Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 11:00   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

From what I have seen so far!

1. Hate that steering wheel! Don't mind the two spoke, but don't like that lump at the bottom one bit. Also hope that steering can come down a bit more. it's too angled in the photos for my liking.
2. Absolutely hate that partial cladding on the boot lid. Yes, many popular cars in this market don't get anything so this is an improvement, but it is going to scream cost cutting everytime I open or close that boot. Ideally should have been a notchback, but that is too much of an ask here in this market I guess.
3. Don't like the color theme - too much yellow for my liking on the inside, but given the big compromises we make on most new cars nowadays, it's certainly liveable. Hope it's better in person.
4. Don't like the ACC panel. The good old analogue unit from Rapid is all we needed here.
5. Don't like the stance of the car, it's sitting too tall on those gorgeous wheels.
6. Too bad they swapped the lovely dials from the Kushaq for that digital mess on this one.

Apart from all the above, I like what I see and I am very much looking forward to the 1.5 DSG. Let's see how it drives. That's the variant to buy if priced well.

I also hope VAG has learned from the mistakes made on the interior trim - upholstery, roofline etc of the crossovers and it's better on the sedans.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:09   #302
BHPian

This car looks really good and the top end comes with a powerful engine too! This is basically a Kushaq sedan and therefore will be priced a little lower than the Kushaq because people love SUVs.

The Kushaq top end 1.5 DSG costs 21.67 lakhs in Chennai and I expect the Slavia 1.5 DSG to cross the 20 lakh number as well. The City will be cheaper and therefore I doubt the Slavia will "kill" it.

The Octavia costs more than 30 lakhs on road, so the gap between these cars is sizable. I am not sure there will be cannibalisation between these cars and besides the Octavia sells very few cars per month.

I hope this car does well, we need to reward manufacturers who provide exciting engine / gearbox combinations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I'd say a fitting replacement for Vento/Rapid.
Looks good and it's well-kitted (could be different for people. I consider my Vento to be sufficiently well-kitted).
I agree with you. It looks like a great replacement for my Vento TSI. However I think this will be priced closer to 20 lakhs on road for the top end automatic which will cost almost 80% more than what I paid 5 years ago for the Vento. It does come with a more powerful engine and far better interiors though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
- Ventilated seats. Thankfully, Indians are now being offered not just shiny chrome but features that are actually useful and kind of needed. Bro, that ass needs some cooling in the freaking hot and humid weather on western coast.
True!

Ventilated seats are really great! I love it in my brother's 2018 Verna, I hope more manufacturers make this standard in their cars.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:38   #303
BHPian

The car looks neat and appealing though the seats remind me of Vento. One of my observations in recent days with the VW/Skoda entry-level cars is that the build quality is not like how it was during 2010-2012. The earlier cars were built like tanks and I see the recent ones as a worry - I recently checked the VW Taigun and Vento. I felt that the bonnet was strong and heavy whereas the doors were not that strong as earlier, maybe comparable to Renault.
Hence, did anyone get to check the build quality of Slavia during the launch event? Is it comparable to the current generation of Octavia or would it be similar to the current Vento/Rapid.
Old 19th November 2021, 11:42   #304
Team-BHP Support

One car where I honestly am not able to pick a favourite colour. Looks beautiful in both red (may need some Monte Carlo treatment though) and blue options.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-bigtorquerpost2021_11_18_21_471.jpg

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-bigtorquerpost2021_11_18_21_47.jpg

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-bigtorquerpost2021_11_18_21_473.jpg

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-bigtorquerpost2021_11_18_21_472.jpg

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-bigtorquerpost2021_11_18_21_474.jpg

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-bigtorquerpost2021_11_18_21_475.jpg

Source - https://www.instagram.com/p/CWbHDPvN...dium=copy_link

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Skoda isn't forcing any one to book, it's upto individuals to take the risk.

In all, it's a right move in current market conditions and 3K is worth the risk for a serious buyer. Sedan are dying breed.
IMHO - it doesn't work that way! What I forsee will happen is - many customers will pre-book expecting the terms to remain like usual (without reading the terms and conditions PDF till Page 4) and will end up extremely disappointed with Skoda when they cancel and realize the 3k loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Sharing the brochure of the Slavia from the Skoda website, though it is very basic in nature.
Thanks. Looks like Skoda Sound with 8 speakers and subwoofer is present in the Slavia as well. Wonder if the spare mounted sub-woofer will be enough in case of the Slavia, as compared to the smaller cabin of the Kushaq.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:50   #305
BHPian

I feel the car ticks all the right boxes. Looks ok - can live with it and I think it will grow on you eventually - interiors are nice, 1.5tsi is the perfect engine, boot is great and most importantly ground clearance is something that is practical for India. Sure, there is no way to please everyone and knit picking will be there, however at this stage only one thing can break this honest effort, that is their infamous after sales service. If they can get that piece straight, I think they have got a winner on their hands.
Old 19th November 2021, 11:55   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post

Typical Germans, controls are left hand oriented. I will be warry of allowing kid to be sitting on the front passenger seat and fiddling with these buttons.

Attachment 2234445
I completely agree with you and the controls should be switched for better access to the driver. Kids however should not be seated in the front seats and I expect BHPians to follow and lead by example.
Old 19th November 2021, 11:57   #307
Senior - BHPian

A German sedan, 1.5 litre turbo petrol and a manual at that. Should be enough but it's spacious and well appointed to. I think that this is the true successor to the Jetta in India. I feel a lot of Jetta owners and Vento owners will upgrade to it.

Looks a little "rear in the air" stance but I think folks who are particular about that should find it easy to get a set of lowering springs to get a desirable stance. It is important for Skoda to adapt to the practical requirements in India. With the current weather patterns in Kerala any road has the potential to be water logged and GC is an important factor.

Can't wait to check it out in person. I just hope that Skoda prices it in the 15-20 lakh bracket.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:58   #308
BHPian

Slavia? Like a Slave or Saliva? I don't know who comes with such ridiculous names! Even a kid would come up with a better name. That said, Where are the ADAS features in this? At least it should be optional for the price.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:17   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Slavia? Like a Slave or Saliva? I don't know who comes with such ridiculous names! Even a kid would come up with a better name.
Slavia, as in the area inhabited by the Slavs. Basically that joke has the potential to insult about 350 million people.

Also the name of the first product from Skoda - a bicycle.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:21   #310
BHPian

Many Linea T-Jet owners including me who are looking or will be looking in a few years for an upgrade or may have crossed many years with their cars and looking to change within the C2 Sedan segment will have a keen eye on the Skoda Slavia. This looks good and feature rich and hope it is built solidly. 6 Airbags is a must have in these times and hope it atleast scores 4 stars in the safety tests. The 150BHP engine with 250NM of torque in its manual variant is going to be kickass in a sedan despite the 170mm GC.

Can only hope for sorted riding dynamics in the final version of the car with well weighted steering at higher speeds. This has a good deal of safety features and all nice feature additions in the top end version as well.

Linea TJet facelift was ahead of its times with its features list and for someone who has owned one for 7+ years and maybe looking to upgrade in 2-3 years time or for any enthusiast, the turbo engine, features, boot space, interiors, etc tick most of the checklist items. Only thing needs to be seen is the way it handles, rides and how good the steering feedback is. I believe Skoda has a winner on their hands since despite the SUV mania, their are still many people who like the practicality of a large boot, driving dynamics of a sedan and the higher GC in such a sedan on our roads. Would give it a year for initial niggles to be sorted and then would look to swap the Linea for the Slavia in 2-3 years time frame.

The Blue looks majestic but personally prefer the Carbon Grey since I prefer neutral shades in a sedan. It looks majestic in the Carbon Grey and the Silver shades. The mix of beige and black will give it a more airy feeling and will look like it has more space. Can't wait to look at this car in person and test drive the car.

Last edited by whencut86 : 19th November 2021 at 12:24. Reason: correction
Old 19th November 2021, 12:26   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

IMHO - it doesn't work that way! What I forsee will happen is - many customers will pre-book expecting the terms to remain like usual (without reading the terms and conditions PDF till Page 4) and will end up extremely disappointed with Skoda when they cancel and realize the 3k .
How many folks book purely online? Even those who would book online will mostly call nearest dealership make some enquiries and then go ahead book. Offline bookings % will be more than online any day. For offline booking, dealers do have the responsibility to let customers know on cancellation charges when taking a booking. Indian buyers are lot cautious when they spend their money. Personally have booked 9 vehicles from VW and Skoda out of which 6 ended up in garage and every time a vehicle is booked, always double confirmed on cancellation charges. Yes I don’t assume that there won’t be odd cases but it’s equal responsibility of customer to ask right questions ans understand T&C. it’s your money and your risk that your are willing to take.
Old 19th November 2021, 12:27   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks. Looks like Skoda Sound with 8 speakers and subwoofer is present in the Slavia as well. Wonder if the spare mounted sub-woofer will be enough in case of the Slavia, as compared to the smaller cabin of the Kushaq.
In a sedan the boot is usually physically separate from the cabin, wherein the cabin is sealed and there is not air passage from boot to cabin. So I am just wondering: is the subwoofer usually mounted in the spare wheel well in the boot of a sedan? If yes, isn't music performance compromised?
Guite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:34   #313
BANNED

The Snapper Rocks blue metallic of the 220d could be the inspiration for the Crystal blue in the Slavia:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-496d55b10ed148ea82cf15b7aadf856e.jpeg  

Attached Images

EV NXT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:40   #314
BHPian

Dear Mods, Will we have a Kushaq like review for Slavia's Static Premiere?
Old 19th November 2021, 12:55   #315
BHPian

Slavia looks very mature and lovely.

GC at 179mm is very good. Remember Linea with 16 inch wheels has GC of 185mm and still had an amazing ride and handling dynamics.

Lot of people talking about rolling, its b'cos of top heaviness, which Slavia is not. So shouldn't be a problem. Hope they have tuned the suspension well.

Wish the Slavia retains the tight build quality of the Rapid and Vento.

Though a front wheel drive car, SVAG cars have a tunnel running though cabin to improve the rigidity of the monocoque. But in turn makes their cars for 4 people.

DQ200 failures have reduced greatly. In my family, we have Vento (2), Rapid (3) and Ameo (1) - all 1.5 TDi AT combo. Both vento ATs have crossed 100000 kms. Combined mileage of 400000 kms plus. Happy to report they have all been niggle free from transmission point of view. We're very happy with it.

16 inch wheels are the limit for the bad indian roads. I prefer 15 inchers with 60 section tyres on my vento rather than the 16 inchers with 55 section tyres. BTW, you get wide variety to choose from 15" and 17" than 16". Cost wise also 15" are way economical when compared to 16".

to eat into City's market share of around 4000 cars/month - slavia needs to be priced well. 1.5 AT shouldn't be beyond 50k from the City.
svmvale is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks