Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2023, 18:43   #1456

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscrazy22 View Post
What accessories are you looking for? The dealer should give the basic kit that consist of 3d mats, screenguard, mudflaps, body cover and a few other things. I have purchased extended warranty. Should be useful unless you are looking to bake changes to electrical's or wheels etc in which case specific components may loose cover. It's about 20K for RSA and EW for two years with a limit of 1L KM. Looked reasonable to me if you are planning to keep the car for 5 years.

Hi!
Thanks for the info. Im planned to keep this ride for 5-6 years at least.
Old 28th December 2023, 20:51   #1457
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterminded View Post
Hey guys,

1. Should we consider purchasing any accessories from the dealer or after market is good enough?

2. Is it recommended to buy additional warranty and the service packages offered by MG? I might be covering approx 15k kms per year max.
Hi man, I would highly suggest you to NOT get extended warranty. I had a horrible experience claiming warranty for one of my problems: Flimsy Sun Visor. MG was adamant that it was my fault, and I had to pay Rs. 8000 for the charges and warranty was not covered. Waste of money IMHO.

I'd recommend you to get the mudflaps and the 3d mats only from MG. Later, get your car ceramic coated from a professional detailer. The Silver color will become dull after 1.5-2 years of abuse (my case, luckily ceramic coating saved me by 90%). Worth the money. Also, get some feel-good accessories such as ambient lighting and auto-dimming IRVM from third party
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 09:39   #1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
Hi man, I would highly suggest you to NOT get extended warranty. I had a horrible experience claiming warranty for one of my problems: Flimsy Sun Visor. MG was adamant that it was my fault, and I had to pay Rs. 8000 for the charges and warranty was not covered. Waste of money IMHO.

I'd recommend you to get the mudflaps and the 3d mats only from MG. Later, get your car ceramic coated from a professional detailer. The Silver color will become dull after 1.5-2 years of abuse (my case, luckily ceramic coating saved me by 90%). Worth the money. Also, get some feel-good accessories such as ambient lighting and auto-dimming IRVM from third party
Oh! Yea there are lot of ifs and buts for any type of warranty in any given industry. So what about the Service Packages? Are they worth it?
Old 29th December 2023, 13:27   #1459

Quote:
Oh! Yea there are lot of ifs and buts for any type of warranty in any given industry. So what about the Service Packages? Are they worth it?
If you look at the cost of service package and compare to individual services then it comes out costlier. The warranty for me is for mechanical and electrical components, say a fuel pump, alternator etc. These are all very costly and are usually covered in warranty without many if's and but's. Even a sensor failure can cost a bomb in modern cars. But it's individuals call. Warranty is something that I am glad I have but hope I never use it. Same goes for Insurance.
carscrazy22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 14:55   #1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscrazy22 View Post
If you look at the cost of service package and compare to individual services then it comes out costlier. The warranty for me is for mechanical and electrical components, say a fuel pump, alternator etc. These are all very costly and are usually covered in warranty without many if's and but's. Even a sensor failure can cost a bomb in modern cars. But it's individuals call. Warranty is something that I am glad I have but hope I never use it. Same goes for Insurance.
Hey Bro!

Thanks for the recommendation. Even I feel warranty is worth better than Service Package.
Also, I don’t intend to get any modifications done electronically or physically. So I guess claims shouldn’t be an issue if you aint messing with the wires or any other product.

I have attached the following quote from the dealer. Is this the right price for warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-29a927f2a869455381099e160bc0135d.jpeg  

Old 29th December 2023, 15:23   #1461

Quote:
Hey Bro!

Thanks for the recommendation. Even I feel warranty is worth better than Service Package.
Also, I don’t intend to get any modifications done electronically or physically. So I guess claims shouldn’t be an issue if you aint messing with the wires or any other product.

I have attached the following quote from the dealer. Is this the right price for warranty?
I paid 17910 for EW + RSA at first service in Oct, 23. Mileage was just over 600 Km. So, looks okay. I think I paid a bit extra because car was more than a month old. You can check if RSA is included.
Old 31st December 2023, 15:06   #1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Hi fellow Bhpians, my colleague has a year an half year old MG Aster(KA-03-NL-5051) It has serious AC issue as it does not perform as expected. The Jubilant MG service centre at Electronic City cleans /replace air filter and it works fine for a couple of months and again the AC lacks chillness. This change of filter is done every time he takes car with AC complaint. Mr.Adarsh service engineer could not to resolve this issue permanently and reluctant to change the AC unit under warranty. He has installed sunfilm for panoramic sunroof to prevent heat from thin headliner.
Did any of you faced such issue ? Can any one suggest what could be done on this

Hi,

I had this issue with my Astor. I got it serviced where they replaced the filter etc. the main advice they gave me was not to use auto mode. Just make sure you keep it on Manual mode, set the fan speed and temperature to what you prefer and make sure that you don’t keep air circulation from outside. You can switch that on long trips but in the city especially Bangalore the dust clogs up the AC. I have been doing this for the last few months and it’s all chill chill
pranji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 15:29   #1463

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranji View Post
Hi,

I had this issue with my Astor. I got it serviced where they replaced the filter etc. the main advice they gave me was not to use auto mode. Just make sure you keep it on Manual mode, set the fan speed and temperature to what you prefer and make sure that you don’t keep air circulation from outside. You can switch that on long trips but in the city especially Bangalore the dust clogs up the AC. I have been doing this for the last few months and it’s all chill chill
Craziest suggestion I have ever come across
Old 7th January 2024, 14:18   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranji View Post
Hi,

I set mine to 19 or 20 deg with internal circulation. Don't like the Auto mode bringing in other vehicles fumes inside.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 22:07   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
I set mine to 19 or 20 deg with internal circulation. Don't like the Auto mode bringing in other vehicles fumes inside.
The auto mode will just play with the fan speed to keep the cabin at the set temperature. The outside fumes are inside only of you have set the air circulation external, you can keep it internal in auto mode.
aks812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 10:16   #1466

2200 Km's New Year trip to Mount Abu - Observation about MG Astor from a previous I10 Kappa owner

I took my first ling trip in the Astor over the new year weekend. Few Observations.

The Route : Ghaziabad - Jaipur - Udaipur - Mount Abu - Jodhpur - Sikar - Ghaziabad
  • The car could do the climb to Mount Abu in 3rd gear at 30-40 KMPH speeds. If a vehicle would come from front and reduce speed then a downshift was necessary.
    The car could do 100-110 effortlessly with two adults and three kids.
    The mileage in MID during the climb was 8.5 KMPL
    During the downhill drive I could ride in 2nd gear without accelerator and the MID showed 88 KMPL
    Over all the mirage was somewhere between 15 - 16 KMPL. This is tank to tank. This includes diving inside cities of around 300 KM's.
    The seats are very comfortable for a long ride. Suspension is great when under 100 KMPL. Becomes a little bumpy above that.
    Braking is great. All straight line stops.
    Andrid auto issues seem to have been resolved for me with android 14 update.
    Overtakes have to be planned. Downshift helps but the engine grunt isn't very reassuring.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20240109_100606.jpg  

Last edited by carscrazy22 : 9th January 2024 at 10:46. Reason: Added photo.
Old 9th January 2024, 23:02   #1467
BHPian

2024 MG Astor to get more features!

Ventilated seats
Auto-Dimming IRVMs
Wireless Charger and Wireless Android auto and Apple Carplay.

MG was teasing this through their social media channels but I found this video

aswin93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 21:03   #1468
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Guys!

I have recently sold my ride, Hyundai Verna Fluidic 2013 SX (o) Diesel MT. Been driving this for a decade now and have driven 171,500 kms. My experience of Hyundai was okish to be precise. From maintenance to rusting issues, I have seen much of Hyundai. No offense to any brand. Just my personal experience.

I have been a big fan of sedans. But, due to my recent issue of osteoarthritis, which I found out only after selling my car, I'm looking for Mid-Size SUV.

This segment is booming with options and can be very confusing to prioritize one over the other. All have something or the other to offer.

I have a family of five. Four adults and one 8 year old.

First, I had planned to go for Diesel Automatic, but the real confusion started when my doctor said to reduce my driving now. I am driving approx 50 kms a day from home to office and back. So then after a prolong thought, I will be now using my car for some days and will be traveling in private cabs on other days. My travel is 80% city and 20% highways.

My First Question: Should I opt for Diesel again or try to maintain peace with petrol.

If Petrol, is MG Astor 1.5 NA CVT good enough for my family?

A lot of mixed reviews about the software and mileage has been mentioned.
It's best to go for VW Taigun 1.5L Turbo DSG, Skoda Kushaq (same engine as Taigun) or last but not the least Kia Seltos X-line 1.5L TGDI DCT. Their engines are reliable and won't give you issues. MG India isn't fundamentally a reliable brand given their marketing in itself is equivocal. I just cannot trust their origin.
kmrjt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 00:16   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrjt1 View Post
It's best to go for VW Taigun 1.5L Turbo DSG, Skoda Kushaq (same engine as Taigun) or last but not the least Kia Seltos X-line 1.5L TGDI DCT. Their engines are reliable and won't give you issues. MG India isn't fundamentally a reliable brand given their marketing in itself is equivocal. I just cannot trust their origin.
That is very illogical take.

To tak about "reliability" and then recommend the most notoriously unreliable gearbox in current Indian market cars - the lower end VW DSGs - and then somehow call out an entire country for "bad quality" is ridiculous...
You might want to know that the DQ200 DSG gearbox (which if I remember correctly are the same/similar one in the current Kushaq and Taigun are a subject of a recall in the said "unreliable country" whereas the lack of consumer protection laws here mean that the buyer is mostly on the hook for the expenses of replacing them and that too hopefully at a competent service shop.

The Kia/Hyundai DCTs aren't exactly gems of reliability either - but they do sound (based on hearsay) like they are more reliable than the DSGs in consideration here.

Sorry @masterminded, I have no car suggestion here, just wanted to point out illogical takes like this so that some poor soul isn't stuck with a headache for a long time based on bad info from the internet.
Transmission is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 01:08   #1470
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
That is very illogical take.

To tak about "reliability" and then recommend the most notoriously unreliable gearbox in current Indian market cars - the lower end VW DSGs - and then somehow call out an entire country for "bad quality" is ridiculous...
You might want to know that the DQ200 DSG gearbox (which if I remember correctly are the same/similar one in the current Kushaq and Taigun are a subject of a recall in the said "unreliable country" whereas the lack of consumer protection laws here mean that the buyer is mostly on the hook for the expenses of replacing them and that too hopefully at a competent service shop.

The Kia/Hyundai DCTs aren't exactly gems of reliability either - but they do sound (based on hearsay) like they are more reliable than the DSGs in consideration here.

Sorry @masterminded, I have no car suggestion here, just wanted to point out illogical takes like this so that some poor soul isn't stuck with a headache for a long time based on bad info from the internet.
Are you implying CVTs and other cheaper transmissions from MG are better than VW's DSG? I disagree. I have used Polo for 6 years, exchanged it for a Tiguan that has DQ250 DSG and none have given me any problem ever. People need to maintain and service their cars properly. Don't intend to be derogatory, but it's a VW that you are owning and not any other mass market brand. They need timely maintenance. MGs have long way to go for proving their reliability in the market. Cannot trust them yet.

And yes, Hyundai's reliability is proven, far better than MG, and it isn't an exaggeration by any means.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks