Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2023, 16:54   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

Has anyone got the emission testing done for their City Hybrid yet.

Is there any specific method or procedure to do it. I wrote to Honda and they directed my query to the dealer. The dealer says you have to wait 10 minutes and let the engine come on on its own and at that time they can test the emission.

It seems a very odd way of doing this.

Do share of someone knows how the testing is done.
Old 12th October 2023, 10:55   #437
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to RAGHAV for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
There is a thing called "Maintenance Mode" to force start the engine on a Honda Hybrid.
  1. Make sure the parking brake is on.
  2. Turn the car “on” without starting it. You do it by pressing the start button twice without your foot on the brake.
  3. Press and release the gas pedal twice. Each time make sure you press it fully, and hold it there a second. Don’t press the brake with your other foot while you do this.
  4. Shift into Neutral. You need your foot on the brake to do this.
  5. Repeat step 3.
  6. Shift into Park.
  7. Repeat step 3. The driver’s interface display/meter MID should now display the message “Maintenance Mode.”
  8. Start the car. You do it by pressing the start button with your foot on the brake.

Note: This is not for driving, only running the engine. It doesn't turn on all of the features of the car, just the ICE. Several warning lights may also come on. You can exit the mode by turning the car off as you normally would.

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 12th October 2023 at 10:57.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 12:11   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to RAGHAV for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
These are exactly same steps as the Maruti Invicto, are you sure these are same for Honda also. These steps were posted in another thread here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5583303 (Hybrid cars run mostly on battery when idling | How then is their PUC done?)

The question is are the steps same for both Maruti and Honda City Hybrid and for that matter do all Hybrod cars have the same procedure universally?
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 19:12   #439
BHPian

Quote:
I tried the steps, but nothing happened. Tried it thrice. No change in the display, after doing the setup the car started like usual (in fact when I tried battery was charged and engine didn't start). I tried it thrice. Will try it once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
These are exactly same steps as the Maruti Invicto, are you sure these are same for Honda also. These steps were posted in another thread here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5583303 (Hybrid cars run mostly on battery when idling | How then is their PUC done?)

The question is are the steps same for both Maruti and Honda City Hybrid and for that matter do all Hybrod cars have the same procedure universally?
Makes sense, it didn't work for my City Hybrid 2022.
razeetg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 21:36   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
I tried the steps, but nothing happened. Tried it thrice. No change in the display, after doing the setup the car started like usual (in fact when I tried battery was charged and engine didn't start). I tried it thrice. Will try it once more.

Makes sense, it didn't work for my City Hybrid 2022.
I raised this as a complaint to Honda and it took a week for them to send me the steps. Reproducing below for fellow owners. I have tried and and confirm that these steps put the car in Maintenance Mode and the engine starts and can be revved. I completed the PUC procedure and got the certificate using the steps below.

HONDA CITY HYBRID - PROCEDURE FOR PUTTING CAR IN MAINTENANCE MODE FOR PUC CHECK

Procedure

Turn the vehicle to the OFF (LOCK) mode.

NOTE: Do the following procedure within 60 seconds to start the engine in the maintenance mode.

Turn the vehicle to the ON mode without stepping on the brake pedal.

With the transmission to P position/mode, press the accelerator pedal to the floor, twice.

Press the brake pedal, shift the transmission to N position/mode, then press the accelerator pedal to the floor, twice.

Press the brake pedal, shift the transmission to P position/mode, then press the accelerator pedal to the floor, twice.

Press the power switch while pressing down on the brake pedal. The vehicle is now in the maintenance mode and the engine will start.

NOTE:

If the engine coolant temperature gets too hot, the engine may not start until the engine coolant temperature drops.

To turn the engine OFF and cancel the maintenance mode, turn the vehicle to the OFF (LOCK) mode.

During the maintenance mode, some systems stop controls and the indicator for those systems come on.

During cold starts in maintenance mode, for about 60 seconds there may be some additional transmission noise, this is considered normal.

When starting the engine in maintenance mode, you may hear a groan/rattle for about the first minute, or when the engine decelerates. This noise is caused by gear tolerances, when the generator is not under load. This noise is considered normal while in maintenance mode.
Traveler is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 12:43   #441
BHPian

Quote:
I raised this as a complaint to Honda and it took a week for them to send me the steps. Reproducing below for fellow owners. I have tried and and confirm that these steps put the car in Maintenance Mode and the engine starts and can be revved. I completed the PUC procedure and got the certificate using the steps below.
Thank you. I'll try this and update. It seems very similar to the steps earlier.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th October 2023 at 20:19. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 28th October 2023, 22:09   #442

A year and five months ago, I embarked on a delightful journey with my Honda City Hybrid. This trusty steed of mine has been a savior on both serene highway escapades and the daily Bangalore traffic grind (let's be real, the never-ending Hebbal traffic is like a bumper-to-bumper ballet of frustration). But lo and behold, my trusty companion has made those mundane trips a lot less hair-pulling. The real hero here is the auto-hold function. You see, in Bangalore traffic, you don't just press the gas pedal; you press your patience too. Auto-hold? It's like having your very own personal valet, making sure your car doesn't sneakily roll back and play bumper cars with the vehicle behind you. And those well-cushioned seats? They've been my daily dose of therapy for surviving the concrete jungle.

But let's not dwell on the humdrum daily commutes; let me share a highway adventure that's a tale of tires, torque, and a twist of travel misadventures. We started from Bangalore to a place called Thiruvalla in Kerala, a cool 655 kilometers away. We chose the Krishnagiri route, zipped past Salem and Coimbatore, and eventually reached Kochi. But ah, here's where we took a detour via—Alleppey. Spoiler alert: It wasn't our finest decision. For the return journey, we opted for the MC road through Kottayam high range, and let me tell you, it was an absolute joyride.
Coming back to our machine, the City Hybrid on the highway is like a superhero donning its cape. When you say goodbye to the eco mode and hello to 252 NM of torque, that will give that i-VTEC engine an adrenaline rush. Some may find the sound of the i-VTEC engine's battle cry irritating, but for me, it's like music to my ears—every decibel an ode to the joy of acceleration.

We set off early in the morning, driving on eco mode until the sun joined the party. The ADAS features—lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control—were in full swing, and even the high-beam assist was doing its job beautifully on Hosur's roads. My friend, who took the wheel for a while, was convinced the car was making him sleepy, as he could drive it with just one finger (true story).

Now, let's talk e:HEV. It's a wizard when it comes to mileage, giving us a whopping 29.6 kmpl while we kept it in eco mode. Of course, once we switched off eco mode and let the beast roar, the numbers slowly started their descent. We took breaks for Salem's scenic beauty, quick pit stops for filter coffee, and a hearty breakfast after Coimbatore.

Honda City Hybrid Review-img_20231019_063403780.jpg
Honda City Hybrid Review-picsart_231028_214628268.jpg

The journey was smooth, and the driving dynamics, impeccable. Though we did experience some minor hiccups, like the rear passengers feeling a bit like they were on a bouncy castle at high speeds, and the NVH levels, well, let's just say they had some room for improvement. Oh, and don't even get me started on the undersized tire issue (Honda, we're looking at you).
But here's the best part: we reached our destination after 12 hours on the road, we weren't wiped out; we were refreshed, all thanks to those heavenly, spacious seats. The final mileage shown, you ask? A grin-inducing 28 kmpl.
655 kms covered and another 217 km showing in the odometer to reach reserve and I am sure another 100km I will get in reserve!(Oh, Honda, you do know how to make an entrance!) Who needs ventilated seats when you've got that and a great set of wheels? So there you have it, my journey with my Honda City Hybrid, filled with twists, turns, and a whole lot of highway hilarity.

Honda City Hybrid Review-img_20231019_164909142.jpg
Greenville is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:02   #443
BHPian

Hey, this works! I must have made a mistake earlier. I tried these again, and got emission test done! Thank you RahulNagraj, Raghav and Traveler for the steps. Although, I think the "Maintenace Mode" display came on MID after starting the car following all these steps and starting the car, not before starting the car (with ref to steps provided in RahulNagraj's post). But anyway, it worked. Better than having to wait for the engine to start.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2023 at 12:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post
razeetg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:06   #444
BHPian

I think I should write about my Bengaluru - Gujarat trip someday. It's been a year now. Got a mileage of 24+ in spite of flooring the accelerator at many places. But the important part was that the trip was very pleasant. I should have taken more on the road pictures for a good blog post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
A year and five months ago, I embarked on a delightful journey with my Honda City Hybrid....

Attachment 2522580
razeetg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 18:39   #445
BHPian

Quote:

Now, let's talk e:HEV. It's a wizard when it comes to mileage, giving us a whopping 29.6 kmpl while we kept it in eco mode.

The final mileage shown, you ask? A grin-inducing 28 kmpl.
Woah those are crazy efficiency figures. May I know how were you able to achieve these figures? I personally get around 18 if I'm being aggressive, 22 when being sedate in the city and around 20 when cruising at 100 Kmph on the highway.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 08:35   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post
Woah those are crazy efficiency figures. May I know how were you able to achieve these figure.
Well, I believe it's a combination of several factors that helped. Shell normal petrol, early morning drive on 6 lane Krishnagiri road in eco mode with extensive use of adaptive cruise control, and never pressing hard to go beyond 90 should have helped us.

Tbh, you can try this on highways as your city mileage is impressive.

Last edited by graaja : 31st October 2023 at 08:41. Reason: Minor grammar
Greenville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 17:35   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I believe it's a combination of several factors that helped. Shell normal petrol, early morning drive on 6 lane Krishnagiri road in eco mode with extensive use of adaptive cruise control, and never pressing hard to go beyond 90 should have helped us.

Tbh, you can try this on highways as your city mileage is impressive.
Yes, your mileage numbers are very impressive

I managed to get 24kms/liter on my last week Bangalore-Ooty 650km trip.

Honda City Hybrid Review-img20231028091909.jpg

There was still a couple of bars fuel left. I have never used the Eco mode anytime within the city as well and average mileage with full tank to full tank check is between 22 to 22.5kms over the last 1 year of ownership. Mostly driven in the city and includes a 600-700km trip every quarter.

I will try the Eco mode on the highway next time but hopefully there is no noticeable performance change. Cheers!
vijaykr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 14:07   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
Yes, your mileage numbers are very impressive
I have never used the Eco mode anytime within the city as well and average mileage with full tank to full tank check is between 22 to 22.5kms over the last 1 year of ownership. Mostly driven in the city and includes a 600-700km trip every quarter.
Thank you for posting this. I also get similar mileage when there are highway rides included. What I've figured out is that mileage is more dependent on driving style rather than economy mode, and economy mode helps with it by reducing high acceleration. Within the city alone, if it's mostly short trips and long waits in traffic with AC on, then I get 17 to 19, again depending on how long I have to wait at signals. Worst mileage is when I spend 5 to 10 minutes in signals for a total of 25 minute ride regularly. I'm overall very happy with the mileage and drive quality.
razeetg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 12:02   #449
BHPian

Bought Honda City Hybrid Zx blue in colour with following break-up:

Ex-showroom :2039000
TCS: 20390
RTO: 290175
Parking Tax: 3000
EW: 15142
RSA: 3054
Welcome Kit: 10799

Except Insurance I paid for the above break-up: 2280000/-

Insurance: 58255/-

God Bless!
jacobsam is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:28   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
Bought Honda City Hybrid Zx blue in colour with following break-up:
Congratulations. It's a simply superb machine. Will keep you and your purse happy for years to come. Did you not get any discounts. Many on the forum have mentioned about decent discounts on the hybrid.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks