Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
For interiors here is my wishlist-

1) Tasteful Ambient lighting in front and back
2) Auto dimming IRVM
3) Navigation direction/map display in MID
4) A good sunroof cover
5) Paddle shifters (atleast for turbo variant)
6) Powered passenger seat (maybe asking too much now)
Absolutely true.. You are very right with Paddle shifters and ambient lighting. If they introduce the powered passenger seat, it would be a segment-first feature. The styling is not an issue for me, looks quite chic. Maybe black out some part like the Blackstorm?

I would also love to have ventilated/cooled seats, and an auto-dimming IRVM.
Old 6th September 2023, 11:35   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post
30000 kms in the Astor: My Experience

Hey guys, it's been a wonderful 1.5 years of ownership and a happy 30000 kms of driving. I am absolutely in love with the machine and am happy with my purchase. Now, just a small introduction about how I bought my Astor, why the Astor and why I am writing this review. By the end of the review, I'm sure you will have answers to these 3 questions. Let's go!
Hi!
I can vibe with you regarding the Astor which is a kind of hidden gem but for a certain niche of people - people like my Father in Law. He is one cool customer who would have brought a 1970s american land-yacht today if it was available . He loves to stick to the right lane doing 80 all day long and appreciates a high riding position at the same time. He isn’t a corner carver but hates the floaty wheel which his erstwhile Ciaz gave on highways.

The car was a perfect buy for him. The Dealership experience was nothing short of a dream. Even the service centre had basic courtesy of making their client feel good by offering proper lunch to him while he waited for servicing to finish.

I can resonate with your observations and might add some of mine too.

1. The power of the car as you mentioned is adequate and performs well on highway. However due to the inherent nature of CVT, one has to be careful while overtaking on an incline. I was caught unaware 1-2 times and had a deer-in-headlights situation as the rubberband effect hit mid-overtake. One has to use the available manual mode. Paddle shifters would have helped a lot.

2. The suspension of the car is very smooth and neutral in nature. Even my father in law was unknowingly driving faster due to the confidence the car gave him on highways. And dare I say the suspension is more silent than the Koreans.

3. The lighting situation is good and adequate throw and spread is available. However I do agree that ambient lighting would have definitely helped. On that note, I actually donot like the instrument cluster as too much information is just spray painted there. I can only imagine how much it confuses my 60+ father.

4. The material quality is good with on-par segment fit and finish. But ample use of leather like material uplifts the experience greatly. The buttons are good and have a weight to them without the hollowy-ticky feel while operating. The speakers and not good and I feel they are maruti-grade.

5. I can understand your apprehensions about safety but in my research the car came up as a good scorer in ASEAN ncap and AU ncap tests. The car will ring even if the rear passengers are not belted up and also warns you of impending speed cameras in your route.

6. My father got a discount of 1.25 lakhs while buying the car. But nothing in life is free and hence he gets 5.5 KMPL on his office commute
Vkap257 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 12:55   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG India will launch the Astor Black Edition on September 6.
Limited edition MG Astor Blackstorm launched at Rs 14.48 lakh.

It gets an all-black honeycomb grille and stylish red and black interiors

MG Astor Review-smartselect_20230906125407_x.jpg

MG Astor Review-20230906_125340.jpg

MG Astor Review-smartselect_20230906125508_x.jpg

MG Astor Review-20230906_130309.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th September 2023 at 13:03.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 14:19   #1414
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Limited edition MG Astor Blackstorm launched at Rs 14.48 lakh.

It gets an all-black honeycomb grille and stylish red and black interiors

Link
Is it just me or that Bot is gone in this edition?
GST is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 20:39   #1415

Yeah seems like the friendly assistant is finally gone lol
ronnie141 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 17:37   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
Is it just me or that Bot is gone in this edition?
It appears to based on a lower trim level where the bot doesn't come standard anyway. They just replaced the beige seats with black, painted some exterior bits black and stuck on a sunroof.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 21:16   #1417
BHPian

Hi fellow Bhpians, my colleague has a year an half year old MG Aster(KA-03-NL-5051) It has serious AC issue as it does not perform as expected. The Jubilant MG service centre at Electronic City cleans /replace air filter and it works fine for a couple of months and again the AC lacks chillness. This change of filter is done every time he takes car with AC complaint. Mr.Adarsh service engineer could not to resolve this issue permanently and reluctant to change the AC unit under warranty. He has installed sunfilm for panoramic sunroof to prevent heat from thin headliner.
Did any of you faced such issue ? Can any one suggest what could be done on this

Last edited by HighOctane : 13th September 2023 at 21:24.
Old 14th September 2023, 16:25   #1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Hi fellow Bhpians, my colleague has a year an half year old MG Aster(KA-03-NL-5051) It has serious AC issue as it does not perform as expected. The Jubilant MG service centre at Electronic City cleans /replace air filter and it works fine for a couple of months and again the AC lacks chillness. This change of filter is done every time he takes car with AC complaint. Mr.Adarsh service engineer could not to resolve this issue permanently and reluctant to change the AC unit under warranty. He has installed sunfilm for panoramic sunroof to prevent heat from thin headliner.
Did any of you faced such issue ? Can any one suggest what could be done on this
I have faced the exact same issue in my (one year ten months old) Astor 1.3 Turbo AT for the past year or so. The air filters were replaced twice too but to no avail ,so had the car checked out again in June this year when it was found that there was leakage of AC gas but they couldn’t exactly point out to where the leak was as the ASC (MG North MVIT) wanted to completely disassemble the dash and locate the leak and it would take a few days time which I did not have at the moment, so the AC gas was topped up again and the car sent back to me with the task of locating the leak being postponed to a later date. Two months later the issue was back and the AC gas was nearly empty. So this time I visited the newly opened MG ASC in Mysore Road, and leaks were identified in two places without disassembling the dash.

1. One hose pipe from the compressor to condenser

2. One of the high pressures Valves in the high pressure pump
Both the leaks were fixed with both parts being replaced. It’s been two weeks since the service and AC’s been working well till date with no issues and hope there weren’t any more leaks that weren’t identified.

PS : The heat coming in the from the huge sunroof and the paper thin headliner is highly palpable, did the sun film help reduce the heat influx?

PS2: It’s my first post/reply on the forum btw

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2023 at 16:42. Reason: Spaced out the paragraphs for better readability. Thanks.
HN_Lothbrok is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 14:36   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN_Lothbrok View Post
PS : The heat coming in the from the huge sunroof and the paper thin headliner is highly palpable, did the sun film help reduce the heat influx?
The heat from sunrood has substantially reduced after installing sunfilm on roof top and I recommend.
HighOctane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 20:09   #1420
BHPian

So Astor is amongst the cars my wife has shortlisted. Although its primarily going to be driven by my wife, i really loved the digital key feature. Just wanted to know if it can be used regularly, or its just a party trick?

Any of the owners shed some light on this please...
Old 17th September 2023, 12:42   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
So Astor is amongst the cars my wife has shortlisted. Although its primarily going to be driven by my wife, i really loved the digital key feature. Just wanted to know if it can be used regularly, or its just a party trick?

Any of the owners shed some light on this please...
I have used it one time when I had to get the car to drop someone and I did not want to go all the way up to get the keys. The digital works as expected, and since it is Bluetooth-based, it should work even if the connection/network is not there. I have never tried the key share option, which allows you to transfer the digital key to someone but the digital key works!
aswin93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 17:29   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin93 View Post
have used it one time when I had to get the car to drop someone and I did not want to go all the way up to get the keys. The digital works as expected, and since it is Bluetooth-based, it should work even if the connection/network is not there.
Thanks a lot. This seems to be a feature for me! I have this amazing habit of misplacing my key every single day!
Old 18th September 2023, 22:15   #1423

Hello guys, this is my first post here. I have booked an astor with the MG showroom in Ghaziabad. Their response has been very underwhelming. They keep on increasing the delivery date and only respond properly if they feel that the customer might leave. Does anyone here have an experience with them? Just wondering if I am overreacting or this is normal. This is the first car purchase that I am doing myself. I am also looking to get PDI done by zekardo, if anyone has experience with them then it will be helpful.
Old 20th September 2023, 18:38   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
So Astor is amongst the cars my wife has shortlisted. Although its primarily going to be driven by my wife, i really loved the digital key feature. Just wanted to know if it can be used regularly, or its just a party trick..
It can be useful but it is not reliable enough to be used regularly. The app can go down from time to time and it sometimes just doesn’t work. Even when it works, it takes several minutes and multiple attempts. So I wouldn’t plan on using it regularly. If you happen to have forgotten your key or lost it, then it can be very useful. However, I wouldn’t recommend using it like a normal key.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 20:50   #1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscrazy22 View Post
Hello guys, this is my first post here. I have booked an astor with the MG showroom in Ghaziabad. Their response has been very underwhelming. They keep on increasing the delivery date and only respond properly if they feel that the customer might leave. Does anyone here have an experience with them? Just wondering if I am overreacting or this is normal. This is the first car purchase that I am doing myself. I am also looking to get PDI done by zekardo, if anyone has experience with them then it will be helpful.
Did PDI today. Zekardo rated the vehicle 10/10. Hopefully delivery on Monday. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-screenshot_20230921_204752_chrome.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks