Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2023, 18:24   #1396
BANNED

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post
Hi All,

Anyone faced the issue of Tyre bubble as visible in the screenshot attached? The bubble is on the Front left tyre.

Mine is 6months old Savvy turbo AT.
9,700 KMS Run.

Is this covered under warranty? If anyone has any information pls help out.

Attachment 2463300
Hi.. That looks bad. My car has covered 27832 as of today and I have only faced a sidewall damage, which MG has replaced under warranty for a manufacturing defect, with 75% cost being covered by them. I would suggest that you appeal to MG and ask them about this. It is not safe to drive around with that, as external impact may deteriorate the tyre, and warranty claim cannot be made. Please do not go for aftermarket solutions. Put on your spare and drive carefully.
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 01:04   #1397
BHPian

Can someone let me know the ideal speeds to change gears in MG Astor manual? Also at what gear to drive in hilly areas?

Since my previous car was Honda City, I am still not able to get the correct gear on hills. Either the car revvs a lot on lower gear or feels underpowered at higher gears..
Old 14th July 2023, 16:43   #1398
BHPian

UPDATE : Had visited the Service Centre at Mahadevpura, Bangalore. On Initial Analysis, the SA told me that this most likely is due to a Pothole Impact and usually it wont be covered under the Tyre Warranty. I insisted him for the Warranty and he submitted the inspection report to the GoodYear officials. And i Believe even the Goodyear team did an Inspection and the Final Outcome was this wont be Covered under Warranty and they cannot do anything further on this.

I was not really happy to accept this and was pushing the SA for warranty replacement from the Dealer. He came back to me with the Best he can and he Offered me a 40% Discount on a new Tyre as "Goodwill Discount" from the Dealership side and asked me to Go ahead with it as this looked the best available Option.

So I decided not to take further Headaches, i went ahead and accepted this offer and got the Tyre changed.

I paid a total of around Rs.6,300 from my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post
Hi All,

Anyone faced the issue of Tyre bubble as visible in the screenshot attached? The bubble is on the Front left tyre.

Mine is 6months old Savvy turbo AT.
9,700 KMS Run.

Is this covered under warranty? If anyone has any information pls help out.

Attachment 2463300
Old 19th July 2023, 15:55   #1399

Has any one tried a subwoofer on this car?
Does it void the warranty?

The sound seems pretty flat to me, looking at tried and tested options which donot cost an arm or leg.
Old 22nd July 2023, 19:50   #1400
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfry View Post
Has any one tried a subwoofer on this car?
Does it void the warranty?
It does void warranty, as playing and fouling with the wiring is not accepted by manufacturer if any dismay happens.

However, I'm an Astor owner and I am pretty much of an audiophile. I recently had a drive in my friend's Tata Safari, which has a 9 speaker JBL unit. I was flattened by it's performance and wanted to upgrade speakers as soon as my Astor is out of warranty.

For time being, I have tweaked the settings, and seems that the bass is enjoyable now. If you try that way, it is pretty good, and does not void warranty.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th July 2023 at 14:39. Reason: Typo.
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 23:59   #1401

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
For time being, I have tweaked the settings, and seems that the bass is enjoyable now. If you try that way, it is pretty good, and does not void warranty.
I have done that too for now, but it doesn't work seamlessly for me, works well with music but not with some RJs for example 🥲

Also, anyone recommend a good dash cam? Is there anyway to use the cars cameras as a dash cam and for parking surveillance?
Old 25th July 2023, 06:14   #1402
BANNED

I personally recommend this dashcam to all of my friends and family. I however have a different one I bought earlier, but I will too soon switch to this one.

https://www.amazon.in/70mai-DashCam-...%2C194&sr=8-18

If you would want something that won't burn your pocket, here's this:

https://www.amazon.in/NEXDIGITRON-AC...1zcF9idGY&th=1

By the way, this is the one is use:

https://www.amazon.in/Mola-N3-Pro-Re...%2C194&sr=8-47

Cheers!
Old 29th July 2023, 13:20   #1403

Quote:
I personally recommend this dashcam to all of my friends and family. I however have a different one I bought earlier, but I will too soon switch to this one.

https://www.amazon.in/70mai-DashCam-...%2C194&sr=8-18

If you would want something that won't burn your pocket, here's this:

https://www.amazon.in/NEXDIGITRON-AC...1zcF9idGY&th=1

By the way, this is the one is use:

https://www.amazon.in/Mola-N3-Pro-Re...%2C194&sr=8-47

Cheers!
In my opinion, 70Mai A500s Pro Plus+ is the best option available in terms of bang for your buck. I just upgraded from Nexdigitron Ace to 70Mai A500 Pro Plus+ and am quite happy with it.
Here are a few things that I like about this dashcam:
  1. App interface and connectivity - This is a highly critical feature in my opinion that first time users realize only after their purchase. At the time of an accident, if you are unable to connect to the app, having a dashcam is pointless. 70Mai app is really smooth and has seamless connectivity. I frequently faced connectivity issues with the Nexdigitron app (named OnReal on app store). I also checked DDPAI app reviews on app store and it has similar issues.
  2. Dual channel - Rear camera is even more useful than I imagined. For example, if the front camera is unable to clearly identify a number plate of a vehicle that you just passed, you can see the footage in the rear camera as well. In most of the cases, at least one of these angles will have ample clarity to identify the vehicle.
  3. Video quality - Resolution of 1944p captures number plates clearly. Even while going at 100kmph on the Mysore expressway, number plates of the other vehicles were clearly visible in the recordings. Nexdigiton Ace with 1080p captures these details only on low speeds and for vehicles at a very short distance.
  4. IPS Screen - Just having a screen makes a huge difference as you can see what is being recorded.
That said, Nextdigitron Ace is nevertheless a great camera and still the best option in its price category. However, for people who are willing to shell out a bit more 70Mai A500s Pro Plus+ is a great choice.
hakunamatata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 06:30   #1404

I went ahead with a qubo 4k dual dashcam
Considering the India service network . Viofo ticked all boxes except for the price.

Does anyone experience excessive body roll and pitch even on small humps/potholes?

I am not sure if it has increased of late or if i have become extra sensitive

I am thinking of getting a rogerab buffer.
Has anyone tried this on Astor?
Old 2nd September 2023, 20:10   #1405
BANNED

30000 kms in the Astor: My Experience

Hey guys, it's been a wonderful 1.5 years of ownership and a happy 30000 kms of driving. I am absolutely in love with the machine and am happy with my purchase. Now, just a small introduction about how I bought my Astor, why the Astor and why I am writing this review. By the end of the review, I'm sure you will have answers to these 3 questions. Let's go!

A Small Introduction:
This car is supposed to be replacing my 11 year old Vento, which had munched some good 2.2L kms. I was a heavy driver in the Vento, constantly driving at triple digit speeds and enjoying every moment of the car. I also cover around 20000-25000 kms every year mainly on highways. I also maintain my car in pristine condition, only aesthetic modifications, no functional or power ones. I even had the stock paint in many places in my Vento.

Why the itch to upgrade?
I honestly had no reason to upgrade my car. Since it was a MT, there were no gearbox issues. The car was good to go for another 4-5 years. But every time I saw a SUV or a newer generation car blast past me at higher speeds, I felt left out and I also wanted to join the evolution. It was purely my mindset and nothing else. I sold my Vento to cars24 for an amount of 2.4L. I am happy with my decision, as now, some of the older cars are not being given the NOC certificate.

Why the Astor and why not the rivals?
When I was upgrading from the Vento, I knew that the next car was supposed to be an SUV. I wanted an SUV mainly because of the backaches I got from my Vento during long drives of around 9-10 hours. I was mainly looking at CSUVs to be precise. That means I was considering Astor, Kushaq, Taigun, Seltos and Creta. Coming from a German car, the Kushaq and the Taigun were natural options. But I did not like the understated interiors and the space was a little cramped. I also rejected the Creta due to its looks and the main competitors were Astor and Seltos. Seltos felt better in terms of driving and sound, and felt like the complete package. But some missing things like panoramic sunroof, ADAS and safety made me rethink. On 24th March, I booked my car in Savvy 1.5 CVT Sangria Red interiors in Aurora Silver colour. I took delivery on 28th April.

Initial Impressions:
I had already covered 1000 kms in less than 3 weeks. I had done the first service in a month. Whenever I took it out on the highway, on the first 3 months, I always felt that there was a lack of power and that the car only sounds but there is no sudden acceleration like what I had experienced in my Vento. I sometimes thought that I had made the wrong decision in buying the Astor. Nonetheless, I kept saying myself that the car will become better after the run-in period. And boy, I was right! The car behaves very differently once I crossed the 7500 kms mark. It became a little aggressive, to my driving style. I also changed the steering mode to Dynamic, which heavies the steering at high speeds. I have also reduced the tyre pressure to 32 PSI from 34 PSI.

Long term ownership (1.5 year review):
After owning the car for 1.5 years, I am very satisfied with the car and am happy about buying the Astor over the competition as I am now a little more concerned about safety. There are certain observations that I have made about the car, but that will be covered in the 'My Observations' part. I have loved driving the car. Mileage has improved from 9-10 kmpl to 12.5 kmpl (Note that I have a CVT variant). The car is a hoot to drive and I am very happy with the car's small footprint in the city. On the highway, the car pulls brilliantly and there is no feeling of lack of power. The car has been a great companion with me and I will definitely write another review at 50000 kms to update my journey with the Astor. For what that matters, I have named my car 'Steed'.

My Observations:
1) The car behaves very differently in the run-in period and once out after the run-in period.
2) I am missing the ambient lighting in the car very much. I am used to driving at night, and the ambient lighting really lightens up my mood. I am deciding on adding aftermarket ones. Any good ones out there?
3) The car in a head-turner. I mean it in both a good and a bad way. The good way is that people surround it, take pictures and ask doubts about the car. They are amazed to see my steed. But the bad thing is that the car is subjected to constant vandalism. I hate the fact that whenever I park my car in unknown places and come back to collect it, someone has either scratched my car, or stolen one of my 'Morris Garages' hood branding's letter (I have replaced it twice), or someone has bumped into it. I am contemplating the purchase of a dashcam, as MG says that installing a dashcam voids warranty. That's actually the main reason why I have not installed aftermarket ambient lighting.
4) The Silver colour is very tough to maintain - just like my Black Vento. Even a small spot will be an eyesore for the next 10-15 mins and I have to rub it with water to remove stains. The gloss black alloys are prone to scratches and constant cleaning will keep it glimmering.
5) The interiors surely feel premium and I love sitting inside the car, even when I am not driving. I also love how the car does not show speed, and always feels like I am travelling slowly and comfortably. I also love how the suspension is tuned by MG.

Thank you so much for listening to my review. Hoping to have lots of happy miles in my steed. I am not attaching a picture as of now as my car is in the service centre for the annual service. Will soon upload a picture. Cheers!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 12:07   #1406
Senior - BHPian

MG India will launch the Astor Black Edition on September 6.

MG Astor Review-smartselect_20230905120653_x.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:39   #1407
BHPian

Most of us completely forgot about the Astor from MG. Looks like some of the brands are strongly responding to the waves created by Nexon facelift launch.

I wonder why MG is not updating the Astor often. Could someone let me know if there were any significant updates on Astor before the black edition (which is more like a cosmetic update ,albeit laden with some new features)?
Gautham_v6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 19:47   #1408
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautham_v6 View Post
Could someone let me know if there were any significant updates on Astor before the black edition (which is more like a cosmetic update ,albeit laden with some new features)?
I guess one of the good update that Astor had was the introduction of rear seat cabin lights, which I think is very minor, yet very significant. Apart from that, the sunroof console control has been revised, along with the introduction of a new color called Havana Grey and a dual-tone white-black option. Also, the Sangria red interior was introduced in the Sharp variant too (earlier it was only in Savvy) and EX-variants were introduced to challenge the semiconductor shortage.

MG is now working on a major revamp for the Astor, but I am guessing that that wont be very much called as an 'update', might be only a facelift and some introduction of new features.

Nonetheless, loved the 'Blackstorm' editions that MG is launching now.

I have been an owner of an Astor for the past 1.5 years and I know that it is quite irritating when you see Seltos facelifts and Elevate on the road and asking yourself 'When will our car get a facelift?'
Old 5th September 2023, 20:00   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MG is now working on a major revamp for the Astor, but I am guessing that that wont be very much called as an 'update', might be only a facelift and some introduction of new features.

Nonetheless, loved the 'Blackstorm' editions that MG is launching now.
Any idea about the tentative launch date for the facelift. IMO Astor just needs a little nip and tuck here and there interior wise. They got to modify the exterior a bit, and that IMO is one of the biggest reasons for its subpar sales. It comes across more as a crossover, than a butch SUV styled car.

For interiors here is my wishlist-

1) Tasteful Ambient lighting in front and back
2) Auto dimming IRVM
3) Navigation direction/map display in MID
4) A good sunroof cover
5) Paddle shifters (atleast for turbo variant)
6) Powered passenger seat (maybe asking too much now)
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 22:11   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Any idea about the tentative launch date for the facelift. IMO Astor just needs a little nip and tuck here and there interior wise. They got to modify the exterior a bit, and that IMO is one of the biggest reasons for its subpar sales. It comes across more as a crossover, than a butch SUV styled car.

For interiors here is my wishlist-

1) Tasteful Ambient lighting in front and back
2) Auto dimming IRVM
3) Navigation direction/map display in MID
4) A good sunroof cover
5) Paddle shifters (atleast for turbo variant)
6) Powered passenger seat (maybe asking too much now)
Ventilated seats as well.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks