Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 19:55   #361
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Slavia? Like a Slave or Saliva? I don't know who comes with such ridiculous names! Even a kid would come up with a better name. That said, Where are the ADAS features in this? At least it should be optional for the price.
Slavia still sounds better than a car that rhymes with poop aka Ex-Creta with a design even a kid would hate to look at. Jokes apart, this car would seriously give its competition a run for their money with the 1.5 TSI engine. Glad to see sedans are still alive in a crowd of jacked up hatchbacks.

Last edited by Travelling_Monk : 19th November 2021 at 19:57.
Travelling_Monk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 21:09   #362
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia targets Honda City; aims 3k monthly sales

If Skoda shows its intent to stay in India and improve it's after sales services, this target of 2500 monthly sales is achievable.
People are going to get over the current hype of SUV in a couple of years. Downfall of sedans was accelerated by two factors:
1. Poor condition of roads
2. Very less number of options available in the category.

I feel this segment is going to get some heat in coming months and there will be some decent market share for all the players.

P.S. : When I upgraded from Figo, Nexon was the only choice in my price range with solid built quality. Now when I'll plan to upgrade after 3-4 years, I'll definitely be looking for a ruggedly built sedan with some serious torque figures and driving dynamics.
Risky4327 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 21:11   #363
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Slavia? Like a Slave or Saliva? I don't know who comes with such ridiculous names! Even a kid would come up with a better name. That said, Where are the ADAS features in this? At least it should be optional for the price.
Name literally indicates the "Slav" race as in erstwhile Yugoslavia. Probably a reference to Skoda's Czech origin. Slav is the community belonging to the Eastern European regions primarily the former Soviet block.
But I feel it is strange to name the car this way. It could have been appropriate for those regions to invoke connect. But what India has to do with such connect is not clear to me.

Last edited by rkw : 19th November 2021 at 21:19. Reason: Typo correction.
rkw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 21:18   #364
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Slavia, the region of the Slavs, was a part of Yugoslavia, not Czechoslovakia. (Yugoslavia is the present day Serbia and Montenegro). I don't think the present day Czech republic car maker wants to name a car as a tribute to erstwhile Yugoslavia.
It doesn't seem to be a tribute to Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia meant "land of the southern Slavs". Other countries in the region including the Czech Republic & Slovakia are also home to the Slavs.

Last edited by rkw : 19th November 2021 at 21:20. Reason: Typo correction.
Old 19th November 2021, 22:29   #365
BHPian

I feel that Slavia will sit between Rapid and Octavia and not sure if its a replacement for Rapid. Octavia moved from INR 22L OTR to INR 35-38 L. So Slavia could fill in the price point vacated by Octavia. I feel 20-28L OTR is a price point which today vacant in the VAG line up. The driving dynamics cant be very different from Taigun and that 1.5L engine and manual/ DSG is a very potent combination and will be liked by most of the drivers
Old 19th November 2021, 22:34   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky4327 View Post
. Downfall of sedans was accelerated by two factors:
1. Poor condition of roads
2. Very less number of options available in the category.
Except for the dated Vento twins, other sedans didn't handle any better than their CSUV counterparts, this too took the shine away from the sedans IMO.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 22:47   #367
Senior - BHPian

In a segment seeing slow death every year, petrol prices not cooling down any time soon and with no Diesel, I wonder how and where they intend to actually find those 3000 customers each month. Even if they price it right, they haven't exactly got an unblemished track record with their recent launches either.
But hey, aim high always I guess

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 19th November 2021 at 22:48.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 22:57   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
I feel that Slavia will sit between Rapid and Octavia and not sure if its a replacement for Rapid. Octavia moved from INR 22L OTR to INR 35-38 L. So Slavia could fill in the price point vacated by Octavia. I feel 20-28L OTR is a price point which today vacant in the VAG line up. The driving dynamics cant be very different from Taigun and that 1.5L engine and manual/ DSG is a very potent combination and will be liked by most of the drivers
While it will not be a Rapid replacement price and size wise, it definitely cannot fill the shoes of the old Octavia in any way. At 20-28 OTR this car's sales will be even lower than the new Octavia i.e. DOA. Best way is to look at this car as a Laura replacement and this should be launched at the old Laura prices to see any reasonable success.
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 23:30   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Monk View Post
Slavia still sounds better than a car that rhymes with poop aka Ex-Creta with a design even a kid would hate to look at.
Actually, for me and probably for many people from medical background the crown winner for weird names will not be creta, it will be baleno/glanza. I just can’t pronounce those names without thinking of the male reproductive organ

As for Slavia, I liked the exterior design a lot. Not so much in love with the dashboard design, but it’s something I probably will develop a taste for if I have to live with it. Anyway I liked it better than that of Kushaq. What I am really looking forward is to see the 1.5 L turbo petrol in an affordable European sedan. As far as I remember the only similar package before was the Linea T jet. Wish they had provided rear disk brakes also at least in the 1.5 L version.
Slavia has surely got my attention away from the SUVs, at least for the time being
Old 20th November 2021, 00:07   #370
BHPian

Real world walkaround of the Slavia

Must say, looks a real stunner in that shade of blue
vagman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 00:11   #371
BHPian

Just saw the Kushaq for real yesterday. Came back and had a good look at the Slavia interior photos and realised it's not going to be so premium feeling after all. I think all of these superlative impressions based on few professionally shot photographs is going a bit over the top.
Guite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 01:05   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Just saw the Kushaq for real yesterday. Came back and had a good look at the Slavia interior photos and realised it's not going to be so premium feeling after all. I think all of these superlative impressions based on few professionally shot photographs is going a bit over the top.
I see two major improvements that make this product much more appealing than the Kushaq.

1. The dull grey plastics are replaced by a more traditional black and beige combination. My biggest disappointment with the Kushaq - it should have been all black otherwise.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-2021skodakushaq02.jpg

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-img20211120wa0001.jpg

2. The horrible quality roof liner seems to have been changed.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-2021skodakushaq49.jpg

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-img20211120wa0000.jpg

Slavia pics from Gaadiwaadi walkaround YouTube video.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 01:12   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
In a segment seeing slow death every year, petrol prices not cooling down any time soon and with no Diesel, I wonder how and where they intend to actually find those 3000 customers each month. Even if they price it right, they haven't exactly got an unblemished track record with their recent launches either.
But hey, aim high always I guess
Totally agree with you, 3000 cars per month seems very ambitious. They should look at bringing the diesel back or add some mild hybrid technology to increase the mileage of petrol. Otherwise, I don't see any reason why someone would buy this over Honda City.
Old 20th November 2021, 01:19   #374
BHPian

The first Skoda in India in recent times that I look at and go "yeah I want that asap".

A competent engine, gearbox combo and this might be a booster shot for the flagging C Sedan segment.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 02:24   #375
BHPian

The car looks absolutely brilliant. Want to make a booking but unable to decide on the Color. If anyone from team bhp was at the event, can you please tell me if the red looks as good as it does in photos? The 3000 cancellation charge is seriously idiotic on a pre-booking

On price, the way this looks car looks, I doubt that this is going to be cheaper than the Kushaq. At most it will equal Kushaq’s price. It’s very likely that the 1.5 DSG model will go between 19-20L ex-showroom. We all know Škoda/VW always overprice a car, saying it’s more premium than competitors. This car actually looks more premium, so there’s no way it would be near the Honda city on price. If it’s cheaper than I would be extremely happy

Waiting on the reviews and price announcement to cancel my compass sport booking. Hopefully reviews come in before first week of December.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks