for that occasional extra control.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 12:11   #672

Not sure of anyone covered this regarding the rear seat. I found that there was wasted space (maybe structural element) that extends beyond the seat sides. So if 3 were to sit, two of them would have to lean against that hard plastic which rests on the bone. This is very uncomfortable even for a minute of seating. Below is the image of the same, referring the hard plastic beside the seatbelt.
Volkswagen Taigun Review-pxl_20210925_083522430.jpg

I had not see this any of the other csuvs. I do not recollect if this is the same in Kushaq but my wife did not complain in any of the other cars ( had tried creta, seltos, Kushaq, city, rapid, sonet baleno, vento).

I'm not sure of this is a necessary element, but without these protrusions, it could have easily seated 3 at the back and would have been my go to option, eyes closed.
crazy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:28   #673
BHPian

Visited VW Nerul yesterday to have a look at Taigun

The vehicle looks larger than its physical dimensions in the Curcuma Yellow colour. There were not too many prospective customers in the showroom.

They had a test car ready. Test car was fully loaded GT DSG model in the Curcuma Yellow colour. They had 3 more display cars parked outside. Taigun looks understated in Candy white colour.

Compared to the Kushaq, the front fascia looks more protruding and i would say slightly aggressive (looks are subjective)

Doors are lighter than the normal weight expected from VW cars. Till 4000 rpm cabin noise was less in stationary mode. (there is no cladding / thick cloth covering in the bonnet inside part which is glaring miss ).

Taigun digested undulated roads, potholes and sharp corners well. The pick up is linear and decent. The power delivery reminds me of the Fabia petrol (Taigun has better technology) which I first drove in 2007/08.

I should say the showroom sales person who attended to me was better trained than the Kia showroom next to the VW showroom. Sales guy knows he is speaking to a potential customer of a car with a 20+ lakhs on road price.

My final opinion on the car good to drive, slightly pricey for what it offers.

PS: Mods, I'm posting after a long hiatus. Apologies for any typos or deviation from guidelines

Last edited by Drivethru : 27th September 2021 at 14:31.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 14:44   #674
BHPian

Saw the car in the flesh today and took a TD of both 1.0L AT and 1.5L AT. Loved the way it drives, especially the 1.5L AT. Both seemed to handle the small potholes quite well but I felt as if the 1.0L did it better. Maybe it's the lower kerb weight or maybe I simply imagined it. Not sure. A few other points:
  1. The turning radius is ~5.2m as opposed to 5.05m as mentioned in the initial brochure.
  2. The highline variant seems really stripped off of many creature comforts. It seems as if it has been placed in the lineup simply to nudge customers towards the topline.
  3. BU Bhandari, Pune seems to be giving a 10k loyalty discount for existing VW customers who buy the Taigun.
  4. The NVH levels are fairly the same between the 1.0L and 1.5L inside the cabin despite the 1.0 being a 3 cylinder engine.
  5. The interior plastics have been commented upon a lot. The only point I would add is that if you do apply a sticker to the coloured part of the dashboard and then decide to remove it for any reason, the plastic retains a LOT of the adhesive residue. A lot more than say the plastic in the Polo. A good cleaning session would be needed to remove this residue. I observed this as the vehicles had some sort of a sticker that was then removed before being displayed in the showroom or being used for a TD.
  6. I found the rear seats quite comfortable. I am 5'11 and had set the front seat as per my driving position. The only quirk is that to get into the rear, you need to take a good step over the edge of the door frame. The floor of the rear seat is quite low as compared to the doorframe. It's almost like stepping over a log of wood while hiking. It's not a deal breaker for me, but just something that I need to keep in mind considering some old folks that I may have as passengers. It's something I observed with the Compass as well.
  7. The SA says the fuel pump issues observed in the Kushaq have been addressed in the Taigun.
  8. For the digital cockpit, the warning at 80kmph approximately covers the top half of the speedometer. So when you get the ping and if you try to look at the speed via the speedometer, you cant. The warning blocks it. You need to rely on the digital display of the speed value to the right side of the cluster.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th September 2021 at 07:41. Reason: typo
MegaWhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 19:13   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaWhat View Post
Saw the car in the flesh today and took a TD of both 1.0L AT and 1.5L AT. Loved the way it drives, especially the 1.5L AT. Both seemed to handle the small potholes quite well but I felt as if the 1.0L did it better.
  1. The highline variant seems really stripped off of many creature comforts. It seems as if it has been placed in the lineup simply to nudge customers towards the topline.
I'm still waiting for a TD of the AT/DSG variants from the dealership.

Can you please confirm if the 1.0 AT Highline has Cruise Control?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks