Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 06:07   #376
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

If I am looking for a sedan with good driving dynamics to replace my T Jet (or a Vento/City by someone else) and also want to feel that is an 'upgrade' in terms of power, safety and features, the 1.5TSI seems to be a good option where I may not have to (hopefully) spend a fortune! (and thus avoiding going for the Octavia).

But after only 7 years and 85000kms on the odo of my T Jet (2014 emotion variant which has decent features), I am in no mood to dispose her off at present!

My (very amaeturish) guess is that the 1.0TSI will be positioned as a competition to the City and the 1.5TSI will be priced somewhere between the Kushaq and Octavia.

I like the looks of Slavia though the name is not very exciting. And a 'car' means a sedan to me!
sparameswaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 06:28   #377
BANNED

I seem to find the interior color scheme of the Kushaq more appealing. There are 3 colors - piano black (controls, screen etc which is black), dark grey (steering wheel, top of dash, seat exterior) and light grey (centre of seats).

Skoda has replaced the light grey with beige in the Slavia. The beige clashes with the dark grey colors. It may have been better if it was beige and black alone but the 3 color scheme makes the beige appear to not go well with the rest.
Old 20th November 2021, 07:01   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post

My (very amaeturish) guess is that the 1.0TSI will be positioned as a competition to the City and the 1.5TSI will be priced somewhere between the Kushaq and Octavia.
I guess it will be a good strategy for Skoda to sell Slavia in good numbers for this segment which is 1500 to 2500 if they want to attach a certain premiumness and maintain good profitability.
But if they want to target above 3000 then they will have to seriously undercut City. Maybe come out with more engine/gearbox options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post

I like the looks of Slavia though the name is not very exciting. And a 'car' means a sedan to me!
Slavia is ok I guess. Given that this name is linked to their heritage. We will get used to it.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 07:53   #379
Senior - BHPian

I can see why Skoda would raise the GC like that, I bet that's the number one reason why their sedans are rejected for an SUV in most instances.

I'll just stick my head out and say that Skoda does know that driving experience is one of their core USPs and I doubt they would've completely ruined it. I'll reserve my comments for the proper reviews and test drives. I'm willing to bet it'll still be good.

Sincerely wish Skoda doesn't mess up this time.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 08:03   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
Beautiful, but not as stunning as Octavia. I was hoping for a price announcement too. Fingers crossed.
I am sure the marketing and finance departments are fighting over that right now as we speak
Old 20th November 2021, 08:04   #381
Senior - BHPian

New TVC

Old 20th November 2021, 08:13   #382
xci

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Was just showing these pics to my 7 yr old. His first reaction, is this updated Octavia in new colors? We recently got one at home hence his reaction was bound to be towards that tangent. Had to explain him minor differences.

Typical Germans, controls are left hand oriented. I will be warry of allowing kid to be sitting on the front passenger seat and fiddling with these buttons.

Attachment 2234445

Position of MID AC vents in salvia is higher than Octavia and it is much practical here. Octavia vents in the middle are placed so slow that it feels like they are cooling leg areas rather than upper body.
A kid should always be seated in the back seat, with or without child seat as per age. Us Indians have a tendency to make the child seat in front, which is quite unsafe, for a number of reasons.

Having said that, the German cars should have these controls to the right side, in RHD countries.

Also, this car looks stunning. The interior is lifted straight from the Euro-spec (except the digital cluster, and the mirror-mounted usb for dashcam). The raised GC is practical for India. I hope the roof liner is the better one (as is in Polo, Ameo, Vento, Rapid).

I think they have again skipped on the one-touch operation for the windows (and sunroof). That was a neat feature to have.
xci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 08:15   #383
BHPian

Looking at the walkaround of the 1.5 MT, it looks like seat ventilation is available.

Also, can anyone make out if the stalks are LHD or RHD config?

EDIT: RHD config as expected.

Just curious about whether side airbags are available on the 1.5 MT now
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-screenshot_20211120081917266.jpeg  

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-screenshot_20211120081744815.jpeg  

Last edited by nukeblitz : 20th November 2021 at 08:20.
nukeblitz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 09:43   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Just saw the Kushaq for real yesterday. Came back and had a good look at the Slavia interior photos and realised it's not going to be so premium feeling after all. I think all of these superlative impressions based on few professionally shot photographs is going a bit over the top.
Well for me it was other way. I actually thought the colour combination, quality etc. of both Kushaq and Taigun were pretty bad seeing the photos in Team BHP and other platforms. But when I checked it in real life I was pleasantly surprised and I felt the quality is actually better than Creta / Seltos though lot of hard plastics used. It had more built to last and premium feel.
I am not talking about the specific parts where there is clear cost cut like AC vents, roof liner etc. So I am more positive that in real life Slavia interiors will be better than in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeblitz View Post
Also, can anyone make out if the stalks are LHD or RHD config?

EDIT: RHD config as expected.
I don’t think VAG is going to change that at all. Honestly we get used to it pretty fast, whether RHD or LHD

Last edited by sunikkat : 20th November 2021 at 09:48.
Old 20th November 2021, 11:07   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure why most members are expecting the Slavia to be priced at the same level or above the Kushaq. In the Indian market and even globally, SUV body shape is priced at a premium to the equivalent Sedan. Clearly Slavia and Kushaq share the same platform and mechanicals and even share many other elements such as the ICE and steering. The SUV is definitely more expensive to build given the larger dimensions and the rear tailgate has far more content than the simple Sedan boot (the Slavia does not even have a full inner liner on the boot!). So I would expect the Slavia to be priced substantially lower than the Kushaq. Skoda and even VW lack models in the sub 10 lakh ex-showroom price as the Rapid and Vento (and maybe even the Polo) will need to be phased out soon to make way for the new MQB based models. Once that happens, the group will have no cards to play in the volume segment of 8-10 lakhs ex-showroom. Recent market launches from other manufacturers have been very competitive at the lower ends of each range - case in point in the MG Astor and Mahindra XUV700 which both offer fantastic value as far as the entry and lower variants in each line-up. My guess is Skoda will go all out with an aggressive price point for the Slavia range around 15-20% lower than the equivalent Kushaq trims.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th November 2021 at 11:12.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:30   #386
BHPian

The design looks clean and fantastic to me especially in Tornado Red.

The raised stance is a very welcome move IMO, given the road conditions here. Trend right now is SUVs/ CSUVs, nobody likes to sit low on the road anymore. Slightly helps for ingress egress too. So big .

Will this cannibalize the sales of Honda City? I don't think so. Expecting Slavia to be priced similar to Kushaq, its a good 2 lakh costlier than the new City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
Guys when can we expect the price unveil? Should I wait for the Slavia?
Just go with the City. Don't think they will price it 2 lakhs cheaper to match with City's price. On top of that If your majority driving is in city conditions Honda's 1.5 IVTech is much much better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post

"Now, if you're wondering about DSG reliability, don't be worried because Skoda India and the VW group India have really put in a lot of effort and have improved the way the DQ200 actually functions. There are some hardware changes as well and it is now a much much more reliable gearbox is what they assure and promise us."
DQ200 is not manufactured in India.
Did the VA Group release any press release regarding this. No. Then I highly doubt this is the case. PowerDrift is just promoting the group is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post
I am someone who's in the market looking for a mid-size SUV and trust me, Creta doesn't offer "much more" in the price range. If anything, Creta is overpriced for all their lower models except the very top one. I have compared Creta, Astor, Kushaq, even Honda City and all others offer more at similar or lower prices.
My rant is against skoda's absurd pricing of kushaq and Taigun. Only thing going for me, over and above 21lakh OTR is that 1.5TSI.
Seltos/Creta at the same price screams VFM, compared to these

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I am not sure why most members are expecting the Slavia to be priced at the same level or above the Kushaq.
Everyone expected the same to happen for Kushaq (Agressive pricing to make volumes). They did the opposite. I'll not be surprised if this will cost much more than Kushaq. Maddening to see a company make these kind of decisions when their factories running at 50% capacity.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th November 2021 at 14:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts and trimming quoted post.
Old 20th November 2021, 13:10   #387
BHPian

I am really surprised at some comments about the pricing of Slavia. Just because it's a sedan, it should be priced below Kushaq? Slavia has better interiors, gets digital cockpit and definitely has better road presence. To me the Slavia 1.5 is poor man's 3 series or A4. It looks better than the Kushaq and will drive better too being a sedan. I will be really surprised if Style 1.5 of Slavia undercuts Kushaq's Style 1.5. And if this happens, the already slow selling Kushaq will face tough times.
RD150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 13:14   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda should work out to offer better looking 17" wheels as an optional extra or available to purchase through the official accessories from the dealership.

The wheel-well gap & raised suspension will allow 205/55 to be maintained hence the ride will not be compromised.

Also this will standardise 1 tyre size for Kushaq, Slavia & Octavia

Last edited by karan561 : 20th November 2021 at 13:17.
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 14:07   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklitex View Post
The car looks absolutely brilliant. Want to make a booking but unable to decide on the Color. If anyone from team bhp was at the event, can you please tell me if the red looks as good as it does in photos?
Tornado red is the same shade as in the Kushaq - if that helps.

Unique colour for the Slavia is only Crystal Blue - which is a royally confusing shade for now and looks different in each pic - dull and silver'ish blue in some pics, bright and sky blue in others, dark blue in night shots, etc.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 14:09   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagman View Post
Real world walkaround of the Slavia

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=AOrIvFOSmpY

Must say, looks a real stunner in that shade of blue
Is it just me or is the boot carpeting really poorly done? No cladding on the lid either.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks