Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2023, 08:24   #1066
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Is it worthwhile buying it with this engine if 99% of the driving will be done on congested small city roads?
Old 15th January 2023, 09:33   #1067
REN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Is it worthwhile buying it with this engine if 99% of the driving will be done on congested small city roads?
Assuming you’re talking about the 1.5 with DSG here, no it’s absolutely not worth it for congested city driving. Stop-and-go traffic is the achilles heel of dual clutch transmissions. For predominantly city driving, I’d stick with the 1.0 with TC. If you really want the 1.5 TSI, you could consider the manual variant.
REN is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:10   #1068

Hello people, i too own a 1.5 MT Slavia. Few days back I completed 1k kms and finally started to unleash the engine but encountering torque steer only in one direction.
Initially i didn't notice it and i always had to grab the steering hard to balance the car while flooring the accelerator pedal. But then i felt the car needs unreasonable about of power from me to handle while giving it full power. Then i decided to go on an abundant road and left the steering wheel to see what's happening. Every time I floored it in 1st n 2nd gear. Car always torque steers to the right.
So i need a little help from you guys. Is it just my slavia or your car does it too? It would be great if some of you could check this in your car and let me know..! Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 12:28   #1069
BHPian

Took the delivery of my Slavia 1.5 AT on 13th Jan. Have given it for getting the PPF done on Saturday which will be completed by tomorrow. Doing a trip to Kabini later this week. Eagerly waiting for the long drive . Initial ownership review coming up by next week . Expect a lot of comparison with my Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI which I owned for 15 Years with 1.23 lakh kms on the Odo.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-car-.jpg  

Torque123 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 00:44   #1070
BHPian

Gentlemen, anybody has any leads on when MY 2023 cars will be released?
I am waiting for the new updates to come out before booking. Kind of getting restless.

CHEERS!!
Rachit
Old 19th January 2023, 09:31   #1071
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Took the delivery of my Slavia 1.5 AT on 13th Jan. Expect a lot of comparison with my Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI which I owned for 15 Years with 1.23 lakh kms on the Odo.
Congrats on your new ride. You are the perfect person for people like me who have been driving a Ford from past 12 years! I would like to know how the steering feedback is, how is the handling and build quality in comparison with Fiesta. Will have to retire one of our Ford's in a year or two. Tough to like any car as Ford's steering feedback has spoiled us
Old 19th January 2023, 13:38   #1072
BHPian

I moved from a Ford Ecosport Ecoboost Titanium+ to a Skoda Slavia Style DSG and my observations on the parameters you gave are as follows:
Steering feedback - The Ecosport had better steering feedback though the difference is not night and day. To make it more objective, in percentage terms, in my opinion it is 10-15% better in the Ecosport. The Slavia steering is light at lower speeds and weighs up very well as the speed builds up. This I found to be quite a boon in Mumbai traffic.
Handling - It is difficult to compare the two on this parameter as one is an SUV and the other a sedan. Now this is subjective. if you subjectively negate the higher centre of gravity effect of the Ecosport, I would say that they are more or less on par.
Build and build quality - Build is par while fit and finish is better in the Slavia. On this parameter (overall basis), I would definitely put the Slavia ahead by a decent margin.
I suggest you do a serious test drive of the Slavia.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 13:45   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morespeed View Post
Initially i didn't notice it and i always had to grab the steering hard to balance the car while flooring the accelerator pedal. But then i felt the car needs unreasonable about of power from me to handle while giving it full power. Then i decided to go on an abundant road and left the steering wheel to see what's happening. Every time I floored it in 1st n 2nd gear. Car always torque steers to the right.
I have a 1.5DSG so I am deprived of this, but isnt torque steer supposed to happen in one direction only? It depends on which side of the wheel can maintain more traction and then pull towards the opposite side. In this case, the left wheel might have more traction due to which when you floor the pedal the car steers right. But I guess XDS or some feature within the car was supposed to prevent this but really not sure since I havent experienced this to analyse it any further.
Old 19th January 2023, 20:57   #1074
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Congrats on your new ride. You are the perfect person for people like me who have been driving a Ford from past 12 years! I would like to know how the steering feedback is, how is the handling and build quality in comparison with Fiesta. Will have to retire one of our Ford's in a year or two. Tough to like any car as Ford's steering feedback has spoiled us
Let me break the bad news to you right away. You wont find even half the steering feedback that the 1st gen figo/fiesta offered. That HPS talked with your hands.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 21:28   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I have a 1.5DSG so I am deprived of this, but isnt torque steer supposed to happen in one direction only? It depends on which side of the wheel can maintain more traction and then pull towards the opposite side. In this case, the left wheel might have more traction due to which when you floor the pedal the car steers right. But I guess XDS or some feature within the car was supposed to prevent this but really not sure since I havent experienced this to analyse it any further.
Hi, thanks alot for responding.
Actually torque steer should happen in both directions depending on road, car steering and occupants in the car ! Steering only one side means that suspension, power to the wheels or something isn't balanced. And yes XDS should prevent this and that's what got me triggered.

Anyways... Yesterday i went to service centre and explained the issue. The alignment guy sat with and we went for a test drive and i floored it then he immediately started saying 'arey bhaiya itna kheechoge to idher udhar to steering jayega' then i asked them to let me test drive any other 1.5MT but sadly there was no 1.5MT there at that time. So we decided to test drive a 1.5DSG which had already clocked around 19k kms and to my surprise when floored the pedal that car also reacted the same way... Steering turned right slightly & Started to pull on right. I tried it 2-3 times, same thing happened every time. Though it was not as much as my car but that could be due to slightly punch difference between DSG & MT.
The SC guy immediately said 'dekha bhaiya isme bhi wohi ho raha hai... Ye har Slavia me hoga ye'

So then i was a little relieved that at least it's just not in my car but i guess in all Slavia 1.5s

I think your car would behave the same. Just keep it in D, drive it on 20-30 speed and then just floor it.. literally let it touch the floor. Let the car downshift and let it rev till 4-5 RPM and see steering should turn slightly tight. (Don't hold the steering at all while doing this & then observe. But obviously keep your hand near it to hold as soon as it happens)
Morespeed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:13   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Hello people, i too own a 1.5 MT Slavia. Few days back I completed 1k kms and finally started to unleash the engine but encountering torque steer only in one direction.
So i need a little help from you guys. Is it just my slavia or your car does it too? It would be great if some of you could check this in your car and let me know..! Thanks
I recall few owners complaining about the similar issue in other threads. Don't have them handy but I certainly recall the same issue called out by them too.

One solution can be to get the same issue verified at a different company service centre and they can diagnose and resolve it. Alternatively you can also visit a local wheel alignment shop to understand the issue. They may be able to point you to the potential cause and it will benefit when you visit the SC. Thanks
shubham322000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 14:35   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Hello people, i too own a 1.5 MT Slavia. Few days back I completed 1k kms and finally started to unleash the engine
Congrats on your new drive. I too own a 1.5 MT. I usually do not floor it in 1st, but have floored it in 2nd numerous times. I never felt it's getting hard for me to hold the lane. I will run a conscious test once and confirm. Also, what's the tyre pressure you maintain?

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2023 at 17:23. Reason: See mod note
Old 22nd January 2023, 18:50   #1078
BHPian

Hi All,
I noticed a thing when stopping the car on an incline. The gear lever required some effort to shift to Parking. It required more effort when I try to switch out of the Parking mode & once I had to put in a good amount of effort. This is what I do. I first disengage the Parking brakes, then depress the brakes, press the gear button & then shift. Am I doing something wrong? In the incline, should I keep the parking brakes engaged while shifting out of P mode? This is my first automatic so seeking members' opinions.

I checked the owner's manual, pages 88-89, but didn't find any recommendations there.
The below youtube channel explains how the parking mode works using the parking pawl. It doesn't recommend solely using Parking mode to stop the vehicle on an incline as the entire weight of the car is borne by the parking pawl for which it's not designed. Instead, it recommends first using parking brakes & then switching to Parking mode.
The second recommendation in this channel is not to put the gear to Neutral when stopping for a short time e.g. a traffic light. Engaging & disengaging the clutch wears it more than keeping it engaged & depresses the brakes to keep the car stopped. The Owner's manual also recommends the same. Quoting from this here.

"Stopping temporarily (e.g. at a junction): Leave the selector lever in D/S position and secure the vehicle with the brakes pedal".

Till now, I was switching to Neutral & either using brakes or parking brakes to secure the vehicle. So I need to change this practice for sure.

Another interesting thing I discovered in the Owners manual. Quoting from it here.

"Driving in neutral: If the system detects that no gear is engaged while driving, it automatically switches to neutral position. (Eco) will be displayed in the instrument cluster. Requirements for driving in neutral position:
  • D mode is chosen.
  • Neither the accelerator nor the brake pedal is pressed.
  • The vehicle speed is 20-130 km/h.
"

So the system is automatically switching to neutral mode i.e. disengaging & engaging the clutch. Will this reduce the life of the clutch? And Eco mode doesn't always mean two cylinders are deactivated. The car is switching to neutral mode to save some fuel when the above condition is fulfilled.
Should I then continue pressing the accelerator a little bit so that it doesn't go to neutral/Eco?

BTW, the engine oil level is at halfway mark after ~6k km & coolant level is a tad about minimum. I am planning to get a top up done without waiting for the first service which is due in 5 months.

Last edited by amit1agrawal : 22nd January 2023 at 18:53. Reason: added more content
amit1agrawal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 19:25   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Hi All,
I noticed a thing when stopping the car on an incline. The gear lever required some effort to shift to Parking. It required more effort when I try to switch out of the Parking mode & once I had to put in a good amount of effort. This is what I do. I first disengage the Parking brakes, then depress the brakes, press the gear button & then shift. Am I doing something wrong? In the incline, should I keep the parking brakes engaged while shifting out of P mode? This is my first automatic so seeking members' opinions.

I checked the owner's manual, pages 88-89, but didn't find any recommendations there.
The below Youtube channel explains how the parking mode works using the parking pawl. It doesn't recommend solely using Parking mode to stop the vehicle on an incline as the entire weight of the car is borne by the parking pawl for which it's not designed. Instead, it recommends first using parking brakes & then switching to Parking mode.
The second recommendation in this channel is not to put the gear to Neutral when stopping for a short time e.g. a traffic light. Engaging & disengaging the clutch wears it more than keeping it engaged & depresses the brakes to keep the car stopped. The Owner's manual also recommends the same. Quoting from this here.

"Stopping temporarily (e.g. at a junction): Leave the selector lever in D/S position and secure the vehicle with the brakes pedal".

Till now, I was switching to Neutral & either using brakes or parking brakes to secure the vehicle. So I need to change this practice for sure.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ULcSauSJrsY

Another interesting thing I discovered in the Owners manual. Quoting from it here.

[i]"Driving in neutral: If the system detects that no gear is engaged while driving, it automatically switches to neutral position. (Eco) will be displayed in the instrument cluster. Requirements for driving in neutral position:
While at an incline I would recommend first push your foot brakes, then take off the hand brakes and finally try to move from P to D..

Do not bother about the car slottiing to neutral ... You cannot control the DSG traits everytime. Ensure you have the warranty at all times
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:05   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsristi View Post
While at an incline I would recommend first push your foot brakes, then take off the hand brakes and finally try to move from P to D..

Do not bother about the car slottiing to neutral ... You cannot control the DSG traits everytime. Ensure you have the warranty at all times
This is what I do. You have to anyways depress the brakes to switch out of P mode. Let me rephrase my query. Do I need to keep the parking brakes applied, then depress the brakes, then switch out of P mode to N, and then release the parking brake in an incline? This is to ensure that the weight of the car is resting on the parking brakes & not on the parking pawl when switching out of P mode.
All my earlier cars are manual & they don't have an equivalent of P mode so wondering what's the right thing to do here.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks