Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:04   #1186
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post

In highway driving getting 16 + isn't an issue, while in normal city driving you get between 9 to 11. But in bumper to bumper traffic, with shorter travelling distance, you won't get more than 7 - 9. These numbers are based on just 400 odd KMs drive in total.
This is one of the few cars (if not the only one) in this segment whose NA petrol variant is being sold with a 5 speed gearbox!! Whether it be the Creta, Seltos, Taigun or others they all come with 6 speed MT. This could be one of the reasons as the final drive ratio may be shorter than competition resulting in lower mileage in highway runs etc.
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:25   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This is one of the few cars (if not the only one) in this segment whose NA petrol variant is being sold with a 5 speed gearbox!! Whether it be the Creta, Seltos, Taigun or others they all come with 6 speed MT. This could be one of the reasons as the final drive ratio may be shorter than competition resulting in lower mileage in highway runs etc.
Please correct me if I am wrong. I think the manual has 5 gears and CVT is 8 geared one.
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:50   #1188

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrspn View Post
Going by the reasons given in this Cars24 article about reasons for Bull Bar Ban, the modification should be allowed in the rear as
  1. The official one by MG does not increase the overall length of the vehicle in compliance to MVA Section 52. (The bottom of rear bumper is a sculpted towards the inside allowing enough space)
  2. It does not interfere with the airbag sensors
I am unsure whether the bull bar has an impact on the structural composition of the car, that would depend on how the bar is installed and its material. AFAIK the Bull Bar's primary purpose seems to be to deter motorcyclists and cars in the city from rear-ending you and damaging the bumper.
Thank-you so much. I had similar thoughts that MG Bull bar kind of does make sense as it not that big. According to the MVA and the length of thr vehicle though, it is sort of increased a slight bit?

To add, there's always a risk of getting stopped by the police.

And like you said yourself, not sure what would happen in case there's a heavy impact.

I am thinking to go to the dealership and get an understanding of how and where it is fixed on the car. Will update here as I get more info. Probably for me that's the only deciding factor as of now.
ronnie141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 23:05   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong. I think the manual has 5 gears and CVT is 8 geared one.
A CVT in theory does not have fixed gears. That's the whole point of a CVT. However in this case it does have 7 pre defined steps that would make it simulate a typical autobox.
Old 24th February 2022, 20:35   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie141 View Post
I am thinking to go to the dealership and get an understanding of how and where it is fixed on the car. Will update here as I get more info. Probably for me that's the only deciding factor as of now.
Thanks, will wait on what the dealership says on this. If possible, I think a written confirmation from the company or dealer should be enough to deter any cops from stopping for this. Anyways it's quite rare to be stopped for rear bull-bar unless there's a naka-bandi
cbrspn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 12:50   #1191

Hello fellow BHPians. I started search for my 1st car(owned by me,not parents) last year & booked KIA Sonet diesel HTX in October last year. I was supposed to get the car in last week of Feb or first week of March until I decided to cancel the booking as I have been granted WFH for next 2 years and because of those changed dynamics my priorities for car have taken a different direction too. Earlier my priorities in order of preference were: Looks & Features, fun to drive, mileage, automatic, comfort, safety & I was looking mainly at sub 4 meter category with a budget of not more than 12-14lakhs at max.
Sonet fit the bill so I booked it. (DURING THAT TIME ASTOR WAS ALSO LAUNCHED & I visited the showroom alongside my fiancé who was really enamoured by the looks & feel of Astor but because my priorities were different and to get a decent variant I need to stretch my budget even more at that time, I decided not to go for it.
Having said that, even though I knew I was going to get Sonet HTX at which is a great all round car in most aspects, my present wife & then fiancé always used to told me that there’s a feeling of being cramped in that car which at first I didn’t noticed but after a while it was quite apparent that other than all the features one thing Sonet can’t make for is the feeling of being spacious inside.

NOW ON SWITCHING TO ASTOR

Previously, I was concerned about mileage as my daily running was around 30-35kms, then inbetween I switched job & my daily running reduced to around 15-20kms a day. Now because of WFH situation my daily running is practically zero apart from roaming around locally for short drives and one long trip(around 800-1000kms) once in every 2-3 months & hence I decided to drop the diesel version Sonet & have a look at may be a different segment altogether. Now my priorities are in order of preference:
  • Automatic( AT or CVT)
  • Comfort
  • Safety(being married does make a man responsible..lol)
  • Looks & features
  • Budget(could stretch it to around 15.5lakhs on road now)
I decided to go for Astor Super CVT(15.20lakhs on road) which basically fit in all the above aspects & also I knew that wifey wanted this car the day she lays eyes on her..). I contacted the showroom & my sales rep(super courteous guy by the way) with whom I met in last oct as well & helped him to cover his target by booking Astor just for the sake & cancelling it after few days. He along with the manager assured me of the delivery in 1st half of the March & hence I booked it on 21st Feb,2022. Got a call few hours back from the manager & he guaranteed that I will definitely getting my car before Holi(19march). This is all the background.
Now coming to the current scenario. So yes, I know I would get top trims of Sonet/Venue/XUV 300/New facelift Brezza in my current budget of 15.5 lakhs but since Astor provides me with (well almost) all the NECESSARY features apart from a few from my wish list which is push start, digital cluster, heated ORVM’s, TPMS, diamond cut alloys but these are not deal breakers.
As I’ll be getting my Super CVT in coming 2 weeks or so, I would like to ask other Astor owners about what accessories I might add to it just for the look & feel as Super CVT is not a totally barebones version but not a very feature loaded version if we compare it to may be a Smart CVT. I would like to stay away with chrome garnish apart from 1 or 2 places at max. I am happy to spend around 20-30k more on accessories part only if it will add to the look and feel of the car.
Things I have on my mind is to get diamond cut alloys in place of silver alloys, ambient lighting, wireless charging pocket type(may be). Pls feel free to advice me regarding the accessories that you liked personally and would advice other soon to be owners of Astor too.
manas1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 18:38   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Had booked the Style variant on Jan 6th. Ever since the expected delivery was 12 months. Now, it has changed to Q2 2023.
Old 26th February 2022, 19:14   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Had booked the Style variant on Jan 6th. Ever since the expected delivery was 12 months. Now, it has changed to Q2 2023.
Same here. Had booked Astor Style on very 1st minute of booking.

4th months on, still no signs of it. Dealer asked me to upgrade to higher variant for faster delivery. I was sceptical about it initially, but my good friend booked on on January 5th and was delivered on 28th January along with 4 other cars on same day. That variant was 1.5 CVT Savvy.

Now with ZS EV Facelift launching shortly, I have decided to change booking from Astor to ZS EV.

With most of my driving being with city, an EV will be perfect. Why ZS and not Nexon EV is totally different story before anyone asks.
Old 27th February 2022, 08:32   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Same here. Had booked Astor Style on very 1st minute of booking.

4th months on, still no signs of it. Dealer asked me to upgrade to higher variant for faster delivery. I was sceptical about it initially, but my good friend booked on on January 5th and was delivered on 28th January along with 4 other cars on same day. That variant was 1.5 CVT Savvy.

Now with ZS EV Facelift launching shortly, I have decided to change booking from Astor to ZS EV.

With most of my driving being with city, an EV will be perfect. Why ZS and not Nexon EV is totally different story before anyone asks.
If this is your only car, The ZS definitely makes more sense primarily because of the range. The Nexon is great and my cousin owns one, but I'd be antsy about driving it any further than a 70-80km range because of having to plan charging etc..
immortalmechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 00:38   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
but my good friend booked on on January 5th and was delivered on 28th January along with 4 other cars on same day. That variant was 1.5 CVT Saavy .
I had upgraded to 1.5 CVT Saavy in December third week from my booking of October 22, 2021 for CVT Sharp variant. But now delivery is indicated in the app as Q2 2023.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd March 2022 at 00:41.
Old 2nd March 2022, 07:54   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I had upgraded to 1.5 CVT Saavy in December third week from my booking of October 22, 2021 for CVT Sharp variant. But now delivery is indicated in the app as Q2 2023.
I suggest that you check with MG showrooms in your nearby cities for any free stocks. You can even pick in couple of days if it is available. Of course, if you want to take the delivery early.
K.grg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 14:47   #1197

I recently did a test drive of Astor and I loved almost all of it, including the linear power delivery, driving comfort, interiors and overall build quality.

However, I had a few complaints / apprehension around the interiors :

1. The cloth which covers the sunroof is a mesh and not a solid/opaque which you generally find in Creta or Jeep.
My question is wouldn't it heat up the car when you drive or park under sun? If yes, is there a way to change it ?

2. How is the drive quality on highways with speed >80 kmph ?
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:23   #1198

Hello BHPians. I’ll be getting my Astor super CVT in coming 10 days or so. As this variant has silver alloys, I asked the dealer if it’s possible for them to exchange the silver ones with diamond cut alloys used in top trim with me paying the difference out of the two. For that my RM said no, it’s not possible.
Can someone pls tell me if they are being given that choice while upgrading from silver alloys to diamond cut alloys or is that a strict rule of no exchange.
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:39   #1199
BHPian

So I fixed 3M CR70 on the sunroof. Will share feedback after a drive in afternoon.

Meanwhile, my Astor is once in a while having a gnashing noise ( like when you change gear while not depressing clutch fully) once in a while. This happens when you are releasing the accelerator and then tapping the brake, say stopping for orange light at signal. I first thought it was ABS but now I think it is something else.

Mine is 1.3L Turbo Automatic. My 1st service done. This has started only after that.
Sidban85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 22:28   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
So I fixed 3M CR70 on the sunroof. Will share feedback after a drive in afternoon.
I've been thinking of doing this too. Can you share your location and cost of the CR70 film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Meanwhile, my Astor is once in a while having a gnashing noise ( like when you change gear while not depressing clutch fully) once in a while. This happens when you are releasing the accelerator and then tapping the brake, say stopping for orange light at signal. I first thought it was ABS but now I think it is something else.
Mine is 1.3L Turbo Automatic. My 1st service done. This has started only after that.
Mine is a 1.3L Turbo AT too. I've observed this issue 3-4 times as well, only before 1st service. During service, we did a test-run for this, but could not replicate it. It always happened when you're just slightly above the crawling speed, 9-10km/hr. Can other Turbo AT owners confirm if they have witnessed this too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks