Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2022, 07:30   #1261
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault Dweller View Post
Fellow BHPians, I have this small query about TPMS. Here are the points I’m a bit confused about

1) My TPMS reading keep changing. For example if it’s 33.5 in left rear, later it go down as low as 32. Is this a normal occurrence?

2) What should be an ideal tyre pressure while driving for 2 persons/unloaded and 4-5 persons/loaded in order to get maximum mileage( I know it depends on driving style but I’ve heard tyre pressure also plays a role in it).

Here’s my TPMS settings showing in iSMART app as of now.
I've seen mine jump around 1-2 psi as well. Keeping the cold tyre pressure around 31-32 should be ideal. I believe the sensor accuracy takes a few km to get adjusted everytime you start driving.
immortalmechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 20:59   #1262

I got MG Astor 220 Turbo Savvy delivered on April 6th in Bangalore. We (couple + kid) went for a long drive from Bangalore to Mangalore. Here are the key takeaways

Pros:
  • The power and acceleration are awesome. I'm coming from 1200cc NA engine to 1300 Turbo, so it's possibly a big leap. Felt very confident while overtaking.
  • Very easy and convenient to perform a hill climb. It's a small stretch, need to experiment more, but whatever I did, it felt powerful.
  • Hill descent control is very helpful. Without it, I felt why some of my colleagues say they avoid Automatic gearbox quoting hill rides. A lot of pressure goes on brakes if it's not present.
  • Very very nice suspension. The same potholes and speed brakers that we used to jump up and down inside with my previous car felt like nothing in Astor. Cool!
  • AC (Climate control) is very powerful. It cooled the car parked in sun for hours in Udipi weather (Humid coastal climate) within minutes. Drove all afternoon for 2 days, never felt hot.
  • Driver and passenger seats are very soft and comfortable.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is a fantastic feature. Wasn't able to use it continuously due to frequent divider breaks for villages in this particular highway, but had it been expressway or a little free highway, it would have been very comfortable.
  • Auto head lamps and auto wipers! You should have them to understand the convenience. You won't be able to go back to manual ones.
  • Panaromic sunroof! It feels beautiful to see up in the sky during cloudy days or at nights. My wife and son loved it. I, being in driving seat always, couldn't enjoy it yet.

Cons:
  • The width of rear seat. I mean, what we call the thigh support. My son used to sleep comfortably in KUV100, but in Astor, it's barely sufficient. I'm thinking of buying a air inflatable rear seat bed, probably.
  • Erratic announcements like "Left curve ahead", "Speed braker ahead". They would be useless even if they are right. When they occur, the song volume reduces, which would be irritating.
  • My wife and even colleagues felt the cabin space is small. I mean, in general when we stretch, lean or tilt the seat back. I always being in the driver seat, never felt it.
  • The elephant in the room, Fuel efficiency! It's 6.5 KMPL on Bangalore roads and 11 on highway. (Full tank to full tank calculations using Fuelio app) More than money, my worry is frequent refueling. Can't drive peacefully on one stretch without thinking about next available fuel station. Faced the same with KUV100, history repeats. Just completed 1000 KMs, let's see if it improves after, say 5K KMs. (Don't tell me to keep rpm below 2K, switch off AC, no sudden acceleration etc. We can't drive a car *that* consciously every time. )

Overall, a beautiful car you would love with the heart!
bharatstech is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 23:56   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatstech View Post
I got MG Astor 220 Turbo Savvy delivered on April 6th in Bangalore. We (couple + kid) went for a long drive from Bangalore to Mangalore. Here are the key takeaways

[*]Erratic announcements like "Left curve ahead", "Speed braker ahead". They would be useless even if they are right. When they occur, the song volume reduces, which would be irritating.
Congrats on the new car!
There is a temp workaround for the voice guidance. Everytime you turn on the car, go into navigation and mute the volume icon. This is however temporary as she starts giving guidance once you restart!

As for mileage, I've covered almost 4k and I'm seeing the average of 8ish in the city and barely 12+ on the highway. I've been mixing my highway mostly keeping it around 1.9to 2.5k rpm and occasionally revving to 3k+ for quicker overtakes.

Last edited by immortalmechano : 21st April 2022 at 23:59.
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:33   #1264

You can also go into the sound settings and reduce the Navigation volume to zero, which doesn't reset on Restart.

I have finished 5k on my Astro Turbo, my mileage in the city is around 9kmpl, and on highways around 12.5 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalmechano View Post
This is however temporary as she starts giving guidance once you restart!

As for mileage, I've covered almost 4k and I'm seeing the average of 8ish in the city and barely 12+ on the highway. I've been mixing my highway mostly keeping it around 1.9to 2.5k rpm and occasionally revving to 3k+ for quicker overtakes.
skendora is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 12:36   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatstech View Post
The elephant in the room, Fuel efficiency! It's 6.5 KMPL on Bangalore roads and 11 on highway. (Full tank to full tank calculations using Fuelio app) More than money, my worry is frequent refueling. Can't drive peacefully on one stretch without thinking about next available fuel station. Faced the same with KUV100, history repeats. Just completed 1000 KMs, let's see if it improves after, say 5K KMs. (Don't tell me to keep rpm below 2K, switch off AC, no sudden acceleration etc. We can't drive a car *that* consciously every time. )
This is where I feel the Japs are going to shine with their upcoming Hybrid models. They will be the best of both worlds. Hope Honda brings its SUV Hybrid quickly enough and Maruti Suzuki/Toyota also bring their hybrid cars asap.

The way government has been trying to penalise the common man by raising the fuel prices, the hybrids brings a lot of hope to the poor common man.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 13:22   #1266
BHPian

Getting a few months old Savvy CVT Astor at a good price.
My question is what all is to be taken from the seller?
For instance how to disable the digital key on previous seller devices?
Is there a password which I can change to ensure access to seller is disabled.

What about the I-Smart app? Is it the same app used to lock and unlock car and track it?

Anything else I should ensure while taking this (internet and IOT) car?
Have bought a few used cars before but none with internet and apps. So its confusing to me as to how to take access of the same from seller.
Lastly does the car come with a smart band/watch?
Old 23rd April 2022, 13:40   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
Getting a few months old Savvy CVT Astor at a good price.
My question is what all is to be taken from the seller?
For instance how to disable the digital key on previous seller devices?
Is there a password which I can change to ensure access to seller is disabled.

What about the I-Smart app? Is it the same app used to lock and unlock car and track it?

Anything else I should ensure while taking this (internet and IOT) car?
Have bought a few used cars before but none with internet and apps. So its confusing to me as to how to take access of the same from seller.
Lastly does the car come with a smart band/watch?
The digital key/ismart is the same app. It can be active in only one device per car. Once you activate it on your phone and setup a new pin and password it is secure to you. You may need the earlier login details from the previous owner of course to make that transition seamless.
Old 23rd April 2022, 14:23   #1268
BHPian

Also while going through the accessories brochure I saw that rear seat entertainment is available @29,999/= how good is it, if anyone has used it.
aviral2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 15:45   #1269

Well, i went ahead and did it. After multiple test drives and infinite visits to MG, VW, Hyundai, and Skoda showrooms i finally decided to book the Astor Turbo AT (Thank god all of these are just next to each other on the ORR)
Some of the key reasons why
- Loved the build quality. On par with the VAG twins (can't believe i am typing this) and better than the Creta
- That sunroof
- Better interiors and all round visibility
- Good on road behaviour
- Creta's waiting periods are a joke. Here atleast i might get the car in 3 months
- What's life without a dose of chinese tadka (i jest, but honestly having worked in manufacturing industry, i believe there is no brand out there which doesn't have some chinese DNA in it).

Post booking experience has been pretty good. Got a call from MG to confirm the booking and a WhatsApp msg. Was able to log into the MyMG app and all my details have carried over. Lets hope the experience continues
devious.mojave is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 08:17   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious.mojave View Post
Well, i went ahead and did it. After multiple test drives and infinite visits to MG, VW, Hyundai, and Skoda showrooms i finally decided to book the Astor Turbo AT (Thank god all of these are just next to each other on the ORR)
Some of the key reasons why
- Loved the build quality. On par with the VAG twins (can't believe i am typing this) and better than the Creta
- That sunroof
- Better interiors and all round visibility
- Good on road behaviour
- Creta's waiting periods are a joke. Here atleast i might get the car in 3 months
- What's life without a dose of chinese tadka (i jest, but honestly having worked in manufacturing industry, i believe there is no brand out there which doesn't have some chinese DNA in it).

Post booking experience has been pretty good. Got a call from MG to confirm the booking and a WhatsApp msg. Was able to log into the MyMG app and all my details have carried over. Lets hope the experience continues
I booked mine top end in first week of march and the MG app was showing estimated delivery to be in Q1 of this year until 30th APR, but since yesterday when I checked the estimated delivery date is showing Q3 of 2022, so anybody checked with MG or dealer and any updates for those booked and waiting? I asked my dealer and shared the screen capture and he said will check and come back, but no news from him till now.
Old 14th May 2022, 10:11   #1271

Quote:
Congrats on the new car!
There is a temp workaround for the voice guidance. Everytime you turn on the car, go into navigation and mute the volume icon. This is however temporary as she starts giving guidance once you restart!
There is a better workaround for this In the MapmyIndia app, in the settings just change the notification language to Hindi. This will then suppress the normal navigation voice guidance that is annoying. You don't have to do it every time you switch on the car as well but every now and then it resets back to English (I haven't found the trigger for that still) l. Hope this helps!
pranji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 18:23   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post
I booked mine top end in first week of march and the MG app was showing estimated delivery to be in Q1 of this year until 30th APR, but since yesterday when I checked the estimated delivery date is showing Q3 of 2022, so anybody checked with MG or dealer and any updates for those booked and waiting? I asked my dealer and shared the screen capture and he said will check and come back, but no news from him till now.
I had booked savvy 1.5 cvt on 23rd Feb. Yesterday went to the dealer and based on what I understood, MG is hit hard by the chip shortage( As all their cars are tech heavy) and their production from March to April has taken a huge hit, almost reduced by 50%. Astor specifically the number was down by 90% from 2000+ to 200+ in April. For May apparently only 10 Astors have been assigned for entire Bangalore city. Mine is currently 14th on the list and if the production improves, then I might get allocated in next month. Otherwise it will be July for sure. So even of the dealer states 3 months while making the booking brace yourselves for a waiting period of 5 months.
rkmunjuluri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 12:16   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmunjuluri View Post
I had booked savvy 1.5 cvt on 23rd Feb. Yesterday went to the dealer and based on what I understood, MG is hit hard by the chip shortage( As all their cars are tech heavy) and their production from March to April has taken a huge hit, almost reduced by 50%. Astor specifically the number was down by 90% from 2000+ to 200+ in April. For May apparently only 10 Astors have been assigned for entire Bangalore city. Mine is currently 14th on the list and if the production improves, then I might get allocated in next month. Otherwise it will be July for sure. So even of the dealer states 3 months while making the booking brace yourselves for a waiting period of 5 months.
I'm Seeing a lot of deliveries at my local dealer in Coimbatore this week. I came in for my 5k service and they were delivering a few today and had 4 Astors on Display alone. The Dealer person told me thay are getting more cars this month.
immortalmechano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:24   #1274
Senior - BHPian

A drive was arranged by Kochi dealer to celebrate achievement of 100K MG sales on May 15, and was a success.
Take a look of some of the clicks.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-1-2.jpg  

MG Astor Review-2-3.jpg  

MG Astor Review-3-2.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd June 2022 at 12:25.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 14:35   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
I'm Seeing a lot of deliveries at my local dealer in Coimbatore this week. I came in for my 5k service and they were delivering a few today and had 4 Astors on Display alone. The Dealer person told me thay are getting more cars this month.
Wow this is good news for all of those waiting for an astor. But they just increased the prices. I am attaching the pricelist shared by Jubilant motor works bangalore (who own all MG showrooms across Bangalore)
[ATTACH=Price List MG Astor BSVI June-2022.pdf]2315645[/ATTACH]

MG was able to again get back to the production levels of 4000 plus cars in May (similar to March). But only 10 allocated to Bangalore compared to close to 150 in March. May be the dealer is doing something fishy or MG is holding back deliveries in bigger cities till they push through the price hike.

I got a Nexon EV Max booking confirmed and PO raised on June 1st and dealer just confirmed that invoice has been raised. I am waiting for invoice to hit my mailbox with chasis and vehicle identification number. With that, I will be canceling my astor booking.
If any fellow BHPian in Bangalore, waiting for Astor and willing to swap the car booked under my name, we can approach my dealer in person and see if they can shift booking to a new person and still manage the priority list in queue. I am no.14 in bangalore right now.
I had blocked savvy 1.5 cvt starry black with Ivory interiors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Price List MG Astor BSVI June-2022.pdf (147.1 KB, 595 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks