Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2022, 16:15   #1216
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 16
Thanked: 10 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikesh11 View Post
Took a plunge and booked astor smart cvt variant. Was in market for a comfortable car with mostly bumper to bumper driving mixed with ocassional Mumbai pune expressway rides
Waiting is officially 3 months, hope to get it in time
Congrats. Hopefully, youíll get it in time. I also booked Astor super CVT & hopefully will get it before Holi. My preferences are also mostly sane as yours I.e. comfort in bumper to bumper city traffic plus once in two or three months a long drive of around 1000kms.
All in all, both super & smart are VFM depending upon the budget and preferences.(I capped on 15.5lkhs on road otherwise wouldíve picked smart as it provides few more features )
manas1224 is offline  
Old 8th March 2022, 17:15   #1217
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 7
Thanked: 58 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

MG Astor comes home

MG Astor Review-hello_astor.jpeg

Finally, we got our first car home, MG Astor - 1.5NA CVT Sharp - Starry Black.
Like most of the aspiring owners we had booked the car unofficially on 11th Oct and officially on 21st Oct.
Requirements and why we chose this car is summarized here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5187394 (MG Astor Review)

MG showroom initial experience was good, the RM was actively responding to our queries. Even got the test vehicle home for me to check the parking space. After the booking, the dealers were left in the dark by MG. With no updates from anyone, frustration started to build up. For any update request - dealer acts ignorant, pulsehub (central call center) redirects us to dealer. Every time we got the same template response - "MG is doing allocation directly, once allocation is done, we will inform you". There was also an app to track the booking but that had just 1 info, Q1 2022.

Fast forward to Feb, we got the call from RM that our car is in Feb's dispatch plan. And on 22nd Feb, we got the allocation confirmation. Suddenly there was too much to do. Ordered some basic accessories from Amazon, spoke to Tata AIG for insurance, rode to Electronic City stockyard for PDI, and were really excited for our first car.

There were 30+ Astor's at the stockyard
MG Astor Review-ecitystockyard.jpg

Received the car on 3rd March. Have driven only 150 kms till now, but it has been a pleasant experience. Its the first auto transmission car that I am driving, getting used to CVT and pedal input slowly. Drove around Bangalore on a Saturday morning, in an attempt to capture the black beauty. Some pictures from that drive.

MG Astor Review-astor1.jpg

MG Astor Review-astor2.jpg

MG Astor Review-astor3.jpg

MG Astor Review-astor4.jpg

MG Astor Review-astor5.jpg

MG Astor Review-astor6.jpg


Accessories :

Official MG:

1. Window sun shade
2. Door sill plate
3. Door edge guard
4. Mud flaps
5. Air Valve caps
6. Key sleeve leather
7. Screen guard
8. Car cover
9. Anti slip mat.

Other functional ones:
1. TUSA tire inflator
2. 70 mai A500S/ProPlus + dual channel dash cam
3. Softspun 900 GSM microfiber cloth
4. Mini trash bin
5. Boot organizer
6. 7d mats from Autotech



Likes :

1. Cabin is really quiet(bonnet insulation helps) if you are driving sedately.
2. Decent power and great suspension setup, the jerks due to road conditions, don't trouble the occupants much.
3. 360 degree cam is really useful in tight parking spots.
4. Driver seat has enough support.
5. Looks dashing !

Dislikes :

1. The AI Bot, it keeps getting activated for no reason and then says it didn't get me.
2. MapMyIndia voice prompts about left curve, right curve, speed breaker ahead, were not accurate. And were ON by default.

Hopefully they iron out the software niggles soon.

MG Astor Review-rear.jpeg
ElNovato is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 23:25   #1218
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 41
Thanked: 210 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Hello, cross-posting from my ownership thread, I am facing this issue since today morning. RSA is scheduled to pick up the car tomorrow morning, however, I'm very sure that the issue is due to the "beta" Anti-Theft Immobilization function. If another Astor owner could verify this, it'd be very helpful for me to tackle whatever the Service Center throws at me.

Note to mods: Please remove this post if cross-posting is not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrspn View Post
Engine Immobilized and No manual release!

Current Running: 1800km

Prologue
Under the MG i-Smart app, MG Offers a "beta" option called "Anti Theft Immobilization". As I have to park outside my house and there are often cases of theft, I always enable this before turning in for the night. This mode basically disables the car in a way that no doors can be unlocked, the car can't be turned "on" and the engine can't be started if it's enabled, even with the physical key. It's as if the system forgets the key exists while immobilization mode is on.

What's happening
So, here I was, drafting a new post about the experience since the 1k service. I went to the car to take some pictures of the accessories etc, and I couldn't unlock the car. I had enabled the Anti-Theft mode 2 days ago when I last went out. When trying to disable the Anti-theft mode on the phone, I kept getting an error saying "unable to contact the car", so I thought it was possible that the MG service is down. I was in no hurry, so thought to try after some time. Sometime later too, I got the same issue, this time I dialed in MG's pulsehub to request for RSA and get the car checked. RSA deduced that it could be due to a discharged battery. (Very surprising since the car is barely months old)

The RSA guy came quickly enough (on a two-wheeler) and had a battery + jumper cables for a jumpstart. When we unlocked the car with the manual key release, it came to life and the theft alarm started, horn ablaze and lights blinking like crazy. This clearly means that it's not the battery that is dead, considering a dead battery would definitely have some issues with the horn sounding in its full glory!
We tried putting the car key in the emergency placement slot and started the engine, but that did not work, the Information cluster showed a message "Smart key not detected". This prevents us from entering either the ACC mode or starting the engine. Not only that, the theft alarm kept ringing!.

As it was around 8:30 pm in the evening, the neighbors started complaining about the horn, and we relented thinking the tow truck would arrive even later and the horn will definitely be a problem for everyone around at that time. We removed the negative terminal from the battery to disable all electronics for the time being.

Since the family garage has other vehicles for emergencies already, I figured it's fine to call for the tow truck in the morning itself, and requested the same from MG. The truck is now scheduled for 11 am tomorrow.

Now, coming to the issues:
1. As the horn, the lights and the MID display were working, I suspect the issue is coming due to some software issue on the Engine Immobilizer feature on i-Smart, but the RSA helpline and the RSA technician both did not have any information about it.
2. The transmission is in "P-mode" and EPB is engaged, changing both of which will need us to be able to at least put the car in ACC mode. The P mode has an emergency release we can use, but I can't find any info on disengaging the EPB. With EPB running, how can we get the car on the Tow-truck without damaging it?
3. I have asked the RSA to send in an MG technician familiar with the car with the tow truck to handle this, but from my last service experience, I feel even the technicians aren't 100% trained to handle all scenarios.(More on this later) Not sure if someone would even be open to paying a visit. Can someone suggest possible options here?

Will add more here after getting the car looked at by the service center.
cbrspn is offline  
Old 11th March 2022, 12:50   #1219
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,349
Thanked: 1,934 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

My MG Astor 1.5 VTi CVT has reached dealership and I am following up for completion of other activities like Registration etc.
Hope to take delivery by next week.
rajeev k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 23:06   #1220
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: ALIGARH
Posts: 5
Thanked: 3 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Hi All,

Went for the first service today of my MG Astor Manual 1.5 NA. Overall running is around 400 odd Kms with almost 60% of the driving in the city on congested roads. The accumulated average is displayed as 10.1 kmpl (a little low as per my liking or am I being over-ambitious).

The overall service did not involve many steps. A simple body checkup of 20-25 minutes and subsequently washing & polishing. Overall took 1.5-2 hours. What was a little unusual was when the job card was opened, the charges for some lubricant, anti-rust coating on silencer and shampoo was already added (Rs 1800). When I enquired why is it added, the person just cancelled it and said you can pay 60 odd bucks for the shampoo. Could not understand why components were added without confirming / or even asking in the first place. STRANGE. Not even sure about the charge for shampoo but paid for that.

Is anti-rust coating underneath on silencer required or is it something that can be done later on? From what I have heard this can even be done after 3-4 years. Not sure though, any opinions/suggestions are welcome.

Overall experience was okayish and since the service did not involve any kind of maintenance checks, the driving experience more or less remains the same.
prakmah07 is offline  
Old 16th March 2022, 08:17   #1221
BHPian
 
Aakash118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Gangoh
Posts: 101
Thanked: 182 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Hi, can anyone confirm if Astor has refresh mode seats like this in Hector duo? https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...or-plus-27.jpg
Aakash118 is online now  
Old 16th March 2022, 08:44   #1222
BHPian
 
TheHummerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 16 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post
Dear friends, after going through the thread and having test drives on both Turbo and CVT, I have decided to book Astor CVT top end with red interiors. Though ventilated seating and wireless mobile charger are a miss, the ride quality and the AI platform looks very good. I currently own Fiesta 1.6S bought in 2009 Nov still doing great but with connected technology becoming a necessity have planned to add the fleet.

Test drove KIA seltos, Tata harrier, XUV 700 and Kushaq, some way or the other Astor is both feature rich, good styling, solid build and drives well. Hope I get the same kind of durability and service which Ford gave till date .
Booked Astor Savvy CVT after did many rounds of test drives. Did some search on SAIC motors which being the parent company of MG gave the confidence to book this model. Lets see how long it may take to get the vehicle delivered. Dealer also sent me yesterday the accessory list to make my choice and have done that too, since the booking was done on 7th March, expect about 3 months atleast keeping fingers crossed
TheHummerGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 08:45   #1223
BHPian
 
TheHummerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 16 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Hi, can anyone confirm if Astor has refresh mode seats like this in Hector duo? https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/202...or-plus-27.jpg
Nope I never saw this feature in Astor, probably Hector being a large SUV it has this but Astor is compact SUV segment
TheHummerGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 13:41   #1224
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 319 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

I got disconnected from MG iSmart app and now cannot login as the OTP is not coming to my phone number. Anyone else facing same issue?

Also, my Android Auto stopped working as well. I use a Samsung S21 Ultra. Anyone else faced the same problem?
Sidban85 is offline  
Old 16th March 2022, 14:20   #1225
BHPian
 
TheHummerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 16 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
I got disconnected from MG iSmart app and now cannot login as the OTP is not coming to my phone number. Anyone else facing same issue?

Also, my Android Auto stopped working as well. I use a Samsung S21 Ultra. Anyone else faced the same problem?
Hi there, may be compatibility issue with android version my friend found it has problem with Android 12 in galaxy s21
TheHummerGuy is offline  
Old 16th March 2022, 17:25   #1226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 319 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post
Hi there, may be compatibility issue with android version my friend found it has problem with Android 12 in galaxy s21
It worked for a whole trip of 500Km. Same phone, same car. Went for its 1st service after that. Nothing else has changed.
Sidban85 is offline  
Old 16th March 2022, 17:48   #1227
BHPian
 
TheHummerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 16 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
It worked for a whole trip of 500Km. Same phone, same car. Went for its 1st service after that. Nothing else has changed.
I think probably you can uninstall app and reinstall else test using another mobile phone as during the service someone would have checked using their mobile and it may be still mapped to that.
TheHummerGuy is offline  
Old 17th March 2022, 12:23   #1228
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 6
Thanked: 6 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

My new MG Astor

Hello fellow BHPians, Itís my very first post here and I hope I wonít bore you with this long review.

So, started with my car search in December & booked Astor sharp CVT, got it delivered yesterday. Itís my most expensive spending yet and as I used to drive Renault pulse diesel it seems like quite an upgrade but I was happy since I want something good to drive for next 7-8 years.

Having said that, the moment I had to drive from showroom to temple, for few moments it seems to me as if I donít have any clue how to drive, my RM was going through all the features and i felt everything was going over my head, mind not able to process anything apart from just making sure not to hit or get hit by anyone on the way to temple in bumper to bumper traffic. (So yeah, feeling nervous was sort of an understatement for those initial 15-20 mins).

Anyways, we reached the temple and finished with the puja. Driving back home I was still nervous but was more confident in my drive. As soon as I reach home I felt pretty overwhelmed by the feeling that may be I shouldíve opted for a lower segment car as all these features were too much for me. Anyways, I sat at home for 30 mins and calm myself down. Family members were excited to go for a drive so took them for a drive of around 20 kms albeit hesitatingly. Felt a tad more better and at ease that time and finally parked the car into the garage. Felt really tired mentally so slept for good 8 hrs and now writing this post at office in the morning. Here are few pointers in my very limited drive experience of around 40kms yesterday.

* Ride comfort and suspension is excellent
* Interiors & space in rear
* Sunroof is fab
* 360 camera useful, though quality isnít that great
* CVT is butter smooth
* A.I bot is, well useless.

Still feel that there is lot to learn regarding the features and but Iíll try to learn as many things as possible in the coming few days and will share a proper review of the car with you guys along with some pics.

Lastly, I would like to know what products should I buy for washing/maintaining the car which can be bought online? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Also,If anyone of the current or soon to be Astor owners would like to ask anything then just let me know and Iíll try to answer as early as possible and to the best of my knowledge.
Vault Dweller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 18:59   #1229
BHPian
 
TheHummerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 16 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault Dweller View Post
My new MG Astor

Hello fellow BHPians, Itís my very first post here and I hope I wonít bore you with this long review.

So, started with my car search in December & booked Astor sharp CVT, got it delivered yesterday. Itís my most expensive spending yet and as I used to drive Renault pulse diesel it seems like quite an upgrade but I was happy since I want something good to drive for next 7-8 years.

Having said that, the moment I had to drive from showroom to temple, for few moments it seems to me as if I donít have any clue how to drive, my RM was going through all the features and i felt everything was going over my head, mind not able to process anything apart from just making sure not to hit or get hit by anyone on the way to temple in bumper to bumper traffic. (So yeah, feeling nervous was sort of an understatement for those initial 15-20 mins).

Anyways, we reached the temple and finished with the puja. Driving back home I was still nervous but was more confident in my drive. As soon as I reach home I felt pretty overwhelmed by the feeling that may be I shouldíve opted for a lower segment car as all these features were too much for me. Anyways, I sat at home for 30 mins and calm myself down. Family members were excited to go for a drive so took them for a drive of around 20 kms albeit hesitatingly. Felt a tad more better and at ease that time and finally parked the car into the garage. Felt really tired mentally so slept for good 8 hrs and now writing this post at office in the morning. Here are few pointers in my very limited drive experience of around 40kms yesterday.

* Ride comfort and suspension is excellent
* Interiors & space in rear
* Sunroof is fab
* 360 camera useful, though quality isnít that great
* CVT is butter smooth
* A.I bot is, well useless.

Still feel that there is lot to learn regarding the features and but Iíll try to learn as many things as possible in the coming few days and will share a proper review of the car with you guys along with some pics.

Lastly, I would like to know what products should I buy for washing/maintaining the car which can be bought online? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Also,If anyone of the current or soon to be Astor owners would like to ask anything then just let me know and Iíll try to answer as early as possible and to the best of my knowledge.
Congrats on the new Astor, definitely this car is more a device than usual car with lot of features. I have booked mine as upgrading from my 13yr old fiesta 1.6, how long was the wait time for Savvy CVT model?

I think good to go for a ceramic coating or protection film

keep posting on the updates and the software issues if any
TheHummerGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 09:34   #1230
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 6
Thanked: 6 Times
Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post
Congrats on the new Astor, definitely this car is more a device than usual car with lot of features. I have booked mine as upgrading from my 13yr old fiesta 1.6, how long was the wait time for Savvy CVT model?

I think good to go for a ceramic coating or protection film

keep posting on the updates and the software issues if any
It definitely is more a device than a usual car. The waiting time for Astor top spec version(especially sharp /savvy CVT) is significantly lower than any other variants in most dealerships across India. I got my sharp CVT within a month(booked on 21st Feb, delivery on 16th March).
Donít think Iíll go for ceramic coating but might go for paint protector film.
The A.I is definitely annoying as it start stop by itself. Will give few hours to the user Manual today and see what more can I learn about the car and will keep posting the progress here.
Hoping that you get your car very soon as well.
Vault Dweller is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks