BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by praneeth999 View Post

5 year/1L KM Warranty Price -- ₹17,600.00
RSA Price 5 years -- ₹2,900.00
Protect Plan Price (classic, 5 year/50k KM) --₹29,000.00
Total -- ₹49,500.00
Can you please update, what all is included in the protect plan? Does it include all the service costs? If so, it seems like a great price

Last edited by nasir88 : 5th November 2021 at 09:43.
Old 5th November 2021, 09:44   #902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
MG is quite inconsistent. Some Astors have the "Morris Garages" badge in the front and some don't. Also, still no news about availability of 1.5 MT base model for test drives.
From what I understand, that badge is part of the accessories on offer.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2021 at 22:25. Reason: Quote fixed.
ashutoshjoshi00 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 16:08   #903

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings2306 View Post
I was one of the early bees who bought Elite i20 in 2014. I own an i20 Asta 1.2 2014 Petrol variant model and have driven only 50000 kms in 7 years. My i20 bought at Rs. 6.7 lakhs OTR, has been a gem, literally trouble-free, very light on maintenance, sufficient for my family of 4 (3 adults + 1 kid).
Dear All,

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and inputs. In continuation to my previous post, am still confused and not able to make any decision yet.

I have booked Astor CVT Sharp (O) (Glaze Red with Sangria Red interiors) variant on Oct 21st and my dealer-relationship manager is sure of getting my car delivered in the first lot. Like most of you had commented, Astor did not feel like a real upgrade from my Elite i20 (Asta), hence after much deliberation, decided to extend my budget and go for the Savvy variant with ADAS, just to make a point that am upgrading to a technologically superior car.

Meanwhile, I had test-driven SELTOS twice in the last 20 days and felt the car to be more powerful/comfortable. Am now not able to decide between SELTOS and Astor. Would summarize what I like and what is missing, request the forum members to pour in your suggestions.

MG ASTOR CVT SHARP (O):
Onroad price - Approx Rs. 19,10,000/- (Chennai without addon's)

What I liked!!
1. 6 airbags and 5 star safety rating (most probably)
2. Premium interiors
3. Panoramic Sunroof
4. AI Bot (Though was not very responsive, it was an instant hit with my daughter)
5. Optimal rear seat height - My mom, a senior citizen was able to board/deboard with ease

Some points that were missing/that we did not like!!
1. Rear seat comfort - Missing thigh-support will make long drives painful for rear occupants. (My i20's rear seat holds our thighs in good position)
2. Poor mileage - In all test drives, the maximum mileage that we were able to get was only 9 kmpl (in a divided 4 way lane in OMR with moderate traffic)
3. Poor power - The CVT engine was not peppy at all but the acceleration is smooth and linear and more than sufficient for city rides but in highways, overtakes have to be properly planned
4. The rear of Astor looks more like a hatchback (when my i20 and Astor were parked next to each other, the only difference i could make out was some increased height in astor
5. No auto-dimming IVRM (Even my i20 has it)
6. No ventilated seats (when compared to Seltos)
7. Some features were missing when compared to Seltos (Air quality meter, Rear window sunshades, phone-holder next to rear charging points)

SELTOS GTX Plus 1.4T Petrol:
On-Road Price - Rs. 20,10,000/- without add-on's

The reason behind shortlisting this variant is because of 6 airbags - Kia offers 6 airbags only in top variants.

What I liked!!
1. Powerful and peppy engine: The car was fun to drive. Offers very good acceleration/low NVH levels - Handled potholes better than Astor
2. Excellent rear sear seat comfort - The rear seat provided good thigh support and was very comfortable with both the seating positions (normal and reclined)
3. Car loaded with features - Ventilated seats/Auto-dimming IRVM, Air quality index meter, rear window sunshade, mobile holder near rear charging point, etc
4. Decent mileage - We were getting a mileage of 14-15 kmpl in the same stretch of road where Astor returned a mileage of 9 kmpl

Some points that were missing/that we did not like!!
1. Poor crash rating of 3 - Will 6 airbags/ESP/Brake assistance help in compensating the poor rating to an extent?
2. Though Sunroof is present, cannot compare it with Astor's and CRETA's panoramic sunroof.
3. Interiors were premium but cannot it with Astor's

Other points that we considered when shortlisting the car:
1. We did not like the CRETA mainly due to 2 reasons
- We did not like the looks of new-gen CRETA (subjective)
- The feel of the car was exactly similar to my i20 (except the Sunroof)
2. We did not consider Harrier/XUV700/Hector due to the sheer size of the vehicles. Parking space is cramped in my apartment and this segment car will not fit in.

Please pour in your suggestions - I will have to decide quickly - I do not want to say NO after my booked Astor is allocated to me.

1. Should I go with Astor CVT Sharp (O) or Seltos GTX+
2. Should I wait for 2 years for facelift version of Creta/Seltos - but worried that I will have to pay approx 2 lakhs extra for the New looks+ Improved features + same engine transmission + same poor safety ratings

Request your suggestions!!

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2021 at 22:26. Reason: Quote trimmed. Smileys removed. Please proof-read before posting.
kings2306 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 17:56   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Should I wait for 2 years for facelift version of Creta/Seltos - but worried that I will have to pay approx 2 lakhs extra for the New looks+ Improved features + same engine transmission + same poor safety ratings

Watched one video in which the reviewer measures the rear seat height, width and legroom and in all Astor was more than Seltos. However, as you rightly pointed out, the thigh support could have been better on Astor

3 Star rating for a car costing 20L is something that always plays on my mind when I look at Seltos. I hope Astor gets crash tested soon enough to find out if its safe or the safety is just perceived.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 20:34   #905

Quote:
I would recommend the Astor. Better bang for your buck and better safety compared to the Seltos. Tradeoff is the lack of initial pickup if you compare the similar spec Seltos.
I have also booked the Creta and the scheduled delivery is in April-May. The Creta facelift will be In india after mid of 2022 and will have all the bells and whistles Astor provides now. I need a car in the near future. I cannot wait a year and hence I am inclined to go with the Astor. Depends on how soon you want your set of wheels I guess.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2021 at 22:27. Reason: Quote trimmed.
The_Duke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 00:26   #906

Quote:

SELTOS GTX Plus 1.4T Petrol:
On-Road Price - Rs. 20,10,000/- without add-on's

The reason behind shortlisting this variant is because of 6 airbags - Kia offers 6 airbags only in top variants.

1. Poor crash rating of 3 - Will 6 airbags/ESP/Brake assistance help in compensating the poor rating to an extent?

I think there's no perfect vehicle and we take some and lose some to increase our conviction to finalize one at last. Safety and tech are something which weighs high in my mind and hence I had booked the ASTOR.

1. The Seltos GTX comes with DCT which comes with its own troubles. Check this post - https://www.team-bhp.com/news/would-...ar-india-today

Except for work, I travel with family. CVT gets the job done well.

2. Kia Seltos previously scored a 5-star rating in the Global NCAP crash test and a 5-star rating in the ANCAP crash test. The test vehicle used by ANCAP had six airbags and safety assist systems as standard. Source: HT Auto.
So, GTX model with 6 airbags and safety features (especially electronic stability control) ideally should provide better safety than the model which scored 3* (which had only dual front airbags).

3. If you are in no hurry, there would always be better technology, improved vehicle in the next 2 years. But IMHO getting an Astor today is not a bad deal, of course with few compromises.
RLN_CHN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 08:57   #907
BHPian

Quote:

I would prefer Astor given that you aren't looking at larger car.
Reasons:
1) Astor is based on ZS platform (5 star NCAP) rating. Also it offers 49 something safety features. You are fully protected with latest tech which won't make you feel outdated in long term. Creta and Seltos share same 3 star rated platfrom (one compromised for India, compared to Australia's 5 star rated platform). Even after paying 20L, you will be driving a car with UNSTABLE body. Not sure if 6 airbags will help.

2) Comparison of CVT of Astor with Turbo of Seltos isn't right. If you need a bit more puch, you must consider turbo with TC in Astor. But trust me, good or bad thing about MG is that all their gearboxes are tuned to operate in linear fashion. Their CVT is practically good to live with.

3) Astor has crossover looks, hence looks lot like elite i20, whereas most of the other cars are boxy to give that compact SUV feel. Though dimensions wise Astor is bigger. (Interesting thing is that all these cars are elevated hatcbacks sold as SUV in India , hence whichever looks good to you and family should get this point!)

4) Astor has less waiting period compared to long long waiting for Korean siblings. By the time they deliver cars, 1-2 price hikes will take place. Also the excitement fizzle out if wait is longer.

5) Last - Only negatives for Astor are its China link on paper and less spread out network. (Both didn't matter to me as I booked Hector CVT last week).

MG has done a good job by prioritising SAFETY! Till now only Tata and M&M were boosting about safety and NCAP. Hopefully in next 2-3 years people will realise more about its importance and stop driving Maruti and Korean cars with poor rating and unstable body shell. With current waiting on Korean cars, I don't think these companies will bother to even think about safety.
manpreetsj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:41   #908

The MG app is now showing expected delivery dates.
For me it is showing Q1 2022 even though I have an email from my dealer confirming the delivery will be done this year.
Those who can't see the delivery date need to update the app and check.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-img_20211106_103901.jpg  

The_Duke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:41   #909

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post
Can you please update, what all is included in the protect plan? Does it include all the service costs? If so, it seems like a great price
Here's what I found in the MG Website, complete my booking page:

PROTECT PLANS:
Easy and convenient maintenance plans for your MG up to 5 Years with packages starting at INR 8,000.
- Protection from inflation
- Savings from day 1
Classic: Scheduled Maintenance Plans
Premium: Scheduled Maintenance + Wear and Tear Plans (excluding Tyre, battery and collisions)
Elite: Scheduled Maintenance + Wear and Tear Plans (Including Tyre and battery)
RLN_CHN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:50   #910

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Duke View Post
For me it is showing Q1 2022 even though I have an email from my dealer confirming the delivery will be done this year.
Looks like a standard timeline. It is showing as Q1 2022 for those who may get it this year and for others it is showing 6-9 months.
praneeth999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 10:39   #911

Quote:
Looks like a standard timeline. It is showing as Q1 2022 for those who may get it this year and for others it is showing 6-9 months.
Even I am getting the delivery date as 20-22 weeks even though I was confirmed by the dealer that I will definitely get in the 2021 batch. Not sure why MG is not being transparent with the delivery estimates.
Sammy1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 15:17   #912
BHPian

Hyderabad delivery pics for MG Astor posted by sales advisor today on what's app. I am not one of them.

If anyone is from TBHP had taken a delivery in the city of 4Minars then hearty congratulations.
MG Astor Review-30190.jpg
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 15:48   #913
BHPian

Booked astor cvt with adas on 11th Oct at MG Kolkata South. They took Rs 49k as deposit. Later found out deposit is 21k.

Now the app is showing delivery Q1 22. The sales rep unable to answer. Total lack of transparency from MG. Sales rep only commits that I will get the car in first lot. The MG dealers are playing bad game I presume.

Quote:
Same with me after booking on 11th Oct 21 through MG kolkata south. The dealers are playing games

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2021 at 21:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged
kashd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 15:59   #914

Quote:
Are you sure that's the case ? I checked the MG app ( for me too its Q1 2022) and I spoke to my Relationship Manager who had convinced me before that my booking is for the first 5000 cars only.
He is clueless now, and is saying that allotment is happening directly from MG's end and dealerships are not aware. Customers are getting direct mails for allotment. And since there was no price protection we would have to pay the new prices and get our cars in Jan/Feb maybe.
Old 7th November 2021, 16:11   #915

Quote:
Hi All!

This is my first post here. I have booked an MG Astor Sharp (O) 220 Turbo. I had got a call from the dealer and they told me that I can expect delivery of my vehicle in December. They asked me to start the process of the bank loan because we would have 5 days from the day of allotment to complete the purchase.

For me also once I updated the app, it showed delivery date as Q1'22. I got in touch with my SA to clarify and he confirmed that my vehicle is indeed earmarked for December and he showed me an excel with a list of names with the months against them and mine was there with the month as December. The list only had the deliveries alloted between Oct to Dec'21.
pranji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks