Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 07:14   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Sharing the brochure of the Slavia from the Skoda website, though it is very basic in nature.
Ironically whenever I write Slavia on my mobile, it keeps autocorrecting it to "Saliva"

Some things the car has better than Kushaq:
Ventilated seats
Much bigger boot space
Digital driver information display
And also hopefully 6 airbags in Style At variant (at launch)

If the Slavia has good ground clearance and good ride quality like the Kushaq it can be a good sedan for cities with bad roads like Gurgaon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf slavia-brochure.pdf (3.99 MB, 357 views)

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th November 2021 at 07:18.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 08:08   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
I don't know why people have hopes for Skoda or VW. It is inevitable that these two have to eventually pack up and leave India.

Both Kushaq and Taigun are overpriced period. How are people buying them, I can't comprehend .

Kia and Creta are offering much more in this price range. And the hassles with after sales service, the less we talk, the better.
I am someone who's in the market looking for a mid-size SUV and trust me, Creta doesn't offer "much more" in the price range. If anything, Creta is overpriced for all their lower models except the very top one. I have compared Creta, Astor, Kushaq, even Honda City and all others offer more at similar or lower prices. I eventually dropped Creta as an option because it just didn't make sense unless I am buying the top variant.

As for Kushaq and Tiagun, they offer something that none of the cars in the segment do. Excellent driving dynamics & solid build quality. After having test driven Astor, Creta and City, Kushaq literally brought a smile to my face. It was fun to drive, could handle being thrown around the corners without significant body roll, comfortable suspensions that suit both highway & city roads and overall look & feel inside the cabin is premium as well with a few exceptions. Unfortunately, 90% people are looking for that and most people fall for the marketing hype that Creta offers more features for the price which isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Sharing the brochure of the Slavia from the Skoda website, though it is very basic in nature.
Ironically whenever I write Slavia on my mobile, it keeps autocorrecting it to "Saliva"

Some things the car has better than Kushaq:
Ventilated seats
Much bigger boot space
Digital driver information display
And also hopefully 6 airbags in Style At variant (at launch)

If the Slavia has good ground clearance and good ride quality like the Kushaq it can be a good sedan for cities with bad roads like Gurgaon.
Kushaq actually has ventilated seats, but only in the top variant. I test drove one and I expect Slavia to at least match the driving experience, since it's a sedan even if slightly raised. The engine performance would be exactly similar, and I loved the Kushaq in spite of being the 1.0 TSI (it's a breathe of fresh air relative to competition who just tune their engines for mileage)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th November 2021 at 08:28. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
amey027 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:23   #288
Senior - BHPian

A massive, old school mechanical handbrake! This is good. I am so glad.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:31   #289
BHPian

A Skoda for the years to come! Clean lines and crisp styling, sound interior to go with. An awesome combo of 1.5 TSI and DSG is another big plus.
A worthy replacement for the Rapid indeed.
Lots of elements shared with the Kushaq and partly with the octavia and superb as well.
The blue we all loved with the Octavia and Superb is back in the Slavia.
Competition beware! A new segment leader in the making.
pradheepsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:38   #290
BHPian

The car looks typical Skoda, which is not a bad thing. Hope they fix all the niggles before launch unlike the Kushaq. Also hope we dont see any failure of the DQ200 gearbox.
Old 19th November 2021, 09:50   #291
BHPian

I believe this is a brilliant package from Skoda. A good looking, spacious, well-built sedan with enough features, 1.5 L DSG and high ground clearance to tackle our Indian roads. Hope they don't overprice & kill it. An exciting car that should also be safe (at least average) in a sea of boring cars.

Contrary to many, I don't see much of a problem with the stance. Yes it looks a bit straight but the added practicality can't be ignored. Don't like it? Throw away the puny 16 inchers and put in 17 inch wheels and the Slavia will look even better.

Worried about body roll? Shouldn't be. This is a proper 3 box sedan at the end of the day, unlike raised hatchbacks that masquerade as SUVs. Which means better weight distribution and better dynamics. Throw a Linea with high GC around a corner and you will get to know. It's still light years ahead of all the CSUVs. This will have good handling with the ability to tackle Indian roads. Thicker rubber would improvise looks & handling too. Overall a practical & exciting car that also looks good without trying too hard.

Skoda please price it sensibly. We need you to stay in India at the end of the day. I believe this car will age gracefully, just like most of the European designs. Midlife facelift should throw in 17 inch wheels (as they are already offered in the Kushaq) + full digital cockpit.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:54   #292
BHPian

The car looks absolutely stunning. It almost makes me feel regret for buying the last gen Rapid 1.0 TSI in 2020, but again a 1+ year wait wasn't on the cards.

The raised stance? I for one am glad they did that. I don't want people to have a panic moment every time they crossover an ungainly speed hump scraping the underbelly & rear bumper, like I do in my Rapid.

Sacrificing a bit of looks for the peace of mind? Bring it on Skoda!

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:55   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Some more images. A bit bulky from the rear, but beautiful nevertheless.
Skoda certainly knows design and color selection.
If only they would spend a bit more time on the names of these beautiful vehicles.
Laura and now Slavia. Is that there best they can do?
Old 19th November 2021, 09:56   #294
BHPian

Slavia with that higher GC is for sure going to confuse a lot of people and make them question - If GC is not an issue, would you go for boxy design or for a longer sedan?!

Practically on paper this car offers all basics - higher GC for Indian roads, leg space, boot space, good use of LEDs, European classic design, driving dynamics (ref. to Kushaq).

Given that Kushaq has got good reviews for its handling, driving dynamics, engine power in 1 and 1.5L TSI, this car will for sure try to pull away few from C-SUVs (Elevated Hatch!).

Only wish-list for this car:
{{ 1) 17 or 18 inch blacked out alloys (black ones as were used in camo car review)
2) All black Sporty interior (Sportline / Monte Carlo) }} will go well with new blue, red and all black colour schemes
3) All black exterior paint (like Octavia) + dechroming
4) ADAS??!! + 360 camera
5) Better fit and finish (compared to Kushaq)
6) E-parking and auto-hold (good to have, but not a deal breaker)

Maybe its too much to ask for, that too from Skoda. There is no news for Kushaq MC or Sportline yet, that shows how slow they will be to bring new variants.

Most likely 2022 CYQ1 they will start selling Slavia and then in CYQ2 VW will start selling their new sedan. Post that in Q3 during festive season, they may launch new variants of Kushaq and bring features like ADAS and 360 cam in 2023-24. By 2024, most likely people will start upgrading to EVs, with rapid growth in infra undergoing at present.

Skoda / VW - you need to speed up with addition of new variants & match feature list of competition!!
Old 19th November 2021, 10:04   #295
BHPian

The Slavia looks great especially in the blue. Skoda cars always look mature, understated and classy. Slavia continues the trend, hope they price it right so it it becomes a top seller.
Old 19th November 2021, 10:25   #296
BHPian

With the launch and price rumours suggesting a hefty price tag, I wonder if Skoda would be willing to adapt the Fabia for India. I'm not too sure about the MQB A0 IN being able.to be shrunk since the Kushaq and Slavia have similar chassis dimensions.

Seeing as there is a market for premium hatchbacks that command a premium, the Fabia and Polo could potentially cover the 7-13 lakh bracket that the Vento and Rapid are leaving. At that price, having the 1.0 TSI and maybe DSG would be worth it.
Old 19th November 2021, 10:34   #297

I am a good old auto enthusiast who prefers mechanical overhaul over electrically assised features in cars. But with changing times and the analogue speedometers which are in the verge of extinction I am starting to adapt and move on from my hollistic approach towards cars.

My take on the Skoda Slavia :

Safety:
I prefer safety over any other feature, coming to the MQB AO IN platform which has been tried and tested the car will probably score well in the GNCAP. 6 Airbags is a good addition and will be exclusively offered for the top spec variant only.

Price:
Coming to the pricing I expect this car to be priced in the price range of 9-15 lakh rupees. 15L for the top spec 1.5 AT version. Anything above this price range will be ruled out by the average Indian buyer for this car.

Mileage:
Probably a first priority for the average Indian buyer this car will be scoring sub par in this segment. 10-12 kmpl is what I anticipate for the 1 Litre variant, which will be obviously be the top selling variant.

Ground clearance:
I have seen sedans struggle with the natural and man made speed breakers. (Potholes are the natural speed breakers which regulate the speed limit way better than any other method used for regulating the speed). 110 mm for the Skoda Octavia was a big downer. Anything less than 150mm for this car will be very disappointing and push consumers away.

Features/ Party tricks:
I apologise for calling features party tricks because in my opinion a car should be something as the BMW's tag line. Sheer "DRIVING" pleasure. Give me an AUX cable and a decent music system that's more than sufficient for entertaining myself in the car.
Jokes apart this car is fully loaded with segment first features like a tablet fitted in the place of a speedometer (virtual cockpit), automatic vipers etc.

What I would like to change in this car:
I would have preferred a 17incher over the 16incher.

Wishing everyone a very happy and safe journeys ahead !
Old 19th November 2021, 10:38   #298
BHPian

Skoda seems to have a winner in its hands with the Slavia. I love the mini Octavia design! The 1.5TSi manual/DSG variant might just be a hit with the enthusiasts, a few decent mods can make this baby fly!
Old 19th November 2021, 10:52   #299
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia comparison against other sedans in this segment, including the outgoing Rapid.

Engine specs and dimensions

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-smartselect_20211119104845_chrome.jpg

Compared to the outgoing Rapid, the new Slavia is 128mm longer, 53mm wider, 21mm taller and has a 99mm longer wheelbase.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-smartselect_20211119104856_chrome.jpg

Source : ACI

Last edited by Venkatesh : 19th November 2021 at 10:55.
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:53   #300
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Slavia targets Honda City; aims 3k monthly sales

Skoda recently revealed its latest mid-size sedan, the Slavia, for the Indian market. While pre-bookings are now open, the car will go on sale early next year. The carmaker has even set ambitious targets for the new sedan.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-07_skoda_slavia1440x960.jpg

Zac Hollis, Skoda's brand director has stated that the company aims to sell 2,500-3,000 units per month in the long term. This means, the company clearly has the segment leader Honda City, in its sights. If you look at the average City sales for the last 6 months, Honda has sold over 2,900 units.

The Slavia's other segment rivals include the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and the Hyundai Verna. On average, Hyundai has sold around 1,800 Verna models in the last 6 months, while the Ciaz clocked just 1,100 units.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-05_skoda_slavia1440x960.jpg

Skoda has also confirmed that it will be looking at other volume segments below the Slavia and the best body style to bring to the market.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 19th November 2021 at 10:55.
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks