Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2023, 22:44   #421
BHPian

Re: Honda City Hybrid Review

Performance: 8.4s 0-100 (stopwatch)

This seems to be too good to be true.I also watched a couple of runs of 0-100 and all point towards 10 s mark.Please elaborate if indeed the 0-100 timing is in 8's.
Old 23rd August 2023, 21:56   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedic View Post
Performance: 8.4s 0-100 (stopwatch)

This seems to be too good to be true.I also watched a couple of runs of 0-100 and all point towards 10 s mark.Please elaborate if indeed the 0-100 timing is in 8's.
I was pleasantly surprised too. Most tests on the internet are done with an almost depleted battery where the acceleration is in the mid 9s range. Yet with more than half a battery, or especially when it’s full, you get a very strong EV like instant torque from standstill accompanied by some wheelspin and you take off. I’ll attach a reel of a 0-185 run on a closed course with a full battery. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtWQg...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro_phoenix View Post
Hello BHPians,
Requesting your 2 cents on a dilemma.

Context:
I am deciding between VW Taigun 1.5L DSG and City ZX hybrid.
Both are very different cars yet I completely get where you’re coming from. I took a look a Virtus GT DSG too before going ahead with my City ZX e:HEV. What helped me go ahead with the City is that I felt like it was the best of both worlds.

The acceleration is quite addictive and it’s barely half a second slower on the 0-100 sprint with a good battery level compared to the GT DSG. It also offers instant torque at speeds below 40 making city drives much more effortless as there’s no waiting for a downshift or turbo spool. The braking is very strong thanks to all wheel discs. Handling is not bad either with a more hefty and feedback rich steering which is paired to a very comfortable suspension setup that’s not overtly soft. A tyre upgrade is recommended though. Cherry on top is the efficiency where I manage to get anywhere between 20 and 28 Kmpl depending on driving style.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd October 2023 at 21:23. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 10:21   #423
BHPian

Quote:
So, having a fun engine-gearbox combination is an absolute necessity for the new steed.
Between Honda City Hybrid and VW Taigun, you will have better experience with Honda in year to come in terms of after sales service, reliability and mileage.

If you are ok with the minimal boot space then go for city hybrid.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 13:00   #424
BHPian

Re: Dilemma of choosing between Honda City Hybrid e-Hev V & ZX CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Hello bhpians,

At the moment I am in the middle of choosing between City Hybrid V & City ZXCVT. I started with a budget of 18-19 lakhs & almost finalized the Petrol ZX model, during a casual TD of hybrid model ,the insane power delivery on tap made me rethink on my budget. Now I am doing a comparative analysis of both models and can use some feedback/help.

Here is comparison of both models on the relevant parameters:

Advantage of ZX CVT over e-Hev V variant:
  • Top of the line variant of Petrol powertrain. No Compromise on available features.
  • Few cabin elements like leather seats, soft touch material on dash, focus led cabin lights & Auto IRVM give it a plush feel to be in.
  • 6 airbags (A BIG pro for me)
  • Lane watch camera.
  • More boot space than hybrid.
  • Better LED headlight setup( Love it)
  • Tried & tested engine/gearbox combo, It's driving characteristics is well known.

Advantage of City e-HEV 'V' over Petrol ZX CVT
  • Superb power output from electric motor. acceleration is addictive. this is what has mesmerized me and my wife.
  • It has the latest drive train tech available in market.
  • Much better FE figures.
  • Better rear suspension
  • Sufficiently loaded with 4 airbags, Led fog lamps, spoilers and diffuser.
  • Same alloys & MID as in ZX.
  • Electric parking brake & wireless charger.
In my case the annual mileage is likely to stay within 7000 km with 65/35 distribution between city & highway trips. Mathematically there is not significant savings that I would realize, likely recovery period is around 6.5 years calculated with assumed Avg. Petrol price of Rs.125/l. I am attaching a sheet I created for this calculation.

Honda dealers are offering a flat discount of Rs. 1 lakh on V Hybrid in August which has brought down the prices difference between both variants only at around 2.8 lakhs now.

Cause of dilemma-
  • While I absolutely love is the power delivery and driving experience with hybrid engine in city, I am not able to come to terms with lack of 6 airbags and lane watch assist camera in Hybrid 'V' variant. In my opinion both are a must have features in a car costing Rs.21.7 lakh OTR Pune. This points alone are forcing me to go for petrol ZX variant.
  • I am also not sure if I would like the headlight throw of projector setup in V variant. being hybrid I won't be able to upgrade them as its an electrical part and will void the warranty.
  • Not much is known about the maintenance of Hybrid combination in India since it barely a year old launch.

I am not considering Elevate as its a newer model and chances of unknown niggles in it are high. Also I am a sedan person.

Need feedback if I should go for V-Hybrid with a car lover's greed & ignore the airbag/camera/headlight related concerns. or simply go for ZX CVT. I can't stretch the budget to ZX e-Hev at all.

p.s. Request to mods if you can add a poll for this post, I couldn't figure out how to do it.
I own the NA New City and trust me had my share of niggles with the car includes Jerks while engaging from second to third gear. Service centre here in Bangalore struggle to get this fixed. Imagine the complications associated with Hybrid and the expertise including training imparted to these guys. Touch wood, It would be a disaster if you happen to face any issues.
Old 26th August 2023, 07:26   #425
BHPian

Re: Dilemma of choosing between Honda City Hybrid e-Hev V & ZX CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
Need feedback if I should go for V-Hybrid with a car lover's greed & ignore the airbag/camera/headlight related concerns. or simply go for ZX CVT. I can't stretch the budget to ZX e-Hev at all.
Given that your running is 7000 kms an year which is near 600 kms a month. Based on your running and calculations, your ROI is too deep for a hybrid car. There is no point paying upfront money for something that you will recover in 6.5 years I will say go for non hybrid top variant with six airbags.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 20:12   #426
BHPian

I am considering City Hybrid HEV and Virtus / Slavia 1.5 TSI as the primary options for an upgrade that I am planning by the end of this year.

Test drove the City Hybrid today. While I love the way the hybrid tech works seamlessly, I am a bit concerned about long term parts support for the City Hybrid.

Since the motor, HV battery and the engine head are sourced from Japan, I am afraid there would be a potentially long wait time to source these parts in case something goes wrong.

While one can assume Honda’s reliability with reasonable confidence on Japanese engineering, events such as a rodent attack or an accidental repair might put one in need of part replacements in the Hybrid System (say HV cables, solenoids, control units, clutch packs, etc.).

Also since the volumes are low and their newest launch Elevate doesn’t come with hybrid powertrain, I am doubtful if Honda has plans to localise the hybrid system.

Would love to hear BHPians’ views on this aspect.
Auto freak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 11:26   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Test drove the City Hybrid today. While I love the way the hybrid tech works seamlessly, I am a bit concerned about long term parts support for the City Hybrid. Since the motor, HV battery and the engine head are sourced from Japan, I am afraid there would be a potentially long wait time to source these parts in case something goes wrong. Would love to hear BHPians’ views on this aspect.
I can't comment on accidental damage but I can give you some assurance of reliability. I drove a similar hybrid, Toyota Prius, for 9 years in the US. Total distance covered was way over 200k kms and there were absolutely no issues whatsoever. It was operated in temperatures of minus 20C to 55C and left covered in snow for weeks. Even the 12V battery and the brake pads were original when I sold it after 9 years. So, I wouldn't worry too much about the hybrid components.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City Hybrid Review-100_8316.jpg  

Lobogris is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 13:05   #428
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Honda City Hybrid, ZX CVT last week. Took SO along for the drive.

1. Response from the dealer, Magnum Honda, was good, and the Sales Rep was decently knowledgeable about the vehicle and its features.
2. Took a considerably long test drive (about 45+ minutes).

Observations:
1. The car is a hoot to drive. Very quick off the block. Wonderful acceleration, very good response to inputs from the pedal. Driving a 2006 Fiesta, i find this comparable to its handling.
2. Butter smooth experience in driving. Though the steering seems very light. Impressive turning radius too.
3. Instrument cluster needs getting used to. Too many options. and cluttered. Too many cryptic symbols.
4. Manual knobs for AC control is a big plus point for me. (Don't like the new trend for all touch screen based controls)
5. ICE screen looks/seems/feels very dated. Would certainly need a major upgrade in this department.
6. SO was impressed with the space in the rear row. Lots of legroom. Back pockets are well designed with common use case in mind. I am about 6'+ and was able to sit behind the driver very comfortably.
7. This is a car only for 4 people. The middle seat in the rear row is raised and is mightily uncomfortable, even for short rides. Though they provide a 3 point seatbelt for the middle seat. Probably a small child can sit comfortably.
8. Boot space is inadequate, might fit about 2 larger suitcases at the max, with some smaller size ones.
9. Spare wheel - smaller wheel, probably to keep costs down. Since it is placed in a thermacol moulded enclosure, and the wheel is sitting over the battery, feel that a normal size wheel cannot be placed in the same space.

Overall, I like this vehicle.
venkat_partha is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 10:57   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_partha View Post
Took a test drive of the Honda City Hybrid, ZX CVT last week. Took SO along for the drive.

Overall, I like this vehicle.
Pretty much what I feel too, *the* one thing that I dislike is the boot space. The price difference between this and a Camry is what made me steer to this in spite of the small difference. I didn't even test drive the Camry because I feel it's overpriced (probably because it's an import)
Old 18th September 2023, 17:50   #430

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
Requesting your 2 cents on a dilemma.

Context:
I drive almost 20 km everyday in peak traffic (through HiTech city area in Hyderabad) with a monthly airport ride (70 km roundtrip) on the plush ORR. I am deciding between VW Taigun 1.5L DSG and City ZX hybrid. I'm currently driving a 2018 manual Jazz and while it's a great practical package, it makes me frown every time I see an empty patch and try to floor the pedal. So, having a fun engine-gearbox combination is an absolute necessity for the new steed. Some of the factors weighing in on my mind for both these are are:
Taigun:
Pros:
  1. On-demand torque on tapping the accelerator.
  2. Ride and handling of the Taigun, seems to be perfectly balanced between city and highway needs.
  3. 5* Safety.
Cons:
  1. Given how I drive in traffic 90% of the distance, with multiple patches slow moving bumper to bumper traffic, DSG is the elephant in the room.
  2. Interiors that are designed for 2013. Only the design and feel. Not sure about the longevity, and future rattling.

City Hybrid
Pros:
  1. Hybrid technology which seems to give the best of both worlds, an EV-like behaviour in the city with an ICE-like range.
  2. The plush feeling as soon as I enter the cabin.
  3. Aspirational value of city while growing up as a gen Z kid.
  4. The hybrid seems to negate the rubber band effect, which was the only con of the petrol City CVT.
Cons:
  1. Lack of exclusivity, with the City looking similar to Amaze.
  2. Lack of luggage space. I'd be making monthly airport trips with an extended weekend's worth of luggage for 2 people.
  3. The low seating will make me suffer from the high beams of oncoming traffic. City drivers these days seem to be using them on well-lit undivided patches, with no regards for the other bikers and drivers.

Conundrum:
While the number of reported DSG incidents seem to have reduced now, I'm not sure if that's true or the recent victims are just being silent about it, as they've signed up for the risk while buying. At this stage of my life and career, I am apprehensive to spend time on dealing with DSG failures and of landing in a spot where I don't have a car in my garage . Should I avoid having a DSG as the only car in my garage? Also, should I factor in the Honda hybrids being a new technology within India and the service engineers not being experienced to handle the issues? Please advise.

As you rightly mentioned DSG is the big white elephant in the room.

It totally depends on your willingness to take the risk and how long you are going to own the car.

I currently own a Skoda Rapid DSG - 2017 model and upgrading to a Hond City eHev this month.
It was no brainer during my Skoda purchase as the Rapid and Vento were the only DSGs in 15L range during that time.
It was love at first drive, the instant power and authority during overtaking.
I was ready to take the risk just for the sheer fun the DSG gave. ( I was in my late 20s and the Josh was high )

6 years & 90k kms down the line, the expected DSG issue kicked in. The flywheel broke and clutch kit was badly damaged during a long drive. Costed close to 1L rupees to replace the flywheel, clutch kit & labour charges.

Problem is my much beloved skoda doesn't feel the same after this fix. Uneven power delivery, sudden surges even without acceleration, etc
( D4 to D5 shift doesn't happen during acceleration but only when the foot is off pedal ). It just pains to see the once solid powerful car struggle with these repeated niggles.

Decided to have the Skoda as a second car and fix it after a year or so. Finding a replacement was so confusing considering the SUV boom of recent years. Test drove XUV700, Toyota Hyryder Hybrid, Scorpio N, Slavia, Virtus. ( skipped Hyundai & Kia considering high way stability issues )

Finally zeroed in on City eHev

If you are looking for the super quick transmission and fun rudes go for the DSG
If you are looking for a stable and hassle free experience City Hybrid it is

Needless to say the low resale price of DSGs

I hope this helps
Raghunath N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 18:38   #431
GTE
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath N View Post
Problem is my much beloved skoda doesn't feel the same after this fix. Uneven power delivery, sudden surges even without acceleration, etc
( D4 to D5 shift doesn't happen during acceleration
You need to do an adaptation. Try this. Find a relatively empty road. Accelerate madly, the madder the better. Then do some high speed runs for a few minutes.

Last edited by graaja : 18th September 2023 at 20:19. Reason: Fixing quoted text.
Old 18th September 2023, 19:57   #432
BHPian

It's been 7months since we since I brought my Hyryder hybrid v Variant and I am really enjoying the driving so far.
Now my wife also wanted to upgrade to an automatic car(She presently drives Honda Brio) but this time our budget was around 10-14Lacs.
She drives around 45 kms everyday and buying a hybrid suited her best (EVs were out of question due to lack of convenient charging options for us. She loved driving my Hyryder so was convinced that she too is interested to buy CSUV only. So was looking forward to buy Grand vitara/Hyryder Automatic (Non Hybrid) or Pre-owned hybrid to fit our budget. Although there were numerous pre-owned options available in used car market but almost each one was available pretty close to the new car price as if there is no depreciation.

Just as I was going through pre- owned cars through various websites. A came across a Honda city hybrid 2022 model HEV on sale which appeared familiar to me. It turned out be one belonging to my colleague (From my previous job) who has brought it last year only. But now he wanted to sell it as he is moving out of country within 3 months. His asking price was 20 LAC( ODO 12000) in mint condition. I gave it a pass as it was out of our budget like other hybrids and it's a sedan too. I politely refused the offer. After around 15 days he called me back and now offered the same car for 18LAC. I again refused as it was still out of our budget and kept looking other options. Almost a month has passed and I now found the same car listed to 16LAC. I called him back and he suggested that he is willing to sell the car for around 15.5 LACs to me.
I suggested the car to my wife as now the car was pretty close to our budget. But my wife flatly refused to even have a look as she is not interested in buying a sedan. I continued convincing her for around 2 weaks and finally she decided to have a test drive at the showroom first.
We landed at Honda city showroom and took test drives of both Honda city CVT and HEV 2023 models. I enquired about about waiting period. The dealer had ready stocks of almost all models in most of the colours. But the biggest surprise wete the discounts on offer on 2023 models. The ZX CVT was available for a discount of about 1.5 LAC and the dealer was ready for more discounts if I commit to buy soon. Even the hybrid models has discounts between 1 to 1.5 lacs and even more but i must decide soon.

Now I realised why my friend was struggling to find buyers for his new Honda city hybrid. When even dealers are struggling to sell new launch facelift models and offering generous discounts in a market where CSUVs are selling like hot cakes with unimaginable waiting periods forget any discounts. Even second hand market is very much heated for CSUVs.

I just wanted to share this incident to suggest that if anyone is looking to buy Honda city hybrid or CVT he must also take into account risk of extremely poor resale values.

There were some serious cons in Honda city hybrid which I noted from the test drive( We both drove almost 20kms and came to same conclusion). This was the first time I drove 5th gen Honda city.
1. The head unit is ancient. You just can't use this
System in a car which cost almost 23Lacs onroad. Even cars which cost 10lacs comes with better system. Even the speakers despite being 8 in number sounded very poor. They were no match for my Hyryder V hybrid model.
2. The steering was extremely light almost like Honda Brio and this making both of us very uncomfortable. Hyryder stearing felt far more stable (With just the precise weight to it)
3. Suspension was pretty close my old Hyundai fluidic verna. Hyryder suspension felt very mature with European feel to it. I must say maruti/Toyota have come a long way in making suspensions. May be the big tyres on Hyryder were making some difference.

Yes there were definite pros
1. The pick up is definitely better than Hyryder.
2. The space inside is probably the best in the segment and infact it compared well to a segment ahead of it.
3. The interiors fit and finish were a shade better than Hyryder but not by a big margin. The colour scheme is really good.

My wife was again not convinced to buy a sedan after the test drive a we again politely refused the offer.
I just learnt that my colleague has finally found a buyer and the final selling price was Rs 14 LAC. This was after 2 months of first putting up the ad for sale.
I must add that my friend was looking for direct sale to potential buyers instead of online aggregators or dealers. Or anyone who was ready to ensure name transfer before he leaves the country. But even then the price he could negotiate for a car which he brought just around 1 year back suggest that Sedans have no future in our country.

Last edited by drsachin : 18th September 2023 at 20:01.
drsachin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 20:48   #433
BHPian

Last year when the Hybrid City was launched, I was willing to get one in Red color. The dealer in Chandigarh wasn't even bothered to entertain me.

I escalated on Honda's Social Media accounts and that's when they reached out to me, but with a caveat that there is a waiting of 6 months with a non-refundable amount of 51K. This ensured I was gone for good. Now I keep getting a call atleast once a month from the same dealer.

What I liked about the car was the smooth hybrid drive along with a stable ADAS, which other hybrids in the same price segment do not offer.

But agreed, Hyryder or Vitara have better driving view for the driver due to them being a CSUV.
Old 6th October 2023, 15:37   #434
BHPian

planning to book the hybrid Zx by the end of this week with deliveries promised within next ten days. Looking to improve the ground clearance without disturbing the dynamics and the ride quality. What would be the ideal tyre size for upgrade and preferred brand to go with.
Old 6th October 2023, 15:48   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
What would be the ideal tyre size for upgrade and preferred brand to go with.
Although not ideal I am happy with my 195/60/R16 Ceat SecureDrive

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks