Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 23:39   #1021
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravm_89 View Post
Now that people are taking deliveries, how's the mileage/FE concerns coming along? What is the real-world mixed mileage FE looking like?

I have booked the Astor Sharp AT as my main option; but also booked the seltos Xline DCT and Creta SX O DCT (Talk about keeping all options open :P )
The only reason i am unable to take a 100% mental plunge on the astor is the thought that I'll get an average FE of 10 kmph- which is the same woe i had with my i20.
That I cant live with, especially when the Seltos DCT can give an FE of 15-16 .
From what I gather it all depends on how you drive. That the Seltos dct gives 15 is news to me as my cousin gets only 10-11. Astor Turbo AT owners have reported ranges from 10-19 so far on the WhatsApp groups I'm a part of.
immortalmechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 23:43   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only reason i am unable to take a 100% mental plunge on the astor is the thought that I'll get an average FE of 10 kmph- which is the same woe i had with my i20.
That I cant live with, especially when the Seltos DCT can give an FE of 15-16 .
Seltos DCT giving 15-16 average in city sounds like too good to be true. Are you comparing apples to apples?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 30th November 2021 at 23:45.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 07:39   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBlo View Post
Has anyone figured out how to turn off the voice assistant on the Astor for good? It is very irritating and I am not a fan of it's voice and tone. It sounds bored and condescending at the same time.

It announces non-existent speed breakers and unnecessary curves ahead even when I am not using navigation. Maybe the warnings are coming from ADAS, which is reading road signs...will need to turn that off and see. It wants to announce something or the other VERY frequently and it disturbs an otherwise peaceful drive, lowering the music volume each time.

Even when using Android Auto, the assistant button on the steering wheel invokes Astor's assistant and not Google Assistant. I was hoping to use Google Assistant and totally silence Astor. I thought I could just issue a voice command to Google, but the car's microphone seems non-functional when I say "OK Google". Android auto is not receiving my inputs. I use Google Assistant heavily and I feel a bit let down
I managed to silence the bot. I still am not sure what combination worked (button below bot, or nav settings), but has a pleasant drive yesterday.

Android Auto has been horribly implemented. The inconsistency in transferring my voice to Google is still there. Another ridiculous thing is when I clicked on the mic icon on the screen, and asked it to call someone, it connected the call on my mobile phone speaker. it still refuses to read my messages and most of my voice commands are ignored. Will do a factory reset of the unit and see.
JoBlo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 11:32   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Seltos DCT giving 15-16 average in city sounds like too good to be true. Are you comparing apples to apples?
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalmechano View Post
From what I gather it all depends on how you drive. That the Seltos dct gives 15 is news to me as my cousin gets only 10-11. Astor Turbo AT owners have reported ranges from 10-19 so far on the WhatsApp groups I'm a part of.
No maybe i misquoted- i was talking about general "mixed" FE of 15-16 kmph for the Seltos DCT, vs 10 for Astor.
For pure city traffic ,Im hearing 7-8 kmph FE for Astor , and 10-12 FE for Seltos DCT.
For Highway Cruising, Astor apparently is in the 10-12 range, especially with a bit of spirited driving (which is where my concern is), while Seltos DCT seems to provide be in the 15-16 range.

(Again, my figures may be quite off, which is why such inputs are so helpful) Bhpians- Feel free to correct me, it will greatly help my decision making
Old 1st December 2021, 16:50   #1025

Quote:
No maybe i misquoted- i was talking about general "mixed" FE of 15-16 kmph for the Seltos DCT, vs 10 for Astor.
For pure city traffic ,Im hearing 7-8 kmph FE for Astor , and 10-12 FE for Seltos DCT.
For Highway Cruising, Astor apparently is in the 10-12 range, especially with a bit of spirited driving (which is where my concern is), while Seltos DCT seems to provide be in the 15-16 range.

(Again, my figures may be quite off, which is why such inputs are so helpful) Bhpians- Feel free to correct me, it will greatly help my decision making
Check this owner review. For a 100 KM drive with AC on, he has got 18.5-19 FE. And overall with 200 KM drive shows 18 KMPL... We need to see more such owner reviews to understand real world mileage. Also depends on the driver's driving style.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5195594 (MG Astor Review)
Old 1st December 2021, 18:53   #1026

Quote:

A close friend of mine has a Seltos DCT and I have driven his car multiple times. In fact it was his experience of Kia service and the car that swayed me towards the Astor (among the other things that Astor has going for it). But with regards to FE, he is getting only 7 kmpl in Bangalore City. He and his wife both are quite heavy on the pedal so that could very well be the reason. His reasoning is that a turbo DCT is to be floored and enjoyed so that is that I guess

I also know Hector owners who get 5 kmpl and also 11 kmpl in the same Bangalore traffic. So I'm short like everyone says, it is just down to our own driving style I guess.
pranji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 20:10   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
I have done around 900+ KM in my Astor 1.3Turbo.
With AC on always and with sedate driving style(not pushing much as odo is still below 1K) I am getting around 12kmpl in city and 17-18kmpl easily in highways.
(All figures as per MID, i am yet to do tank to tank test).

From city drives

This ride was through a congested road with crawling traffic for a good part of the journey (road with metro construction on going)
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211129091847_whatsapp.jpg

In normal city traffic

MG Astor Review-20211117_145404.jpg

In Highway

MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211114220456_whatsapp.jpg

MG Astor Review-20211120_160052.jpg

With SAS set at 80km manually without cruise control
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20211129091917_whatsapp.jpg

The average FE so far is around 14.5kmpl.
(Astor MID has FE info available in multiples of 0.5 and not 0.1)

Last edited by Sheel : 1st December 2021 at 20:54. Reason: No discussion about car brand specific WhatsApp groups please. Thank You!
ranjitht87 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 20:15   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitht87 View Post
With AC on always and with sedate driving style(not pushing much as odo is still below 1K) I am getting around 12kmpl in city and 17-18kmpl easily in highways.
Very Interesting ! Helps a lot to dispel some doubts.
Although even i have observed this extreme variation in reported figures (Some have even reported 6 kmph odd! which scares you)
I wonder why that is- there is only so much variation that driving style can induce, I'd presume

Last edited by Sheel : 1st December 2021 at 20:55. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
Old 1st December 2021, 23:56   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitht87 View Post
Wow!

This is very helpful. Thank you for sharing real life fuel efficiency with us . This should serve as a reference point for a lot of potential customers.
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 07:42   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Very Interesting ! Helps a lot to dispel some doubts.
Although even i have observed this extreme variation in reported figures (Some have even reported 6 kmph odd! which scares you)
I wonder why that is- there is only so much variation that driving style can induce, I'd presume
My cumulative FE improved from 5 to 7, after 142 km(WFH effect, along with kid's board exam ). No highway rides yet, and mostly city traffic at 40 kmph on average (one or two bursts of 60 and 80 kmph). The onboard FE shows 9 to 12 sometimes, based on my driving. Will do a tank to tank and let you know.
JoBlo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 08:33   #1031

Eagerly waiting eagerlyfor a comprehensive Initial ownership review .
I booked Savvy CVT version in November second week.

MG app says I will get the car in Q1-2022.Hopefully my choice of CVT justifiable as I drive 75% within city and 25% on highways.

Fingers crossed!
Old 2nd December 2021, 15:43   #1032
BHPian

Hello, Hearing different mileage figures from different reviewers and even owners, may be driving style or TD vehicle condition, I think it is safe to assume 8-10km/l in city and 12-14km/l on highways with the CVT.

SUPER CVT lacking many features, so not considering it. Could some please help to understand the key differences between SMART CVT, SHARP (O) CVT and SHARP (Red) CVT?

I checked on few websites, all 3 variants seem to have same features from airbags to sunroof to headlights etc but SMART CVT is 1lakh less than SHARP (O) CVT and SHARP (Red) is just 15k more than SHARP (O) CVT (It may be just that Red interiors). What about SMART CVT and SHARP (O) CVT?
Old 2nd December 2021, 16:02   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
SUPER CVT lacking many features, so not considering it. Could some please help to understand the key differences between SMART CVT, SHARP (O) CVT and SHARP (Red) CVT?
The Following Features that Sharp has over Smart

• R17 Machine Finished Alloys
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • 6 Way Powered Driver Seat
  • Rain Sensing Wipers
  • 360° Camera
  • Blind Spot Detection
  • Lane Change Assist
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert

All the above features are worth the premium of 80-100k over Smart Variant.

Sharp Red gets Red and Black Interiors while Sharp AT gets All Black Interiors and Sharp CVT has Black and Beige Interiors.

I had booked Astor Style MT & Also a Volkswagen Taigun 1.0 TSI AT Topline. While the Taigun arrived home on the eve of Diwali, there is no sign of Astor whatsoever.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:26   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
Hello, Hearing different mileage figures from different reviewers and even owners, may be driving style or TD vehicle condition, I think it is safe to assume 8-10km/l in city and 12-14km/l on highways with the CVT.

I checked on few websites, all 3 variants seem to have same features from airbags to sunroof to headlights etc but SMART CVT is 1lakh less than SHARP (O) CVT and SHARP (Red) is just 15k more than SHARP (O) CVT (It may be just that Red interiors). What about SMART CVT and SHARP (O) CVT?
Since difference in features already shared . Here is a detailed video on mileage from a owner(CVT) under different conditions . Hope this helps

tamilzu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 15:38   #1035
BHPian

Today I took a short test drive of MG Astor Sharp 1.5 CVT with ADAS.

Since there are a numerous reviews already, I will just put my discrete observations (some compared to Duster):

I did test drive of 15kms in the outskirts of Bangalore (Begur road crossing NICE road), no one turned their heads (black didn’t catch attention?) !!!

What I liked:
• Premium looks inside out, black test drive car looked awesome
• Grill, headlights, backlights, panoramic sunroof, alloys
• Interiors, Silent cabin, materials quality, perforated & supportive seats, steering, infotainment system, dashboard layout
• Oozes quality everywhere, technology and feature rich, feels safe as well (GNCAP pending though)

What I didn’t like:
• Crossoverish looks, looks a size smaller in-front of Duster
• Boot is at max 430 liters, GC 185mm, ARAI fuel economy unknown (MG shying to declare)
• Ivory interiors and Ivory seats can get soiled fast, my choice is all black
• Lack of under thigh support at back and big hump in the middle

It has a linear pick up, drives great (no adrenaline rush) till 70-80kmph. After 80kmph, though it was picking speed, I felt something was holding it back. Like I could hear engine noise increasing but vehicle was not moving in that free flow, may be I need to take on to open highways and test again (or I don’t know this is how CVTs behave !!). When I floor my Duster, it accelerates with free flow.

Overtaking has to be planned, sudden pick up is not there. Same with Duster AMT (CVT is better here)

Duster has 475ltrs boot, Astor has only 430ltrs.

When I started fuel economy was showing 5.5kmpl with other’s test drives, I reset to zero, after finishing my 15km drive, it was 7kmpl. Duster Diesel gives 12 in city and 16 on highways (I know it’s not apple to apple comparison)

Music system was decent not great, he played some Hindi movie songs. I was expecting better quality music in a 20L car.

It has got many features like ADAS, 360° Camera, Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist etc which are leagues ahead of Duster. I expect ventilated seats and auto dimming mirrors in a 20L car.
MG Astor Review-astorsharp1.jpeg

MG Astor Review-astorsharp2.jpeg

MG Astor Review-astorsharp3.jpeg

MG Astor Review-astorsharp4.jpeg
hummer is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks