Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2021, 23:51   #961
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

It is really surprising that MG is allowed to start deliveries without official declaring important information like fuel efficiency, boot space, turning radius etc.

Is it even legal to sell without disclosing all the info about the vehicle ?
TheStRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 12:02   #962
BHPian

I had mailed them and asked for Ground Clearance and Turning Radius data. The sent a stupid mail asking me to get in touch with the dealer to get these details.

A very stupid answer.

All this makes me wonder what they are hiding and whether I should cancel my booking. The whole launch and secrecy smells fishy.

Last edited by Sidban85 : 14th November 2021 at 12:05.
Sidban85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 15:23   #963
BHPian

I hate their "get in touch with the dealer" canned reply. I asked them when are they launching the next EV model and they still said the same.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th November 2021 at 20:37. Reason: Removing symbols at the end.
Gotcha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 17:12   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStRyder View Post
It is really surprising that MG is allowed to start deliveries without official declaring important information like fuel efficiency, boot space, turning radius etc.

Is it even legal to sell without disclosing all the info about the vehicle ?
I think its not illegal, although its certainly scummy. Been looking for some info on ground clearance and mileage - but whatever data is available seems to be in this thread - anecdotal and too few sample points. Good thing I'm back to waiting mode for a few more months now.

I wish it were illegal to sell a car without a specified set of data about it being available: Dimensions and weight, ground clearance and turning radius, mileage, crash test ratings etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
I had mailed them and asked for Ground Clearance and Turning Radius data. The sent a stupid mail asking me to get in touch with the dealer to get these details.
A very stupid answer.
Can you contact them and let us know what they say?

Last edited by Transmission : 14th November 2021 at 17:17. Reason: Fixing typos
Old 14th November 2021, 20:25   #965
BHPian

Took delivery of Astor Sharp(O) AT on 10th of Nov. It was a mass delivery event in Bangalore.

The dealership experience from pre-booking time to PDI to delivery was very smooth and the dealer and my SA was very helpful throughout.
We have done around 200km only so far.
Will post detail review later after taking astor out for long drive.
Some initial bits:
- 1.3L turbo is silent and NVH is decent and the drive quality is pretty good.
- The car is very easy to drive and the comfort features makes it even more interesting.
- Adaptive cruise control is awesome, a real luxury to have while driving in highways. Blind spot detection and Rear drive assist is a boon. ADAS is not a gimmick for sure.
- There is no alert on locking the car with sunroof open.
- AM/FM starts playing as soon as the engine is on.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211114202256_whatsapp.jpg  

MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211114191448_whatsapp.jpg  

ranjitht87 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 21:09   #966

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitht87 View Post
Took delivery of Astor Sharp(O) AT on 10th of Nov. It was a mass delivery event in Bangalore.

Congratulations on your new car, Mr.Ranjith!!! Wishing you lots of happy (s)miles..

Am awaiting delivery of my Astor in Chennai. Awaiting your detailed review. Before that, could you please shed some light on "the elephant in the room"? What mileage were you able to extract in your initial run? Any update on this will be very helpful!
kings2306 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 22:10   #967
BHPian

Quote:

The dealership experience from pre-booking time to PDI to delivery was very smooth and the dealer and my SA was very helpful throughout.
Some initial bits:
- The car is very easy to drive and the comfort features makes it even more interesting.
- Adaptive cruise control is awesome, a real luxury to have while driving in highways. Blind spot detection and Rear drive assist is a boon. ADAS is not a gimmick for sure.
Congratulations! I have booked this variant in this exact colour. The delivery is scheduled for December.
What's your take on the front and rear cameras? Most reviewers have mentioned them to be quite poor in terms of quality.
riturajsharma19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 07:59   #968
BHPian

Quote:

Some initial bits:
Congrats! My lease docs are in progress ... else I would have got mine too 😊 ETA is Nov end.

If enough owners ask, I hope they'll fix the alarm and FM issues, as they are just software tweaks. All these should be intuitive features by now, based on user experience.
JoBlo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 10:06   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
I had mailed them and asked for Ground Clearance and Turning Radius data.
Below from owners manual,
Turning Diameter =11.2m
Ground Clearence (laden) = 154mm in one section and 141 (for turbo) to 152 (1.5L NA) under another section "weights". May be some experts can help us understand this better.
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211114231358_drive.jpg

Also MG has included side step board as an accessory and I saw it in one of the car.
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211115094051_drive.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings2306 View Post
Before that, could you please shed some light on "the elephant in the room"? What mileage were you able to extract in your initial run? Any update on this will be very helpful!
I think its too early to look into mileage as of now as i have just done 200km.
A 100-110 km drive in highway with AC on gave a mileage of 18.5-19 kmpl as per mid.
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211114220456_whatsapp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
What's your take on the front and rear cameras? Most reviewers have mentioned them to be quite poor in terms of quality.
The video quality of 360 camera is neither bad nor good. It is decent enough to meet the purpose but a clear area for improvement.
ranjitht87 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 10:54   #970
BHPian

Thanks lot for this very useful information.

Have you faced issues with taking U-turns given that the turning circle diameter looks longer than even Innova?

Also, the Turbo Automatic that I have booked seems almost 10mm lower in GC. Wonder why? Does it negate any advantage of going for it over say sedans?

Quote:
Turning Diameter =11.2m
Ground Clearence (laden) = 154mm in one section and 141 (for turbo) to 152 (1.5L NA) under another section "weights". May be some experts can help us understand this better.
Attachment 2232720

Also MG has included side step board as an accessory and I saw it in one of the car.
Attachment 2232719

I think its too early to look into mileage as of now as i have just done 200km.
A 100-110 km drive in highway with AC on gave a mileage of 18.5-19 kmpl as per mid.
Attachment 2232721

The video quality of 360 camera is neither bad nor good. It is decent enough to meet the purpose but a clear area for improvement.
Old 15th November 2021, 11:07   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Heartiest congratulations on your new car! Looks beautiful in that colour. Looking forward to reading your full ownership review!

One quick question -
The unlock button on the gear lever in all of the test drive cars were too plasticy and made creaking sound while pressing it. One of the SAs mentioned it would be fixed in the production cars. Can you confirm if that's the case?
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 11:10   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Turning Diameter =11.2m
This doesn't seem to be right. 11.2m!?
It can't be more than 5.5m, imo.
Old 15th November 2021, 11:13   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Turning Diameter =11.2m
Attachment 2232720
150mm GC for a so called SUV on Indian roads is clearly not acceptable! Even certain hatchbacks sport ~170 mm GC these days. I was hoping this bit to be rumors but since it's a part of the owner's manual, I guess these should be the actual numbers or not sure if the owner's manual has the same level of authenticity as other Chinese product manuals

Clearly a deal breaker for a lot of folks. Wonder why all the SAs across the country were parroting 185mm as the standard answer for GC queries. Highly unethical! Most probably will suggest my sister to go for a cancellation now

Last edited by Varun_G : 15th November 2021 at 11:15.
Old 15th November 2021, 11:19   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_G View Post
150mm GC for a so called SUV on Indian roads is clearly not acceptable! Even certain hatchbacks sport ~170 mm GC these days. I was hoping this bit to be rumors but since it's a part of the owner's manual, I guess these should be the actual numbers.

Clearly a deal breaker for a lot of folks. Wonder why all the SAs across the country were parroting 185mm as the standard answer for GC queries. Highly unethical! Most probably will suggest my sister to go for a cancellation now
Don't be so frustrated. MG has quoted laden ground clearance. Most of the hatchbacks that you mention as 170mm would typically quote unladen ground clearance. Even the Harrier has a laden ground clearance of 153 mm.

Just to quote from my experience- I used to own a Nissan Micra which had a ground clearance of 154 mm (never mentioned unladen or laden). But I swear I never ever scraped the bottom on Pune's perennially broken roads even with 4 adults.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 15th November 2021 at 11:26.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 11:30   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridehard View Post
This doesn't seem to be right. 11.2m!?
It can't be more than 5.5m, imo.
That's the diameter, the turning radius that you are looking for is 5.6m

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks