Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2022, 11:45   #1366
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteon206 View Post
Had a word with the service manager, which is when i learnt about the existence of anti-friction strip... Details about the strip itself - it's made by Saint Gobain, attaching pics of the fix and the bill for reference.

Following this fix done at 8300km I've never faced the creaking issue again. The car has run 11900km so far.
This is excellently detailed. Thank you so much for taking the time to record this experience here. I agree, this is a quality problem and customer shouldn't have to bear any expense but at this point I just want the issue gone. And yes, my gut feel is that the Rs.400 was for all doors.

Quote:
But one issue i face is that the one touch up of the driver side window doesn't work properly most of the time - the window rolls up halfway and rolls back down, whenever this happens it happens twice. The third attempt it stops midway, following which the one touch up just gives way, I've got so used to this routine that I don't even attempt one touch up now.
I had the same issue which I reported here on the forum as well. They reset the mechanism during the last check up and it has not happened again. So, fingers crossed on that one. I too wish that VW listens to these inputs and comes with a permanent fix.

Quote:
As for the AC, I've figured out a way of cooling down the car sooner - pop up the sunroof, crack down all 4 windows just a couple of inches down, let the AC be at 22-24 ... As for the efficiency of the AC, i have never felt that it's not able to cool the car (highest temperature I've faced so far is 36.5 degrees Celcius).
Yes, this what I have done in the rare situation the car was parked in the open under high sun. However, the AC does seem to have issues with general capability. Again, something I hope VW can fix.

Quote:
As for the mileage - I have a sedate driving pattern, excepting revving on empty roads just to hear the engine roar in the first and second gears occasionally. I always always wait for about 30 seconds after turning on the engine for the rpm to reach from 1500 to 1000, initially i used to wait just 10 seconds after a cold start and journey on, but this gyaan of waiting for the rpm to drop was given by a close friend Dr. KCK from Coorg who owns a Skoda Kushaq 1.0L MT style variant. I get an average mileage of 16-18kmpl (60% highway & 40% city). Within Mysore city I get around 14-16kmpl, on dual carriageway highways where I can't use Cruise control I get around 17-18.5kmpl. On proper highways with cruise control mileage is sweet at 20-22kmpl. Max I've ever got is 23kmpl. I always keep the AC at 24, sometimes higher. I never keep the AC below 22.
Man, what would I not give to get those mileage numbers! I maintain a detailed file of petrol fill ups and associated calculations. The numbers are not even close to yours. Question - are these the numbers from the instrument panel or calculated tank full to tank full? Mine are based, obviously, on the latter. I will try out the "waiting for RPM to drop" technique. One thing I have tried this time around is switching the AC completely off before shutting the car down for the day. It will be switched on manually in the morning when I take the car out and that too after running about a km or so. Seems to have a subtle impact.

Here's a view of my fuel numbers.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-4400kms_taigun1.0_mileagestats.png

Quote:
PS.: Have tinted the windows using Garware lite NF carbon films with 50% Visibility. Front and rear windshields have clear films rated at 70% visibility, of a generic brand.
Is this ok to do? I was under the impression that any film on glass is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
400 for the 4th door? All merciful of them to have allowed you to retain the door. I feel you should write to VW about being charged for 1 door. Not about the money but to tell them how stupid they are. I also think the car is very good only because the engine and design are German. However the local brains (if at all they have) have managed to create lot of irritants like AC, door squeaking, lack of option to cut phone calls on steering, quality of roofline.
Completely agree. Also, the horn and error prone tyre pressure loss indicator.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 09:42   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
But one issue i face is that the one touch up of the driver side window doesn't work properly most of the time - the window rolls up halfway and rolls back down, whenever this happens it happens twice. The third attempt it stops midway, following which the one touch up just gives way, I've got so used to this routine that I don't even attempt one touch up now.
Been facing this issue since day 1. I've too given up on the fixes and just operate it normally.

My car stays in the sun all day, everyday. I found this windshield cover on Amazon and this is how it fits the car.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_0264.jpg

I step out in the afternoon sun to find the insides of the car bearable. Earlier, I was worried the heat might toast the plastics. The steering wheel was too hot to touch.
throttleflick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:11   #1368
BHPian

Quote:

Had a word with the service manager, which is when i learnt about the existence of anti-friction strip. So during the second inspection service they assured us the issue will be sorted out soon and that their service head was at Pune for training on this.
WHAT? Did they really charge you? I got these tapes installed under the door rattling sound "campaign" free of cost. I've never heard the rattling noise pre and post-installation of these tapes. Definitely, you need to cross-check this with VW India.
Atharva14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 11:39   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Question - are these the numbers from the instrument panel or calculated tank full to tank full?

Is this ok to do? I was under the impression that any film on glass is illegal.
Thank you asmr. On a full tank i get more or less 750km. The average fuel economy numbers are based on tank full to tank full method. The average is 16.304 kmpl. This is with about 3000 to 3500 km per month with about 1000km of highway driving and about 60km per day within the city. Haven't got to test proper long distance highway driving so far, have done Mysore to Bellur around 60 times, one Coorg trip and Mysore-Bangalore-Mysore a couple of times. Looking forward to the first long distance trip - Mysuru to Chennapatnam (Chennai) later this month.

I feel the average on the display is quite accurate with an error of less than 1kmpl, as compared to error of more than 2kmpl in the i10 nios.

As for the tint, I agree that it's a grey area are to whether it's legal. But considering my profession which involves late night drives to other hospitals by the wife or myself - for the sake of privacy and safety I had to go for the tint, the added advantage is the faster cooling down of the cabin in the afternoons and reduced glare from high beams of oncoming traffic at night. Also most of my journeys will be by car and predominantly at night in order to save on usability of daytime since I cannot take long leave (maximum 2 days in a row including Sundays).

The friendly neighborhood car accessory guy has applied the tint leaving just a millimeter below the top of the window edge, so it's really difficult to tell whether sun film is applied or the window is tinted.

Earlier in the i10 Nios I was stopped in Goa for the tint and paid fine. Whenever I'm stopped for this issue, I don't argue with the cops in other states, I just pay the fine. But in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu I tell them the reason and they are quite understanding about it and let me off saying it's a mild tint anyway. But so far I haven't been stopped for the tint in the Taigun.

PS.: I still haven't figured out how to disconnect calls from the steering wheel. The dealership people keep telling me it's possible. I'm going to give them a practical demonstration when I go for the 15000km service next month and ask them to show me how to disconnect the call. Since there is no physical button to cancel attended calls, calls have to be disconnected on the touch screen - Now I've developed a bad habit of receiving calls on the touchscreen even though this can be done from the steering.

What's worse is that next to the cruise control buttons there is a button without function, they could have either given a call disconnect function or mute function at the least.

I will contact VW regarding why I was charged for the anti-friction tapes. Thank you atharva14 and Throttleflick for your inputs.
Osteon206 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 12:04   #1370
BHPian

Someone captured the VW Taigun AC performance issue in detail in the video below:-

Old 6th June 2022, 14:27   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you asmr. On a full tank i get more or less 750km. The average fuel economy numbers are based on tank full to tank full method. The average is 16.304 kmpl. ...

I will contact VW regarding why I was charged for the anti-friction tapes. Thank you atharva14 and Throttleflick for your inputs.
I didn't realize that you had a MT car. That might explain the higher mileage numbers. Plus driving inside Mysore was like driving in Chennai on Sundays for me . As for the discrepancy between the average on screen and actuals, I have stopped looking at the screen while driving and just have the speedometer or RPM on the screen.

And I didn't mean to come across as judgemental on the tint film. I have heard both yays and nays for films. So thank you so much for the explanation!

I have never disconnected calls from the steering wheel. I just let the other party disconnect or use the touchscreen. I didn't know there was a way to do it from the steering. I will ask the service manager here about it.

If the anti-friction tape is a workaround, then it explains why they charge for it. I will pay it regardless but VW missed this huge quality issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atharva14 View Post
WHAT? Did they really charge you? I got these tapes installed under the door rattling sound "campaign" free of cost. I've never heard the rattling noise pre and post-installation of these tapes. Definitely, you need to cross-check this with VW India.
When was this campaign? I had raised this concern to my SA long back but never heard of any campaign for this from VW.

Last edited by asmr : 6th June 2022 at 14:44. Reason: to avoid multiple posts
Old 6th June 2022, 14:43   #1372
BHPian

Quote:

And I didn't mean to come across as judgemental on the tint film. I have heard both yays and nays for films. So thank you so much for the explanation!

I didn't know there was a way to do it from the steering. I will ask the service manager here about it.
No problem at all. Didn't think you were judgemental. Tint at your own risk basically. Also, yes mine is the MT, should have mentioned it.

As for the button for disconnecting calls from the steering wheel - it doesn't exist. I meant that VW must have made that button without function have some function. Lol.
Osteon206 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 08:31   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
PS.: I still haven't figured out how to disconnect calls from the steering wheel. The dealership people keep telling me it's possible.
When you receive a call, use the up or down arrow (above and below the OK button on the steering) to toggle between accept and reject the call, then press OK button to complete the choice.

Quote:
When was this campaign? I had raised this concern to my SA long back but never heard of any campaign for this from VW.
Not a campaign really! However, during the regular service, you can insist the ASC to complete this fix as I heard that there was an internal circular from VW to all ASCs to apply this fix free of cost. I had raised this issue during the service call at 7500 km interval and got this fix applied. Now, I don't hear this noise for almost 2 months.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th June 2022 at 09:46. Reason: back to back posts merged
Gokrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 08:42   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Not a campaign really! However, during the regular service, you can insist the ASC to complete this fix as I heard that there was an internal circular from VW to all ASCs to apply this fix free of cost. I had raised this issue during the service call at 7500 km interval and got this fix applied. Now, I don't hear this noise for almost 2 months.
I did tell the ASC advisor and the service manager about this. The answer the was that any such change will usually come in as a campaign for a set of pre-identified VINs and that they were not aware of one.

I am going to push to get this done for free. Either the strip or complete change of the door seals. Let's see.
Old 7th June 2022, 08:48   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
I did tell the ASC advisor and the service manager about this. The answer the was that any such change will usually come in as a campaign for a set of pre-identified VINs and that they were not aware of one.
I see that you are from Chennai too. Who is your dealer? If it is KUN Volkswagen, please send your car to Alandur service center as that is where I got this beading fixed!
Old 7th June 2022, 08:54   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
When you receive a call, use the up or down arrow (above and below the OK button on the steering) to toggle between accept and reject the call, then press OK button to complete the choice.
Thanks Gokrish, I didn't know this. Another query, how to disconnect an ongoing call from the steering wheel? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
I am going to push to get this done for free. Either the strip or complete change of the door seals. Let's see.
They will not replace the beadings. I tried everything possible including mailing VW for this, they replied that a fix will be done soon, but the dealership said
that they entire beading will not be replaced.

I still can't accept that of all things they got the type of rubber compound wrong in a door beading. It's not like they haven't sold cars in India before this.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th June 2022 at 09:47. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 7th June 2022, 09:21   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
I see that you are from Chennai too. Who is your dealer? If it is KUN Volkswagen, please send your car to Alandur service center as that is where I got this beading fixed!
My car is from TVS VW. (I would never go again to a KUN car dealership after the way they misled me on my Creta booking). When you say 'fixed', did they affix the anti friction tape or did they change the door seals completely?

Quote:
I still can't accept that of all things they got the type of rubber compound wrong in a door beading. It's not like they haven't sold cars in India before this.
I would have to agree with you. But the problem is real and even if it is not from the door rubbers, VW owes it to those who purchased their cars to find the root cause and fix a major irritant like this.
Old 7th June 2022, 11:55   #1378
BHPian

Quote:

They have done basic setting of the windows multiple times, other than this issue, I'm just loving the car so I've even stopped complaining about this hoping that when the electrically folding ORVM is available anyway the window will get a new motor which should solve the issue.
Driver window roll up problem is present in both Taigun and Kushaq. From different groups, nearly everyone has this issue. They should find a fix and fix it for everyone. Its really amazing VW & Skoda didn't find these prevelant issues in testing. Maybe they didn't test at all.

I am also getting the power window motor changed as suggested by SVC. Apparently that solves the issues.

For Kushaq, they automatically applied the tape to all 4 even without asking. Somehow VW is worse then Skoda in service terms. I observed Sloda centres to really make an effort for customer satisfaction atleast in Gurgaon.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th June 2022 at 12:02. Reason: Quote content trimmed
varun.petro is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 22:36   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.petro View Post
Driver window roll up problem is present in both Taigun and Kushaq. From different groups, nearly everyone has this issue. They should find a fix and fix it for everyone. Its really amazing VW & Skoda didn't find these prevelant issues in testing. Maybe they didn't test at all.

I am also getting the power window motor changed as suggested by SVC. Apparently that solves the issues.

For Kushaq, they automatically applied the tape to all 4 even without asking. Somehow VW is worse then Skoda in service terms. I observed Sloda centres to really make an effort for customer satisfaction atleast in Gurgaon.
I stopped bothering about the window. It is quite moody and works only when it feels like. Guess we need to develop a 'reputation to escalate' to get our work done from dealer / service. Yes as days progress there are a number of irritants reported and makes us wonder what were they testing apart from budgets and margins. Hope these are rectified at the earliest.
Old 8th June 2022, 06:59   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Gokrish, I didn't know this. Another query, how to disconnect an ongoing call from the steering wheel? Thanks in advance.
Guess there is no option to cut the call from steering. While the OK button works for answering the call, I suppose cancel button should work to cut the call. Maybe some fresh brains in their enthusiasm to cut costs didn't map it. Either VW should be aware of these issues yet is silent or clueless which is unbecoming of a German brand. Further with prices being continuously hiked, I doubt if they can retain their market share leave alone increasing.

Last edited by prabhu7944 : 8th June 2022 at 07:06. Reason: Correction
prabhu7944 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks