Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 23:11   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
Really excited by the XUV 700 and as an existing XUV 500 owner, I am very keen on booking 700........I have been in touch with one of my relative who works in a Senior role in M&M. He was able to answer a few queries ....... My queries were more related to the AX5 and AX7 variant, as I was interested in only one of these 2.

9. Ventilated seats are expected to be missed in the first iteration of cars, however there is provision provided for a future addition. Dummy switches are provided near the headlamp adjust area and also there is a dummy option provided in the infotainment screen. Current white leather seats in AX7 model have perforation, but they are not for ventilation option. So I don't think after market is an option here. We can expect a AX9 model at a later stage with dark leather seats and ventilation seat along with few other things like Auto dim IVRM, mood lighting etc...

If you have any other queries, I can compile and take it up with my source.
Hi MukundanMK, could you share if this above info was shared by your senior Mahindra source/ contact, or is an assumption derived, from all the informations he has shared with you?

Could you check/ re-confirm with your source if a higher model will come with ventilated seats, for sure (added benefit if it also comes with auto dimming IRVM)? [while I know anything can change in product offerings at anytime, if there is a strong plan to make it available in a future variant and is already considered, I could think about waiting (after seeing the pricing for AX7 variants).

I'm seriously considering the XUV7OO and your critical input will assist a decision making process. Thank you!
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 23:12   #242
BHPian

Outstanding work by Mahindra! Just take a bow Anand Mahindra!

As a Tata Hexa Owner and fanboy, was happy to see Tata run away for the last 2 years or so with the # 3 ranking. And it looked like Tata was leaving Mahindra way behind.

But then Mahindra comes up with the updated Thar as 'The' Ubercool lifestyle vehicle to go for and then follows it up with the Irresistible XUV 700. What a great One-Two punch combo!!

Not only has it uppercut Tata (Undercut rather) but also every Potential Car in the 12-35 Lacs segment!!

I am still not a fan of the design, but boy is it compelling you to look at it or what!!

2 of my known friends who were recommended Harrier/Safari by me have now been asked to stop dead in their tracks and look at this!

It's basically a Safari with all Creta features and price! How can anyone even dare to ignore this!!

Forget Safari, this has now disrupted the Compass, Citroen C5, Kodiaq, Tiguan, Endeavour and even the mighty Fortuner! Each and everyone of them suddenly seem overpriced!

Frankly I didn't even bother about the XUV 700 before launch because of the polarising Design and hated the Dynamics of XUV 500 with it's sad/soft suspension.

But the way Mahindra has sorted out the Dynamics issue is stuff of legends!! And the Engines are pure love. Not withstanding the exhaustive feature list one could only dream of in the segment.

Mahindra has simply killed it! Just hope Tata learns a thing or two about 'Disruption' in the market.
Flash777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 23:36   #243
BHPian

As usual, a 5-star review from your side

The price announced by Mahindra is surely tempting and it'll surely see more waiting period than the Thar due to its price.

And, Tata twins will be facing more heat due to the price and features offered by Mahindra but the Korean twins won't get affected much IMO in terms of sales figures even if Mahindra prices the XUV700 well and I feel that the Innova Crysta might also face the heat as the new Crysta 2.4 GX MT starts from 23L OTR. The Crysta might be reliable and safe option but Toyota is becoming too greedy by increasing the prices for the features it offers.

At first, I didn't like the XUV700's looks but slowly, I'm loving its looks.

Since we are planning to replace our 10 year old Innova, we are considering the XUV700 as well and we might go for AX5 Diesel AT 5 seater variant because we don't require 7 seater anymore as we are a family of 3 and if its priced within 20L OTR, will surely pick it up over Creta/Seltos or Harrier.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 23:49   #244
BHPian

Phew! Another good review and the thread is on fire.
Although XUV700 is outstanding in most of the aspects, it still doesn't perfectly fit my expectations. I guess, The perfect car is a myth

This is how I'm looking at the car -
1) Core Basics
2) Practical/essential Needs
3) Desirable Wants

Core Basics (First qualifiers, must have)
- Engine, Body, Transmission, Ride & Handling, Safety
- XUV700 is sorted in the Basics, it has powerful engines, good automatic transmission, multilink FSD suspension, good ride & handling, descent quality and plenty of active/passive safety features.

Practical Needs (Second qualifiers, should have)
- Parking sensors, Auto headlamps, Auto wipers, 360 camera, One touch windows, Auto dimming IRVM, Ventilated seats, Music system, ISOFIX, etc.
- This is where Mahindra have cut the corners and directly jumped to provide Desirable Wants.
- Auto dimming IRVM is a necessity and so is front parking sensors. Shouldn't have missed.
- heck, why are 3 point seatbelt and adjustable headrest are absent for the middle seat. Practically unusable 3rd row seats, for long highways journeys.
- One touch windows is another miss, it's very convenient to roll up/down all the windows while locking/unlocking the car.
- Ventilated seats have become a norm these days. You appreciate it more once you try them.

Desirable Wants (Differentiators, may have)
- Bigger Infotainment, Voice commands, Wireless Connectivity, wireless charging, Sunroof, ADAS, etc.
- Here, XUV700 outscores most of the competition.
- However, I wouldn't want these features in place of practice essential features. I'd want them on top of Basics and practical features. And even if these are missed, I wouldn't lose my mind over it.

I think, my Vento has spoiled me as it was phenomenal in the basics & practical usable Features department.
Having said this, XUV700 still remains on top of the shortlist, and now waiting for Astor to surprise me.

Last edited by SDP : 20th August 2021 at 06:58. Reason: Typo
dh.harshal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 00:03   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
ESP in lower variants- I believe the MX will skip it. The AX5 & AX7 should have ESP. Not confirmed for the AX3.

Approach angle - 22.6 degrees.
Departure angle - 24 degrees.
Ramp-over angle - 20.7 degrees.

Off-roading can be done, but make no mistake - the 7OO AWD will be a mild-offroader.

... Cornering Lamp-
It's inside the foglamps.
Hello Sir, I have the following queries:
How good this XUV700 base variant-MX Diesel 5 seater of low tuned power (with 2 occupants) will be for the extreme roads/ pass/ La in Himalayan hills, considering no ESP & comparatively lower GC? I watch lots of YouTube video and in real life that people taking their XUV500 in those terrains.

Is it a big problem without the ESP?

Whether the Cornering Lamp can be installed aftermarket? Whether the housing and mechanisms of XUV700 allow such retrofit?

I have no hands-on for the 4x4 or AWD etc. Actually I drive a petrol Swift. The hill drives are extremely thrilling and perhaps I shall be looking for a high GC and sturdy and capable car in a year or two. I am not an aggressive driver. The base variant price of MX diesel is too tempting. Instead of buying some raised Hatchback named compact SUV, we now have apparantly a better option.

All reviews and discussions are mostly high end feature centric, as if I am going through latest iPhone, OnePlus or Samsung QLED TV review etc.- very confusing! All I need is a mechanically good and strong car which can take me and wife to those heavenly roads in Himalayas and daily commutes in Gurgaon broken roads without damaging underbelly. I don't need sunroof/ skyroof, ventilated seat, TV on dashboard, gadgets and electronics loaded driver's seat. Interacting with my better half sitting next to me is more exciting, and need a good sound system.

Last edited by RijuC : 20th August 2021 at 00:08.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 01:14   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who are worrying about the spare wheel being smaller, am with you.

But, if you can't afford to spend 25K (1% of vehicle cost) to buy a full size alloy wheel and tyre, you should look for a car which you can afford.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th August 2021 at 01:15.
swiftnfurious is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 04:11   #247
BHPian

For M&M it may be money, but for others, it's not just the money which by the way translates to 100% more than what you mentioned as percentage of the vehicle if you consider MX version.

Many have already aired concern over whether a full wheel can be accommodated in the space provided. If the under body mounted spare wheel by chance defines the GC, then additional width of 80mm (155mm vs 235mm profile) may result in halving the GC to only 80mm.

This may be okay when you are forced to use the smaller wheel in emergencies, but not if you have to keep a normal wheel permanently stored.

The buyer may be able to afford the full wheel, but what to do with the provided spare wheel. Can you please also advice what the buyer SHOULD do with the skinny spare wheel wearing 155mm profile tire which can not be used in any other vehicle for regular use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For those who are worrying about the spare wheel being smaller, am with you.

But, if you can't afford to spend 25K (1% of vehicle cost) to buy a full size alloy wheel and tyre, you should look for a car which you can afford.

Last edited by girishv : 20th August 2021 at 04:15.
girishv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 07:05   #248
BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 Review-285c72b5a1b84d1d8cafe33b985e5584.jpeg

Raise your hand if you ever thought high school physics wasn’t relevant in real life.

Anyone remember the ‘banking of tracks’ chapter - tangent of theta?
t2k4 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 07:20   #249
BHPian

I wish M&M had provided an auto option for MX variant too. That would have filled in the void in that segment too. But looks like the MX variant is more to show lower starting price and probably those orders will be filled lower in priority.

Mods - in other reviews, there would be a comparison chart with other competitors in that segment for comparing dimensions, engine capacity, prices etc. That seems to be missing. Also no detailed info on introductory pricing and variants that used to be present earlier. Would be good if those data was added at XUV7OO too.

Last edited by sanchari : 20th August 2021 at 07:22.
Old 20th August 2021, 07:21   #250
BHPian

Going against the vein here.
Firstly, the third row is practically unusable. What good is a six+ seater SUV that can't seat six?
Secondly, a plastic tailgate?? Scared to think of what would happen if the car is rear ended.
Finally, that logo! A butterfly for an SUV. Really Mahindra
?!
These are big misses. Still no competition for Innova when it comes to moving 6 people in comfort.

Last edited by vroomsome : 20th August 2021 at 07:28.
vroomsome is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 07:46   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Great first drive review, amazing pricing, and the pace at which this thread has progressed shows the buzz created by this car. Must say that at least initially, this launch has probably cost VW Group a few thousand early sales - the Kushaq and the Taigun seem to offer too little for too much on a relative basis.

Am truly astounded by the output Mahindra has obtained the 2 l petrol and the higher end diesels - the 200 bhp / 380 NM of torque is materially higher on
Torque output the Mercedes GLC 200 and higher on both torque and power than the VW Tiguan Allspace. The feature list planned for the AX7 is amazing too - I have some of these features in the Tiguan, but have not enabled them, and the only car I have driven with adaptive cruise control is a Mercedes E 450 AMG in Germany.

Am surprised by the amount of boot space being reported with the last row down - but the Tiguan has 700 l, and 1100 l seems amazing when juxtaposed with the fact that the last row of the XUV700 is suited only for kids.

So a fantastic design job done - and if M&M is able to execute on production, we may have a home grown champion in a position to compete with global majors not just in India but worldwide. Kudos to Anand Mahindra and the entire team there.
Hayek is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 07:52   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomsome View Post
Going against the vein here.
Firstly, the third row is practically unusable. What good is a six+ seater SUV that can't seat six?
Don't agree. Not every family has everyone of 6+ feet. Infact the average (adult) height of male and female in India is 5'4 and 5'1 respectively. For instance, 6 people (all of them adults) in my family.
1) 6 feet individual (Occupies front left passenger seat)
2) Myself,5'9 occupies driver seat
3) 2 individuals with height of 5'2 and other two with height of 5'9 and 4'11 can easily distribute themselves within the 2nd and third row.

Quote:
Secondly, a plastic tailgate?? Scared to think of what would happen if the car is rear ended.
This topic has been beaten to the death already. If Mahindra secures a 5* safety rating (which most likely they will), I don't bother if the boot is even made of glass.
PS-Honda Brio had majority of boot in glass, never have heard any issues about it.

Quote:
Finally, that logo! A butterfly for an SUV. Really Mahindra
?!
That's just nitpicking IMO. One can easily replace the logo with older Mahindra logo or something they like, if it bothers them so much.

Quote:
These are big misses. Still no competition for Innova when it comes to moving 6 people in comfort.
This I agree. If all the family members are large adults, the Innova can seat 6 in utmost comfort. Travel the 6 in utmost comfort? Complete No. For me travelling in comfort involves various criteria- like ride quality, the NVH, body roll to name a few. While ride quality of Innova is good, the NVH is a sorry state for the price and segment it operates in.

Last edited by 07CR : 20th August 2021 at 07:56.
07CR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 08:21   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Don't agree. Not every family has everyone of 6+ feet. Infact the average (adult) height of male and female in India is 5'4 and 5'1 respectively.
He is referring to six+ in terms of seating capacity, not the height

Honestly, I really don't think a 7-seater makes much sense, unless it is strictly to be used by kids. It is a nightmare for any adult (whether or not he is 6ft+ or 6ft-) to cramp into such a space. I have experienced the same, and won't recommend unless it's an urgency. Cheers!

Coming to this sensational thread, my view below:

a. Many believe the premium for AT for MT is a mere 1 lac - don't see that happening. It will be a good 1.2 or even 1.4+ IMO. Recent trends point us towards the same.

b. MX and AX3 are bound to have too many bookings IMO, from cross-shopping.

c. Most new XUV customers would tend towards AX5+ given optional packs kick in from these.

d. I therefore foresee highest amount of demand for AX5 of all the variants. (sun-roof + optional packs)

e. AX7 likely won't have that many takers, unless the premium for ADAS + Upholstery + 18" is <= 1 lac.

Lastly, a good 10-20% bookings from THAR will move to this. All in all, win-win for M&M. Eager to see how the competition will react.

Last edited by TokyoDrifter : 20th August 2021 at 08:27.
Old 20th August 2021, 08:56   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
He is referring to six+ in terms of seating capacity, not the height
Yeah I understood that. My point is it will be uncomfortable for people with 6ft+ height in third row. I feel people with light build and lower height could be pretty comfy even in last row. The third row won't be as comfortable as second row is a given, even in Crysta.

Last edited by 07CR : 20th August 2021 at 09:10.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:15   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post

But let me tell you this, I watched PowerDrift review and the Autocar review and this is the only time I felt that there is no excitement while reading/watching the review. Is it because of the hype, revelations before and so much discussion on the XUV 7OO that made us immune to any surprises or detailing?
Absolutely bang on with this emotion. When the harrier was to launch. I waiting with bated breath, counting down the days and hoping for the day I could see one in person and even buy it someday.

With XUV I had absolutely no sense of build up or curiosity and those early distorted shots just killed it.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks