Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 19:09   #1336

Re: MG Astor Review

Hi fellow Astor owners,

I have been driving the Astor Sharp AT since Feb 22 and am overall satisfied with the performance. I have been facing one intermittent issue though and wanted to know if any of you have faced this issue as well.

The digital cluster of my car goes completely blank intermittently. This has happened 3 times so far and the first time it happened I took it to the service station, they ran some tests but couldn't find anything. they just did a hard reset and it started working again. Since then I have myself just unplugged and re-plugged the negative terminal from the battery and it immediately starts working again.

Is this something to worry about? Does anyone know the reason / solution to this?

Thanks,
ashutoshjoshi00 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 21:17   #1337

There is an MG wwf program for those who are waiting for car delivery for long time. Any knows to avail it ?
Old 30th October 2022, 05:54   #1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post
Fellow BHPians, need your suggestion. The dealer in chennai where I am getting my vehicle delivered is asking me to do both ceramic coating and on top of it PPF. I asked him what about the badging, his reply was they will remove the badges, apply first ceramic 6 coats and then on top of it, PPF and then fix the badge over the PPF (may be they stencil the badge) the total cost he mentioned was 100K or 1 lakh. I dont personally wish to go for any of them if need to protect the paint alone was planning just ceramic. So let me know your thoughts
Thanks in advance
I would never get it done through MG, they generally use only 3M and quote more
I have got the bumpers, bonnet, door edges covered with Xpel ppf And the rest of the car ceramic coated
It costed me 65k
Am I satisfied? The ppf does the job well. Have had a few brushes and scratches on the bumper which i just wiped off. I once saw a rooster with claws perched on my bonnet and it did not give me a heart ache
. The ceramic coating looked good for the first couple of weeks, the water used to bead and roll off. That effect dies out slowly.
Maybe after a year I'll do the ceramic again but myself
motorfry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 18:00   #1339
BHPian

Thanks Fellow BHpians for your suggestion, yes I will not through MG dealership for any coating and have clearly rejected their offer regarding either PPF or ceramic coating. The car got registered in RTO chennai and all the money is paid and have got the invoice. As I was not going for any loan, they had to give me the invoice after raising complaint with MG for the insurance dealership forced. I was able to get Royal Sundaram for 27k inclusive of GST the final offer from dealership was 58k from United India via MG secure. I have yet to take warranty planning to go for 3yr or 30k MG SHIELD PROTECT let me know your suggestions. I a planning to take the car once all accessories are fitted and RC is uploaded in Parivahan.
Old 4th November 2022, 11:48   #1340
BHPian

Does using the Auto-Hold feature cause drop in mileage? Because instead of the car creeping forward you need to press the acceleration each time. Hence, it would be eating up into the mileage?
Old 4th November 2022, 14:35   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulag62442 View Post
Does using the Auto-Hold feature cause drop in mileage? Because instead of the car creeping forward you need to press the acceleration each time. Hence, it would be eating up into the mileage?
It might. I've noticed revs climb to 2k just to get the software to release the brakes. Laziness tax I guess.
Old 8th November 2022, 12:27   #1342

Anyone opted for MG Protect Plan which comes for 3 years / 4 years and 5 years which is basically for cheaper servicing ?
Is that worth it or a gimmick.
Old 13th November 2022, 01:47   #1343
BHPian

I have gone with the 5 year 50k service plan. Looks like a good cost-effective deal to me. Just completed the 10k service and no extras paid till date.

Last edited by immortalmechano : 13th November 2022 at 01:48. Reason: Extra line.
Old 13th November 2022, 14:24   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fun-to-drive, used car for 20-lakh rupees

Spotted this somewhere around Baroda.

MG Astor Review-20221103_0854160.jpg

MG Astor Review-20221103_085416.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2022 at 10:56. Reason: Watermarks added
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 18:34   #1345
BHPian

I was giving the new vehicle a shakedown this weekend going Mumbai to Neelkanteshwar. Wasn't expecting a dirt track on the hill section. I did not feel a lack of power or ground clearance.

Last time I went to this place, the roads were in decent enough shape, certainly not what it is now.

Also, coming back through some congested traffic in Pune, I did not find the ADAS surprising me with sudden brakes. There's another thread on this forum that's busy bashing ADAS in general, which is quite unfortunate.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 21:19   #1346
BHPian

I am in Vietnam from last 10 days and I have seen more than 20 Mazda CX5 per day! Seems like every 5th car i notice is CX5.

Once in a while my brain gets confused that I am seeing MG Astor.

One thing is clear, if Astor had similar dimensions as Mazda CX5, it would have taken this segment by storm!! Only reason i cancelled Astor booking was it's compact size makes it a minor upgrade over elite i20.

MG should work on dimensions and try to give a larger wheelbase and a wider car! Mazda CX5 looks like a complete car. Not sure why it's not available in India!
manpreetsj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 18:00   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
Also, coming back through some congested traffic in Pune, I did not find the ADAS surprising me with sudden brakes. There's another thread on this forum that's busy bashing ADAS in general, which is quite unfortunate.
Yes, at the least sensitive settings, the ADAS is quite good in the city as well. It does the occasional brake crunch but never jerky or startling.
Old 24th November 2022, 10:35   #1348
Senior - BHPian

MG Astor Sharp trim now gets Sangria Red interior

MG is now offering the Sangria Red interior theme on the Sharp variant of the Astor, in addition to the top-spec Savvy trim.

MG Astor Review-2021mgastor01-4.jpg

Customers now get the option of the dual-tone Sangria Red interior on the Sharp MT and Sharp CVT variants. It includes dual-tone seats, door pads and a dual-tone dashboard. It costs Rs 10,000 more than the single-tone option.

MG Astor Review-2021mgastor01-6.jpg

Besides the new interior colour option, no mechanical changes have been made to the Astor. The SUV is available with a 1.5-litre petrol engine that makes 108 BHP and 144 Nm, paired with either a 6-speed manual or a CVT. It also gets a 1.3-litre turbo-petrol engine that puts out 138 BHP and 220 Nm. It is offered with a 6-speed automatic gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 24th November 2022 at 10:36.
TusharK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 14:32   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjogpanda View Post
Anyone opted for MG Protect Plan which comes for 3 years / 4 years and 5 years which is basically for cheaper servicing ?
I took default 3yr warranty and 4yr protect plan / 40k kms which looked ok for my use and cost 25000
TheHummerGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 01:49   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjogpanda View Post
I took the 5 year/1 lakh km warranty (because car with loaded tech) and 5yr/50km Premium Service Package for 1.14 Lakhs total.

The reason for latter even though MG Dealer was advising against it is that this is a new brand and I don't know the long term quality of the parts. I even heard that brake pads are wearing out in 10k kms due to ADAS which I heavily use. This will cover everything in the car for up to 50k kms from service center except for Tyre and Battery and Damage which is fine by me.

Most Viewed