Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2021, 20:21   #916
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashd View Post
Booked astor cvt with adas on 11th Oct at MG Kolkata South. They took Rs 49k as deposit. Later found out deposit is 21k.

Now the app is showing delivery Q1 22. The sales rep unable to answer. Total lack of transparency from MG. Sales rep only commits that I will get the car in first lot. The MG dealers are playing bad game I presume.
Exactly my case. I too paid 49k as "Offline Booking" amount on Oct.9th. The dealer mentioned that those who paid first will get priority delivery. I was later told my car would only be delivered in December despite me being one of the very first persons to book the car. Now the MyMG app says the car will only be delivered in Q1 2022 .
I hate being taken for a ride.

Last edited by riturajsharma19 : 7th November 2021 at 20:28.
Old 7th November 2021, 21:58   #917
BHPian

After reading multiple instances of booking mismanagement by MG, checked the status of our cancelled booking and we, unsurprisingly, saw that it's still open and the car to be delivered in Q1 2022. Ridiculous!! MG doesn't seem to have any clue how to handle things at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211107214035_my-mg.jpg  

Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 23:34   #918
BHPian

My Team-BHP membership was approved today morning and I am overjoyed to join this forum and to be able to post here 😊

I am also one of the customers who booked Astor on the 21st of Oct (within first few minutes after the booking was open). My booking is for 1.5 CVT Savvy variant and I must say that my experience with MG has been less than stellar so far.

We were in Kerala till last week of Oct and I had visited the Calicut showroom even before the booking was made. They did not have a 1.5 CVT available then and I took test drive of 1.3 turbo AT. Later they did get a CVT variant, but to be shared between Calicut and Kannur dealerships. Every time I made the enquiry the vehicle was unfortunately in Kannur and though it was promised during all my calls, they never got back to me when the car was available in Calicut and hence could not get a test drive for the car of my choice from here.

I am in Bangalore for more than a week and though I thought I would have higher chance of success with Bangalore ORR show room (who actually has my booking and should ideally be a bit more proactive), the story has not been very different. According to my sales advisor, their test drive car (CVT variant) has met with an accident and they do not know when it will be back. We visited the Hosur Road show room over the weekend, and I was able to finally drive the car, but it was a very short one (~2kms). According to the executives here, they have permission for only short drives in the vicinity of the show room.

My sales advisor from the ORR showroom has offered me that I can visit the Kalyan Nagar branch and take a test drive, but still not committing for a long test drive.

The dilemma now:

What we like in the Astor:

- We loved the interiors (as others have mentioned here, the AI assistant is an instant hit with my daughter, though in my opinion, I like most other things in the car, but this &#128522
- Value for money quotient. Seltos does not offer a fully loaded variant with the IVT and Astor offers much more value for almost the same price (HTX IVT vs 1.5 Sharp CVT). Though Creta offers SX (O) in 1.5 IVT, it comes at a much higher price point.

What we are not sure:

- Still not very sure how the car drives. From my short drive, I felt the engine response was acceptable for my style of driving, but I felt the brakes were very week (I did not feel this when I took test drive of the 1.3 turbo, though). As per the sales executive, the car is due for servicing and brake issue will be fixed. Now he may be right, but I cannot commit to a car without clearing all my apprehensions. Did any other BHPians felt any issue with braking performance?

- Why the 1.5 CVT is not widely available for test drive is really puzzling for me. Do they suspect that the performance is not up to the mark? Is the fuel efficiency too low? (and they don’t want people to have opportunity to reset trip meter and measure it on a long test drive?)

- How the iconic ivory interior theme looks – well, no demo / test drive car available with default interior color theme in any of the three show rooms I visited – what a shame (while we liked the Sangria red, we were not very sure how it will age and hence chose iconic ivory)

Now, all the sales executives whom I have interacted were courteous and nothing to complain in this regard. May be they were overwhelmed with the response and as a result overloaded. In any case, I feel that MG has not managed this launch well (especially the 1.5 NA engine variant) and has lost some goodwill that they earned with Hector. I have been told that we will get the car in 2021 (though the app shows Q1 2022). While we are not really dropping the plans to purchase this car yet, will do so only after being fully satisfied.
satnan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 09:11   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnan View Post
My Team-BHP membership was approved today morning and I am overjoyed to join this forum and to be able to post here 😊
Welcome! I'm a relatively new member too!(By a year)

Quote:
I am in Bangalore for more than a week and though I thought I would have higher chance of success with Bangalore ORR show room (who actually has my booking and should ideally be a bit more proactive), the story has not been very different. According to my sales advisor, their test drive car (CVT variant) has met with an accident and they do not know when it will be back. We visited the Hosur Road show room over the weekend, and I was able to finally drive the car, but it was a very short one (~2kms). According to the executives here, they have permission for only short drives in the vicinity of the show room.
That's quite surprising as i e had good experiences so far. I visited the E-City showroom during the prelaunch week and they had only the Turbo for Test drive. But they let me do a good 5km loop and take one or two short stretches of gravel to see how the suspension feels over bad surfaces.

I did something similar in MG Coimbatore and though I was always looking for the Turbo, they always had the CVT variant available for test drive as well. It was readily available and I went thrice to MG Coimbatore each time with a different family member.
immortalmechano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 11:59   #920

Quote:
What we are not sure:

- Still not very sure how the car drives. From my short drive, I felt the engine response was acceptable for my style of driving, but I felt the brakes were very week (I did not feel this when I took test drive of the 1.3 turbo, though). As per the sales executive, the car is due for servicing and brake issue will be fixed. Now he may be right, but I cannot commit to a car without clearing all my apprehensions. Did any other BHPians felt any issue with braking performance?

- Why the 1.5 CVT is not widely available for test drive is really puzzling for me. Do they suspect that the performance is not up to the mark? Is the fuel efficiency too low? (and they don’t want people to have opportunity to reset trip meter and measure it on a long test drive?)

- How the iconic ivory interior theme looks – well, no demo / test drive car available with default interior color theme in any of the three show rooms I visited – what a shame (while we liked the Sangria red, we were not very sure how it will age and hence chose iconic ivory)

Hi. Yours seem to be a one-off case. I have had excellent experience so far with MG-OMR in Chennai. Let me try to clear your doubts.

I have test-driven Turbo variant twice and CVT variant almost 4 times and everytime, the test drive was for a minimum of 6 kms. The relationship manager was courteous enough to allow me test-drive the vehicle in different roads.

My observations:
1. The turbo engine is very peppy to drive. It has an initial lag but has good acceleration once it crosses 20-25 km mark. The only place I found it difficult to drive the car was in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The car was on Auto-hold and even the slight press of accelerator, made the car jump and move forward significantly.

2. CVT engine, though it was not as powerful as turbo variant, the acceleration was very linear and smooth. The Drive mode is more than sufficient for City driving and you have SPORTS mode for Highway driving, if required. No complaints about CVT engine though the pickup was little slow.

3. On the braking, there was no problem at all, the brakes were perfectly fine , even for hard-braking.

4. 1 car that I had test-driven had ivory interiors and it looked very premium. The soft finish was the differentiator and looked very premium when compared to the likes of CRETA and my i20. You can go for it eyes-closed.

5. The only problem i see, is with the mileage. I reset the trip meter every time i test-drove and the maximum mileage that I was able to extract was 9 kmpl in CVT variant in medium traffic (with 2 minutes halt in 2 signals).

Seltos IVT top variant comes with only 2 airbags, no 360 degree camera, no blind-spot monitoring. Am on the same boat as you, I would suggest you to go with Astor if mileage/rear seat comfort is not a problem!! Astor is definitely a VFM car..

Cheers!!
kings2306 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 12:08   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Exactly my case. I too paid 49k as "Offline Booking" amount on Oct.9th. The dealer mentioned that those who paid first will get priority delivery. I was later told my car would only be delivered in December despite me being one of the very first persons to book the car. Now the MyMG app says the car will only be delivered in Q1 2022 .
I hate being taken for a ride.
Spoke to the manager at the dealership. He told me to send a mail for refund of excess amount and they will remit back. On car delivery, they are saying that company is directly monitoring and dealer has no choice but to wait. Seems MG Motors is not equipped to handle such large volume salws
kashd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:46   #922

Got an update from the dealer that my delivery is scheduled for Jan/Feb22 despite the booking being done in the 1st few minutes and the relationship manager confirming regularly that i will get it in Nov/Dec21 period. The relationship manager is clueless about how that was possible and gave a lame reason that those variant/model maybe planned for production in 2022. Not sure how MG is planning. Quite surprising and frustrating. NOTE: the allotment sheet for nov/dec already sent by MG. Hope others are having better luck than me.
Old 8th November 2021, 19:38   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalmechano View Post

I did something similar in MG Coimbatore and though I was always looking for the Turbo, they always had the CVT variant available for test drive as well. It was readily available and I went thrice to MG Coimbatore each time with a different family member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings2306 View Post
Hi. Yours seem to be a one-off case. I have had excellent experience so far with MG-OMR in Chennai. Let me try to clear your doubts.

I have test-driven Turbo variant twice and CVT variant almost 4 times and everytime, the test drive was for a minimum of 6 kms. The relationship manager was courteous enough to allow me test-drive the vehicle in different roads.
Thank you immortalmechano and kings2306. Great to know that you have had only good experiences. I would also like to believe that mine is a one off case and your comments are indeed reassuring.

Quote:
CVT engine, though it was not as powerful as turbo variant, the acceleration was very linear and smooth. The Drive mode is more than sufficient for City driving and you have SPORTS mode for Highway driving, if required. No complaints about CVT engine though the pickup was little slow.
Quote:
On the braking, there was no problem at all, the brakes were perfectly fine , even for hard-braking.
Quote:
1 car that I had test-driven had ivory interiors and it looked very premium. The soft finish was the differentiator and looked very premium when compared to the likes of CRETA and my i20. You can go for it eyes-closed.

Thanks much for these specific feedbacks on the CVT variant. Even in my short drive, I felt the engine performance to be adequate, though I would still ask for a longer drive in an open road before deciding. About brakes, the turbo variant I drove also did not have any issues and most likely an issue specific to that particular car as also suggested by the sales executive.

Quote:
The only problem i see, is with the mileage. I reset the trip meter every time i test-drove and the maximum mileage that I was able to extract was 9 kmpl in CVT variant in medium traffic (with 2 minutes halt in 2 signals).
Ok, if I am able to get 9-10kmpl in moderate city traffic, it may not be a deal breaker. I was really concerned about the 5-6kmpl number that few other BHPians mentioned previously in the thread.

Quote:
Seltos IVT top variant comes with only 2 airbags, no 360 degree camera, no blind-spot monitoring. Am on the same boat as you, I would suggest you to go with Astor if mileage/rear seat comfort is not a problem!! Astor is definitely a VFM car..
Cannot agree more. Seltos HTX also seem to miss on Driver side power Seat, rain sensing wipers etc though it does get tilt and telescopic steering whereas Astor only gets Tilt steering.
Old 9th November 2021, 00:39   #924

Got a call from my dealer, that my booking ( 220 Turbo AT Saavy Glazed Red) will be delivered by Nov/Dec time. Really looking forward to the car and will keep you guys updated.
dishankbhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 09:48   #925

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Hyderabad delivery pics for MG Astor posted by sales advisor today on what's app. I am not one of them.

If anyone is from TBHP had taken a delivery in the city of 4Minars then hearty congratulations.
Attachment 2228716

Is that Banjara Hills branch?
Old 9th November 2021, 10:03   #926
BHPian

One thing which baffles me is that now since a handful of deliveries for Astor have already been made, how are we still not sure on the ground clearance and mileage numbers! Shouldn't those information be included in the user manual as a part of car delivery? Something looks fishy and worrying here!
Varun_G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:47   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praneeth999 View Post
Is that Banjara Hills branch?
Yes, these are the deliveries at Banjara Hills dealership.
Old 9th November 2021, 13:02   #928
BHPian

Bulk delivery of 30 cars is planned for tomorrow in Bangalore, Whitefield area. I could have got mine if my financing was thru... Will get it next week perhaps.
JoBlo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 13:06   #929
BHPian

Do you guys not think what MG has been doing is unethical at best and outright illegal at worst? I mean, they release a product promising 1st 5000 deliveries to be done this year. Now, they are completely opaque about the allotment process and they are only delivering top models, with timelines for Style and Super variant between 6-9 months.

I mean it is there prerogative if they want to sell only top models but then that should have been transparently mentioned during the booking, no? Their customer service claims delay due to chip shortage - is chip shortage only for lower models?

I am part of a couple of WhatsApp groups and there are so many like me who cancelled bookings and did not take delivery of other cars because they were promised delivery before December by dealer.

Do you think this merits a legal action against the company on grounds of false marketing/intentional misinformation? I think we should take a stand against such shady practices by companies (I shouldn't be surprised, after all MG is only living up to its Chinese values).
maverick88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 14:14   #930
BHPian

Yeah I agree. Why take in the booking, if you're not going to put in the least bit of effort to honour it. Wasting our time and money (advance amount).
They should've at least put in a limitation to the number of base model orders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks