Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2021, 14:50   #811

Re: MG Astor Review

I also pre-booked with dealer in Hyd/Gachibowli by making 25k payment on 19th itself but now dealer says he is not sure if my booking with be 1st o 2nd batch and until MG confirms they cannot say if I'd get the car in 2021 or not. Not feeling good at all.
Old 25th October 2021, 14:57   #812

On a side note, is 'booking status' page worked for any of you. For me it just keeps loading after entering bookingId and OTP.
Old 25th October 2021, 15:16   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
I'm glad you got your car within one week and I'm equally happy that you like your new Honda City and went for it instead of waiting for other cars. Your personal choice/preference, I respect that and won't judge you.

But I would never touch new City. Honda City, once, was a pinnacle of quality.The current generation is nothing but just a shadow of it. We hate that car. We hate the cheap plastics and build quality of it. We hated that CVT on that car. Took forever to gain speed. I don't think I can live with such poor quality product after spending my hard earned money. We could also get it delivered within a week but did we like it - HELL NO. Personal choice/preference right? And a calculated decision was taken to book a car which connects - Creta IVT which drives much better than other CVTs, Astor for the best in class interiors, good turbo engine etc (didn't like it's CVT), even if it takes time to deliver, though the current trend of booking and waiting is pathetic to say the least. And if something goes wrong in that process is absolutely out of your scope.

All I'm saying is, everyone makes choices in their lives basis their capacity and circumstances. Please don't disrespect it if you can't emphasize.

This conversation is going off topic. Let's have other dear members discuss Astor.

Good day!
I haven't disrespected any one's opinion but only expressed mine.
If I had come to known about your views regarding Honda City before my purchase I certainly would have give it some thought.
Before purchase I read this forum extensively and what I gathered was that Team-BHP members are overwhelmingly in support of Honda City over other sedans and for that matter other SUVs also. This had a influence on my purchase decision besides other reasons some of which I described in this thread.
Good day to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick88 View Post
Can you share the variant you bought, the discount you received and the final on-road price?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5172037 (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)

Re Astor : I visited Moti Nagar, Delhi showroom. There is a certain energy in the showroom. Staff there are ready to bend backwards to please customers by serving refreshments and explaining and showing cars. MG cars are very beautiful especially Hector and Astor. A customer is instantly vowed by this experience.
But somehow when it comes to the Sales I felt like that MG is very business like and not ready to sacrifice an inch to customer and even ready to exploit a customer's weakness. Like they are toying with this huge customer demand for Astor. I hope I am wrong but this is based upon my limited personal experience and after reading this thread.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 16:21   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praneeth999 View Post
On a side note, is 'booking status' page worked for any of you. For me it just keeps loading after entering bookingId and OTP.
It's the same for me, since the day of booking.
Old 25th October 2021, 18:34   #815

Quote:
Yes, its the same for me. First I thought it was due to the initial rush but now enough time has passed and MG should be more transparent to the customers. I get a feeling that they have taken more bookings than they can deliver this year and dont want the customers to opt out
Old 25th October 2021, 19:56   #816
BHPian

This weekend visited the MG showroom, Golf course road, Gurgaon. The Astor looks and feels stunning. It was a top end model. The interior color in red (or maroon) looks good to me, not loud. However when I touched the surface it feels like a little loose cover/ layer on a hard surface. Should not it feel padded, or a little firmer? Same feeling on the door panel red coloured part. The SA informed the colour combination would be black and beige for lower trims. Same feeling for the ceiling covering fabric. It also feels like a loose cover over a surface.

I had another observation. My left leg is obstructed by the central console vertical surface. I am 6 feet and on heavier side. Had to push the driver's seat to extreme end and then it feels comfortable. However the left leg always remains tightly in touch with the central console. And the right foot remains busy on B/ A pedal almost 6-8 inches ahead of the left foot resting on rest pedal area. It felt peculiar and uncomfortable due to this ergonomics. It was an Auto transmission model.

The ceiling was too close to my head, almost touching the hairs.

Back seats felt good, two bulky adults can seat comfortably (my case). The backseat armrest was little shorter for me.

Boot space looks adequate for me. Also there are two storage areas with support net on both sides of the spare wheel.

Overall packaging seems to be good. I hope driving experience would be great. How safe is this car structurally? And how good is the 1.3 litre engine with AT?
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 00:24   #817
BHPian

So me and my wife went for a test drive of the MG Astor.

I tried both, the 1.5 automatic and 1.3 Turbo automatic. Must say, there is terrible lag. Even my wife, who was sitting in the back seat, mentioned that car seemed very under powered. At 20 km/h, I floored the pedal and it took 4 long seconds to rev, and yes, I actually counted. Couldn't compare to my 12 year old Honda City automatic. It was a totally uninspiring and unenthusiastic drive. I was totally disappointed.

What is the use of all the gimmicks and gadgets when the car doesn't perform in one area which is its main job - driving.

For me I would sum up the Astor as:

Name:  9c78fbbeb3a47a842f57cf33a3dc2b1cuglygirlgirlsbelike.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  29.3 KB

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2021 at 19:39. Reason: Grammar, spacing
drvarunagarwal is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th October 2021, 09:46   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvarunagarwal View Post
I tried both, the 1.5 automatic and 1.3 Turbo automatic. Must say, there is terrible lag. Even my wife, who was sitting in the back seat, mentioned that car seemed very under powered. At 20 km/h, I floored the pedal and it took 4 long seconds to rev, and yes, I actually counted. Couldn't compare to my 12 year old Honda City automatic. It was a totally uninspiring and unenthusiastic drive. I was totally disappointed.
Was it with both the engine variants? Which gear did you floor it on? Did you try downshifting?

When I did the test drive of thr 1.5 CVT, I noticed the typical lag/delay of around 2-3 seconds when flooring.
But, as whats typical with most NA petrol engines, working the gear manually in the S mode, I was able to extract enough acceleration, and hit 80+ within no time inside city roads.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2021 at 19:39. Reason: Quoted text edited
ridehard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 09:48   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvarunagarwal View Post
I am not sure how come you faced lag in 1.3 Turbo. I have done couple of TDs of Astor Turbo and found no lag in it (others may also add to this!).

Your comment seems to be on 1.5 with CVT which may have lag similar to Hector CVT, because CVT works in a progressive way, you can't expect it to shift gears quickly like DCT or TC. Hence, it takes time once you floor the pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshjoshi00 View Post
Yes, its the same for me. First I thought it was due to the initial rush but now enough time has passed and MG should be more transparent to the customers. I get a feeling that they have taken more bookings than they can deliver this year and dont want the customers to opt out
Basis update from Flagship store SA (which shares same complex with MG's corporate office), confirmed allocation list will be circulated on 27th Oct (tomorrow). Most likely website will be updated post that.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2021 at 19:40. Reason: Quoted text edited
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 09:56   #820

Quote:
It is the same for me. I was hoping that the dealership would have an answer. But surprisingly, the SA has been strangely unresponsive too.
Old 26th October 2021, 09:56   #821
Senior - BHPian

At times I feel at loss when people floor the pedal and expect an Earth escape velocity from the car, that too at times on a CVT .

How many times do we drive pedal to the metal in city or even on highways. If that is your driving style, obviously Astor wont be an ideal choice. I doubt if any car can give that kind of expected acceleration under 40L (May be GTi but its not on sale). You would find the initial turbo lag in majority of turbo powered cars. What matters most at least to me is the punchy mid range which would keep my progress swift but certainly not like a rocket !! May be its just me though.

During my TD of 1.3 engine, I found it to be quite refined even being a 3 cyl and it felt fast enough in City and on highway. Of course I cannot comment on the time it takes to clock 200 from 100 kmph but seldom ie the case with driving a regular family oriented car.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 26th October 2021 at 09:59.
neoonwheels is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:13   #822
BHPian

I got a confirmation from my dealer that I will get delivery in the 1st lot tentatively in the 1st week of december. Fingers crossed!
maverick88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:33   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
I am not sure how come you faced lag in 1.3 Turbo. I have done couple of TDs of Astor Turbo and found no lag in it (others may also add to this!)
I also agree with you. I have also done the test drive back to back. There is no considerable lag in CVT also (of course we have to drive CVT like a CVT). There was no noticeable lag in Turbo as well and was building speed rapidly. Unless one is coming from a DSG background it is not noticeable.
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:45   #824
Senior - BHPian

Saw an Astor yesterday. Was a MG Noida for Hector & my colleague wanted a petrol vehicle (suv as per current trend). It was the top end with sangira red interiors. Must say, it didn't look as bad as I had feared. However, what's different is back seat, especially the transmission tunnel which is higher than Creta & Seltos. The VW mimicking boot opening mechanism is good & felt sturdy like the car overall.

While I'm zeroing on one class higher & was most interested in Hector, & my friend who has driven the 1.5 CVT may end up with no vehicle of the two.
Old 26th October 2021, 13:43   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

My left leg is obstructed by the central console vertical surface. I am 6 feet and on heavier side. Had to push the driver's seat to extreme end and then it feels comfortable. However the left leg always remains tightly in touch with the central console. And the right foot remains busy on B/ A pedal almost 6-8 inches ahead of the left foot resting on rest pedal area. It felt peculiar and uncomfortable due to this ergonomics. It was an Auto transmission model.

The ceiling was too close to my head, almost touching the hairs.
I had the same observation as well. I'm around 6'2 and found the footwell very cramped and having to push the seats all the way back. I found the space overall to be a notch below my Gen 1 Creta for some reason (even though the car is larger in dimensions and equal in wheelbase). However I'm planning to continue the booking as I am looking for an AT, and footwell room might not be required that much (hopefully).
nasir88 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks