Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2023, 17:24   #1426

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscrazy22 View Post
Did PDI today. Zekardo rated the vehicle 10/10. Hopefully delivery on Monday. Fingers crossed.
Hoping for many years of troublefree ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-img20230925wa00392.jpeg  

carscrazy22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 11:54   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Recently, I drove my father-in-law's Astor (1.5 NA) for a good 100+ kms.

In a year, he has done around 35000 kms.

Brief impressions of the drive:
- There are no rattles.
- Everything works perfectly, no glitches.
- The infotainment unit, the screen size is alright. Its the lesser resolution, which makes it look a little cheap.
- The boot with the parcel tray in place, does not fit in many large items.
- The 1.5 engine is the weak link in the entire package. The performance is nothing to write about.
- If you want to know what NVH means, drive a 1.5 NA Astor anywhere above 80 kph. There is Noise, Vibration and Harshness in plenty. The floor literally vibrates! I had even asked MG guys if they have found out a solution to this. Till date, they haven't.
- The smoothness of this 1.5 NA engine at 60 kph is comparable to 80 kph in my Kushaq 1.0 TC.

Here is a picture of both our cars.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-mg-astor-skoda-kushaq.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 7th October 2023 at 19:09. Reason: Typo
ashutoshb is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 11:48   #1428

For Anyone interested in this kind of stuff.
This is for Astor NA.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-per-rpm.jpg  

MG Astor Review-torque-power.jpg  

MG Astor Review-gear-rpm-speed.jpg  

carscrazy22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 14:00   #1429
BANNED

Hey guys, has anyone faced premature wear in their brake pads? My vehicle has run 36K kms and sent it for the 30K service around 4 days ago (I was doing a long trip, more on that another time). SA said that usually for 35K kms, break pad life would be around 5-6mm, but for my car, it was only 1mm. He was shocked that I was actually applying brakes with such short life. Though I did not feel any problem in braking, he insisted that I change the pads, so I have replaced them.

But, I still have a doubt if he is cheating me, since I asked if I could come over and take a look, but he denied and said that customers are not allowed inside the service center. I am expecting the car in 2 days, and will update after that.

@carscrazy22, the same color as mine! Wishing you many more happy miles of motoring!!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 09:22   #1430

I had had the service center tell me the same thing at about 35K km for my Hyundai i10. I am a very sedate driver and use brakes sparingly. I told him not to change the brake pads. Post service got it checked by a local mechanic and he said that the brake pads are just fine. Continued to drive with the same brake pads till 70K at which I sold the car. It's a catch 22 where people feel obliged to prioritize safety and get conned. A lot would depend on how you drive.
carscrazy22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 13:48   #1431

Is anyone using carlinkit 5.0 2air with the Astor? I couldn't get it to work. Looks like it keeps restarting. Is the wired android auto port underpowered?
Old 28th October 2023, 16:51   #1432
BANNED

Completed 35000 kilometers with my Astor: My Experience till now

Hey guys, a major update for now: Just broke the milestone of 35K kms in my steed. I must say, a great experience till now! Will be covering all the major work done till now, the cost of running and my experience below:

My Experience:

It has actually been really great till now. Initially, I was quite worried about the low performance and power, but guess the car has run-in properly and is now a gem to drive. Sure, there is a lack of power in the CVT variant, but when you slot the gear in sport mode and pin down the pedal, it takes you to another world. Speeds above 120 km/h are confidence-inspiring and the car is very stable. The brakes are absolutely amazing, maybe because of 4-discs round. I have actually also started to drive hard-footed, and the car surely does not disappoint. The only problem is the deletion of necessary items such as ventilated seats and the auto-dimming IRVM. I'd trade the bot for these features : It's extremely gimmicky and I've stopped using it for a while now. MG has recently deleted Shortpedia from the car, and I'm pretty disappointed: I used to love that feature! So convenient to listen to news while on the go. Really wishes MG re-introduces it. I have got road-rage from many premium cars such as A class and 5 series when I overtook them at high speeds, maybe because of its premium looks that people race to overtake me. But I actually consider it as a positive as comparing my car with high-end cars makes me proud. I absolutely hate the audio system in my car. 6 speakers? What was MG thinking? Even the Nexon now offers 9! Soon for an update, but can manage till that. Also planning to add ambient lighting, but the cost is around 10K for 4 doors, dashboard and footwells, so on hold till now. Family loves the sunroof, really a cool feature to have. Never once has the car broken down, and I'm really happy for that. My car's mileage is around 9-10 km/l, definitely improved. I wish MG had provided wireless Android Auto. I hate the cables dangling over. Planning to buy a Carlink soon. Also, I find the storage below the A/C console and touchscreen very small for small items, it really crowds up. Rear seat is quite bad, but my elder kid only complains on low under-thigh support, otherwise all good.

Work done till now:

Front Bumper painting X2 = Rs. 40000
Rear door painting X1 = Rs. 10000
ORVM Cover replaced X1 = Rs. 2000
Tyre replaced X1 = Rs. 200 (Warranty claimed)
Brake Pads front X2 = Rs. 1500
A/C gas top up = Rs. 100
Fog light replaced X1 = Rs. 4500

Cost of running:

Petrol: Rs. 360000
Service: Rs. 9000
Repairs: Rs. 150000 (approx.)

Hoping to have many more happy kilometers with my Astor. Please share your views on ambient lighting and speaker upgrades. Until then, happy motoring!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 20:40   #1433

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post

Completed 35000 kilometers with my Astor: My Experience till now

Hoping to have many more happy kilometers with my Astor. Please share your views on ambient lighting and speaker upgrades. Until then, happy motoring!

I have a Astor 220 turbo, and did 40k in around a year and half. My experience is very similar to yours, it is a great car and only lacking in ambient lighting and speaker upgrades.

I have installed Cardi K4 ambient lighting in mine, (4 doors, dash and footwell for 4 seats) and it looks amazing in general. It costed me 2000 for installation and around 10K for the lights which I bought online. I would highly recommend it.

I am also looking for good speaker upgrades, would love to know if anyone got things changed.

PS: My in general average is 11kmpl and on highways with hard foot I get 12-15
bedapudi6788 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 17:25   #1434
BHPian

How's the service experience been for you guys? For me the Car is doing great, but the service experience is starting to feel like the Service Advisor isn't really bothered with doing a thorough job.

I completed 1 year few days back and completed the 3rd Free Service. The SA apparently couldn't be bothered to either trial the car or check if everything was intact before handing it back to me. These are things I honestly had to deal with Tata guys in the past (check if they soiled or broke things during service) and was not expecting to do here as well.

Any complaints are just met with an "Oh so sorry" line.
Old 5th November 2023, 00:42   #1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeineAM View Post
How's the service experience been for you guys?
I got mine serviced at Attapur, Hyderabad for the last 5 times. In general i found them pretty good. Very professional and helpful/ pro active.
Old 6th November 2023, 14:10   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post

Work done till now:

Front Bumper painting X2 = Rs. 40000
Rear door painting X1 = Rs. 10000
ORVM Cover replaced X1 = Rs. 2000
Tyre replaced X1 = Rs. 200 (Warranty claimed)
Brake Pads front X2 = Rs. 1500
A/C gas top up = Rs. 100
Fog light replaced X1 = Rs. 4500

Great to hear this. Astor is really an Under-Appreciated car in my view.

Just wanted check on few things as you mentioned above.
1. Can you pls elaborate on which brake Pads (Brand) did you change to? i recently changed the brake pads at 20,000kms from MG service center and it costed me 4500 approx.

2. Even i am thinking of changing the Fog Lights. So can you pls mention which exactly have you changed to? how is the visibility? also, if any pictures you can share.
Old 8th November 2023, 03:47   #1437

Hi all,

I have a question related to the service charges.

I have opted for the 3year/30,000km MG protect plan at the time of purchase. So, when I gave my vehicle for 6-month service at MG Service Center Mahadevpura (Bangalore), I was expecting the charges to be zero. However, they charged me 4.7k for 3M products such as AC evaporator cleaner, AC vent disinfectant, etc (shown in the image below).

MG Astor Review-231108033536.jpg

It has been almost a year since the purchase and soon the car will be due for 1-year service. So, I wanted to check with fellow owners if these 3M products are of any use or whether I should get them removed from the bill.

Also, is this practice of adding 3M products standard across all service centers in India?
hakunamatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 07:33   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunamatata View Post
Hi all,

I have a question related to the service charges.

I have opted for the 3year/30,000km MG protect plan at the time of purchase. So, when I gave my vehicle for 6-month service at MG Service Center Mahadevpura (Bangalore), I was expecting the charges to be zero. However, they charged me 4.7k for 3M products such as AC evaporator cleaner, AC vent disinfectant, etc (shown in the image below).

Also, is this practice of adding 3M products standard across all service centers in India?
I think it is common for all MG service centers. For the 3rd free service of my Hector, they added the 3M AC evaporator cleaning and I accepted it. But for the 4th free service also, they added 3M evaporator cleaning and 3M premium interior cleaning and I asked them to remove it from the quote which they accepted. The additional charges quoted towards these 2 items were around Rs. 5000. So it is up to the customer to decide on the extra service provided by them.
Old 8th November 2023, 21:01   #1439
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msksalman View Post
1. Can you pls elaborate on which brake Pads (Brand) did you change to? i recently changed the brake pads at 20,000kms from MG service center and it costed me 4500 approx.

2. Even i am thinking of changing the Fog Lights. So can you pls mention which exactly have you changed to? how is the visibility? also, if any pictures you can share.
I did not opt for my personal choice of brake pads, but MG quoted me 7000 Rs. for just 4 brake pads!! I know it's an insane amount, so walked out, entered 5K Car Care (Here in Chennai), and switched to Bosch pads. They are 1600 Rs. for 4 pads. I don't notice any difference between the stock new pads and the Bosch pads.

I did not change the fog lights on my own wish. During my bumper replacement (due to me hitting a pig ), the fog light also broke off and decided to stop working. So, MG replaced them, of course charging me!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 16:40   #1440

Hi Guys!

I have recently sold my ride, Hyundai Verna Fluidic 2013 SX (o) Diesel MT. Been driving this for a decade now and have driven 171,500 kms. My experience of Hyundai was okish to be precise. From maintenance to rusting issues, I have seen much of Hyundai. No offense to any brand. Just my personal experience.

I have been a big fan of sedans. But, due to my recent issue of osteoarthritis, which I found out only after selling my car, I'm looking for Mid-Size SUV.

This segment is booming with options and can be very confusing to prioritize one over the other. All have something or the other to offer.

I have a family of five. Four adults and one 8 year old.

First, I had planned to go for Diesel Automatic, but the real confusion started when my doctor said to reduce my driving now. I am driving approx 50 kms a day from home to office and back. So then after a prolong thought, I will be now using my car for some days and will be traveling in private cabs on other days. My travel is 80% city and 20% highways.

My First Question: Should I opt for Diesel again or try to maintain peace with petrol.

If Petrol, is MG Astor 1.5 NA CVT good enough for my family?

A lot of mixed reviews about the software and mileage has been mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks