Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 12:58   #316
BANNED

Re: Skoda Slavia targets Honda City; aims 3k monthly sales

3000 - Three Thousand - Monthly sales?
I want to smoke what the management at Skoda are smoking. Must be the good stuff.

Yeah, not happening. Not salivating/slaviating.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th November 2021 at 13:49. Reason: Removing indirect expletive. Please refrain from posting expletives directly or otherwise. Thanks.
Electromotive is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:17   #317
KPR
BANNED

Before it happens I should start a flat bed tow truck business soon.
KPR is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:25   #318
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

This is a very nice looking car. If I had to criticize it, the rear end styling (especially, the tail lamps) could have been better.

Regarding pricing, I am positive that it will be priced higher than the Kushaq. If Skoda couldn't get the Kushaq's pricing lower than 10L, this has no chance of being below 11L. That said, it would be worth every penny given the styling and equipment.
Old 19th November 2021, 13:33   #319
BHPian

It is a totally beautiful car, well done Skoda on this. Also ,the raised stance gives off the same vibe as my Rapid 1.6 mpi base variant from 2011 with the smaller wheels .
Old 19th November 2021, 13:44   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
This means, the company clearly has the segment leader Honda City, in its sights. If you look at the average City sales for the last 6 months, Honda has sold over 2,900 units.

The Slavia's other segment rivals include the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and the Hyundai Verna
Personally - I feel the City is a leader only because of poor competition. As a customer in 2021 - I find it as exciting (and just as spacious, practical also reliable) as a WagonR is for it's segment. Mediocre looks (overstyled and stretched over time from the looks of the sharp Gen-3, with large overhangs at either ends), 1.5 NA engine, CVT automatic, average handling and high speed manners, etc.

Sensible, and ticking many boxes on paper - but without any excitement left. However, it is quite likely that the sensible choice will continue to remain the sales leader.

The Slavia 1.5 TSi DSG or even the 150hp MT - Now that is something else. Even the Rapid 1.0 AT was faster than a City 1.5 manual - so even the Slavia will most likely give the City a run for it's money.

Whether it beats the City in sales or not - I guess we have a new segment favourite! A poster boy for sedans in this new world of crossovers.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th November 2021 at 13:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:45   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Slavia? Like a Slave or Saliva? I don't know who comes with such ridiculous names! Even a kid would come up with a better name. That said, Where are the ADAS features in this? At least it should be optional for the price.
Still better than owning, driving and maintaining a 'laura'

Jokes apart, if the car can match the legroom and seat comfort of the City or even the Ciaz then Skoda has a very strong case if priced well !
Turbokick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:46   #322
BHPian

Rest of India - oh! no.. it's got a raised stance.

Bangaloreans - Raised Stance? OMG! Shut up and take my money! (perennial floods + no roads + Nandi Hills inspired speed bumps)

It's definitely a good looking sedan with all the right features. Glad to see that VAG as a group have figured that they can fill the C2/D1 segment left behind by Honda / Toyota and have a great profitable run on it. Think about it - 7 years ago, the top of the line Vento was 12L on road. This car, as someone predicted, could breach the 20L mark. That's a (math people look away) ~10% YoY increase. I don't think input costs went up by that much and so I think VAG is making a pretty penny out of each one of these.

Glad VAG has decided to stay and not run like others (I am looking at you North American car maker who I won't mention here) despite their mediocre numbers compared to the Indian behemoths.

Hope they keep bringing in new products for the niche market and make a good profit.
Mad Max is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:59   #323
BHPian

Skoda's ever present service issues coupled with unavailability of a diesel option means, I think Skoda management is way too optimistic about the Slavia and they're in for a huge disappointment.

Even a BS6 version of the old 1.5 TDI would've been fine for the car, but the scandal has hit their diesel ambitions way too hard, I assume.
Old 19th November 2021, 14:14   #324
BANNED

With City managing 3600 units in October and Verna doing 2400, I guess 2,000 can be a more realistic number. Yes VW + Skoda offering combined can do 3,000 IMO, can be quite realistic.

The best thing about India buyers is that they see value before the segment, if they find that the car is offering what they need, and the price is in the budget - they normally bite the bullet.

Skoda has got an ace up the sleeve, of they price it right, the Slavia may slay IMO.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 14:16   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
Guys when can we expect the price unveil? And also what according to you would be the price range OTR?
I'm gonna get the delivery of City ZX CVT in the first week of December! Should I wait for the Slavia?
I don't want to strech my budget more than 17L OTR
If you are looking at the equivalent variant, it would be the 1.0 L Style AT. Given that you will be getting extra features such as cooled seats, wireless charging and Carplay, there is no chance it will undercut the ZX CVT.

ZX CVT is already 17 lacs, Kushaq 1L Style AT is 18.13 without 6 airbags and 18.6 with 6 airbags. Even if they undercut Kushaq's price (which I highly doubt) by 50k, you'll still be paying more that 17.5 lacs easily. (All Delhi on-road estimated prices)

Surely you should wait for the price announcement but don't get your hopes up wrt pricing. Also, the 1.5 NA+CVT would be much more drivable in the City compared to 1 TC+AT based on my test drives.
Old 19th November 2021, 14:20   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But in a shocker - Skoda has included a 3000/- INR cancellation charge in the terms and conditions. That is atrocious IMHO!

Skoda expects customers to book without knowing the price, the final variant distribution, the safety ratings or any such information - and lose out on INR 3000 out of the 11,000 if Skoda manages to goof up?
Received a call from the Skoda showroom today (the sales person has been in touch once in a while ever since I enquired on the Kushaq), so I asked clarification on this.

Bookings done online through Skoda will have a 3000/- cancellation fee charged. However, showroom bookings are 100% refundable, and the same will be given in writing.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 14:22   #327
BHPian

Sir, sales is not everything!

Trust in the Brand is the biggest thing in India.
Why do you think Maruti despite being so poor in built quality and safety is still the Market leader!?

Untill Skoda aims for the customer's trust and provides "ZERO Headache Service", this is not possible. And this will take atleast 2-3 years assuming that there is less than 5% failure of the Skoda branded cars.

But still, All the Best.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 14:23   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

A wonderful-looking Sedan. This segment has been starved for good looking choices for a long time. Whenever I see a Ciaz, I just feel sad. The new City is a decent looker but spoiled by poor build and paint quality. The Vento/Rapid twins were disproportionate ijn the first place as they were too narrow for the height and length. The Slavia is 53mm wider than the Vento while being only 20 mm taller, so this should restore the ideal sedan proportions. Yes the raised stance takes a little bit of the classic look away, but will not be too noticeable on our roads and will actually add to peace-of-mind.

It is also good to see cruise control being available from Ambition Trim onwards. VW did not offer this even in the GT trim of the Taigun and reserved it for the GT plus! I hope they bring an 1.0 TSI Ambition at 9.99 Lakhs and an Ambition AT at say 10.99 lakhs. That would get them the kind of volumes they are looking for! Also, an 1.5 TSI Ambition MT at around 12 lakhs at a future date would be very sweet for enthusiasts, although for now only Style trim is being offered for the 1.5 TSI motor currently.

The booking form allows the following variants to be booked: 1.0 TSI - Active, Ambition (Manual & Auto), Style (Manual & Auto) AND 1.5 TSI - Style Only (Manual & Auto). Color choices allowed are the same (5 colors) across all variants.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th November 2021 at 14:36.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 14:26   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

What a car! Looks incredibly good - Skoda is really outdoing itself on design. The only sad thing is that it may be too little too late - Indians have moved away from sedans and even a fantastic one like this, with the ground clearance of an SUV, may not entice them back. Assuming this ends up 10% lighter than the Kushaq, the 1.5 TSI DSG a will fly. With any other manufacturer, this car would have the potential to sell 10,000 units a month - so meeting their target of 2000-3000 should be relatively easy.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 14:31   #330
srh
BHPian

It is unlikely to attain that kind of volume. Going by past trends, they will price the Slavia at a significant premium to the City. That itself takes away the possibility of substantial volumes.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed